You think JRPGs will rise again?

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by idunnodude (2281 posts) -

it seems this has been the gen of FPS shooters. i remember back in ps2 days there were a lot of quality JRPGs. and not the ones that are all anime-like with marshmallow people that all look like 10 year olds and the story being about the power of friendship or whatever. im talking more mature type of ones like FFX and FFXII. this gen literally the only JRPG that ive played is FF13, which was good but no where near its predecessors. it seems like there is a real lack of jrpgs this gen. and if there were any they were those wierd little anime types. although there were a lot of good WRPGs like mass effect and skyrim which i really enjoyed.

now that we've gotten our shooter fix out of the way, do you guys think that next gen they will re-focus on JRPGs, or hell just other genres in general? i mean shooters are great and all but its getting to the point where it seems like every other game that comes out these days is a shooter. or maybe i just think square enix has kinda lost it i dunno.

#2 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
there has always been both good and bad jrpg's. they were more popular before because japan was a bigger gaming hub. i doubt they'll be that popular again because japan is getting dwarfed by north america and europe and that isn't going to stop. i'm sure we'll continue to see them get made for a long time though.
#3 Posted by wiouds (5060 posts) -

I can see JRPG raising again. There were a few good on this gen. Many need to get pass the unfair attack on parts of JRPG.

#4 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18262 posts) -
Not until they start writing better stories.
#5 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

I've played plenty of good JRPGs this gen. Of course, like you said, there were more during the PS2 era, but the mature ones with good stories are still there. And as to if they will rise again, who knows. Some other genre may be more popular next gen.

#6 Posted by ristactionjakso (5706 posts) -

Not until they stop with the self cutting emo protagonists, 4 year old party companions, over the top ridiculous drama queen characters, lame storylines ect.

#7 Posted by wiouds (5060 posts) -

Not until they stop with the self cutting emo protagonists, 4 year old party companions, over the top ridiculous drama queen characters, lame storylines ect.

ristactionjakso

Sure, other genre does not have their own problems that can made to look worse by going to extreme exaggerations.

#8 Posted by ristactionjakso (5706 posts) -

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

wiouds

Sure, other genre does not have their own problems that can made to look worse by going to extreme exaggerations.

Ya, but the JRPG's are being out shined in every category because they blow this gen....

#9 Posted by Canuck3000 (40562 posts) -
There were a few good JRPGs this gen. but it wasn't even close to the level of last gen. I really hope we start seeing better JRPGs soon.
#10 Posted by c_rakestraw (14599 posts) -

JRPGs had a better chance at being dominant on console before stuff like Skyrim and Fallout began going multiplatform. JRPGs were about the only sort you could reasonably obtain on console back then. Nowadays, they've got real steep competition. I don't see it happening.

#11 Posted by Archangel3371 (15345 posts) -
Maybe. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing them rise up again in popularity. That being said I've played a fair amount of good to great JRPG's this gen. Some like:
  • Blue Dragon
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Tales of Vesperia
  • Final Fantasy XIII & XIII-2
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Star Ocean: The Last Hope
  • Infinite Undiscovery
I'm currently playing Tales of Graces f and while I don't think it's as good as Vesperia it's still a pretty good game. Then there is still some I have yet to play like The Last Story and Resonance of Fate and the yet to be released Dragon Quest X, Tales of Xillia, and Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns. I found the JRPG scene to be pretty decent this gen.
#12 Posted by taiwwa (251 posts) -

No. JRPG's are dead, with the advent of Mass Effect.

#13 Posted by tjoeb123 (6843 posts) -

JRPGs had a better chance at being dominant on console before stuff like Skyrim and Fallout began going multiplatform. JRPGs were about the only sort you could reasonably obtain on console back then. Nowadays, they've got real steep competition. I don't see it happening.

c_rake
I just can't get myself into WRPGs. Played like 6 of them and every attempt has failed. Of course I grew up playing JRPGs like Final Fantasy and my first, Legend of Dragoon. I think gamers (and the gaming media) need to give them a chance, because some are quite good. Like the Tales series, and...*looks at Canuck3000's avatar* oh, hi Youske...Persona 4. Hell, Persona 4 Golden is the best game (according to me playing it and Metacritic) on the PS Vita right now. If the Vita's pricing issues didn't exist I would tell all of you to go buy the game (and/or a Vita) and play it. And then there are bad ones like......oh god.....Record of Agarest War Zero.......OH GOD.......
#14 Posted by tjoeb123 (6843 posts) -
Damn editing, screwing up my formatting...!! I completely forgot that one JRPG series where 95% of the characters are girls....and has bad frame rates....if you look at my avatar, you know what I'm talking about.
#15 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

c_rake

You bring up a good point. A lot of brand new WRPGs like Mass Effect, Skyrim, and Dragon age have been dominating consoles this gen. Last gen JRPGs didn't have that kind of competition. So if JRPGs want to make a huge comeback they'd probably be better off focusing on the handheld market, which they seem to be doing already.

#16 Posted by wiouds (5060 posts) -

I am more optimistic about JRPG than WRPG right now. WRPG are not doing anything new or they are focusing on parts of WRPG that I do not care that much about. Worse they are weakening or removing the parts of the games that I do care about.

