Your TOP 5 Game Publishers !

#1 Edited by mjorh (738 posts) -

I haven't seen a similar topic so i decided to have a little discussion about the best publishers, i know a lotta factors should be considered u know it's not just about the best videogames or sth ...

Here it goes for me:

5- Electronic Arts - Yeah we all know how they have been in the recent years with their weird strategies but u gotta admit they've had undeniable impact on the industry

4- Warner Bros - Mortal Kombat and Batman Arkham !

3- Ubisoft - They do have delays and stuff but they've released awesome titles like Assassins Creed, Splinter Cell, Far Cry Series and etc.

2- Take Two - They may even be better than Sony in some aspects u know with their ground-breaking titles like Bioshock,GTA and etc

1- Sony Computer Entertainment - I've had always this positive impression toward Sony , they seem to have more decent manner and with having studios like Naughty Dog , it sure deserves to be number 1 !

Honorable mentions : Bethesda, Nintendo and Capcom .

#2 Edited by JamesJoule (167 posts) -

Favorite gaming publishers.... They pretty much suck but here's my exceptions

Take two...they published GTA v..BioShock..borderlands and mafia.. Which are superb games except the latter one

Bethesda for their awesomeness

Ur question wouldve been much easier if it were your top least favorite pubs

valve...really cool guys

Mm don't know if rockstar is considered also a publisher but anyway they published one of my all time favorite which is max Payne ofc.

#3 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11424 posts) -

Don't have one. My loyalt ends at games. No Publishers, Developers or Distributors.

#4 Posted by mastermetal777 (1209 posts) -

Hmm, never had to think about this, but here goes nothing.

Square - back when they were just known as Squaresoft. They made Chrono Trigger/Cross, Final Fantasy 6, Xenogears (my all-time favorite game), Kingdom Hearts, all great JRPGs that really pushed the boundaries of their game design.

Naughty Dog - From Crash to Jak to Uncharted to The Last of Us, Naughty Dog has never steered me wrong. They seem to understand how games are shifting, and are more than happy to do what they love doing instead of giving into player demand so quickly.

Rockstar - If not for GTA, since only GTA5 ever really captured my attention, then for L.A. Noire, Red Dead Redemption, and Max Payne. They know how to make quality games.

Irrational - the BioShock series is phenomenal, and what the team has done with that IP is beyond amazing in my eyes.

Ubisoft - Another quality major game studio. Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia, Far Cry 3, and Rayman are all excellent games. And the upcoming Watch Dogs looks so damn promising it hurts.

#5 Posted by bowchicka07 (1073 posts) -

Bungie- Halo is my favorite MP for a long time running.

Ubisoft - AC, Far Cry 3, Rocksmith,

Bethesda- Oblivion, Skyrim, Dishonored

Square Enix- Final Fantasy!

EA- Mass Effect,

#7 Posted by mjorh (738 posts) -

Favorite gaming publishers.... They pretty much suck but here's my exceptions

Take two...they published GTA v..BioShock..borderlands and mafia.. Which are superb games except the latter one

Bethesda for their awesomeness

Ur question wouldve been much easier if it were your top least favorite pubs

valve...really cool guys

Mm don't know if rockstar is considered also a publisher but anyway they published one of my all time favorite which is max Payne ofc.

Yeah , should've asked the "worst" .

Don't have one. My loyalt ends at games. No Publishers, Developers or Distributors.

Seriously? Since when? i mean what's caused u to be like this toward publishers n stuff.

#8 Posted by benleslie5 (7816 posts) -
  • Atlus
  • Naughty Dog
  • Square Enix
  • Oddworld
  • Levek 5
#9 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7400 posts) -

Rockstar for GTA

Bethesda for Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

#10 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

1. Ubisoft
2. Bethesda
3. Square Enix
4. Capcom
5. Crytek (ok take it easy)

#11 Posted by Jacanuk (4321 posts) -

Hmm, don't really have any favorites but a top 5 of publishers/devs i usually look at for good games

1: Naughty Dog
2: Sony
3:Take-Two/Rockstar
4:Blizzard/Activision
5: Indie scene.

#12 Edited by kingcrimson24 (458 posts) -

5. EA Games ( Burnout , Mass effect , Battlefield ... )

4. Sony Computer Entertainment ( for God of war , last of us , uncharted )

3. Rockstar ( GTA , Red dead , max payne )

2. Microsoft game studios ( Halo , Forza , fable , gears of war , Alan wake )

1. Bethesda ( Elder scrolls , fallout )

#13 Posted by vashkey (33722 posts) -

EA, Microsoft, Nintendo, Capcom and Take Two

#14 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11424 posts) -

@ mjorh

Nothing. I'm disloyal by nature. Theres no point to being loyal, you'l miss out out on all the good stuff.

