Your women and video games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

Well I was not sure whether this was the appropriate section to create such thread but couldn't find any more suitable.

Anyway... while I know that nowadays many women do play video games still I'd like to ask the male population of the community.
What's the opinion of your wives or girlfriends about video games? Do they enjoy gaming? Do you guys play together or maybe do you have to fight with your spouses all the time about it? Basically what you've got to say about your girl's behaviour when they see you gaming?

Females over here could also give some feedback of course.

Thanks!

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
She did enjoy the occasional Oblivion, pokemon and a few point & click adventures. Didn't much care for anything else.
SergioP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 SergioP
Member since 2002 • 1338 Posts
To date, my girlfriend is the first girl I've ever dated that has ever asked to see any of my video games (Halo 4). That said, she doesn't play herself and has no desire to play on any regular basis. She's not a gamer. We don't live together so my video games have not been in the relationship spotlight.
valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 valium88
Member since 2006 • 4455 Posts

My fiancee is not much of a gamer, but respects me doing it. She loves to watch me play open world RPG's though, she occasionally ventures with me in Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim too name a few. She knows I have a lot of other hobbies, and so does she, so it's not like it's all I do, that would probably not be accepted in the long run, nor would I want her to.

Apocalypse324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Apocalypse324
Member since 2007 • 1486 Posts

She never played games before we got together, now she will occasionally play something like Rayman or Donkey Kong but she still doesnt play very much. She will however sit and watch me play games often though. She liles when I play story driven games but will also sit and watch me play games like Dark Souls. I usually play at night but sometimes play during the day, but she hasnt really ever given me crap about playing or anything. She has her hobbies she likes and knows I have my hobbies, Im open from the begining and wont give up my hobbies and dont expect anyone to give up theirs.

We both have kids and make time between work and everything else so we still all do stuff as a family and make time to spend with just each other as well. As long as family is first, thats all that matters, but my free time, playing games is what I usually choose to do unless I am fishing or something, which she likes to go do as well

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

My wife doesn't mind me playing videogames but she's not interested in playing them.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

My wife plays a bit of Kingdom Hearts, Ico, Street Fighter 2 and Littlebigplanet, but she's not a big gamer and she can go months without gaming.

I rarely go a day without gaming, but I'm no more of a game nut now than I was when she married me, so provided I take care of everything that needs taking care of, she's fine with my gaming.

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts

She occasionally plays a game casually, which is honestly about the level I play. I'm not nearly into games like I used to be.

cryfreedom66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 cryfreedom66
Member since 2005 • 654 Posts

mine doesn't game much at all. She played (and enjoyed) little big planet with me and got really into PvZ, and loves bejewelled...thats about it. That said I've always been a big time gamer so she knew what she was getting when she fell for me ;)

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

my girl loves playing games =). i'm happy about it because she understands when i want to play and it works out that we can spend time and i get my play time. girl gamers rock!

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#11 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
On a blue moon my wife would play. I wish she played much more. She'll buy some casual crap and play it once for two hours and be done with it.
Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

My wife likes roleplaying and simulation games. She loves Pokemon, loves Harvest Moon, loves Animal Crossing, etc. We do not game together because she does not have the skill to play the games that I like (platformers) but she will watch me play them and on occassion we get together to play family games (like Nintendoland) together with our children.

Mo-licious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mo-licious
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts
I'm the primary gamer in the family and my husband doesn't mind at all. We play a lot of couch coops together (Halo series, Borderlands, Left for Dead, Gears of War ... on and on). My husband's passion is playing/recording music so quite often he plays accompanying tunes while I game. Quite awesome if you ask me. :)
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

I hear a lot of gamer guys say that they think a girl is more attractive if she likes gaming.

For me it's the exact opposite. I've dealt with many fake gamer-girls who only say they like video games for attention. They play some games, but not enough to really get into the gaming culture as you would call it. They know Mario, Zelda and Halo, and they may have heard of Final Fantasy but never touched a single FF game, but they've never even heard of games like DragonQuest or Persona. Beyond Good and Evil? Forget about it!

Most of the girls I met who say they're gamers really only say it for attention and they're really not that into gaming when I try to talk to them about it. So the poser gamer girl is the kind of image I have in my head whenever someone talks about gamer girls.

And from my experience, it never seems genuine when a girl talks about how much she likes gaming.

So unlike most guys, when a girl likes gaming, it's a turn-off for me.

My girlfriend hasn't even heard of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Somehow, I'm the only gamer in my family. I got it from my grandfather who used to play Super Mario Bros. on the NES and Donkey Kong on the SNES. He gave me his NES when I was a little kid, and he doesn't play games anymore. My cousins play Fifa every once in a while, but that's about it.

