RealKilla_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 0

#1 RealKilla_789
Member since 2007 • 3669 Posts

Do not post recommendations for game nights in this thread.  See recommendation thread to suggest games.

Hey everyone,

Help improve game nights by posting how you think it can be improved in this thread. Give feedback from previous game nights you have participated in. You can give feedback on any aspect of game nights:

-Is the time and day of the game nights convenient for you (usually game nights start at 5:00PM PT on Thursdays.

-Were you actually able to get into a game with the staff or others?

-What's the number one reason why you can't participate in some game nights?

-Do the game night reminders work? (Usually Jody or I send out a telegram)

-Do you feel as if your recommendations for the games you want to play are being implemented?

-Whatever you have feedback on please post in this thread!

Shout out goes to MUR1217 for giving me the idea to create this thread.

chris9801

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 chris9801
Member since 2007 • 68 Posts
I've attended other game nights and one tornament on Halo: Reach with gamespot staff (I got 4th place http://www.gamespot.com/unions/12032/forums/27491908 ). But as for this game night, I couldn't attend because of the late update. By the time I got to the live stream it just finnished. It's better if you send the message out 1-2 days before the event. Also, the livechat was missing.
waitaseck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 waitaseck
Member since 2006 • 2309 Posts
I wanted to participate in the Portal Kombat game night but my copy still has not shipped. Perhaps the game nights should wait until more people are able to get the games.
RealKilla_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RealKilla_789
It's better if you send the message out 1-2 days before the event. Also, the livechat was missing.chris9801

Fair enough, I'll try to send out the reminders earlier. And the livechat was there. It was located to the bottom-right of the stream page.
I wanted to participate in the Portal Kombat game night but my copy still has not shipped. Perhaps the game nights should wait until more people are able to get the games.waitaseck
Usually the game nights are set up at least a week after the game is released. I'm not sure why this one was so soon though. Thanks for the feedback.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#5 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

A few times we have played new games just two days after release night, with Tuesday usually being release night, I like playing new games when there is an interest, an even playing field, and people will be playing it and know how to play it. Also gives people a pretty good idea of what we will likely be playing for each night, but playing it so soon sometimes leaves out our European members where the game might not have released yet.

I'd like the time to be a little earlier but then it would be too early for people on th pacific coast. I'd rather it be on Sunday when most people would be off work and school but then the staff wouldn't be at the office.

MUR1217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 MUR1217
Member since 2010 • 229 Posts

I'd like the time to be a little earlier but then it would be too early for people on th pacific cost. I'd rather it be on Sunday when most people would be off work and school but then the staff wouldn't be at the office.Legolas_Katarn

Why is it necessary for the staff to be in office to play?

I also feel that the gamenight should be bit late.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Legolas_Katarn

[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]I'd like the time to be a little earlier but then it would be too early for people on th pacific cost. I'd rather it be on Sunday when most people would be off work and school but then the staff wouldn't be at the office.MUR1217

It's not always but many times the staff that want to or are able to play only have access to the game at the office, they are doing something like a show with Mortal Kombat, they record what happens if at the office, and the game night start right after work.

I'd like it to be earlier but it shouldn't be because it is already at the perfect time for the pacific coast. At 5PM people should be off work, home from school, or whatever c11asses they are taking, people working nights will also still be at home. If it is at 5 it can go on awhile without people neededing to get to bed for the night and allows time for people to play together after the game night is over. It's the perfect time to do anything. I'm two hours ahead of that time though and if the game night starts or ends late, like it often does, then I either have to leave for my night job right after or during the game night. For the time zone they are in it is perfect, especially considering 80% of the people I meet online are from California or Texas (me having lived in California and Texas currently). 

MUR1217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MUR1217

[QUOTE="MUR1217"]

[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]I'd like the time to be a little earlier but then it would be too early for people on th pacific cost. I'd rather it be on Sunday when most people would be off work and school but then the staff wouldn't be at the office.Legolas_Katarn

It's not always but many times the staff that want to or are able to play only have access to the game at the office, they are doing something like a show with Mortal Kombat, they record what happens if at the office, and the game night start right after work.

