Your favorite overall genre

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

With all the recent activity on the Legacy boards and a lot of new faces I see some new questions being posted for the first time in quite a while. I for one really appreciate that. However this sudden increase on the boards got me to wondering wheter the increase was because people are getting tired of this generations over exposure to shooters and the like, or if it is just by chance.

I have a theory that I want to test.

That is why I would like you all to post your favorite genre (excluding this generation). Just one...

I know that can be hard, but I personally feel that one genre has really lacked this generation and that is why the retro bards on gameing sites have been increasing.

I guess I will let the cat out of the bag now... lol

My favorite genre is JRPG turn based style games. Something this generation all but forgot about. So how about all of you? Also, do you agree that that genre has lacked? Do you want to see more next gen even if that isnt the genre you picked as your favorite, or would you rather just see it die off? The fighting genre made a strong comeback, so do you thing that RPG's can too, or do you think that the lack of online features in turn based RPG's has doomed the genre? Think it over guys and if you want just post your favorite genre, the other questions are just optional. I was just curious to see how others feel about gaming in general.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#2 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Definetly JRPG's, be them turn-based or action-RPG's. 2D Fighters are a close second.
tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 tab134
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
FPS. Its really hard to stand by this because of the genres current state, but god i have so many fond memories. i started playing doom when I was about 4 or 5, got into quake and duke nukem shortly after. two or three years later half life comes out and counter strike was born. being cracked out on counter strike presteam ruled, i played religiously. than source came out and i spent another 3 years cracked out on that. and amongst all these awesome games i also had quake2/3, unreal tornament, cod, battlefield 1942, allied assault, tribes, rogue spear, list goes on. as for console fps, lots of awesome memories of goldeneye. played the hell out of halo 2 and unreal championship.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Action-RPGs for me. I love the RPG elements like leveling-up, gearing up your character, gaining new skills, loot, battling, and exploring. But I got pretty tired of the same old turn-based gameplay of traditional JRPGs, since I've been gaming since that sort of thing was being popularized with games like Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy on the NES. Action-RPGs give me all the parts I love about an RPG, with the added unpredictactability and action of real-time combat.

Some of my favorite games in the genre include:

The Elder Scrolls games (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim), Neverwinter Nights, King's Field series, Baldur's Gate games, Crystalis, Actraiser, and so many others.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Flight Games... Specifically, games like "AeroWings", "Sky Odyssey", and "AeroElite Combat Academy" where the emphasis is on precision flight, stunts, and other related technique which doesn't involve shooting another pilot down - But I'm also into that stuff, too. WWII aerial combat is right up there, "IL*2 Strumovic", the "Heroes" series ("Heroes Over the Pacific", "Over Europe"), "Secret Weapons Over Normandy", "Iron Aces"...

... I can NEVER get enough of WWII air force tech, from ALL of the nationalities. It was the last great test of man & machine...

... And of course, I do enjoy a good jet from time to time...

"Ace Combat", "Airforce Delta", etc., etc.

:D

There aren't too many out there, but I likes a nice biplane game, as well... "Wings of War" comes to mind.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WitIsWisdom

FPS. Its really hard to stand by this because of the genres current state, but god i have so many fond memories. i started playing doom when I was about 4 or 5, got into quake and duke nukem shortly after. two or three years later half life comes out and counter strike was born. being cracked out on counter strike presteam ruled, i played religiously. than source came out and i spent another 3 years cracked out on that. and amongst all these awesome games i also had quake2/3, unreal tornament, cod, battlefield 1942, allied assault, tribes, rogue spear, list goes on. as for console fps, lots of awesome memories of goldeneye. played the hell out of halo 2 and unreal championship.tab134

Shooters are definately one of my favorite genres as well. Do you like 3rd person shooters too, or not so much? Counter Strike remains a dominant force all these years later... its almost unreal. I wish SOCOM could have kept that lasting appeal with a larfer audience.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WitIsWisdom

Action-RPGs for me. I love the RPG elements like leveling-up, gearing up your character, gaining new skills, loot, battling, and exploring. But I got pretty tired of the same old turn-based gameplay of traditional JRPGs, since I've been gaming since that sort of thing was being popularized with games like Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy on the NES. Action-RPGs give me all the parts I love about an RPG, with the added unpredictactability and action of real-time combat.