#15 Posted by alim298 (1312 posts) -

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
HHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHAAAAAAAAAH!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHH!!!!!!

EA o_0

#16 Posted by tempura13 (463 posts) -

No particular order:

• XSeed Games/Marvelous USA
  • Atlus
  • NIS America
  • Aksys Games
  • SCE

Localization, ahoy! :3

#17 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8846 posts) -

5) Sega: Their support for Platinum games deserves mention. that development house has produced some of the strongest gameplay of the past generation.

4) WB games: This is entirely because of Rocksteady at the moment. Arkham City was the single best game produced out of last gen.

3) Capcom: Their support for the fighting game community is fantastic and it's a community that I'm a proud part of.

2) Ubisoft: of the big 3rd party publishers, I feel ubisoft provides the most enjoyable experiences. I'd give it to them almost solely on the work of Michel Ancel.

1) Nintendo: by far and away the strongest first party in the industry. They consistently produce genre leading games almost every single year with a strong focus on the most important and unique aspects of this medium: gameplay and level design. They also remain more creative and produce higher/more satisfying challenge than most.

#18 Edited by elkoldo (1037 posts) -
  1. Sony - Not that I'm a PlayStation fanboy , it's just that the way they respect their audience is admirable.Just look at Last of Us ; easily the best game on PS3 ,released when the console's era had almost come to a close, or Beyond , released when there was just a few weeks left to PS4's launch , Or GT 6 , officially released after PS4's launch.They all could've been PS4's launch titles, particularly given their technical (visual ,namely) magnificence.I can go all the way back to 2007 , when God of War 2 was released for PS2 months after PS3's launch in 2006.That game could've easily helped PS3 sell more units, in its time of crisis in 2007,had it been released on PS3.Not only that , they've proven to care for and support their costumers much more than any other first or third party does.
  2. Take Two - GTA , Bioshock , Max Payne, Read Dead redemption , Mafia ,etc.
  3. Bethesda - Oblivion alone will do !
  4. Ubisoft - Prince of Persia
  5. Microsoft - They released Alan Wake !

(EDIT : Bethesda isn't a subset of Take Two , is it ? )

#19 Edited by mjorh (738 posts) -

@ mjorh

Nothing. I'm disloyal by nature. Theres no point to being loyal, you'l miss out out on all the good stuff.

It's not about loyalty , seriously i don't think anybody is loyal to a specific "Publisher" , u can be loyal to studio u know after all they're the ones working on the game itself not the publishers....

@elkoldo said:
  1. Sony - Not that I'm a PlayStation fanboy , it's just that the way they respect their audience is admirable.Just look at Last of Us ; easily the best game on PS3 ,released when the console's era had almost come to a close, or Beyond , released when there was just a few weeks left to PS4's launch , Or GT 6 , officially released after PS4's launch.They all could've been PS4's launch titles, particularly given their technical (visual ,namely) magnificence.I can go all the way back to 2007 , when God of War 2 was released for PS2 months after PS3's launch in 2006.That game could've easily helped PS3 sell more units, in its time of crisis in 2007,had it been released on PS3.Not only that , they've proven to care for and support their costumers much more than any other first or third party does.
  2. Take Two - GTA , Bioshock , Max Payne, Read Dead redemption , Mafia ,etc.
  3. Bethesda - Oblivion alone will do !
  4. Ubisoft - Prince of Persia
  5. Microsoft - They released Alan Wake !

C'mon Erfan Microsoft? Seriously?!!

Alan Wake is a great game no doubt , but Microsoft is like a sneaky bastard to me :D and even Alan Wake doesn't make it any better ...

• Atlus
  • Naughty Dog
  • Square Enix
  • Oddworld
  • Levek 5

Naughty Dog is a studio , not a publisher ,right?

#20 Posted by elkoldo (1037 posts) -

@mjorh: Errr...I thought maybe they deserved to be the last on the list , you know Alan Wake was amazing ! The best damn game on 360.

#21 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5959 posts) -

Not sure about favourite publishers... Maybe should've made it favourite developers? But I'll give publishers a go. Something like this:

1. Sony Computer Entertainment

2. Valve

3. Take-Two

4. EA

5. Square Enix

#22 Posted by Fezzinator101 (228 posts) -

In no particular order:

• Sony
  • Sega
  • RockStar Games
  • Valve
  • Id Software
#23 Posted by jasonredemption (232 posts) -

5. Take Two

4. EA

3. Warner Brothers

2. Ubisoft

1. Sony

#24 Posted by Heirren (16826 posts) -

It isn't always about loyalty. The relationship between publisher and developer often reflects the quality in the game you end up getting. For this reason I'd point out Sony and Nintendo--these two understand the reason for delaying a game, or perhaps better put, they better respect the words from developers.

