Your Top 10 SNES RPGs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts
Just curious, I haven't played many, just Chrono Trigger. That game was awesome. What are your top 10?
ThomasToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ThomasToad
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I'll just list four that I absolutely love since I haven't played enough to make a top 10 list.

1. Final Fantasy 3/6 - my favorite game of all time, it's the game that artistically fits me perfectly

2. Earthbound - so quirky and unique, very fun

3. Chrono Trigger - everything is great about this game, story, music, combat, characters

4. Super Mario RPG - Similar to earthbound it's just fun to play, not an overly serious RPG

zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 165

#3 zh666
Member since 2005 • 5068 Posts
1. Chrono Trigger
1. Zelda: Link to the Past
3. Final Fantasy II
4. Final Fantasy III
5. Breath of Fire
6. Earthbound
7. Mario RPG
8. Paladins Quest
9. 7th Saga
10. Secret of Mana
darksword1123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 darksword1123
Member since 2004 • 30121 Posts
Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, Secret Of Evermore, Secret Of Mana.....then I draw a blank.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

1. Chrono Trigger

2. Lufia II

3. Final Fantasy VI

4. Final Fantasy IV

5. Super Mario RPG

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#6 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts

Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, Secret Of Evermore, Secret Of Mana.....then I draw a blank. darksword1123

(You know how I hate Earthbound, so let's skip that.) Didn't really like Secret of Evermore. The main character was absolutely unlikeable.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 avataraang1
Member since 2006 • 5436 Posts

1:Chrono Trigger

2:Chrono Trigger

3:Chrono Trigger

4:Chrono Trigger

5:Chrono Trigger

6:Chrono Trigger

7:Chrono Trigger

8:Chrono Trigger

9:Chrono Trigger

10:Final Fantasy 4

EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts

Nice, anyone know where you can get cheap SNES games, ebay isn't that cheap (I am looking for single digits)

(btw, nice avatar, avataraang1)

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Video_Game_King

I assume #11 is Final Fantasy 6 :P?

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Nice, anyone know where you can get cheap SNES games, ebay isn't that cheap (I am looking for single digits)

EuroMafia

I don't believe there is a such place. Maybe if start hitting garage sales/flea markets etc.

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts

I don't believe I've played ten rpgs on the SNES (I know shocking :P), but my list goes something like this:

1. Final Fantasy 3 (aka FF6)

2. Super Mario RPG

3. Earthbound

4. Secret of Evermore

Yep, that's about it, heh.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Video_Game_King

I don't believe I've played ten rpgs on the SNES (I know shocking :P), but my list goes something like this:

2. Super Mario RPG

3. Earthbound

4. Secret of Evermore

Yagr_Zero

Especially considering the fact that the SNES has a 1000% chance of making any Top 10 list of Consoles with Great RPG's :P.

zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 zh666
there was only 40 RPGs released in America, out of those 40, atleast 1/4 of them are really crappy ports of PC tites (Might and Magic, Ultima, Wizardry, Drakkhen, Eye of the Beholder, etc)... so there's only 30 or so original RPG on the SNES, out of those 30 most of them are good or great, but 30 is slim pickings if you think about it...
iusm78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 iusm78
Member since 2008 • 1474 Posts

Yeah, a top ten would be rough. I'd have to include games that I played but didn't really enjoy!

I think everyone's lists here cover everything worth talking about though.

FFIV and VI, obviously, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana. Then the list kind of falls of for me. Some of the other RPGs are just playable but certainly far from classics.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Video_Game_King

there was only 40 RPGs released in America, out of those 40, atleast 1/4 of them are really crappy ports of PC tites (Might and Magic, Ultima, Wizardry, Drakkhen, Eye of the Beholder, etc)... so there's only 30 or so original RPG on the SNES, out of those 30 most of them are good or great, but 30 is slim pickings if you think about it... zh666

Then why not expand into Japan? Most people are gonna include FF5 anyway, and quite a few are gonna put Seiken Densetsu 3 on their lists...