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
My girlfriend plays almost as much as I do. Although we tend to like different kinds of games. She goes more for action, shooters and button mashers ( I'm sick of her ranting about bioshock being delayed repeatedly) and I go more for RPG's, sandbox, and strategy games.
shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6847 Posts

Wife is more into social gaming via smartphone. However, she'll get done with some Just Dance, Sonic, or Smash Bros.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#17 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

My GF is weird about them. Sometimes she'll bash them and other times she'll play the hell out of them.

metalgrinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 metalgrinch
Member since 2005 • 455 Posts

It would be hard for me to find a "match" when it comes to games. While I do love your Shadow of the Colossus and Journey type games every now and then, my real love is for hardcore violent action games; games that are VERY male oriented and testosterone specific. You know, your Resident Evil's, Devil May Cry's, God of War's and such. 99% of the time, girls who would play games don't lean towards these.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

My wife plays something occasionally, like Motorstorm Pacific Rift which she has a great time with, but she's not into RPG's or action/adventure stuff because she's not familiar with them and ends up wandering around with no idea what to do unless I'm sitting right there to tell her. She doesn't mind that I play at all, in fact she's happy that I've got something fun to do because she's really bored with flipping through 100 channels of crap on the TV.

I don't play too much, just from after dinner until about 8:00 in the evening, then we'lll usually watch a movie together. So it's not like I'm neglecting her :)

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

Well, all the women I know are video game characters so it all dovetails rather nicely.

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts
I'm the only female gamer in my household, any decisions when it comes to the games bought and played are made by me. It's a good thing being single to be basically since there's no arguments over who gets to use the TV.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

I hear a lot of gamer guys say that they think a girl is more attractive if she likes gaming.

For me it's the exact opposite. I've dealt with many fake gamer-girls who only say they like video games for attention. They play some games, but not enough to really get into the gaming culture as you would call it. They know Mario, Zelda and Halo, and they may have heard of Final Fantasy but never touched a single FF game, but they've never even heard of games like DragonQuest or Persona. Beyond Good and Evil? Forget about it!

Most of the girls I met who say they're gamers really only say it for attention and they're really not that into gaming when I try to talk to them about it. So the poser gamer girl is the kind of image I have in my head whenever someone talks about gamer girls.

And from my experience, it never seems genuine when a girl talks about how much she likes gaming.

Somehow, I'm the only gamer in my family. I got it from my grandfather who used to play Super Mario Bros. on the NES and Donkey Kong on the SNES. He gave me his NES when I was a little kid, and he doesn't play games anymore. My cousins play Fifa every once in a while, but that's about it.

GeoffZak
persona? really that is what you count as a gamer. i have 300 games in my collection but i don't have any persona or shin megami tensei games.. i think what you are looking for is an rpg gamer girl lol
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

[QUOTE="GeoffZak"]

jsmoke03

persona? really that is what you count as a gamer. i have 300 games in my collection but i don't have any persona or shin megami tensei games.. i think what you are looking for is an rpg gamer girl lol

Not at all. Don't put words in my mouth. I just used two game series has examples and they happened to RPGs.

I don't expect every gamer to have played Persona, but to have at least heard of it. It's one of the biggest JRPGs on the market. But to these girls, it's mad obscure and hipster.

You've at least heard of the Shin Megami Tensei series, they haven't. If you call yourself a gamer, I'd be surprised if you haven't heard of Shin Megami Tensei.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#24 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

My girlfriend only plays games on Facebook. She does enjoy watching me play certain games, most recently Max Payne 3. We make popcorn and kind of make an event out of it, I love it. Right now I'm replaying Half-Life 2 (she's never seen it before) and she's enjoying it a lot.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

My girlfriend has played (some) and enjoyed (most) of my library. She particularly liked Skyrim, Crysis 1, and Dead Space.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

As of now, I am single. However I'm going to tell you the games that I played with my women.

Kate: mostly beat'em ups

Ivana: mostly beat'em ups and a little bit of World of Warcraft

Erica: horror games and racing games

I never really explored the videogame hobbie with any of them, sometimes I was just playing and they just sat next to me and played. But I have a bunch of female friends that like beat'em up games, I don't know maybe because it's fun and simple to play them and it doesn't requires a lot of skill to master the majority of them.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

I like my video games like i like my women.

Sleek, shiny, reliably entertaining and with enough replay value.

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

No gf at the moment but most girls I've met don't care for video games. My brothers girlfriend outright hates them yet she plays farmville and other crappy games on her phone.