Your favorite games that everyone else hates.

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

huerito323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By huerito323
Member since 2009 • 1432 Posts

There's been plenty of games I've played that received horrible reviews and were extremely hated on. The first one that comes to mind is Superman 64. I am NOT joking. I was a kid back then, probably around 12. I remember renting it twice and I thought it was pretty damn cool! Maybe if I play it now I can see how horrible it is, but I sure had fun with it back then.

Another one that comes to my mind is Two Worlds. This game was supposed to be the "Oblivion killer". After the highly acclaimed Bethesda game, people were ready for an even better experience, and Two Worlds was supposed to be that game. People ended up hating it, and quickly titled it "the worst game ever made". In my opinion, this game is a much better RPG than Oblivion. It's more of a hardcore experience, and once patched, the technical issues weren't that bad. I loved the game, and the sequel was a massive improvement. I am still eager for the 3rd one.

So what are some of the games that you're afraid of telling people you like?

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

Costume quest.

"Isn't that for little kids?"

Umm.. yea so? It's charming!

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#3 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. This was one of the most hated games a decade ago, but the hate has died down significantly over the past decade.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

President Evil 6

and Beyond Two Souls.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

True crimes: New York city. I loved it for good reasons. Sleeping dogs kind of uses the same formula and it has received good reviews.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

My answer to this question is always Sonic 3D Blast for the saturn. The gameplay isn't broken, and the atmosphere, music, and special stages make it a really charming game to play.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

FFXIII. That Black Knight guy is the only user I've seen on here that doesn't hate it. Game gets way too much flack. Perfect game design and great combat.

huerito323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 huerito323

@firefox59 said:

FFXIII. That Black Knight guy is the only user I've seen on here that doesn't hate it. Game gets way too much flack. Perfect game design and great combat.

I want to give it a try now that the new one is about to release.

t1striker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 t1striker
Member since 2003 • 1549 Posts

MGS2 - The best part about the game imo was the part(story) that people complained the most about(besides Raiden), and only because they couldn't understand it. Still in my opinion the best game in the series when it comes to the story, even though I still consider MGS3 the best overall game of the series.

Aidyn Chronicles - A THQ RPG for the N64. The game got very low scores, and didn't do very well, but I loved the game. It has been a while since I've played it, but the gameplay was a blast imo. I love turn-based games, and miss turn based Rpg/Jrpg games.

huerito323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By huerito323

I want to add some more to my list.

Risen 2: This game has bad reviews, and fanboys of Skyrim love to hate on it. Fact is, this game is a pretty damn good RPG. It's challenging and there is no hand holding. Great voice acting, characters, and pirate themed setting. You can get a pet monkey to steal things for you. The leveling system is neat. It's too bad that these games get no love.

The Fable series: Seriously, people love hating on this franchise for some reason. They are great games and I love all of them.

DMC: One of my favorite games of 2013. I am so upset it sold poorly and that people gave it a lot of crap for being different. I loved it, it's too bad that most hated it.

MW2: My favorite of the COD franchise seems to be the most hated. MW2 is always criticized of being unbalanced with all its killstreaks and over the top perks, but this game was a blast. The most intense and exciting online shooter I've played.

Halo 3 ODST: I truly believe that if this game was a $20 DLC for H3, it would've been received differently. But the fact that it was $60 just for having H3's multiplayer+map packs just didn't sit well with fans. I thought it had a great story, atmosphere, and an amazing soundtrack. I don't know why people call it the worst Halo game.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

FFXIII

Game gets way too much hate because everyone is comparing it to their fave ff but as a game, i liked it.