Diamhea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 Diamhea
Member since 2008 • 103 Posts
Chrono Trigger tops the list for me, thats all I know. Mystic Quest also finds its home somewhere in the middle of my list.
abephroman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 abephroman
Member since 2007 • 250 Posts

Final Fantasy 3 (6)

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy 2 (4)

Lufia 2

Lagoon (hard to find. great game...)

That's my top 5. There are many other good ones, Breath of Fire 2...

zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 zh666

[QUOTE="zh666"]there was only 40 RPGs released in America, out of those 40, atleast 1/4 of them are really crappy ports of PC tites (Might and Magic, Ultima, Wizardry, Drakkhen, Eye of the Beholder, etc)... so there's only 30 or so original RPG on the SNES, out of those 30 most of them are good or great, but 30 is slim pickings if you think about it... Video_Game_King

Then why not expand into Japan? Most people are gonna include FF5 anyway, and quite a few are gonna put Seiken Densetsu 3 on their lists...

I didn't import back then, and I can't read Japanese, the people that do list games like Seiken Densetsu 3 or Bahaut Lagoon r Dragon Quest V are rom downloaders or liars..... I played FF5 later on the PS1, but I can't really say it was one of the best SNES RPGs though can I? I wouldn't put it in my top 10 anyways...

I rather talk about games I grew up with rather than games I learned about later over the internet... .. I just like to put things in persepctive, when the SNES was done with, there was only 40 RPGs to look back on, which is fine and dandy, but only half of them were good/great... it just shows you how unpopular RPGs were back then... the PS1 got around 100+ rpgs after the Final Fantasy 7 explosion and the PS2 probably doubled even that... its pretty amazing if you think about it...

sinistra45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 sinistra45
Member since 2008 • 7379 Posts

Cannot rank them, because they were all so great. Super Mario RPG was spectacular. Link's Awakening got me addicted to RPG games. Final Fantasy 3 was one of the best games ever. Secret of Mana's story line drew me in like none before. Soul Blazer was fantastic. Lagoon was an early RPG for the system that is often forgotten. Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals had some components that really drew me in. I hear 7th Saga, Paladin's Quest, and Chrono Trigger were great also,; however, I never played any of them (deprived, I know).

Justin

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#20 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts
The 7th Saga
Act Raiser
Arcana
Breath of Fire 1-2
Chrono Trigger
Drakkhen
Earthbound
Final Fantasy 2-3
Legend of Zelda
Lufia 1-2
Ogre Battle
Paladin's Quest
Robotrek
Secret of Mana
Shadowrun
Super Mario RPG
Uncharted Waters: New Horizon (one of the best games ever)
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
[QUOTE="Yagr_Zero"]

2. Super Mario RPG

3. Earthbound

4. Secret of Evermore

Video_Game_King

Especially considering the fact that the SNES has a 1000% chance of making any Top 10 list of Consoles with Great RPG's :P.

Are you making fun of me? :P
zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 zh666

Drakkhen
_AbBaNdOn

really... i mean, really?

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 _AbBaNdOn
I dont know but I really liked it lol. I never beat the game. I probably never even came close. I just had an awesome time running around and getting into fights. You can say that the graphics were freaking nasty but at the same time they were unlike any other rpg game out there which made it unique. I am definately not a graphic ho so I didnt mind them. How many other rpg's at the time let you run around a 3d world FPS style?? I remember that I would eventually always reach this one area of the world and get owned lol. They game probably has like 0% direction and I didnt play with a guide so I was probably always wandering into area's that were way to strong for me. Yeah I cant explain why I think it is a fun game, it just was to me.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Video_Game_King
[QUOTE="Video_Game_King"]

[QUOTE="zh666"]there was only 40 RPGs released in America, out of those 40, atleast 1/4 of them are really crappy ports of PC tites (Might and Magic, Ultima, Wizardry, Drakkhen, Eye of the Beholder, etc)... so there's only 30 or so original RPG on the SNES, out of those 30 most of them are good or great, but 30 is slim pickings if you think about it... zh666

I didn't import back then, and I can't read Japanese, the people that do list games like Seiken Densetsu 3 or Bahaut Lagoon r Dragon Quest V are rom downloaders or liars..... I played FF5 later on the PS1, but I can't really say it was one of the best SNES RPGs though can I? I wouldn't put it in my top 10 anyways...

