Your Gameplay History

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Game47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Game47
Member since 2003 • 86 Posts

Is your gameplay history important? I haven't posted here in a while but something struck me after I finished Halo 4 and I wanted to get everyone else's opinion.

When I finished Halo 4, I had a "if a tree falls and nobody hears it" moment when I realized this was it. I was done with the game and it would be nothing more than a memory. Is your gameplay history important? Is there any value to you knowing games you've played, rated, completed, etc.? Or is it just me?

tiny_rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 tiny_rick
Member since 2015 • 284 Posts

What if there was a reality where Hitler cured cancer? The answer is dont think too hard about it

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

well, there are certainly games I've played that I feel if I hadn't, it wouldn't really bother me. Some I don't even remember playing but have come across when looking through some games I had stashed away in a box. But then there are other games that I'm glad to have played because they affected me on some level or because of the people I met while playing them...those certainly hold value but nothing quantifiable.

I certainly don't consider it important to have played games just because someone else thinks those games are memorable or important. I'm the same way with books or movies (e.g., Shakespeare is high school drama couched in beautiful poetry, no thanks).

Game47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Game47

@Ish_basic: Makes sense. I didn't mean to use the "if a tree falls" to mean that it's about others, I meant it as it didn't happen for me. You touched on what I was getting at with "but then there are games that I'm glad to have played". For these games, the experiences are just a memory.

Game47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Game47

@tiny_rick: you're right but it's tooooo late!

hyksiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 hyksiu
Member since 2010 • 2201 Posts

I don't think hard about it. I get hard about it...

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

I would say that it's as important as any other form of entertainment ie. movies, music, books, etc.

Game47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Game47

@Archangel3371: fair enough. I have seen websites/apps track the books you're reading, books you've read, etc. Perhaps there's always a group who want to keep track for each form of entertainment.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#9 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

that's kinda the point of a game, you play it and then you move on

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I'm not sure what you're asking, but I often reminiscence on games I've played in the past. So I feel those experiences hold value to me. I keep track of pretty much all games I play through a spreadsheet of ratings. And then of course there's all the trophies I've earned from PlayStation system games. So... I dunno, I think it's cool seeing all these things accumulate and later looking back on them and remembering the good times I had with most of these games.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

memories are just memories dude. Time never stops and you will never be younger than you're at this very moment. lol

Game47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Game47

@SoNin360: how you track via spreadsheet is exactly where I was going with this. That's one way of tracking gameplay, I know I've rated games on some websites but it I don't recall where.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#13 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

@Game47: Yeah, I used to keep all my ratings on here and was really into reviewing games, but they changed the rating scale so I moved all my ratings and mostly lost interest in reviewing.

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 phoenix5352
Member since 2011 • 387 Posts

i was the same , i thought data was important , till i lost all my ps3 game data, every file was corrupted . so i don't give a damn about data anymore .

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

I like what these people say about the topic: @SoNin360, @Archangel3371, @Ish_basic. Video games are a part of our culture like books, music, movies, and other hobbies. When you play the game, participate in the experience and journal it; you become a part of the history of the game, and it becomes a part of your history. It is rewarding to look back and reflect on what you did or accomplished, or what kind of impression the game made on you. IMO good games need to be conserved, remade/re-mastered, updated, and remembered for the benefit of future generations and to inspire new games.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#17 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@tiny_rick: Aberdolf Lincler... It's not what he stood for! We, uh, don't actually know what he stood for, but it definitely wasn't that.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

My gameplay history is no more important than anyone else who has ever played videogames. I started in 1979-2016 and continuing on until it is time to die.

I have not kept track of my Play history. Since it is not important. I love playing videogames, but keeping track of my history of videogame play is not important, Unless you are trying for a world record, keeping track of your play history is not needed.

There is not reason to document your game play history, Unless you have to prove a perfect game of Pac-man or Finishing Battletoads with 1 life and no deaths. Or getting the very toughest Xbox live achievements, recording the fastest Super Mario Brother speed run. Or world record high score in a videogame.

Other than that, no need to document videogame play history.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Collie_Lover

Journaling is not something everyone needs to do. It is simply another way that people get immersed in their interests (video games). You might want to tell your story to your children someday. You do not need to have an exact, highly detailed and complete list. If you can recall some of the games that you enjoyed most that will be enough. Some people will just be able to do it in more detail. If you don't want to track anything you played, don't. Journaling is done for personal interest.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#20 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I never need to document my gaming history. It's all in my memory and experience. I share my experience with others sometimes (it's what my youtube channel is for), but that's just for fun. There's no compulsion to do it for the sake of record, so to speak.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Well considering gaming is my main hobby and passion, of course I have very fond memories of games I've played over the years (obviously some more than others)... but I don't keep a record or anything. It's all memories.

And of course I love to talk about past games with others.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Just like with books, movies and real life experiences: the good and bad stuff sticks with you while the rest are all just forgotten memories.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

I played a lot of game since 1989, I remember many of them but it is pretty much it. I have good memories too.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Collie_Lover

On these forums you will sometimes read that people buy a game, beat it, and trade it in early for a new game. Then after playing other games and reflecting on their experiences, they regret trading in that one special game. Trading a game in may be the only way for some to keep playing new games. Journaling might help with knowing which games to hold on to, and which games you might want to play again in a couple of years.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Whats the difference between gameplay history and gaming history ?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#27 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Whats the difference between gameplay history and gaming history ?

No difference.

But you can be a Nancy Nitpick and keep nitpicking :)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@Jacanuk:

I would love to but nobody mentioned Dark Souls..... theres no place for me here :(