Some of my favorite games in the genre include:

The Elder Scrolls games (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim), Neverwinter Nights, King's Field series, Baldur's Gate games, Crystalis, Actraiser, and so many others.

Emerald_Warrior

It sounds like we came from around the same era. I grew up with Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy on the NES as well, and I still love them. I am actually playing through the original FF remake on the origins disc. I did previoulsy beat the first game, but never the origins one. Dragon Warrior was the first RPG that I ever beat. I also love Action-RPG's and they are a very close second if not in a direct tie for first with me as well.

The Elder Scrolls series is probably my favorite series of all time... sadly this excludes Skyrim which I was dissapointed with.. :(

King's Field, Baldur's Gate, Actraiser, etc. are also great games.

Are you a fan of the Two Worlds games? They are a little lower budget, but not horrible. How about games like Dungeon Master III?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WitIsWisdom

Flight Games... Specifically, games like "AeroWings", "Sky Odyssey", and "AeroElite Combat Academy" where the emphasis is on precision flight, stunts, and other related technique which doesn't involve shooting another pilot down - But I'm also into that stuff, too. WWII aerial combat is right up there, "IL*2 Strumovic", the "Heroes" series ("Heroes Over the Pacific", "Over Europe"), "Secret Weapons Over Normandy", "Iron Aces"...

... I can NEVER get enough of WWII air force tech, from ALL of the nationalities. It was the last great test of man & machine...

There aren't too many out there, but I likes a nice biplane game, as well... "Wings of War" comes to mind.

MonkeySpot

Aerial combat games are up there for me as well. I was getting near the bottom of your post thinking "I cant believe he didnt mention Ace Combat!" lol... I thought to soon.

I am going to have to try a few of the other in your list however. Do you like related games like mech warfare or transformer games as well, or do you keep mainly to more of a realistic tone?

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#9 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

I go in and out of phases. Right now, I cannot get enough 2D platformers. Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Yoshi's Island, Super Meat Boy, Kirby... This is all I've been playing lately. I have tended in the past to be into console RPGs but nowadays I just get sick of reading crap or listening to dialog and just wanna do some quick jumps. I am also jonesing for some Diablo-style dungeon crawlers but there's just not many of them on handhelds, which is where I tend to play these days.

Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts

It's hard to choose just one. If I had to pick, it'd be action/adventure (third-person) as most of my favorite games fall in that catagory (Grand Theft Auto, Just Cause, Max Payne, Alan Wake etc). Right behind it would be FPS, because at the same time I play Crysis, Battlefield and such.

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

RPGs (both J and W) followed by platformers.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

WitIsWisdom

Aerial combat games are up there for me as well. I was getting near the bottom of your post thinking "I cant believe he didnt mention Ace Combat!" lol... I thought to soon.

I am going to have to try a few of the other in your list however. Do you like related games like mech warfare or transformer games as well, or do you keep mainly to more of a realistic tone?

I lean to the sim side, but I find pleasure in games like "Battle Engine Aquilla", "MechWarrior", and Transformers games too. If I had to specify, though, my love is WWII air tech. It was the last great era of real piloting skill & engineering of aircraft making the difference. With today's tech, as impressive as it is, it's still lock-ons and computer assistance, even in flying the plane...

... ALL DUE RESPECT to today's pilots. I couldn't do what you do, or know what you know. Jet Jocks have my utter RESPECT. And the tech IS pretty cool.

But give me a Hellcat, a Corsair, or a Zero any day. THOSE were aircraft!

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

platformers

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WitIsWisdom

It's hard to choose just one. If I had to pick, it'd be action/adventure (third-person) as most of my favorite games fall in that catagory (Grand Theft Auto, Just Cause, Max Payne, Alan Wake etc). Right behind it would be FPS, because at the same time I play Crysis, Battlefield and such.

Amster_G

I was wondering if anybody was going to pick this kind of gameplay. It seems that the trend is slowing down a bit, but over the past several years it seems as though games in the GTA type gameplay were a dime a dozen. Which isnt always such a bad thing seeing as though I have enjoyed the vast majority of them. I could never play through the entire storyline of a GTA game because they never gripped me quite enough (Vice City was close though). However, it is a blast to get on a game like that just breaking the law and seeing how long you can last.... lol I do the same thing in open worlded sandbox games like the Driver series. Evading poilice and wracking up a wanted record can be a fun short boost. Especially if you are taking turns with a friend.

