Your favourite adventure game this gen?

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Jag85 (4907 posts) -

KS is more of a bishoujo type renpy  game - those are not generally listed with the rest of the adventure games because that type of 'adventure' is a rather specialized niche

it is something that it was finally completed after some 6 years though.

iowastate
Visual novels are considered a sub-genre of adventure games. They have the same text adventure roots as point & click adventures. Besides, a lot of point & click adventures these days, from Zero Escape to The Walking Dead, are more or less hybrids between the visual novel and point & click adventure sub-genres. But sure, I can see where you're coming from about KS, since its plot isn't exactly what we'd associate with word 'adventure'.
#52 Posted by Selina786 (15 posts) -

This Gen ... well I like Mass Effect and God of War Series...:roll:

#53 Posted by Jag85 (4907 posts) -

This Gen ... well I like Mass Effect and God of War Series...:roll:

Selina786

Selina, those are RPG's, not adventure games.

Adventure games mean stuff like point & click graphic adventures, text adventures, visual novels, etc.

#54 Posted by iowastate (7873 posts) -
[QUOTE="iowastate"]

KS is more of a bishoujo type renpy  game - those are not generally listed with the rest of the adventure games because that type of 'adventure' is a rather specialized niche

Jag85
Visual novels are considered a sub-genre of adventure games. They have the same text adventure roots as point & click adventures. Besides, a lot of point & click adventures these days, from Zero Escape to The Walking Dead, are more or less hybrids between the visual novel and point & click adventure sub-genres. But sure, I can see where you're coming from about KS, since its plot isn't exactly what we'd associate with word 'adventure'.

as a 'disability person' myself I appreciate KS. bishoujo games are a specialty and a different type of adventure, eh?
#55 Posted by Jag85 (4907 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="iowastate"]

iowastate

as a 'disability person' myself I appreciate KS. bishoujo games are a specialty and a different type of adventure, eh?

Bishoujo games are simply a niche within the wider Visual Novel genre, along with other niches like Nakige ("Crying Game"), Otome Game & BL Game (both primarily targeted at female gamers), Horror, Sci-Fi, Mystery, etc.

And in turn, Visual Novels are a sub-genre of the wider Adventure game genre, along with text adventures and point & click adventures.

So yeah, Bishoujo games are like a niche within a sub-genre of Adventure games. KS's adventure game roots may seem very distant, but those text adventure roots are still there.

#56 Posted by skymond (1 posts) -
i like Tales of Monkey Island best and more adventure games nhan cuoi
#57 Posted by SylvaeDragon (4 posts) -

The last one I really enjoyed and liked was The Book of Unwritten Tales.

But my personal bests are The Longest Journey, Grim Fandango, Myst, Gemini Rue, Syberia and Dark Fall: The Journal.

#58 Posted by Ryu_Katamari (28 posts) -
Catherine. Not quite an adventure game, its equally a puzzle game, but hands-down my favorite game this generation. Its one of the most interesting an unique games I've come across, and really one that taught me a lot about myself. I loved Sonic Generations too. Totally not an adventure game tho its a platformer. Perfect for anyone who was a Genesis kid back in the 90s like me, it just takes u back to that classic 16-bit 2D Sonic gameplay thats untouchable. I never took to the 3D Sonic gameplay as much, its good but Sonic belongs in that timeless 2D sidescrolling-platformer format that's just balls-to-the-wall awesome. Generations is the perfect mix of the two, each level is excellent and the mechanics are pretty flawless.
#59 Posted by Ryu_Katamari (28 posts) -
I never got big into straight-up RPG's like Final Fantasy, I just never dug turn-based battles. Phantasy Star Online for Dreamcast managed to suck me in though. There's still a lot of titles from this generation I intend to play, Star Ocean, Lost Eden, MGS4 (the only one I never beat), Heavy Rain...
#60 Posted by iowastate (7873 posts) -
I never got big into straight-up RPG's like Final Fantasy, I just never dug turn-based battles. Phantasy Star Online for Dreamcast managed to suck me in though. There's still a lot of titles from this generation I intend to play, Star Ocean, Lost Eden, MGS4 (the only one I never beat), Heavy Rain... Ryu_Katamari
are there any adventure games in you favourites list? Lost World, Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper...like that?
#61 Posted by strawhatlupi (869 posts) -
Syberia Series The Longest Journey Broken Sword
#62 Posted by aedman (131 posts) -

While I have not play the whole game, I did enjoy the demo for Deponia. It has its own warped humor and an-anti-hero. Has anyone else tried the game?

#63 Posted by ColdSwedishViki (22 posts) -
I would say Corpse party, The walking dead and the first Assassin's creed.
#64 Posted by insanegame377 (332 posts) -
AC2, Uncharted 2 and Arkham City.
#65 Posted by iowastate (7873 posts) -

I am seeing action games listed...at least the last couple entries.

are there any more adventure favourites that fall in the category of this board?

#66 Posted by DeadSquirrelpie (8 posts) -
I wanna raise a hand för Assassins Creed 1. Even if the later ones have to be counted as better games gameplay-wise, there is something extra in the feeling of the world in 1. To bad the character-animation takes you a bit out of it though.
#67 Posted by sukraj (23426 posts) -

Tomb Raider