Your favorite Sega console?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GSJones1994 (332 posts) -

Hi, just asking everyone what their favorite console from Sega was. My favorite would be the Dreamcast but I want to hear from everyone else too. Thanks!

#2 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

Saturn of course , just has the most games I like, lots of arcade games (or arcade like) , along with some good RPGs.

#3 Posted by SonOfChewbacca (653 posts) -

Dreamcast, although the Genesis was truly something special... I just wish I could find my darn console and start playing it again!

#4 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -
i really don't know, I love the Master System, I love the Genesis and I love the Saturn the Dreamcast was their weakest console imo gonna vote master system just to show the system so love :P
#5 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17470 posts) -

The G.O.A.T, of course. SEGA Genesis stands above the rest. 

#6 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

Without a doubt it's the Sega Genesis for me. An incredibly large library of fantastic games both well-known and a lot of hidden gems. And it has those nifty Sega CD and Sega 32X add-ons.

#7 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Sega Mega Drive.

Master System was cool but not as cool as NES (imo, before Rilpas freaks out... :P ), Saturn I didn't play but experienced it's games on other platforms, Dreamcast was great but too short-lived.

So yea, it's the SMD for me.

#8 Posted by chenzo22 (344 posts) -
the genesis fasho! the streets of rage and sonic series were the best! genesis does or did what nintendon't. lol!
#9 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

Sega Mega Drive.

Master System was cool but not as cool as NES (imo, before Rilpas freaks out... :P ), Saturn I didn't play but experienced it's games on other platforms, Dreamcast was great but too short-lived.

So yea, it's the SMD for me.

nameless12345

HOW DARE YOU! :P

Don't worry, I can definately understand why someone would prefer the NES, games like Power Blade, Ninja shadow, Kickmaster, Kabuki Quantum fighter, Castlevania 3, Contra 1&2, Batman and Powerblade were freaking amazing!

But I love the master system for it's adventure/action-adventure/RPG-like games :P

#10 Posted by Byshop (12577 posts) -

The Sega MasterGeniSaturCast (32X)

TBH that's a tough one. I'm a huge fan of everything from the Genesis and up. The Master System was also great, but I never had one back in the day so I don't get all nostalgic over Y's games and whatnot.

-Byshop

#11 Posted by Kage1 (6766 posts) -

Never really got into the Sega consoles. I do have a Dreamcast but my nephew gave it to me but sits in a box in the closet.

#12 Posted by Dudersaper (32950 posts) -
Can't decide between Saturn or Dreamcast.
#13 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -
Genesis, it's the pinnacle of anything Sega related.
#14 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

The Dreamcast by a fairly wide margin. The Genesis would have to be my second favorite.

#15 Posted by Change_MyShorts (75 posts) -

SMS I never heard about until way down the line. Funcoland, walmart, nobody had games for it around here. Nobody I knew had one...so that console is probably my least favorite although I have respect for it in later years.

Genesis was GREAT, my sister & I received one growing up and in my eyes the SNES couldn't touch it. A few friends of mine had a SNES and I thought they were ok but dull and boring. Games were mature, fast paced, and vivid on ol Genesis.

Saturn, I heard about it after my parents bought me a N64 and Playstation the year after. Saturn I never jumped into until my later years. Good console but I wouldn't trade it for the fun I had on N64 and PSX. Mario, Banjo, Pokemon, Resident Evil, Driver, Vigilante 8 take the cake.

Dreamcast...It was a rare, brief, magical moment in gaming history.

1st place - Sega Genesis/Mega Drive ......... VERY close 2nd - Dreamcast.

