Your Video Game Pet Peeves

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

What are your pet peeves in video games? It can just be in general or it can be specific games.

I primarily play shooters on PS3, and I gotta say, I really hate how many shooters are restricted to close quarters combat, even games like Sniper Elite V2, Sniper Elite 3, and sniping in Far Cry 2, 3, & 4. Call of Duty campaigns usually have firefights taking place within only 25-50 yards.

Sniper Elite sniping requires you to compensate for bullet drop and wind for targets farther than 100 meters, which is, ironically, unrealistic for the distance. I've seen a guy on YouTube shoot a target at 100 yards (91 meters) with a 1911. I'm pretty sure you don't have to take bullet drop and wind into account for at least a few hundred meters in real life shooting. Any real life shooters can go ahead and correct me. I wish the maps were bigger so bullet drop and wind resistance would be more realistic. But of course, there always has to be limitations for balancing and whatnot.

Sniping in Far Cry is limited to about 150 meters. Past that distance, your bullet just disappears even if you can see your target clearly. Why have such irresistible sniper rifles when you're limited to sniping at close range (for sniping)? Hell, just before I made this thread, I was aiming down the scope of my Buzzsaw in Far Cry 4 and couldn't hit a target that was clear as daylight. I moved up closer, shot at him, and then the game decided I could have the kill. O_O

And of course the obligatory freezing, lagging, and invisible walls we've all experienced as gamers are pet peeves.

How 'bout you guys?

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#2 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Needless QTEs

Luck-based minigames

Arbitrary item/weapon removal

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@mastermetal777 said:

Needless QTEs

Luck-based minigames

Arbitrary item/weapon removal

Oh my God! Thank you...for replying to the thread!

Whose balls do I have to suck to make a thread in Games Discussion that gets more than zero replies?

QTEs piss me off too. Resident Evil 6 is QTE City and I hated the QTE boss fights in Far Cry 3.

Dhelweard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 Dhelweard
Member since 2014 • 29 Posts

Where to even start.

Generally, my biggest pet peeve right now is unfinished games that are being released at full price. It's especially awful when the developers hype the game up far more than it needs to be hyped, just to buy the game and see it crash and burn immediately. Watch Dogs was a game like that; hyped so damn much, but it turned out to be an awful mess that wasn't at all what I had expected from the trailers they had shown. I didn't buy it at release, so it wasn't so infuriating to me, but Destiny was a different story. Went to the midnight release, played it for about 15 hours and, after that, I realized that was all the game had to offer for original content. The rest were those 15 hours over again, just with higher difficulty - truly a slap in the face.

Another general pet peeve would be mobile games with cash-grabs and energy. I won't lie, I actually enjoy some mobile games here and there, but the majority of them are clones of really popular titles, cashing in on the re-skins of previous games. Then they add energy, where you have to wait a damn fortnight just to do anything else in the game - for people like me, who like marathons and immersion, mobile games are absolutely dreadful. Not to mention the micro-transactions and the lack of player communication to the developers. Wish a little love would come to the mobile gamers, but I guess that'll come with time.

Boy, that was long. I'll just summarize my other points, haha.

• "Follow quests", where the NPC you're following is slower than molasses.
  • When your sword is equipped on your back, but it just hovers there.
  • Quick-time events.
  • Quests that, once you fail, you can never do them again unless you go start another play-through.
  • Achievements and challenges centered around collecting every piece of __________ in the game.
  • Characters, quests, or achievements that are only earned if you've purchased the game during beta.
quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

My biggest pet peeve is in games are as follows. Texture pop ins annoy the **** out of me, especially when it happens right in front of you GTA style. I can't even count how many times I have crashed a plane from a tree just randomly appearing. Another thing that really annoys me is a poorly written story. Gaming stories aren't amazing by any means but some do have the magic to really capture how great they can be. I have quit playing some titles just because the story was shit.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Loading, poor AI, huge spikes in difficulty curves.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

My video game peeves:

Inescapable death scenarios

Overly powerful/invincible bosses

Quick Time Events

Ammo rationing

Lengthy cut-scenes

Numerous cut-scenes

Lag

Puzzles that require you to read a game guide

Action/Adventure type games without checkpoints or too few save points

Games with only one opportunity to get it right or you have to start the whole game over

Games without enough healing

Instant death or near instant death attacks from antagonists