Zelda: Would you play it if they mixed up the formula?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

Most people hold Zelda games in high regard. I'm one of them. Now I'd never claim to have played them all, that would be a lie. But I keep an eye on them and play one from time to time. All the way back to the original on the NES, I always thought they were charming and enjoyable games.

With that said, I was wondering what the general consencus is on Hyrule, Zelda, and the Link experience?

The experience is always set in a Fantasy realm. And that's fine really. it works well enough with the gameplay and story of LoZ. There's a reason it's earned so much accolade over the years.

But if they did something radically different, would you still be interested? Would you play a Sci-Fi themed LoZ? Or one where Link is a robot lost in a robot planet named H-iRul3? Does it need to be a fantasy setting for this to work?

I'll keep playing Zelda games if all they ever are is more of the same. I like what they are. But there's part of me who'd love to see the series take the same formula, and put it in different settings. Let me find the Holo-shot or the Master Laser Sword for a change perhaps.

And if they did shake up the setting, what would you like to see? Link made of stone in a Crystal version of Hyrule? Robot Link (Uplink?)? Or is it insane to even suggest such a thing? I'm interested in any responses. Thanks. :)

#2 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

I would love sci-fi zelda. They could do crazy stuff with gravity and switching the focus from swords to more shooting weapons.

#3 Posted by quatoe (5664 posts) -

I will always play the LoZ series, regardless of the changes. The series made me a gamer, brought the love and joy out of video games, and most of all, it helped with my overall life. I will always be a LoZ fan, I already have part of my LoZ backpiece finished and I plan on getting my whole back dedicated to Hyrule and it's wonderful inhabitants.

#4 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@quatoe said:

I will always play the LoZ series, regardless of the changes. The series made me a gamer, brought the love and joy out of video games, and most of all, it helped with my overall life. I will always be a LoZ fan, I already have part of my LoZ backpiece finished and I plan on getting my whole back dedicated to Hyrule and it's wonderful inhabitants.

I hope you share some pictures of that. By Backpiece I'm assuming you mean a tattoo? :)

#5 Edited by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

I'd be down for some experimentation, though more so on the gameplay front than the setting. Would be way more interested in seeing some fresh ideas be incorporated for once. Game's basically been the same since A Link to the Past. Way overdue for trying something new.

#6 Edited by DavidSchmidt (47 posts) -

It could be really interesting! I love to see studios shake things up, Especially in a series that has been around so long with games so much alike. Its hard to say whether it would work though. If it did happen I would really want the game to be successful, Because there would be chance for awesome weapons, environment, and game play. What It really gets down to is if it's a great game with a compelling story and awesome game play it would be a legend, but if not it would probably lose all the wiggle room that the series had and would go back to a more traditional LoZ game for the rest of time.

On a side note i think a lot of fans would shoot it down before it could get there (unfortunate) but I'm all for it!!

#7 Edited by Pedro (21019 posts) -

How about instead of mixing up the formula they come of with an entirely new IP without being unnecessarily constraint by the already established world of Hyrule?

#8 Posted by MirkoS77 (7026 posts) -

Eh. I'm with crake on this one. I'd prefer they change the mechanics more than the setting.

#9 Posted by quatoe (5664 posts) -

@quatoe said:

I hope you share some pictures of that. By Backpiece I'm assuming you mean a tattoo? :)

Yes it is a tattoo!

#10 Posted by RealJaysonguy (219 posts) -

Just wait until Zelda U comes out. Things are going to get crazy.

#11 Posted by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

I don't think I'll ever play a new Zelda game, even if it's different. The series has been overdone and I just don't care anymore. Hell, I find the endless remaking and rehashing absolutely insulting. I might be replaying the ones I own for nostalgia's sake, but that's it for me.

Make Link a gremlin and have him fight space monkeys, and I still won't care.

#12 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -

I don't think I'll ever play a new Zelda game, even if it's different. The series has been overdone and I just don't care anymore. Hell, I find the endless remaking and rehashing absolutely insulting. I might be replaying the ones I own for nostalgia's sake, but that's it for me.

Make Link a gremlin and have him fight space monkeys, and I still won't care.

The Legend Of Gremlin: Space Monkeys In Time --- sounds like perhaps the best game evah.

#13 Edited by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

Ocarina of Time proved that I have no loyalty whatsoever to the franchise. Since then, the only Zeldas I've liked were Oracle arc, Minish Cap, and Worlds, and those are the only types of Zelda games that will get my dollar.

#14 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

I would love sci-fi zelda. They could do crazy stuff with gravity and switching the focus from swords to more shooting weapons.

I always looked at Metroid as the sci-fi version of Zelda.

#15 Posted by Grieverr (2594 posts) -

The thing is, if you change it too much, is it still a Zelda game?

I agree that the formula needs some change, but maybe a new IP is what's needed, like Pedro said.

