Your unpopular opinions

• 116 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

Saw this motif in an OT topic, decided to bring it over to games. What are your unpopular opinions regarding games and gaming?

Mine are:

- Indie games have become consistently better while high-budget games have become too stagnant (for the most part, of course), wasting too much time and too many resources on superficial characteristics. My favorite games of the year have been, consistently, indie games (since 2008, with Braid).

- Art style is more important than sheer graphical prowess. I find some independent titles, such as Risk of Rain and Hyper Light Drifter, both using pixel art, better looking than plenty of the single-palette HD games, which have a generic look to them (again, for the most part. There are, of course, AAA titles that look gorgeous). Few games have as evocative visuals, to me, as The Swapper or FEZ.

- I like the direction Nintendo has consistently taken with consoles: rather than trying to operate in the same realm of the PC (at a lower budget), it innovates with controls and gameplay.

- I think companies should invest in motion controls (yes, that includes the Kinect and Sony's motion-capturing hardware) and new input methods (like Steam's controller's trackpad) rather than stop at our current technology: analog controllers, mouse and keyboard.

- I think broadening the audience to games is fantastic - the casual and hardcore niche don't compete with one another; there will always be games specific to each genre. By co-existing, they allow the gaming industry to have more capital to invest into making better games.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#2 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Here are some of mine

- Indie gaming is way too overvalued. There are plenty of non mainstream games that aren't indie that are fantastic. If all you know of is what's advertised, then yeah mainstream gaming is stale, but if you actually research, you'll see that there are still tons of great non indie games. That being said, Indie games still have really awesome ideas and I've enjoyed a few. I don't hate them... Just think that it's not as great as some say.

- First person horror games are stale. Amnesia was tense, not terribly scary, but with so many games taking the perspective and employing Amnesia's mechanics, it's become way too stale. Bring back the fixed camera third person perspective like the old Silent Hill games.

- JRPGs are better than WRPGs and have some of the best writing in all of gaming.

- RDR is highly overrated. It's a good game; solid shooting, great production values, but the story is boring until the very end, (had no sympathy for any of the villains, John was the only really sympathetic character) and the overworld lacked truly fun activities. solid game, but hardly game of the year.

- The original Bioshock has good production values and little else. Excellent sound design and graphics, but the story isn't very well written, and the gameplay feels clunky and underwhelming at best.

- Majora's Mask is the best Zelda, and it's the best game of all time. (Also, Wind waker beats OoT).

There's a few to chew on.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

RPGs Suck !

Kojima sucks !

And Dark Souls is not Difficult at all....... And it Sucks !

NEXT !

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@Lulu_Lulu: Dark souls not difficult? What are you smoking? Granted, I think the "impossible game" stigma attached to it is false, but to say it lacks challenge at all is just wrong.

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

- CoD and FIFA/NFL games are slowly but surely killing gaming due to the amount of money they are making. Most developers feel they can get away with either imitating or releasing rehash after rehash.

- JRPGs are significantly better than WRPGS.

- Last gen >>>> This Gen.

- Most AAA games turn out to be disappointing.

- The Bioshock series is incredibly overrated but has the potential to be far better. Infinite was a step in the right direction but the story was ridiculous, and were it not for a certain twist the first game may well be considered pretty mediocre.

- Bioware well and truly screwed up after making the game of the generation in Mass Effect 2.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#6 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Stealth games and stealth in general are not fun.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Indie games are way overvalued. There very little that most of the indie games do to improve gaming.

Moral and Dialog "choices" are not game play.

WRPG have been getting worse compare to JRPG.

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 bob_toeback
Member since 2006 • 11287 Posts

Nintendo has never made a good game controller (Except perhaps the SNES) That's probably not a very unpopular opinion though

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

I have no unpopular opinions :D

But a few on the edge is that equality and all that PC BS have no place in gaming and its rediculous that we gamers should be forced to see games change just because a small group or a group feel under appreciated or left out.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#10 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Half life 1 & 2 being the most overrate game ever combined with all of Valves games.