Nismology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 Nismology
Member since 2009 • 649 Posts
I seem to be in the minority... Racing. My second favourite being Skateboarding/Snowboarding (SSX and Tony Hawk's FTW!) I do enjoy 3D platformers and a few very high quality futuristic FPS games (namely the Halo series and Unreal Tournament). I despise CoD and WWII FPS games in general. They all seem to melt into one. I'm kind of trying to get into SHMUPs at the moment, but really need to sit down and practice! I don't like fighting games at all, mostly because I suck at them, and I don't have the patience for most RPGs, though I have really enjoyed the odd few (Phantasy Star IV, FF7: Crisis Core).
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

MonkeySpot

I lean to the sim side, but I find pleasure in games like "Battle Engine Aquilla", "MechWarrior", and Transformers games too. If I had to specify, though, my love is WWII air tech. It was the last great era of real piloting skill & engineering of aircraft making the difference. With today's tech, as impressive as it is, it's still lock-ons and computer assistance, even in flying the plane...

... ALL DUE RESPECT to today's pilots. I couldn't do what you do, or know what you know. Jet Jocks have my utter RESPECT. And the tech IS pretty cool.

But give me a Hellcat, a Corsair, or a Zero any day. THOSE were aircraft!

I like those type of games too, but I'm definelty more into the action-packed arcade style, more. As a kid I loved the After Burner games, and Top Gun was great too, when you weren't trying to land. Star Fox was an amazing spectacle I couldn't take my eyes away from while playing it (I know, it's hard to believe for you younger gamers, but those polygons were amazing things in the early days). When Descent came out I absolutely fell-in love. Ever since then I've been playing a whole lot more space-ship cockpit-view shooters like the Descent series, Colony Wars games, Forsaken, Star Fox games, and the Star Wars Rogue Squadron games. To tell the truth, I haven't really given actual jet/plane flying games a real chance this or last generation because I was focused more on the space-ship ones. Well except Crimson Skies on XBox, such a great hybrid of cockpit-view airplane dog-fighting and adventure, even with some RPG elements sprinkled through-out and plenty of exploration.

Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Dj-Dampleaf
Member since 2012 • 730 Posts
Well considering I grew you during the age of ages, I guess I would consider Arcade a Genre with games like Defender, Airseasbattle, Rally X, Utopia, Mappy, Q*bert, Frogger, etc. I would also like to give Pinball it's own genre because there were some good and bad games I grew up with Pinball wise. Good Examples: Pinball Champions Pinball Paradise True Pinball Time Cruise Atari pinball Ultimate Pinball(Not sure if it's called this, it was in arcades and I think a terrible terrible console port for the Master System if I recall might be wrong about the MS.) Bad Examples: Sonic Spinball Alien Crush Devils Crush Then I guess I would add SHMUPS, those were all over the place when I was a wee lad with better and better games all the time, probably my favorite genre by far, some examples: 2nd Gen: 2600: Yars Revenge Stargate Defender Defender2 Vanguard Commando Air Raid Atlantis Atlantis2 Asteroids Intel: Astrosmash Nova Blast Demon Attack Coleco: Aqua Attack Cosmic Avenger Front Line Planet Zoom Beam Rider Gyruss Moon Sweeper Vectrex: Cosmic Chasm Solar Quest 3rd Gen: Nes: Section Z Exerion Ikari Warriors Legendary Wings Master System: Fantasy Zone Astro Warrior Fantasy Zone 2 Global Defense Cloud Master 4th Gen: Neo-Geo: Pulstar Viewpoint Last Resort Alpha Mission II Nam-1975 Turbo: Galaga 90 Gunboat Air Zonk Dragons Spirit Psycosis Genesis: Battle Squadron Dinosaurs for hire ESWAT: City under siege Final Zone Phelios Revolution X Sagaia Sega CD: Keio Flying Squadron Robo aleste Nova Storm 5th Gen: PSX: Broken Helix Centipede 3D Assault Rigs Thunder Force V Ateroids 3D G Darius 3DO: Mazer Phoenix 3 Off-world interceptor STARBLADE Jaguar: Defender 2000 Tempest 2000 Zero5 Saturn: Darius Gaiden Power Slave Power Slave Off-world interceptor EXTREME Panzer Dragoon Panzer Dragoon 2 Panzer Dragoon Saga 6th gen: Xbox: Blood Wake Defender(6th gen) Gun Valkyrie Sea Blade Panzer Dragoon Orta House of dead 3 Maximum Chase Armored and Dangerous Robotech invastion Gamecube: Defender(6th gen) Ps2: Ikaruga X-Squad Vampire Knight Gradius III and IV(one box.) WarJetz Twin Caliber Defender(6th gen) 7th gen is pretty much were shooters ended with a few exceptions for the 360. I don't spend money online so i don't mess with live arcade, PSN, or Wiiware. My next would be Role-playing games. Although too many examples to list. might make threads on these genres like the beat em up thread, see if anyone else has played some of the games I have. Nice thread BTW wilt.
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 WitIsWisdom