I rather talk about games I grew up with rather than games I learned about later over the internet... .. I just like to put things in persepctive, when the SNES was done with, there was only 40 RPGs to look back on, which is fine and dandy, but only half of them were good/great... it just shows you how unpopular RPGs were back then... the PS1 got around 100+ rpgs after the Final Fantasy 7 explosion and the PS2 probably doubled even that... its pretty amazing if you think about it...

Really? 100 RPG's? I guess it balances it out, considering there were 2-3 for the N64. There was Paper Mario, Quest 64, and.....and....can anybody name others?

zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 zh666
[QUOTE="zh666"][QUOTE="Video_Game_King"]

[QUOTE="zh666"]there was only 40 RPGs released in America, out of those 40, atleast 1/4 of them are really crappy ports of PC tites (Might and Magic, Ultima, Wizardry, Drakkhen, Eye of the Beholder, etc)... so there's only 30 or so original RPG on the SNES, out of those 30 most of them are good or great, but 30 is slim pickings if you think about it... Video_Game_King

Really? 100 RPG's? I guess it balances it out, considering there were 2-3 for the N64. There was Paper Mario, Quest 64, and.....and....can anybody name others?

both Zeldas, Ogre Battle 64, Aidyn Chronicals, Megaman 64..

Saturn had about 12 rpgs...

zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 zh666

I dont know but I really liked it lol. I never beat the game. I probably never even came close. I just had an awesome time running around and getting into fights. You can say that the graphics were freaking nasty but at the same time they were unlike any other rpg game out there which made it unique. I am definately not a graphic ho so I didnt mind them. How many other rpg's at the time let you run around a 3d world FPS style?? I remember that I would eventually always reach this one area of the world and get owned lol. They game probably has like 0% direction and I didnt play with a guide so I was probably always wandering into area's that were way to strong for me. Yeah I cant explain why I think it is a fun game, it just was to me. _AbBaNdOn

the lack of direction, high difficulty, complex battle system, naustating graphics... that game was a mess, plus I bought it used so I never had a booklet for it.. i usally just ran around until my team was slaughter by a random monster.. i got no amount of enjoyment out of that game...

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 _AbBaNdOn

Damn it. Just remembered my SNES doesnt work. I was gonna offer to buy it from ya =P.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Video_Game_King
[QUOTE="Video_Game_King"][QUOTE="zh666"][QUOTE="Video_Game_King"]

[QUOTE="zh666"]there was only 40 RPGs released in America, out of those 40, atleast 1/4 of them are really crappy ports of PC tites (Might and Magic, Ultima, Wizardry, Drakkhen, Eye of the Beholder, etc)... so there's only 30 or so original RPG on the SNES, out of those 30 most of them are good or great, but 30 is slim pickings if you think about it... zh666

Not sure Zeldas or Mega Men count (action adventure=/=RPG's), so I'll take your word on Aidyn. That makes 4. I can count the entire N64 library of RPG's on one hand. And let's see...

Grandia
Dragon Force
Shining Force III
Magic Knight Rayearth
Shining the Holy Wisdom or whatever
Burning Rangers (or am I thinking of something else)

zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 zh666

Damn it. Just remembered my SNES doesnt work. I was gonna offer to buy it from ya =P.

_AbBaNdOn

I regretfully sold all of my games and systems (32bit and below) back in 2002...

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 _AbBaNdOn
...........there is a special place in hell for people like you...........
zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 zh666
[QUOTE="zh666"][QUOTE="Video_Game_King"][QUOTE="zh666"][QUOTE="Video_Game_King"]

Not sure Zeldas or Mega Men count (action adventure=/=RPG's), so I'll take your word on Aidyn. That makes 4. I can count the entire N64 library of RPG's on one hand. And let's see...