I don't see the appeal of Steam and their digital games

I don't like tne Bioshock games

puzzle games and platformers aren't as fun as other genre's

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Next gen reveals all suck and are currently a waste of money. Besides better, upsacled graphics, what else is there? Plenty of steam left in current gen.

Most JRPG's and strategy games suck. Final Fantasy 7 and Chrono Cross was fun back in the day, but playing games like Ni No Kuni now is a Ni No no no. I would like to see more real time, action based RPG's like Dragon's Dogma combat combined with Skyrim's open world.

Devs need to stop trying to be politically correct and just make the game they want to make. **** the feminist movement bullshit and self entitled members of the gay community. Just tell the story the way you want to tell it and put in the characters you see fit.

Uncharted 3, GTA IV, and Bioshock Infinite suck. Burial At Sea should have been a standalone purchase like Blood Dragon.

League Of Legends looks like pure shit.

Pro gamers are NOT athletes.

Mass Effect 3 is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Granted the endings suck, but the actual game is pretty good and I'm curious to see where the next Mass Effect will go.

All Batman Arkham games, including Origins, look like boring button mashers.

GTA Online sucks and gets boring pretty quickly.

PC gaming is overrated.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

Broadswords are better than assault rifles.

Punching stuff is better than shooting stuff.

Airstrikes and environmental destruction are better than cutting edge visuals or modern gameplay concepts.

Indie games are generally novelties that you play a few times and then never touch again.

Without fail, the campaign in every entry of the Arkham franchise is the least compelling element of the game.

TMNT: Out of the Shadows is hands down the best arcade release of the year.

The world needs a great multiplayer-focussed GI Joe game.

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood featured the single most compelling multiplayer experience of the generation.

GTA Online is a better game than GTA 5.

Avatar image for AK_the_Twilight
AK_the_Twilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 152

#13 AK_the_Twilight
Member since 2008 • 286 Posts

The Mass Effect series is total garbage and has nothing interesting or innovative.

Call of Duty isn't a bad series. It's not great, but I can still have fun playing it.

Titles like Gone Home are not art and do nothing creative with the gaming medium itself. "Telling a story through exploration" is not a valid method of doing something artistically innovative with the interactive gaming medium.

Halo 4 should have never been made. They should've stopped Master Chief's story with Halo 3.

Zelda: Skyward Sword used motion controls in a smart and creative way.

GTA IV was boring, mostly because getting from mission to mission was tedious and uninteresting.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

GTA V SP is boring.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#15  Edited By LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

gtaiv is one of the worst games i've played all generation

i used to use the word "deep" to describe games with a lot of systems, even if they were just about shooting things in the face, but i kind of cringe when i hear it used in that way now.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#16 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@capaho said:

GTA V SP is boring.

+1

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ turtlethetaffer

Overwhelming Force is not a challenge. Its just cheating. Dark Souls is a Masochist's wet dream and nothing more. And on top of that, its an RPG, that alone disqualifies it as a difficult game because of stats and character progression, Magnitude of execution is determined by numbers instead of player skill.... See, not difficult.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

1) If a video game is good it is good because of the people who made it, not what system the game is on.

2) While loving my PC I feel its inferior for gaming because the vast majority of games on it are just trash indie titles shat out for the sake of making a quick buck, the next largest portion just being the same games found on consoles, a small portion of actual good games that are PC exclusive.

3) Good graphics do not equal good game.

4) Paying for xbl gold is a fools choice.

5) Nintendo is a thoughtless, talentless company without a single original idea that relies solely on hardware gimmicks and milking franchises.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 El_Zo1212o

@HipHopBeats: "... look like boring button mashers."