Did not know that.

NFSruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NFSruler
Member since 2009 • 508 Posts
A seperate one for europe would be nice.
MUR1217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MUR1217

The recommendation thread is not that effective as it not managed well.It would be better if a list of games should be provided every month by the management of the union and people should vote a single game from the list provided.It would make it more manageable.

sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 sexyweapons
Member since 2009 • 5302 Posts

There are many things i would do to improve gamenights.

Do a time which is suitable for players in europe and america

Do games which are so recent.I mean what happenend to playing the classics!

And finally try games which are cooperative and reqire teamwork.

RealKilla_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RealKilla_789

The recommendation thread is not that effective as it not managed well.It would be better if a list of games should be provided every month by the management of the union and people should vote a single game from the list provided.It would make it more manageable.

MUR1217

I think you've got the wrong thread.

A seperate one for europe would be nice.NFSruler

Seperate game nights? Gamespot UK used to do their own game nights. I dont' know if they still do anymore. I'll try to do some research on that.

RealKilla_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RealKilla_789
This is not the recommendation thread. Post recommendations for game nights in th recommendation thread. (See first post)
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Legolas_Katarn

A seperate one for europe would be nice.NFSruler

I don't know if they still do that or not but that isn't anything Real or I could help you with, that would be a decision for the UK Staff or if the UK members wanted to get together and set a time to play together, which you are welcome to do in the forum here. 

cosita46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 cosita46
Member since 2008 • 509 Posts

Had a great time and everyone was nice & funny.

Sorry Chris for not having Portal 2:(.  But I have it now :).

MUR1217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MUR1217
[QUOTE="MUR1217"]

RealKilla_789

I think you've got the wrong thread.

I am not actually recommending a game just commenting on ways to enhance the recommendation system.

Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#18 Bozanimal
Member since 2003 • 2500 Posts

I wanted to participate in the Portal Kombat game night but my copy still has not shipped. Perhaps the game nights should wait until more people are able to get the games.waitaseck
The number one reason I do not participate is because I do not have a system that supports whatever the latest Game Night is promoting.

After that, though, it seems game nights have shifted from popular existing releases to whatever is the newest blockbuster title. I would participate if these were more established games, or if these games had been out at least a month before having game night. At the very least I need some time to buy the game before game night and play it a bit to figure out how to log in, which means I need a couple weeks.

Happy gaming,

Boz

MUR1217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MUR1217

[QUOTE="waitaseck"]I wanted to participate in the Portal Kombat game night but my copy still has not shipped. Perhaps the game nights should wait until more people are able to get the games.Bozanimal

The number one reason I do not participate is because I do not have a system that supports whatever the latest Game Night is promoting.

After that, though, it seems game nights have shifted from popular existing releases to whatever is the newest blockbuster title. I would participate if these were more established games, or if these games had been out at least a month before having game night. At the very least I need some time to buy the game before game night and play it a bit to figure out how to log in, which means I need a couple weeks.

I agree with this

RealKilla_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RealKilla_789
I am not actually recommending a game just commenting on ways to enhance the recommendation system.MUR1217

Wow I'm sorry. What you said totally went over my head I guess. Let's see what Jody thinks about that, good suggestion.
The number one reason I do not participate is because I do not have a system that supports whatever the latest Game Night is promoting.After that, though, it seems game nights have shifted from popular existing releases to whatever is the newest blockbuster title. I would participate if these were more established games, or if these games had been out at least a month before having game night. At the very least I need some time to buy the game before game night and play it a bit to figure out how to log in, which means I need a couple weeks.Bozanimal

I've definitely seen that suggestion a lot. Understandable.
Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bozanimal
I sincerely apologize for crediting a prior statement from Bozanimal as user waitaseck. I value Bozanimal as a member of the community, and besides find him dashedly handsome, so I can only hope that he can somehow find it in his heart to forgive me.RealKilla_789
No worries, Realkilla_789, the quote system can be a little funny at times, and might even be prone to abuse in the wrong hands. :P

Happy gaming,

Boz
RealKilla_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RealKilla_789

No worries, Realkilla_789, the quote system can be a little funny at times, and might even be prone to abuse in the wrong hands. :P
Bozanimal

Whoops

NFSruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NFSruler

[QUOTE="NFSruler"]A seperate one for europe would be nice.Legolas_Katarn

I don't know if they still do that or not but that isn't anything Real or I could help you with, that would be a decision for the UK Staff or if the UK members wanted to get together and set a time to play together, which you are welcome to do in the forum here.

