#1 Bozanimal
Member since 2003 • 2500 Posts

When: 5:00PM PST, August 24, 2011
Server: (TBD)
What: Unreal Tournament, eitherUT 2004 OR UT3
Where to buy:UT 2004 via Steam, UT3 via Steam
Platform: PC
Map(s): (TBD)
Chat Resource:Game Night Chatroom  (requires Java)

1. How do I get in on the action?
It is important to join the chatroom (requires Java) so staff and GameSpotters can communicate. If you cannot remain in the chatroom for any reason, you are welcome to exit and return once you are finished playing a match. If the chatroom is not open for any reason, post a question in this game night discussion thread with your issue. Otherwise, the chatroom should be open on the day of game night.

2. I am from another country and timezone other than California time (Pacific Time). What time is that for me?
http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc. If you want to be extra tech savvy and you use Firefox, download the foxclocks application to monitor your timezone versus other timezones.

3. What mode will we be playing?
The game modes are normally requested in the chatroom, so ask away once you join. GameSpot staff are normally easy going unless there are specific requirements in the announcement of a game night. 

4. How do you select a game for game night?
GameSpot staff will consider suggestions made in this union. The official game night schedule can be viewed here. However, highly anticipated games may take priority. One example of this would be the UFC game night held with a variety of staff back in May 2009. Many GameSpot editors were playing for weeks before there was a chance to play with other GameSpotters. Fun times indeed!

5. Can I drop by late to participate?
Of course! Why not? Be sure to post what time you plan to show right here in this thread so we can stick around later in case you decide to show later than 5:00pm PT. 

6. What GameSpot folks will I be playing with?
The game and platforms really does determine which GameSpot Staff members are likely to play. You might even hit some of your favorite GameSpot editors to ask them when they plan to participate in another game night or which game is likely to get them to drop by as well. You can do so by sending them a PM or posting a new thread in the Union board. 

7. What is up with the bounty hunter emblem?
Every Game Night a player that meets the bounty requirement will get to take part in a grudge match later in the year against other bounty hunters on the game platform. Note that this process is still in planning stages. That match will take place on a game that pretty much anyone can play, such as a free bowling game, or some other such frivolity. The winner of the Grudge Match will receive a special emblem in his or her profile. 

8. Do I get an emblem for playing?
The only emblem goes to the bounty winner(s), which are listed on the Game Night feature page as MVP. It's next to impossible for staff to keep up with who enters the game server and who doesn't. Besides, isn't gloating over GameSpot Staff a great reward?

9. What is the bounty requirement?
The non-scientific method: The player GameSpot staff feels kicked their butts the most is normally the first to receive the emblem. However, we have also considered users who are respectful with others ingame as well. We normally choose one MVP per game or platform. 

10. So, do I have a good chance of kicking GameSpot butt?
Yes, unless it's Quake, in which case Jody will introduce you to her Rocket Launcher. Briefly.

11. What if you give the emblem to some other dude, even if I know I am better?
It's the staff's call on who becomes the MVP for the week.

12. Where should I report my game night experience?
Feel free to discuss your experience in this thread. You can also Tweet about it, post an update to FUSE, or blog about it right here on Gamespot!

lim_ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 lim_ak
Member since 2003 • 1545 Posts
It should definitely be 2004, UT3 isn't that great a game especially not in comaparison. Besides UT2K4 is more likely to have more people for the game night.
PolskaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PolskaKing
Member since 2008 • 39592 Posts
I'm thinking 2004, it was the better game imo. I also agreed with the point lim said.
digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#4 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts
I agree with both of these votes for UT2004, but if there are enough votes for 3 I'll reconsider ;)
Scalper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Scalper
Member since 2002 • 437 Posts
2004 all the way
One of my Favs
UT3 was ok but it wasn't as fun to me.
Dan_Lero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Dan_Lero
Member since 2006 • 7487 Posts
I'm up for which ever, as long as i know in advance so i can buy it.
lim_ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lim_ak

For people that are looking for patches and the free map packs for UT2K4 here's a link.

http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Unreal_Tournament_2004#Essential_Files

x-TwilighT-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 x-TwilighT-x
Member since 2008 • 429 Posts
Does it have to be steam?
Scalper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Scalper
Member since 2002 • 437 Posts
Does it have to be steam?x-TwilighT-x

It does not have to be steam. I would try and get online before it's time tho just to make sure it works. Make sure you DL the patches too if you need to
xSlider257

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 xSlider257
Member since 2008 • 264 Posts
A good reference site for patches and updates - http://www.beyondunreal.com/main/ut2004/ut2004essential.php
hesel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 hesel
Member since 2006 • 2738 Posts
I'm guessing we are playing UT 2004 ?
xSlider257

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xSlider257
Member since 2008 • 264 Posts
Yes, according to Synthia UT2004 was decided upon.
Dan_Lero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Dan_Lero
Member since 2006 • 7487 Posts
Sadly i won't be in this game night this time round, i'll be chit chatting it up though in the chatroom!
SQUALL20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SQUALL20XX
Member since 2005 • 6063 Posts
Is it over? Can't find anybody in the chat :/
lim_ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lim_ak

@Squall20XX Yeah we finished pretty much on time last night, Jody needed to get the laptop packed up for PAX.

Anyways it was cool going back to UT2K4, definitely one of my favourite games of all time. Good game all. 

hesel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 hesel
Member since 2006 • 2738 Posts
It was fun to play, I have only played UT 1 before. Quite funny trying to defend the base all by myself, with 3-4 people attacking.
Azghouls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 314

#17 Azghouls
Member since 2006 • 815 Posts

Ah crap! How did I missed this...

I would be happy to play either UT2004 or UT3 - man...and onslaught all the way! Loved the Torlan / Dawn map.

aargh!