"looks like" is an odd phrase to build an opinion on.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

I forgot 6) Digital downloads of games are for suckers.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ Gargus

Hell Yeah ! :D

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lulu_Lulu

@ El_Zo1212o

Reatail is not going away. The music and movie industry don't limit their market by favouring one method of distrobution over another, why would they do that ? If the video game industry did that then they shouldn't bother counting themselves as an industry because thats just stupid. But you may be right, if they are dumb enough to believe exclusivity is is a good Idea then maybe they are dumb enough to to limit their audience by favouring Digital Distrobution. I and the rest of the majority don't buy Digital as a general principal.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 El_Zo1212o

@Lulu_Lulu: First, #4 had to do with Xbox Live Gold, not digital distribution. Second, are you seriously suggesting that the music industry doesn't favor digital distribution over CDs?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lulu_Lulu

@ El_Zo1212o

You bet your sweet ass I am ! :D

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 El_Zo1212o

@Lulu_Lulu: And sweet it most definitely is, but unfortunately you're wrong about the digital distribution thing.

DarthGumballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 DarthGumballs
Member since 2013 • 226 Posts

Nintendo is a steaming pile of trash.

Japanese games suck.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I agree with a lot of the sentiment here about Indie games... I think too much emphasis is placed on them.

Also I thought GTA V was underwhelming.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lulu_Lulu

@ El_Zo1212o

I'm right, I think I'm right

gralsean16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gralsean16
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Gameplay is always better than graphics. (I like to play low-res COD on my low-end laptop; don't ask me why.)

Most free-to-play games are good than others, especially if it's not pay-to-win. (That being said, I'm still hoping that Garena will publish Path of Exile in our country.)

P.S: This is my first post in the forums and I'm still trying to adapt, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

Uncharted 3 was better than Uncharted 2.

Linear games/experiences are better than semi-open world or even sandbox games.

I honestly don't care one bit about games like Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Country Returns or pretty much Nintendo/Indie titles in general, once I made that switch to 3D game worlds I was officially done with 2D style games and platformers.

Co-op completetly butchers the core experience of a game. No single player game will be made better by adding in a co-op function, if anything it ruins the design and hurts the overall atmosphere and immersion while also taking away resources that could better be used to elevate that single player experience.

VintAge68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#32  Edited By VintAge68
Member since 2010 • 530 Posts

GameSpot reviewers are overrated... (-_-;)

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 turtlethetaffer

@Lulu_Lulu: Have you played more than five minutes of the game? It's meant to be a challenge... There are very few moments in the game where it truly overwhelms you and, when it does, there's usually some way around it. If the game was actually complete runthroughs, I wouldn't have gotten far on my second playthrough in just fifteen hours. But guess what? I'm at the end.

It's designed much like Shin Megami Tensei IV (or rather SMTIV is designed like it). Mess up, don't learn, and the game's nearly impossible. Learn from your mistakes, adapt and you'll succeed.

If you could just grind your way to victory, how have people completed low level runs? I watched a guy do a playthrough where he started out at level one and ended on level one.

How does that equate to someone being able to grind their way to victory? The game's still challenging at level 125, just like it is at level 5.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lulu_Lulu

@ turtlethetaffer

Haven't Played It At All. Lol, infact I haven't even Seen it.

Anyway those low levelers completed it with sheer persistance, naturally this turns fights into endurance battles, chipping away at the baddies health, more tedius than challenging. Notice how RPGs don't grade your performance like Hack n Slash games do ? Because its impossible to gauge how good someone is if magnitude of execution has a statistical basis. Not just for the player but for the badies aswell. The Genre itself is flawed, Dark Souls being a good RPG only makes it an overall worse game.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 turtlethetaffer

@Lulu_Lulu: You haven't seen it? Really> Then you can't have any say on the matter.

And that's true for any game with challenge... You can effectively overcome the game while ridiculously weakened if you persist enough. Games like beat em ups and stuff in that vein shows that. Yet again, leveling up does not in any way guarantee victory. It's almost always your approach to a fight that determines the outcome.