#16 Posted by Holyspirit-Xbox (271 posts) -
No likes for the Dreamcast? None at all my children? To me the answer is the Dreamcast. With the Japanese G.O.A.T. with 2nd impact giant attack, and on the same disc New generation, along with two Sonic Adventure games after one Sonic game Sonic R, on the Saturn, Virtua Fighter, Blue Stringer, tons of great shoot em'ups, The best version of Mvs.C2 next to the Xbox, and more, it was .. .. .. clearly the 2nd best sega system next to the Genesis ;) Slick one ain't I?
#17 Posted by Byshop (12577 posts) -

No likes for the Dreamcast? None at all my children? To me the answer is the Dreamcast. With the Japanese G.O.A.T. with 2nd impact giant attack, and on the same disc New generation, along with two Sonic Adventure games after one Sonic game Sonic R, on the Saturn, Virtua Fighter, Blue Stringer, tons of great shoot em'ups, The best version of Mvs.C2 next to the Xbox, and more, it was .. .. .. clearly the 2nd best sega system next to the Genesis ;) Slick one ain't I?Holyspirit-Xbox

There were several...

-Byshop

#18 Posted by Jag85 (5248 posts) -

If I was being nostalgic, I'd go with the Sega Master System. After all, it was my first console.

If I was being more objective though, then I'd go with the Sega Mega Drive, which had a lot more of my favourite video games.

#19 Posted by naju890_963 (8954 posts) -

Well, the only Sega console I owned was the MegaDrive. I began collecting for it this summer and even though I only have four games for it, I think it's amazing.

#20 Posted by gokuofheaven (3443 posts) -
I really love my Japanese Saturn but overall I would have to pick the Genesis/Mega-Drive. Dreamcast creeps in right behind that, I would say i've played it a lot more of it the past couple of years.
#21 Posted by benleslie5 (7962 posts) -

Sega MegaDrive was my favourite

#22 Posted by LJSEXAY (1866 posts) -
Dreamcast followed closely by the Genesis.
#23 Posted by sukraj (23818 posts) -

sega master system

#24 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

sega saturn, my favorite system for anything, followed by dreamcast

#25 Posted by kekejefferis (3444 posts) -

Tough one to choose between the Saturn and Dreamcast though I went for the Saturn.
Reason is because it was the first console to really get me into playing videogames, I had the Megadrive & Master system before that but didnt play them much beyond Sonic's and Road rash. The Saturn however I have amassed a large collection of games for but the standout ones for me were certainly Panzer Dragoon Saga and Burning Rangers which I still play to this day. I also loved the Duke 3D and Quake ports along with all the awesome Sega arcade ports.
Saying that tough you HAD to get your system chipped to make the most of it as most games never made their way outside of Japan, Radient Silvergun being a particulary amaing game worthy of the cash involved to play it.

Dreamcast was amazing though, much preferred it over my PS2 at the time.

#26 Posted by Megavideogamer (5535 posts) -

The Sega Genesis/Mega drive model 1.

#27 Posted by kittensRjerks (3802 posts) -

Dreamcast

#28 Posted by Exceed20XX (550 posts) -

Tough one to choose between the Saturn and Dreamcast though I went for the Saturn.
Reason is because it was the first console to really get me into playing videogames, I had the Megadrive & Master system before that but didnt play them much beyond Sonic's and Road rash. The Saturn however I have amassed a large collection of games for but the standout ones for me were certainly Panzer Dragoon Saga and Burning Rangers which I still play to this day. I also loved the Duke 3D and Quake ports along with all the awesome Sega arcade ports.
Saying that tough you HAD to get your system chipped to make the most of it as most games never made their way outside of Japan, Radient Silvergun being a particulary amaing game worthy of the cash involved to play it.

Dreamcast was amazing though, much preferred it over my PS2 at the time.

kekejefferis

Lobotomy fan?

#29 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -
Saturn > Genesis > Master System > Dreamcast > Game Gear > SEGA CD > 32X I own them all. SEGA is my favorite game company ever.
#30 Posted by GreySeal9 (25020 posts) -

I've never owned a Saturn, but I prefer the Dreamcast over the Genesis even if the latter was more successful.