#25 Posted by mjorh (738 posts) -

Not sure about favourite publishers... Maybe should've made it favourite developers? But I'll give publishers a go. Something like this:

1. Sony Computer Entertainment

2. Valve

3. Take-Two

4. EA

5. Square Enix

I'll make one for devs with votes but i don't know whether make it multiple choice or single ...We didn't have this topic before so i thought it would be better to have this one first u know.

@Heirren said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

It isn't always about loyalty. The relationship between publisher and developer often reflects the quality in the game you end up getting. For this reason I'd point out Sony and Nintendo--these two understand the reason for delaying a game, or perhaps better put, they better respect the words from developers.

Yeah this is my point , the relationship matters most when it comes to publishers u know and it'd be better that u decide the best publisher from that perspective rather than the games they've released.

#26 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11424 posts) -

I have been Learned !

#27 Edited by BlackGenjii (231 posts) -

@bowchicka07 said:

Bungie- Halo is my favorite MP for a long time running.

Bethesda- Oblivion, Skyrim, Dishonored

Square Enix- Final Fantasy!

These three plus Nintendo and Valve (I'll also sneak in Kojima and Sony) make up my top seven favorite publisher/developer studios.

Bungie by far is my favorite game studio period! Their innovations, how they started as a two man only team working out of their crappy one-man apartment, and how they made "Pathways Into Darkness" out of that crappy one-man apartment, as well as how (as a four man team) made the seminal "Marathon", and how they then humbly grew into the juggernaut studio they are today is nothing short of truly inspiring.

Awesome list bowchicka07, Halo too is my favorite MP for a long time running.

#28 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16710 posts) -

Atlus is definitely up there. Reason being is that they cater to their fans first and foremost; they aren't afraid to publish or localize a risky game because they trust their fanbase and, conversely, their fanbase trusts them. They really are a terrific company to be a fan of. I have yet to be let down by them.

Plus, they're great developers, too.

#29 Posted by Archangel3371 (15473 posts) -

In no particular order:

• Electronic Arts
  • Microsoft Game Studios
  • Capcom
  • Nintendo
  • Square-Enix
#30 Posted by vickyjohn1 (36 posts) -

what about Rockstar games, Blizzard, Riot, Funizen solutions pvt ltd.

#31 Posted by mjorh (738 posts) -

Rockstar is the studio of Take Two

Blizzard is famous for its WOW and i don't think only that game could qualify Blizzard to be in the lists.

#32 Edited by alim298 (1312 posts) -

@mjorh: No Blizzard also has starcraft and diablo.

#33 Posted by mjorh (738 posts) -

@alim298 said:

@mjorh: No Blizzard also has starcraft and diablo.

Yeah right , thanks .

#34 Edited by bowchicka07 (1073 posts) -

God, don't even think about throwing Riot in this mix. League servers completely blow.

#35 Edited by DarthGumballs (194 posts) -

EA
Activision
Microsoft

That's pretty much all I play.

#36 Posted by Behardy24 (3746 posts) -

In no particular order:

• Sony
  • Sega
  • RockStar Games
  • Valve
  • Id Software

Id Software isn't a publisher anymore. They are under the branches of Bethesda Software.

#37 Posted by Behardy24 (3746 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

Hmm, don't really have any favorites but a top 5 of publishers/devs i usually look at for good games

1: Naughty Dog

2: Sony

3:Take-Two/Rockstar

4:Blizzard/Activision

5: Indie scene.

Naughty Dog is a developer, not a publisher. The publisher they work with the almost exclusive is Sony Computer Entertainment.

Just wanted to let you know. :)

#39 Posted by Basinboy (11084 posts) -

Historically:

SCE
Squaresoft
Take Two
Valve
Blizzard

Honorable mentions: Atlus, Nintendo

Only reason I put SCE in over Nintendo is SCE's drive to deliver new IP (Nintendo's reliance on recycling IP is a stain on their legacy for me).

#40 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71176 posts) -

Bioware, even though they are under EA, they still publish games themselves.

Sony. They have great games for all types of gamers

Nintendo, because of all the great games they have made.

Squaresoft aka old Square Enix

Take Two aka 2k/Rockstar games

#41 Posted by mjorh (738 posts) -

Bioware, even though they are under EA, they still publish games themselves.

Sony. They have great games for all types of gamers

Nintendo, because of all the great games they have made.

Squaresoft aka old Square Enix

Take Two aka 2k/Rockstar games

2K and Rockstar are the same?