Well considering I grew you during the age of ages, I guess I would consider Arcade a Genre with games like Defender, Airseasbattle, Rally X, Utopia, Mappy, Q*bert, Frogger, etc. I would also like to give Pinball it's own genre because there were some good and bad games I grew up with Pinball wise. Good Examples: Pinball Champions Pinball Paradise True Pinball Time Cruise Atari pinball Ultimate Pinball(Not sure if it's called this, it was in arcades and I think a terrible terrible console port for the Master System if I recall might be wrong about the MS.) Bad Examples: Sonic Spinball Alien Crush Devils Crush Then I guess I would add SHMUPS, those were all over the place when I was a wee lad with better and better games all the time, probably my favorite genre by far, some examples: 2nd Gen: 2600: Yars Revenge Stargate Defender Defender2 Vanguard Commando Air Raid Atlantis Atlantis2 Asteroids Intel: Astrosmash Nova Blast Demon Attack Coleco: Aqua Attack Cosmic Avenger Front Line Planet Zoom Beam Rider Gyruss Moon Sweeper Vectrex: Cosmic Chasm Solar Quest 3rd Gen: Nes: Section Z Exerion Ikari Warriors Legendary Wings Master System: Fantasy Zone Astro Warrior Fantasy Zone 2 Global Defense Cloud Master 4th Gen: Neo-Geo: Pulstar Viewpoint Last Resort Alpha Mission II Nam-1975 Turbo: Galaga 90 Gunboat Air Zonk Dragons Spirit Psycosis Genesis: Battle Squadron Dinosaurs for hire ESWAT: City under siege Final Zone Phelios Revolution X Sagaia Sega CD: Keio Flying Squadron Robo aleste Nova Storm 5th Gen: PSX: Broken Helix Centipede 3D Assault Rigs Thunder Force V Ateroids 3D G Darius 3DO: Mazer Phoenix 3 Off-world interceptor STARBLADE Jaguar: Defender 2000 Tempest 2000 Zero5 Saturn: Darius Gaiden Power Slave Power Slave Off-world interceptor EXTREME Panzer Dragoon Panzer Dragoon 2 Panzer Dragoon Saga 6th gen: Xbox: Blood Wake Defender(6th gen) Gun Valkyrie Sea Blade Panzer Dragoon Orta House of dead 3 Maximum Chase Armored and Dangerous Robotech invastion Gamecube: Defender(6th gen) Ps2: Ikaruga X-Squad Vampire Knight Gradius III and IV(one box.) WarJetz Twin Caliber Defender(6th gen) 7th gen is pretty much were shooters ended with a few exceptions for the 360. I don't spend money online so i don't mess with live arcade, PSN, or Wiiware. My next would be Role-playing games. Although too many examples to list. might make threads on these genres like the beat em up thread, see if anyone else has played some of the games I have. Nice thread BTW wilt.Dj-Dampleaf

First off, thanks man. Second that is a pretty extensive list of examples you gave. It is nice to see so much love for a genre hanging on for dear life outside of the various digital market places... I never give this genre enough respect, but looking at all the great examples you gave and thinking of many more that I like as well, it is now aparent to me that this genre may place higher on my overall genre top list then I had previously thought. Thanks for the heads up.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Hmmm...

Action-adventure games,no doubt.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

Too hard to pick just one genre from all of them, i like small samples of everything. Even though if i was only allowed to play 1 game for the rest of my life i'd choose a driving game but i like FPS's, Action Adventures, Flight, and 3PS's just as much.

