Zero Escape series stalled, director cites low sales

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jag85 (4230 posts) -

by Danny Cowan on Feb 14th 2014 8:00PM

ChunSoft's Zero Escape franchise is currently in limbo, as series director Kotaro Uchikoshi revealed this week that his team was unsuccessful in securing a budget for a proposed third entry in the series, due to a lack of sales.

Though previous series entries Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors and Virtue's Last Reward were well-received overseas, Uchikoshi notes that neither game was much of a success in Japan, leading to disinterest in a sequel among managerial staff. Despite the recent setback, however, Uchikoshi maintains that Zero Escape 3 "will definitely be released somehow, someday!"

Fans of the series responded to the news with an outpouring of support via Twitter. Uchikoshi currently seeks funding for the project from a third-party investor.

"If there is an great investor who thinks 'Virtue is its own reward', I wish him/her to send me a message," Uchikoshi stated. "If you know such a wonderful person, please induce him/her to cooperate."

#2 Edited by c_rakestraw (14543 posts) -

That's a real shame. Hope they can turn things around. Really would like to see them finish the trilogy.

#3 Edited by Jag85 (4230 posts) -

There aren't any official statistics available, but if VGChartz is anything to go by, 999 sold pretty well in North America but quite poorly in Japan. I'd assume the same would be true for Virtue's Last Reward. It's a shame Spike Chunsoft don't seem to care much about the overseas market, but the fluctuating exchange rates probably have a lot to do with that.

Either way, Kotaro Uchikoshi should consider using Kickstarter to gain some funding for Zero Escape 3... I'd hate to see it become another Shenmue III.

#4 Posted by Planeforger (15401 posts) -

I'd Kickstart it without a second thought.

Virtue's Last Reward needs a concluding sequ- um...preque...hm...side-quel (?), pronto!

#5 Posted by Jag85 (4230 posts) -

I'd Kickstart it without a second thought.

Virtue's Last Reward needs a concluding sequ- um...preque...hm...side-quel (?), pronto!

For some reason, the designer Kotaro Uchikoshi isn't even considering Kickstarter. Doesn't he have faith that enough fans would support him? It may have flopped in Japan, but Zero Escape has a sizeable fanbase in the West.

#6 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16378 posts) -

this would be a Kickstarter project I would actually contribute to. I love the two games; easily some of the best writing and storytelling in the medium. But they left the second one wide open for the third game, so they really need to conclude the story.