Your fave 1st generation NFS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

1st generation NFS = the PSX/PS One & PC titles from the 90s/early 2000s.

Hypothetically, we could also include Hot Pursuit 2, but I won't include it for practical reasons.

The Underground, Most Wanted, Pro Street, Shift & Undercover games = *not* 1st generation NFS titles by any means.

Some pics:

- The Need For Speed (1994; 3DO, Saturn, PSX, PC)

1328718264_nfs1-4.gif

- Need For Speed II (1997; PSX, PC)

NFS2-2.jpg

- Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit (1998; PSX, PC)

nfs3-screen1.jpg

- Need For Speed: Road Challenge/High Stakes ("NFS4", 1999; PSX, PC)

castle.jpg

- Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed/2000 (2000; PSX, PC)

12980-need-for-speed-porsche-unleashed-w

My fave = Porsche Unleashed with TNFS SE on 2nd place. (note that PC version of Porsche is much better than the PS one; the PC one should have been ported over to PS2)

High Stakes was not shabby either and Hot Pursuit genuinelly impressed me when it came out, graphically. (PC version)

#2 Posted by SonOfChewbacca (653 posts) -

I've only played the PS versions of Hot Pursuit and High Stakes, and I loved High Stakes more because of more and better selections of cars and the fact that you could play as the cops this time.

#3 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

I like Need For Speed 3 , though the first is a very good game.

btw that NFS picture doesn't look like the 3DO , it actually looks quite different.

#4 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

btw that NFS picture doesn't look like the 3DO , it actually looks quite different.

Darkman2007

The pics are from the PC versions.

#5 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

nameless12345

ah , that explains it (the 3DO has a blurrier look to it due to the interpolation), also that track isn't in the 3DO version , its only got 3 tracks (although each one is very long) also it has that rival driver who annoys you constantly , which was taken out of the other ones. btw how is NFS2? worth getting if you have NFS and NFS3?
#6 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Darkman2007

ah , that explains it (the 3DO has a blurrier look to it due to the interpolation), also that track isn't in the 3DO version , its only got 3 tracks (although each one is very long) also it has that rival driver who annoys you constantly , which was taken out of the other ones. btw how is NFS2? worth getting if you have NFS and NFS3?

NFSII feels more "arcade" than the first NFS.

Personally, I didn't like it too much but a lot of people like it.

You should look up the SE version as that is the one with the "3D acceleration" under Glide. (you will either need a 3dfx Voodoo card or a Glide wrapper to enable it)

#7 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

NFSII feels more "arcade" than the first NFS.

Personally, I didn't like it too much but a lot of people like it.

You should look up the SE version as that is the one with the "3D acceleration" under Glide. (you will either need a 3dfx Voodoo card or a Glide wrapper to enable it)

NFS2SE it is then , I have a Glide Wrapper, should work fine.
#8 Posted by tab134 (346 posts) -
need for speed 3. the only other one i played was the 2nd, and out of those i played 3 way more as a kid. i remember it having some awesome multiplayer
#9 Posted by andmcq (253 posts) -

Man, what's happened to this series, it used to be so good. It's been turned to complete crap.

#10 Posted by Holyspirit-Xbox (271 posts) -
The only need for speed on that came out in 1994 my child was the 3DO version. I know this because that was a quick system seller exclusive. The Windows version did not come out until the year of Final Fantasy 7 in the states. Other consoles were a year before that I believe.
#11 Posted by Holyspirit-Xbox (271 posts) -

Man, what's happened to this series, it used to be so good. It's been turned to complete crap.

andmcq
Ridge Racer 4. That's when they gave up with the arcade but simulation focus an went crazy.
#12 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (977 posts) -

Porsche 2000/Unleashed by a mile.

Okay it was limited in its choice of cars but it was the first time that a NFS game had decent handling.

#13 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3962 posts) -

Hot Pursuit wins for me by a landslide. The first game of its kind, and a great one at that.

#14 Posted by jsmoke03 (13471 posts) -

ive only played the original need for speed when it had road and track

#15 Posted by Jag85 (5817 posts) -

I don't remember the 1st-gen NFS games, but Underground is my favourite overall.

#16 Posted by Cloud_765 (111394 posts) -
High Stakes.
#17 Posted by Sali217 (1290 posts) -
High Stakes! Would love to see a reboot! I remember one of the coolest things being my best friend bringing over his PS1 memory card and we'd "race for pinks" since you could actually do that in that game.
#18 Posted by Blueresident87 (5384 posts) -

High Stakes.