Choosing a least favourite genre though is easy. :D

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

survival horror i miss the likes of oldschool RE silent hill clocktower fatal frame. and the likes.

i want a horror that's not PC exclusive

Avatar image for deactivated-60156c31f349f
deactivated-60156c31f349f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-60156c31f349f
Member since 2005 • 2836 Posts

With all the recent activity on the Legacy boards and a lot of new faces I see some new questions being posted for the first time in quite a while. I for one really appreciate that. However this sudden increase on the boards got me to wondering wheter the increase was because people are getting tired of this generations over exposure to shooters and the like, or if it is just by chance.

That is why I would like you all to post your favorite genre (excluding this generation). Just one...

I know that can be hard, but I personally feel that one genre has really lacked this generation and that is why the retro bards on gameing sites have been increasing.

My favorite genre is JRPG turn based style games. Something this generation all but forgot about. So how about all of you? Also, do you agree that that genre has lacked? Do you want to see more next gen even if that isnt the genre you picked as your favorite, or would you rather just see it die off? The fighting genre made a strong comeback, so do you thing that RPG's can too, or do you think that the lack of online features in turn based RPG's has doomed the genre? Think it over guys and if you want just post your favorite genre, the other questions are just optional. I was just curious to see how others feel about gaming in general.

WitIsWisdom
I like alot of genre's but if I had to pick one it would be RPG's, both JRPG's and WRPG's. Btw your avatar makes me wanna play Breath of Fire 3 again, love that game!
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WitIsWisdom

[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

Eric_Drav3n

I like alot of genre's but if I had to pick one it would be RPG's, both JRPG's and WRPG's. Btw your avatar makes me wanna play Breath of Fire 3 again, love that game!

Thanks man. I only used 1 avatar for over 5 years (a Chicago Cubs symbol with a glove and bat just below it) before Gamepot ate it.... :( however, my favorite RPG series of all time is the Breath of Fire series (the first 3 at least). So I thought it was fitting to pay my respect to a character that capped of such a great series. I go back and play Breath of Fire 3 all the time.

richard_sim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 richard_sim
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
thanks for the information. qigong exercise classeschat with us at qigong classes
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MonkeySpot

Thanks man. I only used 1 avatar for over 5 years (a Chicago Cubs symbol with a glove and bat just below it) before Gamepot ate it.... :(

WitIsWisdom

I LOVE video pinball, as well... And Wilt, you can put your avatar back up, they fixed that crap!

:)

Retro-Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Retro-Ninja
Member since 2012 • 26 Posts
RPGs
hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#27 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

MonkeySpot

Sure you should try Energy Airforce

Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Dj-Dampleaf
First off, thanks man. Second that is a pretty extensive list of examples you gave. It is nice to see so much love for a genre hanging on for dear life outside of the various digital market places... I never give this genre enough respect, but looking at all the great examples you gave and thinking of many more that I like as well, it is now aparent to me that this genre may place higher on my overall genre top list then I had previously thought. Thanks for the heads up.WitIsWisdom
Oh forgot the other part of your thread. Jrpgs, probably won't come back in the TB style you want because they are severely limited. Like in the U.S. with SS(lol), that was never intended to continue, it was to get around limitations in old wrpgs, and in certain games that seem to have issues handling too much going on without having separated battles. Like thing like the Dragon system in BOF3 and Materia in FF7 are really technically as far as the genre can really get without being unnecessary. TB combat can't go any further than a slightly nicer looking menu navigation and a side gimmick that can effect your moves, but otherwise it can;t really evolve much further and PSP and DS pure TB games this gen have shown this quite a lot. What I want is what your avatar did, go for the no loading screen approach to battles, but make it real-time, and maybe start with partial control of the characters in someway. But avoid the do nothing but press A/X route like FFXIII.
Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dj-Dampleaf

[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

Thanks man. I only used 1 avatar for over 5 years (a Chicago Cubs symbol with a glove and bat just below it) before Gamepot ate it.... :(

MonkeySpot

I LOVE video pinball, as well... And Wilt, you can put your avatar back up, they fixed that crap!