#16 Edited by ristactionjakso (5666 posts) -

A sci fi zelda idea would be great. Heck a 3D zelda as good as Ocarina of Time would be great.

But of course people would play it. Most would enjoy a different formula from time to time.

I personally think that they should make a 3D zelda where you start where gannon has taken over the world already and you were born into the dark world. It would a different spin on zelda.

#17 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

nintendo has already played with the idea a bit. skyward sword has one of it's regions dedicated to a pair of machine races and a dungeon about the juxtaposition of old and vibrant technology. twilight princess made the dark world and beings digitally themed to pair them off against the emotive inhabitants of hyrule.

anyway, i'd play a zelda that reinvents the series, but i worry that what people really want is a gimmick. it's like skyward sword comes out and works in these impressionism themes, but all people (gamers and critics alike) can talk about is "you hold the wiimote like link holds his sword! see?!" i know nintendo is about tight play and, yes, the swordplay is a part of the theme too. it's just that people seem to only see the series on the crudest level and then critique it for doing nothing new.

i think nintendo should have their main zelda team make a new series and then come back and take a look at gaming and where zelda fits in it.

#18 Edited by JustPlainLucas (73564 posts) -

Nobody wants the Zelda I want, because they're too afraid to want it. Basically, I want a grown up, dark M rated Zelda. I want to see Link shed blood. I want to see Link battered and bruised with cuts and scars all over him as he exists the dungeon. Basically, I want to see an Americanized reboot of the franchise, similar to Tomb Raider, but dissimilar in that it retains everything that makes the Zelda gameplay special. I want to see a Darksiders skin wrapped around a Zelda body. And, for the love of all that is Holy, I want Zelda to have a voice.

#19 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

Nobody wants the Zelda I want, because they're too afraid to want it. Basically, I want a grown up, dark M rated Zelda. I want to see Link shed blood. I want to see Link battered and bruised with cuts and scars all over him as he exists the dungeon. Basically, I want to see an Americanized reboot of the franchise, similar to Tomb Raider, but dissimilar in that it retains everything that makes the Zelda gameplay special. I want to see a Darksiders skin wrapped around a Zelda body. And, for the love of all that is Holy, I want Zelda to have a voice.

I'd play that. :)

#20 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18210 posts) -

Whatever they do, I think they need to go back to the open world structure, it's been 7 years since they last attempted it. Hyrule is such a rich and colorful world, it begs to be explored rather than see the player relatively handheld through it. They experimented with non-linearity with the latest 3DS installment, lets go open world again. The Wii U can handle it. I think.

#21 Posted by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

Eh. We've got enough gritty reboots on the market as is (not to mention Darksiders already fulfilling that specific take on Zelda). I'm down for some darker themes, but only if they looked to Majora's Mask for inspiration. Plenty of sinister stuff in that game while still retaining the same ol' Nintendo flair.

#22 Posted by Shmiity (5013 posts) -

Its about time they changed it up. For god sake- I would absolutely play a revamped zelda.

#23 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

I'd be fine with some experimentation in the setting, tone, and gameplay. The Zelda franchise is excellent and if it continues down the path it's on that'll never change.

However, I don't remember the last time I was truly excited for a Zelda. I'd see news of a sequel and think "that's cool" and then eventually play them. But despite all the excellent level design or tweaks to the gameplay, it always feels familiar, easy, and rarely surprises in it's execution.

#24 Posted by MirkoS77 (7026 posts) -

Don't know if I'd go so far as to have it that dark, but I want it to look like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vi3srAvl1w

But, we'll again get this I've no doubt (slightly higher resolution):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jPpSldc0XM

I'd like a Zelda that has a very ethereal aesthetic to it. There are a lot of aspects that I'd like Nintendo to step away from (the childlike characters and races), but I could deal with that if a more semi-realistic and majestic tone were taken in its presentation.

#25 Posted by cooolio (436 posts) -

A sci fi zelda idea would be great. Heck a 3D zelda as good as Ocarina of Time would be great.

But of course people would play it. Most would enjoy a different formula from time to time.

I personally think that they should make a 3D zelda where you start where gannon has taken over the world already and you were born into the dark world. It would a different spin on zelda.

This is a wise man.

#26 Edited by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

I'd rather they just take the formula and design philosophies of the series and create a new IP set in a sci-fi world.

You know, kind of like Darksiders.

#27 Posted by DonkeyBrains (36 posts) -

They can leave the futuristic stuff to a new Metroid game. I don't mind futuristic elements in the game, but it really should stay in the unique fantasy world that Nintendo created. I would like one with darker themes, maybe even darker than Twilight Princess, but light-hearted games like Windwaker are really fun too. They will do something different with the next WiiU game, I'm sure of it. Zelda has always been different, people just ignore the differences because they see Link dressed up the same way.