Grandia
Dragon Force
Shining Force III
Magic Knight Rayearth
Shining the Holy Wisdom or whatever
Burning Rangers (or am I thinking of something else)

Zelda and Megaman Legends were RPGs before "Action Adventure" became a trendy catch phrase... theres also Harvest Moon 64 and possible the Castlevania games

as for the Saturn... Grandia was never released in America for the Saturn (ported to the PS1 though)... Shining the Holy Arc and Shining Wisdom is what you're thinking of... and isn't Burning Rangers a firefighter game or something?

then theres: Albert Odyssey,Panzer Dragoon Saga, Legend of Oasis, Blazing Heroes, Dark Savoir, and Virtual Hydlide

and questionable ones like Iron Storm, Romance the Three Kingdoms IV, Guardian Heroes, and Hercs Adventures...
zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 zh666

...........there is a special place in hell for people like you..........._AbBaNdOn

i sold Chrono Trigger for $15...

nintendofreak6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nintendofreak6
Member since 2008 • 95 Posts

1.final fantasy 2

2.Chrono Trigger

3.Earthbound

etc

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Video_Game_King

Zelda and Megaman Legends were RPGs before "Action Adventure" became a trendy catch phrase... theres also Harvest Moon 64 and possible the Castlevania games

as for the Saturn... Grandia was never released in America for the Saturn (ported to the PS1 though)... Shining the Holy Arc and Shining Wisdom is what you're thinking of... and isn't Burning Rangers a firefighter game or something?

then theres: Albert Odyssey,Panzer Dragoon Saga, Legend of Oasis, Blazing Heroes, Dark Savoir, and Virtual Hydlide

and questionable ones like Iron Storm, Romance the Three Kingdoms IV, Guardian Heroes, and Hercs Adventures...zh666

Still not counting Zelda and Mega Man :P. And what Castlevania games were there that were RPG's? They were just 3D platformers with atrocious level design and a bad draw distance.

Yea, I was thinking of those two Shining games. And Grandia counts, GameSpot reviewed it. Blazing Heroes is what I was thinking of...*notices PDS* How could I forget that :x? And Guardian Heroes is more like a beat-em-up with RPG elements. Hell, it made the Top 10 Beat em Up List.

zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 zh666

And Grandia counts, GameSpot reviewed it.

Video_Game_King

they reviewed an Import.. that review is terrible too.. everything is compared to FF7

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Video_Game_King

zh666

they reviewed an Import.. that review is terrible too.. everything is compared to FF7

Wait, do you mean every game is bad compared to FF7, or every review is compared to its review?

DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts

Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy II-III, Lufia 1-2, Earthbound, Breath of Fire 1-2, and Super Mario RPG

Lufia 2 was my favorite ones.

zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 zh666

Video_Game_King

Wait, do you mean every game is bad compared to FF7, or every review is compared to its review?

they're not that similar at all, but then again, every action rpg was compared to zelda and every turn based game is compared to final fantasy back then..

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Video_Game_King

zh666

they're not that similar at all, but then again, every action rpg was compared to zelda and every turn based game is compared to final fantasy back then..

I assume SRPG's were compared to Shining Force (given the fact that Fire Emblem didn't come out in America until 2003 and nobody gave two craps about Warsong :P) and WRPG's were compared to, I don't know, uh, Ultima.

zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 zh666

I assume SRPG's were compared to Shining Force (given the fact that Fire Emblem didn't come out in America until 2003 and nobody gave two craps about Warsong :P) and WRPG's were compared to, I don't know, uh, Ultima.