MGS2

This was my 1st mgs game but it is easily my fave one because the pacing was great, the story was interesting and it was very inspiring. Gotta play it again soon:-)

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12  Edited By RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts
  • Any open world game with vehicles and weapons that isn't GTA.
  • Duke Nukem Forever
  • GTA V, I am NOT joking here, go check out the GTA Forums and you will see that many hate it.
Lhomity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 Lhomity
Member since 2011 • 508 Posts

Lollipop Chainsaw

Final Fantasy X-2

Any of the Deception games, except the first one.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

Hmm... looking over some of the replies here:

Costume Quest was a ton of fun, I don't see how you could really 'hate' that game. ODST was great and had, in my opinion, the best soundtrack in the whole series. But yeah, dat price.

I don't hate MGS2 but it's definitely not my favorite in the series. Give me Snake Eater any day.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

Tenchu Z and Shadowrun (the multiplayer shooter on 360). Those 2 are amount my 10 favorite games of last gen and neither was well received.

BennyNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 BennyNorth
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@huerito323 said:

MW2: My favorite of the COD franchise seems to be the most hated. MW2 is always criticized of being unbalanced with all its killstreaks and over the top perks, but this game was a blast. The most intense and exciting online shooter I've played.

Damn straight. Music from Hans Zimmer and really tight gameplay made this a fantastic game. The story mode was the perfect balance of cinematic and playable, a mix that later games tended to get wrong.

Can't knock the splitscreen either. When Black Ops 1 came out with messed up offline multiplayer I was gutted.

Beagle050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Beagle050
Member since 2008 • 737 Posts

Delta Force Black Hawk Down / Team Sabre. Both are kind of a mess (especially Team Sabre), but they're my favorite fps.

Chief9088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Chief9088
Member since 2006 • 441 Posts

Driver 3

Final Fantasy XII

Loved these games to death.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

kameo

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#20 iamllamapie
Member since 2012 • 297 Posts
  • 40 Winks - A platformer on the PS1. Don't know why my friends hated it but it's charm made me love it.
  • Alone in the Dark (2008) - I don't know why.
  • Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly - It's music etc. It felt like a PS1 Spyro game. Wasn't until I discovered the internet how everyone hated it.
  • Resident Evil 5 - I hate this as a Resi game but come back to it every so often. A guilty pleasure, if you will.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

RE6- was an alright game, the only flaws it had was Leons last boss fight and the game could've been done w/o Jakes crappy campaign.

RE Outbreak- such an underrated game, probably one of the best RE games and barely anyone knows about it or cares

FF12- probably my 2nd fav FF game, would love a HD version instead of that crappy FFX HD

The Witcher- gets a lot of flak for being meh, honestly it's one of my fav WRPG's

Diablo 3- the loot system sucks but GD I love the class abilities.

Lhomity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lhomity
Member since 2011 • 508 Posts

@iamllamapie: I also really enjoyed 40 Winks. Sadly, a lot of people I knew back then, dismissed it, and it got poor reviews in most magazines, and some websites. Shame.

I still have it. I'm slightly tempted to find it and play it now.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@huerito323 said:

There's been plenty of games I've played that received horrible reviews and were extremely hated on. The first one that comes to mind is Superman 64. I am NOT joking. I was a kid back then, probably around 12. I remember renting it twice and I thought it was pretty damn cool! Maybe if I play it now I can see how horrible it is, but I sure had fun with it back then.

Another one that comes to my mind is Two Worlds. This game was supposed to be the "Oblivion killer". After the highly acclaimed Bethesda game, people were ready for an even better experience, and Two Worlds was supposed to be that game. People ended up hating it, and quickly titled it "the worst game ever made". In my opinion, this game is a much better RPG than Oblivion. It's more of a hardcore experience, and once patched, the technical issues weren't that bad. I loved the game, and the sequel was a massive improvement. I am still eager for the 3rd one.

LA Noire even thou its not that hated.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24  Edited By Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

@dethtrain said:

Costume quest.

"Isn't that for little kids?"

Umm.. yea so? It's charming!

costume quest is awesome... but people either really love or really hate double fine games. it seems like a pretty even split.