Well look at that, your avatar is back. I am sure something was destroyed to make that happen as a result lol.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#30 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

RPG's

Lately it's been FPS/RPG games like Fallout 3, Bioshock, and Borderlands 2 that have most of my interest.

tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tab134
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts

[QUOTE="tab134"]FPS. Its really hard to stand by this because of the genres current state, but god i have so many fond memories. i started playing doom when I was about 4 or 5, got into quake and duke nukem shortly after. two or three years later half life comes out and counter strike was born. being cracked out on counter strike presteam ruled, i played religiously. than source came out and i spent another 3 years cracked out on that. and amongst all these awesome games i also had quake2/3, unreal tornament, cod, battlefield 1942, allied assault, tribes, rogue spear, list goes on. as for console fps, lots of awesome memories of goldeneye. played the hell out of halo 2 and unreal championship.WitIsWisdom

Shooters are definately one of my favorite genres as well. Do you like 3rd person shooters too, or not so much? Counter Strike remains a dominant force all these years later... its almost unreal. I wish SOCOM could have kept that lasting appeal with a larfer audience.

third person shooters for me is kind of a love/hate relationship. prior to resident evil 4, most of them were hit or miss.the tomb raider and syphon filter series are fun, but you have to admit they're awkward as hell. SOCOM was a definite step up for the genre, and the max payne games were pretty kickass too....than resident evil 4 came out and ruled(oldgamesarebetter), and every tps inherited the over the shoulder cam. I'd say that post 06, i prefer tps games over the fps. i enjoy stuff like gears/dead space/vanquish/gta4/uncharted/ect over modern warfare 3/halo reach. but i still have to admit i'm pretty tired of the over the shoulder cam... my second favorite genre is survival horror, followed by real time strategy.
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#32 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

The old school 2D JRPG... Awesomeness :D

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

MonkeySpot

I love the digital silver ball as well. My love affair with it started with Pin-Bot on the NES by Rare (yeah, that Rare), a port of an actual (and awesome) pinball table. And I've played many others since. Pinball Hall of Fame games (Gottileb Collection & Williams Collection) are pretty aweosme. And I still have yet to the play the Zen Pinball (Pinball FX) tables, but I sooooo want to.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

hurriflash

Native System? Always lookin' for a good flight game...

@Dampleaf - Yeah, Alchemical wizardry always requires that something die to create life elsewhere, and to that end I have been treading lightly around this site, waiting for the inevitable. Happy to have my happy chimp back! And to those who would nit-pick, I am well-aware chimps are not monkeys... But when I found that pic, it felt like I was lookin' in a mirror...

On the subject of vid-pinball, I have been playing everything since "Atari Pinball" on the 2600. I was hooked by that. Now that they can emulate real tables SO well, I am in Heaven with the Hall of Fame discs, and I want to invest in that new set which was claiming they would be adding new classic tables like "Creature from the Black Lagoon", "Adams Family", and older tables of course.

I literally grew up around pinball in the 70s, mom was a bowler and the bowling alley had all the greats... I can still see the cigarette burns and smell the stale smoke. Those were the days... "Sanitizer" was mom blowing the dirt off something after it hit the floor...

:P

... We were innocent, back then. Paint chips were a tasty treat.

hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#35 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

[QUOTE="hurriflash"]

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

MonkeySpot

Native System? Always lookin' for a good flight game...

@Dampleaf - Yeah, Alchemical wizardry always requires that something die to create life elsewhere, and to that end I have been treading lightly around this site, waiting for the inevitable. Happy to have my happy chimp back! And to those who would nit-pick, I am well-aware chimps are not monkeys... But when I found that pic, it felt like I was lookin' in a mirror...

On the subject of vid-pinball, I have been playing everything since "Atari Pinball" on the 2600. I was hooked by that. Now that they can emulate real tables SO well, I am in Heaven with the Hall of Fame discs, and I want to invest in that new set which was claiming they would be adding new classic tables like "Creature from the Black Lagoon", "Adams Family", and older tables of course.

I literally grew up around pinball in the 70s, mom was a bowler and the bowling alley had all the greats... I can still see the cigarette burns and smell the stale smoke. Those were the days... "Sanitizer" was mom blowing the dirt off something after it hit the floor...

:P

... We were innocent, back then. Paint chips were a tasty treat.