Video_Game_King

I didn't play either back then (exclusively), so I wouldn't know... my first SRPG was Blazing Heroes, and as far as I remember, they weren't "popular" until Final Fantasy Tactics came out and made a big splash... most WRPGs back then where on the PC and I didn't really play PC RPGs... I don't remember people arguing over WRPGS vs JRPGs much back then until Xbox brought in all the PC players to the console, thats when WRPGs really made a splash towards console players...... PC stuff is foregin to me, most video game mags didn't cover them and I didn't know anyone that played them...
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Video_Game_King

zh666

I didn't play either back then (exclusively), so I wouldn't know... my first SRPG was Blazing Heroes, and as far as I remember, they weren't "popular" until Final Fantasy Tactics came out and made a big splash... most WRPGs back then where on the PC and I didn't really play PC RPGs... I don't remember people arguing over WRPGS vs JRPGs much back then until Xbox brought in all the PC players to the console, thats when WRPGs really made a splash towards console players...... PC stuff is foregin to me, most video game mags didn't cover them and I didn't know anyone that played them...

I'm not a PC gamer, either, and why wasn't Shining Force popular? It seems that whenever people list off ****cs of the Genesis, they always put in the 2 Shining Forces, and fairly high up there. Lemme guess: buried ****c syndrome, like Ogre Battle?

zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 zh666

Video_Game_King

I'm not a PC gamer, either, and why wasn't Shining Force popular? It seems that whenever people list off ****cs of the Genesis, they always put in the 2 Shining Forces, and fairly high up there. Lemme guess: buried ****c syndrome, like Ogre Battle?

Shining Force and Ogre Battle are popular after the fact, like Earthbound for example, you hear alot of people talk about Earthbound right? well it was a complete and utter commercial failure.. and Ogre Battle is probably the rarest game on the SNES, no one played that game until it was re-released on the PS1 or they downloaded it on their PC... Shining Force is easily the most popular SRPG until Final Fantasy Tactics, but it was still only known by the small group of RPG players

minizoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 minizoi
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

1-Final Fantasy VI

2-Final Fantasy V

3-Secret Of Mana 2
4-Chrono Trigger
5-Lufia 2

I didn´t played other five than these >.

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 _AbBaNdOn
lol Ogre Battle was extremely popular, thats the only reason it got rereleased on the ps1.
zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 zh666

lol Ogre Battle was extremely popular, thats the only reason it got rereleased on the ps1. _AbBaNdOn

it was a total bomb in America, maybe 25,000 copies of that game can be found today..

it was re-released on the PS1 because RPGs became popular after Final Fantasy 7, even within the RPG genre, Ogre Battles were niche games...

found this: link

"Enix, the publishers of the game, only made 25,000 copies of the game for sale in the US. The game is very hard to find because of this limited release."

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 _AbBaNdOn
Your an idiot if you listen to those retards. ESPECIALLY when they are trying to sell you stuff. Oh yeah this game here...there were only 10 copies printed. Its worth 1000000000000 now pay me?? lol. My town must have been SUPER EXTREMELY LUCKY cuz like my video rental store had a couple and my friend had one lol and the other video store I went to had one.
SauceCaptain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SauceCaptain
Member since 2004 • 1273 Posts

zh666

Shining Force and Ogre Battle are popular after the fact, like Earthbound for example, you hear alot of people talk about Earthbound right? well it was a complete and utter commercial failure.. and Ogre Battle is probably the rarest game on the SNES, no one played that game until it was re-released on the PS1 or they downloaded it on their PC... Shining Force is easily the most popular SRPG until Final Fantasy Tactics, but it was still only known by the small group of RPG players

My best friend growing up got a copy of Ogre Battle when it came out and I remember going over to his house for a month untill we beat it. Later on I found a used copy and was lucky enough to get one with all the maps and box. You are right though because I remember being really excited about the game and my friend and I were the only people that played it in my whole school.

SexyMatters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SexyMatters
Member since 2008 • 30 Posts

lol So do you like Chrono Trigger? :P

zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 zh666

Your an idiot if you listen to those retards. ESPECIALLY when they are trying to sell you stuff. Oh yeah this game here...there were only 10 copies printed. Its worth 1000000000000 now pay me?? lol. My town must have been SUPER EXTREMELY LUCKY cuz like my video rental store had a couple and my friend had one lol and the other video store I went to had one. _AbBaNdOn

so because you've seen a few copies in a store = extremely popular?