I wouldn't say people hate the games I like, but there are very few shmup and point + click adventure fans on here. I post about The Sea Will Claim Everything or Dodonpachi Saidaioujou and no one knows what I'm talking about. I guess in the end, it makes me feel as if they're mine.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

TMNT: Out of the Shadows. The river of bile the internet spewed out at this game was so unwarranted it actually makes me angry. The rhythm of the combat took some adjusting to, but once you catch the flow, it is every bit as fine a punchin' stuff game as Batman: Arkham City. The design of the turtles was a perfect mix of their previous cartoon rendering and a realistic mutant turtle look, and everything from their fighting styles down to their walking animations highlights their individuality and even gives you a real sense of the pecking orderbetween the four of them- Raph is the oldest, but his temper leaves him ill-suited to the leader and is built like a brick wall; Leo is second oldest but has the discipline to hold the team together- he's fit, but average in build; Donnie is third in line, so he doesn't bother vying for authority and thus channels his abilities toward tinkering with gizmos and gadgets- he's tall and wiry; Mikey is the youngest, the smallest, and the loudest.

They're more individual in this game than in any other TMNT game ever made and I think at the very least Red Fly ought to have been praised for that.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26  Edited By bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

I didn't think anyone hated FF12..... loved that game!

I liked Resident Evil ORC a lot. I'm sure it got some hate.

Kane and Lynch.... Weren't the best games but I enjoyed them.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#27  Edited By benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9174 Posts

I liked Final Fantasy XII

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

P.N. 03 (Gamecube)

One of the "Capcom Five" games. I honestly thought the game was addicting as hell. It had such a unique way of presenting a classic idea, an arcade style shooter, just replacing the generic space ship with a lady with great… assets. (Oh myyyyy) Unfortunately the level design was admittedly drab as all get out, and the controls were really hard to master. But, lightning struck and I got into it. It used to be the banner of my old UCB circa 2003, The Virtual Underground.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29  Edited By Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

I can agree with P.N. 03.... in that I actually hated it. the only reason I played all the way through it is because of mikami. so.... good choice :P

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Resident evil 6

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

Resident Evil 6. Aside from a few rough spots I thought it was a great game. I also really enjoyed the Bionic Commando reboot.

187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By 187umKILLAH
Member since 2010 • 1414 Posts
  • Dead Island, enjoyed it a lot but then unlike most complaints I never experienced any bugs - maybe because I got the GOTY Edition.
  • Aliens VS Predator, graphics and sound are flawless. The combat put a lot of people off being mainly melee in FPS view but I enjoyed it.
  • The Amazing Spider-man, lots to do in a large city with awesome boss battles, upgrades, collectible comics and hidden suits. Loved it, the indoor bits were kinda dull though.
  • F1 Race Stars, fun reigns supreme in this larglely ignored kart racer. Dismissed as a Mario clone critics failed to realize it's unique non-sliding and emphasis on braking sets it apart from similar games. My only complaint is game play wise it's too damn short, the mass of dlc packs that arrived later could help improve it's lack of content though.

Sidenote: A crappy game to you is not necessarily a crappy game to others, gamers need to stop this pathetic sheep mentality and accept we are all entitled to form our own opinions. See below for a perfect example of a mainstream self absorbed nerd with this stupid trend mentality.

Zjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zjun
Member since 2013 • 147 Posts

Haha.. So many crappy games people are mentioning here, damn (with a couple of exceptions of course -- GTA V and MW 2).

Mr. Z~kun

huerito323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By huerito323
@Jacanuk said:

@huerito323 said:

LA Noire even thou its not that hated.

I was going to mention this one, but it's not really hated. It's just not everyone's cup of tea. I personally loved it, one of my favorite games of all time.

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ShangTsung7
Member since 2014 • 250 Posts

Dead Island: Riptide- everyone seems to hate this game but me, in fact its one of my favorite games of all time.

Dante's Inferno- even tho i don't play it much anymore i still really like it, but most everyone hates it, they call it a GoW clone, ripoff, ect.. whatever, i thought it was better than all the GoW games combined.