But again, if you've never even seen it how can you say if it's good or bad?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lulu_Lulu

@ turtlethetaffer

I'm not critising Dark/Demon Souls Directly. I'm critising the genre and by extension, Dark Souls. Haha loop hole !

Plus I never said leveling up guarantees victory, I said Magnitude of execution has a statistical basis. Basicly it means its difficulty is scewered.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Final Fantasy X-2 is a great game. Easily my favorite in the series.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#38 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I somewhat enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

Another one I recalled;

- While consoles are considerably inferior than the PC I find their existence to be symbiotic towards the PC - it is only because of their massive user base, numbering in the hundreds of millions, that certain games can be developed (specially the ultra-high-budget ones). Similarly, the progression of PC hardware is what determines when companies like Sony and Microsoft decide to release new hardware, before the discrepancy between their hardware and computers becomes ridiculous.

- Having the hard copy of a game is pointless in this day and age. They occupy a disproportionate amount of shelf-space, are stored in outdated media, deteriorate over time and cost more to produce (reflected in their sale price) than a digital game. DRM is present or not in games whether they're physical or digital copies - the same way you have physical copies of games with DRM, there are digital copies of games without DRM (majority of the Steam library, entirety of GoG library).

- Game stories will never be able to compete with books. When you're reading a book, the only input you receive is the story/storytelling, while games make you split your attention between audio, video, gameplay and all the elements of a game. It can be a powerful tool for storytelling, as seen in 'Brothers: A tale of two Sons', but games' stories simply lack the depth of any good book.

- Handheld gaming is just as important as consoles and the PC.

- Gamepads are one of the worse input methods in existence. Unless the game relies solely on binary inputs, the gamepad will fail horribly - it lacks precision, and analog sticks are one of the worst methods for handling 3D games.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#40  Edited By RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts
  • Metal Gear Solid 4 deserves 5.0, more cutscenes than gameplay and those cutscenes are full of repetitive dialouge. Don't mean to be rude, but in the written review on Gamespot, Kevin VanOrd says that Metal Gear Solid 4 has 'A brillant mixture of storytelling and gameplay', he is clearly sucking Hideo Kojima's dick to say that.
  • Heavy Rain deserves 6.0, itis overrated and poorly executed, nothing can make brushing your teeth or changing babies engaging or enjoyable.
  • Saints Row The Third deserves 9.5 and Game of the Year 2011.
  • Saints Row 2 deserves 9.5 and Game of the Year 2008.
  • Skate 3 is not 'more of the same', it deserves 9.5.
  • Far Cry 2 is a missunderstood superb game that deserves 9.0.
  • Mafia II is a missunderstood masterpeice that deserves a 10.
  • Splinter Cell Conviction and Resident Evil 5 are the biggest 'screw you's to the original fanbase in gaming history (that's not to mention that Resident Evil 5 was garbage regardless), Conviction deserves 6.0 and Resident Evil 5 deserves 3.5.
  • The original Assassin's Creed is not repetitive.
  • Third person is better than first person.
  • Gameplay matters more than story.
  • Just Cause 2 deserves a 9.5 and a Game of the Year 2010 nomination.
  • Mass Effect 2 is boring, people need to learn that grea.
  • Driv3r was a good game last generation, it deserved an 8.0.
  • The Saboteur is a superb game that deserves a 9.0, there is nothing wrong with the controls and that's coming from someone who gets annoyed easily due to bad game controls.
  • Single player matters more than multiplayer.
  • The FIFA games are copy and paste and are nothing more than pay checks for EA.
  • The PSP is better than the Nintendo DS, both are great handhelds though.
  • Gran Turismo 5 is not dissapointing, it deserves 9.0.
  • Uncharted 3 is just as good as Uncharted 2, both games deserve 10.
  • A game should receive a Game of the Year award if it is the most fun game of the year, not the most original game or the game with the best story.
  • A lot of exclusives are overrated, most of the time, if a game is an an exclusive, it will receive critical acclaim.
  • The Nintendo 64 controller is the worst designed controller in gaming history.
  • Not every game with third-person shooting needs a cover system.
  • The original Prototype is better then the original InFamous but InFamous 2 is better than Prototype 2.
  • Duke Nukem Forever is FUN, and an the end of the day, that is all that matters.
  • Hitman Absolution deserved 9/10.
  • Tomb Raider (2013) deserved 10/10.
  • Grand Theft Auto V is better than GTA San Andreas and it is a hell of a lot better than Grand Theft Auto IV.
  • There will come a time where games have no gameplay and all or only have one hour of sh*t gameplay and critics will reward said games 10/10 ratings.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 turtlethetaffer