Ps2 made by Taito, cheeck up

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#36 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

RPGs, particularly SRPGs if I have to be more specific. I really have yet to find one that I dislike.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
Well my top 3 games are each in their own genre's. One is an overhead vertical run-n-gun. Another is an action platformer with some RPG elements. The last is vehicular combat. Racing, Fighting, and FPS make up the rest of the majority of my gaming library.
bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#38 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

I'd definitely have to go with 2D Side Scrollers/Platformers...games like Castlevania SotN, DoS, IV, Rondo of Blood, Mega Man X, 2, 3, and 9, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Metroid Fusion/Zero Mission, Wario Land 3, and Donkey Kong Country are some of the best video games I've ever played.

I also really like 3D Platformers and JRPGs.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
Platformers.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
I don't have a single favorite genre, I really like action/adventure, platformers, RPGs, and shmups.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Emerald_Warrior

I don't have a single favorite genre, I really like action/adventure, platformers, RPGs, and shmups.Eikichi-Onizuka

Those are the best ones, right there. Add video pinball and arcade-style racing games and that's my list of gaming genres that I play (oh and wrestling games).

SonOfChewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SonOfChewbacca
Member since 2004 • 653 Posts

FPS, mainly ones from the early 90s til the mid 00s:

Battlefield 1942

Battlefield 2

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay

Counter-Strike

Crysis

Descent

Descent II

Descent 3

DOOM

DOOM II

Doom 3

Duke Nukem 3D

Far Cry

Far Cry: Instincts

FEAR

Half-Life

Half-Life 2

Half-Life: Opposing Force

Halo

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

Medal of Honor

Medal of Honor: Underground

No One Lives Forever

No One Lives Forever 2

Quake

Quake II

Quake III

Rainbow Six

Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear

Rainbow Six: Raven Shield

Rainbow Six 3 (Xbox)

Red Faction

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Serious Sam: The First Encounter

Serious Sam: The Second Encounter

Unreal Tournament

Unreal Tournament 2004

Then there's the ones that aren't really FPS, but are still in the first person perspective:

Thief & Thief II, which are first person stealth.

Metroid Prime, which Nintendo classifies as First Person Adventure.

Deus Ex & System Shock 2, which are first person RPGs.

Colony Wars & FreeSpace 2, which are space sims.

BattleZone, which is a fusion of RTS and FPS.

Fezzinator101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 Fezzinator101
Member since 2011 • 195 Posts

Platformers

M3tr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

#45 M3tr4nk0
Member since 2008 • 889 Posts

I can't pick just one, but I guess my favorites are action/adventure (especially open world), FPS, racing (arcade or sim), and real-time strategy.

Frieza99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Frieza99
Member since 2012 • 228 Posts
Racing's and RPG's.
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 WitIsWisdom

Trust me, I know picking just one can be extremely challenging. I have favorite games for each genre, and then favorite games for sub genres within those... lol

I play many different genres as well, and several of them vary so drastically some people dont know how i can like os many different types of games. However, dont look at this thread like a "1 no matter what thread" look at it like a "Overall throughout the years" thread.

I could easily put platformers, shooters, racing, and sports games near the top s well... heck I could probaboy even through in puzzle games which I dont think anybody has mentioned yet... (I'll have to go back and look).

If no one has, that is surprising though.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 WitIsWisdom

[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]First off, thanks man. Second that is a pretty extensive list of examples you gave. It is nice to see so much love for a genre hanging on for dear life outside of the various digital market places... I never give this genre enough respect, but looking at all the great examples you gave and thinking of many more that I like as well, it is now aparent to me that this genre may place higher on my overall genre top list then I had previously thought. Thanks for the heads up.Dj-Dampleaf
Oh forgot the other part of your thread. Jrpgs, probably won't come back in the TB style you want because they are severely limited. Like in the U.S. with SS(lol), that was never intended to continue, it was to get around limitations in old wrpgs, and in certain games that seem to have issues handling too much going on without having separated battles. Like thing like the Dragon system in BOF3 and Materia in FF7 are really technically as far as the genre can really get without being unnecessary. TB combat can't go any further than a slightly nicer looking menu navigation and a side gimmick that can effect your moves, but otherwise it can;t really evolve much further and PSP and DS pure TB games this gen have shown this quite a lot. What I want is what your avatar did, go for the no loading screen approach to battles, but make it real-time, and maybe start with partial control of the characters in someway. But avoid the do nothing but press A/X route like FFXIII.