Alas, they do not do that anymore. Last one was a few years ago. 

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
I'm from Europe, so Game Nights are always a tough proposition considering they start at 1 am and I have to get up at 6. I understand that changing it to an earlier time makes absolutely no sense, but how about shifting game nights to Fridays? With weekends on the horizon, it's much easier to stay up late for all involved.

I also highly suggest making more live streams of game nights, to save bandwidth cost I think it could be reasonable to do it via ustream or justin.tv, if that's a concern. I think it garners more interest, especially with chatrooms.
NFSruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NFSruler

I'm from Europe, so Game Nights are always a tough proposition considering they start at 1 am and I have to get up at 6. I understand that changing it to an earlier time makes absolutely no sense, but how about shifting game nights to Fridays? With weekends on the horizon, it's much easier to stay up late for all involved.

I also highly suggest making more live streams of game nights, to save bandwidth cost I think it could be reasonable to do it via ustream or justin.tv, if that's a concern. I think it garners more interest, especially with chatrooms.BenderUnit22

100% agreed 

Dan_Lero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Dan_Lero
Member since 2006 • 7487 Posts

[QUOTE="NFSruler"]A seperate one for europe would be nice.Legolas_Katarn

They haven't done one in years. However myself and Caddy used to run a few UK Game Nights for both 360 and PS3 the other year, whether it's something i could get into swing again i don't know.

Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bozanimal
Let me preface this by saying that I love game night. I really, really enjoyed playing Team Fortress 2 with the community, and would like to participate in future events, when possible.

That said, it is a bit depressing that a turnout of 25 is considered good considering this is one of if not the most heavily trafficed video game enthusiast site on the internet. It should be a simple thing to let folks know a game night is coming up and having hundreds of participants, which makes me wonder, well, why not?

Gamespot benefits from participation because gaming against the community brings additional traffic to the site as users discuss the game night, bond, and feel compelled to remain with the community. When you start participating in these types of events you become vested; users visit more often and are less likely to roll into an alternative site.

Users benefit because they get to play the games the love and do so with people they can connect with outside the game. You meet more people with similar interests, and everybody wins.

To this end I have the following suggestions:

1. Assign Game Night to either a GS staffer or volunteer and prioritize it. Make it part of the job: Plan the event, show up early, chat up the users, and get everything going. Because volunteers lack monetary incentive, a committee might suffice so long as responsibilities are assigned. Maybe use a unique emblem as an incentive; emblems don't cost GS anything, after all.
  2. Make game night more frequent, for established games, and more consistent. This means having Monday night be XBox360 night, Tuesday PS3 night, Wednesday PC night, and Thursday a rotating "blockbuster" new release title. Make it the same time and games that have a large online userbase. For example, make August Team Fortress 2 month, with games weekly at the same time on the same server.
  3. Provide front page coverage. The front page is huge, but community game night has tangible benefits for Gamespot in terms of long-term user retention and page views, so it should be prioritized. Once a week a highlight of upcoming game nights will give the events much-needed visibility.
  4. Overcommunicate early and often. My biggest problem with every game night is too little information too late. I could have participated in Quake night, for example, if I'd had more clarity of the version, server, and setup instructions a couple weeks in advance. Modern games require more advice than just a date and time, server information, game modes, and even setup instructions help gamers get online early.

If this all seems like a lot of work, well, it is. But so was getting SYNC up and that's been fantastic. Right now GCGN is more of an aside, but it could be so much more.

Happy gaming,

Boz

RealKilla_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RealKilla_789
Thanks for the feedback boz, I agree with a lot of your suggestions.