@RageQuitter69: How in the hell is the first Assassin's Creed not repetitive?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness is the best Castlevania in the series, mechanically, musically and atmospherically.

Beagle050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 Beagle050
Member since 2008 • 737 Posts

The COD series has been horrible after COD:WaW, and every game since hasn't deserved a higher view score than 7. The gameplay sucks, each game feels like a rehash of the previous one, and the campaigns are cliche-ridden and atrocious.

COD zombies should not have gone beyond COD:WaW. Let's be honest: it's a cheap, stale gimmick at this point. Zombies are a skeletonized horse that Treyarch continues to beat, despite the fact that the minigame hasn't been interesting since WaW's Der Riese.

Bioshock Infinite was an overall mediocre game. It had a good story, the voice acting was good, and the graphics were beautiful, but they neglected the gameplay. As a shooter, it fails miserably. As a movie, it's decent.

American military "hero" games like COD, Battlefield, etc. are uninspired and mind-numbingly stupid. I want to play as someone different for once, not the "USA #1!" usual garbage plots in every modern shooter. How about a military shooter where Americans are the enemy, or a civil war-type scenario? I'm tired of the same Russian bad guys in every game. Doesn't matter how implausible it is - all military shooters are pretty implausible. How about a shooter where your motives are questionable, or one that makes you actually think rather than mowing down heards of retards screaming out phrases in Russian or Arabic?

dbz987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 1

#44  Edited By dbz987
Member since 2006 • 3765 Posts

-Ocarina of Time is the worst Zelda game ever made. Skyward Sword is the best Zelda game in the series.

- I like the direction SE is taking with Final Fantasy

- Super Mario Galaxy 2 is overrated

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#45 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

SP should be sold separately.

Zombies have been under utilized.

Sims are better than racers.

BC is not worth it. Why burn your next gen consoles hrs playing last gen games?

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 El_Zo1212o

@turtlethetaffer: He made any number of statements that had me completely baffled, but that wasn't one of them. The original Assassin's Creed was about gathering intel on your targets and analyzing it in order to execute(ha ha) the perfect hit. Whenever I replay it(I've completed it three times now) I do all the investigations for every target. The only ones I ever consider skipping are chasing down those damnable flags.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lulu_Lulu

@ turtlethetaffer

Oh yeah forgot mention...... "character progression" is one of the defining characteristics of an RPG, so not leveling up in D Souls is essentially a kinda dumb. Its a masochists wet dream.

touchscreenpad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 touchscreenpad
Member since 2013 • 220 Posts

I fear single player games might be starting to disappear from the gaming industry.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#49  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69431 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Kojima sucks !

And Dark Souls is not Difficult at all....... And it Sucks !

NEXT !

I share this opinion.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#50  Edited By MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

My unpopular opinion is that the XBox One is a better system than the PlayStation 4. Around here, declaring your liking for the XBox One over the PS4 is asking for a cascade of hate from folks whom you hope don't take gaming as seriously as they make it sound. An old saying holds true: "it's only a game."

Both the Xbone and PS4 will be great systems, but I'm choosing the Xbone over the PS4 because the Xbone has games that I want which aren't on the PS4, like Ryse, Forza 5, Titanfall, and Halo.