I understand what you are saying when you say they are extremely limited, but that is because not enough thought goes into some of them. I truly wish I could take the reigns as a lead designer or project manager. I am on my way, but my schooling is nowhere near complete. I am currently enrolled at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh going for a BA in Game Art & Design. I'm thinking about backing that up with at least an associates in English. That way even if I dont have wuite enough artistic ability (which some people seem to have naturally) I can use my writing skills to get me in the door as a professional reviewer or article writer.

If I had the power to make my own turn based RPG however, I think I could show everybody that it hasnt "already all been done." Look at the shooting genre... it has "evolved" (often times in a bad way) throughout the years. Turn based RPG's just need a bit of an overhaul with seamless loading times and a few other improvements to make a comeback. However like I already stated, it will probably be the most challenging however due to the fact that making online play would be a huge challenge.

If they can come up with a way to make this style of gameplay be cooperative, I believe it could really take off again. However, I dont wnat to see that. I just want the great old RPG's back. i know there are other slike me out there that love the game play and the laid back style while still being challenged.

M3tr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

#49 M3tr4nk0
Member since 2008 • 889 Posts

Trust me, I know picking just one can be extremely challenging. I have favorite games for each genre, and then favorite games for sub genres within those... lol

I play many different genres as well, and several of them vary so drastically some people dont know how i can like os many different types of games. However, dont look at this thread like a "1 no matter what thread" look at it like a "Overall throughout the years" thread.

WitIsWisdom

Hmm, I'll have to go with FPS. I guess it's the genre I've enjoyed the most over the years.

I like both old and new shooters, single player or multiplayer. Some of my favorite series are Half-Life, Counter-Strike and Battlefield, among others.

Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Dj-Dampleaf

[QUOTE="Dj-Dampleaf"][QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]First off, thanks man. Second that is a pretty extensive list of examples you gave. It is nice to see so much love for a genre hanging on for dear life outside of the various digital market places... I never give this genre enough respect, but looking at all the great examples you gave and thinking of many more that I like as well, it is now aparent to me that this genre may place higher on my overall genre top list then I had previously thought. Thanks for the heads up.WitIsWisdom

I understand what you are saying when you say they are extremely limited, but that is because not enough thought goes into some of them. I truly wish I could take the reigns as a lead designer or project manager. I am on my way, but my schooling is nowhere near complete. I am currently enrolled at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh going for a BA in Game Art & Design. I'm thinking about backing that up with at least an associates in English. That way even if I dont have wuite enough artistic ability (which some people seem to have naturally) I can use my writing skills to get me in the door as a professional reviewer or article writer.

If I had the power to make my own turn based RPG however, I think I could show everybody that it hasnt "already all been done." Look at the shooting genre... it has "evolved" (often times in a bad way) throughout the years. Turn based RPG's just need a bit of an overhaul with seamless loading times and a few other improvements to make a comeback. However like I already stated, it will probably be the most challenging however due to the fact that making online play would be a huge challenge.

If they can come up with a way to make this style of gameplay be cooperative, I believe it could really take off again. However, I dont wnat to see that. I just want the great old RPG's back. i know there are other slike me out there that love the game play and the laid back style while still being challenged.

The issue people and you no offense don't realize is that progression of turn based combat rpgs was held up to Western Devs that would always add heavy depth and complex gameplay with the system and when they ditched it, Japan pretty much kept the same exact formula. They only tampered with some outside elements, like getting attacked in real-time, which was actually already done, but you get the point, and adding side-ons like materia and in my and your case, Dragon transformations, but that never actually added to the combat just added more options during it. Take for example, Chrono Trigger, which lots of people like for some reason, the battle system is streamlined and easy but not progressive. Final Fantasy X while 2 gens of the FF engine, is not progressive, and this is why the popularity of Jrpgs only rose up highly with a few franchises and crashed back down especially the end of last gen and all this gen. What people need to do is do as you say, add more effort, but nobody seems to know what that actually means. Better monster summons? no, random character switch crap that doesn't work(unlimited Saga)? no. Have some side monster attack on the side without being controlled? no. People need to put more effort on the battle system and how you use it, instead of just adding sugar a grease on the outside to make the cake look tasty and then it tastes like cardboard. The question is nobody is doing that. The Wrpgs that still used some form of Turnbased all finished or died last gen. Mostly finished. They need to forget cardboard boxes and use actual flower and bake the cake and add stuff from the inside to make a tasty treat. You get my meaning.