SFXTekken- everyone who likes fighting games as i do seem to put this one at the bottom of their list, mainly due to capcom's greedy "on disk dlc" bs which they used to make us pay for the extra characters even tho they were already in the game, if you can get over your anger with capcom you'll find that this is a really fun fighting game, one of my favorites in fact.

Alpha Protocol- damn this game got a lot of hate when it first came out and i never understood why cause even tho the story was laughably bad the gameplay was still very entertaining and its still one of my favorite 3rd person shooters.

Bulletstorm- mixed opinions on this one, some people love it but most people hate it, its still a really solid fps game imo despite the fact its really short and tends to get boring quick.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

Uncharted 2, God of War 3, The Last of Us. a lot of people hate these games LOL.. you guys already know why

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ShangTsung7

@blamix99 said:

Uncharted 2, God of War 3, The Last of Us. a lot of people hate these games LOL.. you guys already know why

don't recall The Last of Us getting much hate, it was well received, even tho i personally thought it was a mediocre 3rd person shooter at best..

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

@shangtsung7 said:

@blamix99 said:

don't recall The Last of Us getting much hate, it was well received, even tho i personally thought it was a mediocre 3rd person shooter at best..

post something about TLOU in system wars. xbox fanboys will come and make up stuff, cause they hate the game so much

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ShangTsung7

@blamix99 said:

@shangtsung7 said:

@blamix99 said:

post something about TLOU in system wars. xbox fanboys will come and make up stuff, cause they hate the game so much

well.. i was actually refering to intelligent reviews of the game, not fanboys as they will always make up reasons for why a game should be hated, hence why i pay no attention to their opinions. NON-fanboys who reviewed it had nothing but good things to say about the game.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@firefox59 said:

Anyways i'll go with FF8.Lots of people seem to hate that but to me,It's my favorite ff game right after 6 and 4.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

@firefox59 said:

Anyways i'll go with FF8.Lots of people seem to hate that but to me,It's my favorite ff game right after 6 and 4.

This, Quote,video short, and comment.

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ShangTsung7

@El_Zo1212o said:

TMNT: Out of the Shadows. The river of bile the internet spewed out at this game was so unwarranted it actually makes me angry. The rhythm of the combat took some adjusting to, but once you catch the flow, it is every bit as fine a punchin' stuff game as Batman: Arkham City. The design of the turtles was a perfect mix of their previous cartoon rendering and a realistic mutant turtle look, and everything from their fighting styles down to their walking animations highlights their individuality and even gives you a real sense of the pecking orderbetween the four of them- Raph is the oldest, but his temper leaves him ill-suited to the leader and is built like a brick wall; Leo is second oldest but has the discipline to hold the team together- he's fit, but average in build; Donnie is third in line, so he doesn't bother vying for authority and thus channels his abilities toward tinkering with gizmos and gadgets- he's tall and wiry; Mikey is the youngest, the smallest, and the loudest.

They're more individual in this game than in any other TMNT game ever made and I think at the very least Red Fly ought to have been praised for that.

couldn't agree more, this is one i forgot to mention. had a blast with this game and found the learning curve of the combat highly addicting! takes some patience to get to work right but when it does its the coolest fighting ever! nice to meet a fellow turtle fan btw. ;)

Avatar image for thegamingjunkie
thegamingjunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 thegamingjunkie
Member since 2014 • 309 Posts

RE6> just because of the story.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#44 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Crysis 2

*runs and hides*

Avatar image for angelajackson13
angelajackson13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 angelajackson13
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

PES 6. I have new PC with good configuration but I still play Pro evolution Soccer 6... :)

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I am going to say Diablo 3 and the Fable series

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

Final Fantasy XII.

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

I'd say FF8 and FFX-2... both these games are more often disliked then liked... not sure why cause I thought they were pretty fun. Had fun randomly going up to npcs and playing cards with them and cleaning them out.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#50 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

Cold Fear, Fable.