#31 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8124 posts) -

I'm going for Genesis because it has so many games I like to play on it. The Saturn is great as well and I like the Dreamcast also.
The Game Gear though, is the one I was most surprised by. I didn't really keep up with it's library and finally got one cheap at a garage sale. Once I started looking into games I found it has a better library than I thought.

I plan to get a Master System sometime this year so I'll finally have all the SEGA consoles. (Genesis was the only one I owned during it's time)

#32 Posted by mariokart64fan (19650 posts) -

im gonna have to say genesis/megadrive,   because  it is close behind snes in terms of quality games i dont own a master system ,    and saturn /dc were both very short lived platforms dc has  some good games but it lacks in certain genres , .  

#33 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17265 posts) -

Game Gear? :lol:

Boy. I loved that handheld. I even had the TV tuner for it.

#34 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

I'm going for Genesis because it has so many games I like to play on it. The Saturn is great as well and I like the Dreamcast also.
The Game Gear though, is the one I was most surprised by. I didn't really keep up with it's library and finally got one cheap at a garage sale. Once I started looking into games I found it has a better library than I thought.

I plan to get a Master System sometime this year so I'll finally have all the SEGA consoles. (Genesis was the only one I owned during it's time)

Eikichi-Onizuka

if you liked game gear then I'm sure you will also like master system. also has a great library

#35 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

[QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"]

bultje112

if you liked game gear then I'm sure you will also like master system. also has a great library

You can also just get a Master Converter for Game Gear. They are like $20-30 on eBay and let you play Master System games on your Game Gear.

#36 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

[QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"]

logicalfrank

You can also just get a Master Converter for Game Gear. They are like $20-30 on eBay and let you play Master System games on your Game Gear.

I have one. It is awesome for playing Master System games on the go. But it isn't a replacement for an actual Master System. The Game Gear's screen quality just sucks compared to an actual T.V.

#37 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3836 posts) -

Best Sega console for me goes to the Genesis.

#38 Posted by LJSEXAY (1866 posts) -

I've never owned a Saturn, but I prefer the Dreamcast over the Genesis even if the latter was more successful.

GreySeal9
Saturn was cool. Must underrated console ever.
#39 Posted by GreySeal9 (25020 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

LJSEXAY

I definitely want to own one at some point.

#40 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJSEXAY"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

I wouldn't say Saturn is for everybody , but Id say its one of my favourite consoles, maybe 2nd behined the PS1 if you like arcade-like games , fighting games, shmups, Sega's 1st party games , along with the occasional platformer or RPG, you will like it
#41 Posted by GSJones1994 (332 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJSEXAY"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Same here, I'm gonna get a Saturn for Mega Man 8 first, then check out the other great stuff. MM8 may be a bit of a pain to get though.
#42 Posted by BigBen11111 (1528 posts) -
Sega Genesis for me, my childhood was built on NES, SNES & then Genesis.
#43 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4729 posts) -

The Genesis, the Golden Age of Sega.

#44 Posted by WhySoLimp (135 posts) -

Dreamcast. I grew up on the Genesis, but I was young and didn't have the internet, and didn't bother to look up reviews in gaming mags, so I ended up playing a lot of its crappy games rather than its best (in retrospect). Also, a couple of my friends back in the 6th and 7th grade had a Dreamcast, so sleepover parties with its multiplayer games were just amazing nights.

#45 Posted by JimmiCottam (103 posts) -
The Saturn - The underdog!
#46 Posted by Cloud_765 (111394 posts) -
Genesis is my favorite, without a doubt. So many amazing games on it. I think it's in my favorite 5 home consoles, actually, with the PS1, PS2, PS3, and SNES. (With the Wii just after all of those)
#47 Posted by godzillavskong (7899 posts) -
All of em!
#48 Posted by Blueresident87 (5340 posts) -

Genesis

#49 Posted by TheKungFool (5384 posts) -
Sega CDX for me personally.
#50 Posted by 2_Quiet_2_Riot (725 posts) -

Genesis and followed by Dreamcast