#17 Posted by Minishdriveby (9734 posts) -
Dark Souls Demon's Souls Lost Odyssey Final Fantasy XIII Final Fantasy XIII-2 Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Xenoblade The Last Story Radiant Historia The World Ends With You Tales of Vesperia Dragon Quest IX Dragon Quest Monster Joker (1&2) SMT: Devil Survivor Mario & Luigi Etrian Odyssey All the amazing JRPG remakes (chrono trigger, DQs, FFs) etc. etc. There were some really good console JRPG, but the genre shifted to the handheld market.
#18 Posted by Archangel3371 (15345 posts) -
Yeah that's true that JRPG's have been facing some very stiff competition from WRPG's this gen that they didn't have to contend with such as:
  • Mass Effect
  • Dragon Age
  • Elder Scrolls
This has led some great games that combine both styles such as:
  • Demon's/Dark Souls
  • Dragon's Dogma
#19 Posted by wiouds (5060 posts) -

Yeah that's true that JRPG's have been facing some very stiff competition from WRPG's this gen that they didn't have to contend with such as:

• Mass Effect
  • Dragon Age
  • Elder Scrolls

• Demon's/Dark Souls
  • Dragon's Dogma

Archangel3371

I would say that Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma have everything that are bad in WRPG and JRPG and little that make WRPG or JRPG good.

#20 Posted by Archangel3371 (15345 posts) -

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]Yeah that's true that JRPG's have been facing some very stiff competition from WRPG's this gen that they didn't have to contend with such as:

• Mass Effect
  • Dragon Age
  • Elder Scrolls

• Demon's/Dark Souls
  • Dragon's Dogma

wiouds

I would say that Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma have everything that are bad in WRPG and JRPG and little that make WRPG or JRPG good.

Well as the saying goes, to each their own.
#21 Posted by wiouds (5060 posts) -

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]Yeah that's true that JRPG's have been facing some very stiff competition from WRPG's this gen that they didn't have to contend with such as:

• Mass Effect
  • Dragon Age
  • Elder Scrolls

• Demon's/Dark Souls
  • Dragon's Dogma

Archangel3371

Well as the saying goes, to each their own.

What do you think the strengths of WRPG and JRPG are?

#22 Posted by c_rakestraw (14599 posts) -

You bring up a good point. A lot of brand new WRPGs like Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, and Dragon age have been dominating consoles this gen. Last gen JRPGs didn't have that kind of competition. So if JRPGs want to make a huge comeback they'd probably be better off focusing on the handheld market, which they seem to be doing already.Lucky_Krystal

Yep. Hand-helds are good place to live for the time being, as games like Dragon Quest, the Shin Megami Tensei franchise, and Square Enix's offbeat games like The World Ends With You show. About the only ones that can sustain themselves easily on console are the big-name franchises like Final Fantasy and the Tales Of series.

Mass Effect
Dragon Age
Elder Scrolls

Demon's/Dark Souls
Dragon's Dogma

Archangel3371

I think it's safe to say that Demon's and Dark Souls are some of the best results to come from Japan's sudden obsession with trying to ape the western developers' style. Easily one of the greatest meldings of Japanese and Western RPG philosophies. Games of the generation, right there.

#23 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

I wish. JRPGs probably won't ever rise again.

People are too quick to judge when they see the art style. They think it looks like its for 10 year olds when it's really not.

It's a shame that too many gamers aren't patient enough to play JRPGs. The battle systems are so deep and take plenty of strategy to master.

#24 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

• Mass Effect
  • Dragon Age
  • Elder Scrolls

• Demon's/Dark Souls
  • Dragon's Dogma

Archangel3371

I'd take Tales of Graces, White Knight Chronicles and Resonance of Fate any day over Mass Effect (Which isn't even an RPG, lol), Dragon Age and Elder Scrolls.

#25 Posted by c_rakestraw (14599 posts) -

What do you think the strengths of WRPG and JRPG are?wiouds

Western role-playing games excel at the role-playing aspect. They always let you create a character of your own that you have full control over whist exploring vast, open worlds. It's why Skyrim is so popular: because you're basically able to weave your own story based on your experiences. It's the genre in its purest form.

Japanese style RPGs excel at telling a story through the role-playing medium. Since the protagonist is predefined and the story a very linear path, traditionally, its strengths lie in pure story and character development. For all the tired tropes they use, story is still one of their strongest elements. Plus, they're a for more simpler sort of RPG on virtue of them often locking each character a specific role, thus eliminating the need to carefully craft a character's stats and whatnot.

#26 Posted by Archangel3371 (15345 posts) -

[QUOTE="wiouds"]What do you think the strengths of WRPG and JRPG are?c_rake

Western role-playing games excel at the role-playing aspect. They always let you create a character of your own that you have full control over whist exploring vast, open worlds. It's why Skyrim is so popular: because you're basically able to weave your own story based on your experiences. It's the genre in its purest form.

Japanese style RPGs excel at telling a story through the role-playing medium. Since the protagonist is predefined and the story a very linear path, traditionally, its strengths lie in pure story and character development. For all the tired tropes they use, story is still one of their strongest elements. Plus, they're a for more simpler sort of RPG on virtue of them often locking each character a specific role, thus eliminating the need to carefully craft a character's stats and whatnot.

You basically said it all for me. Saves me from typing it out. Thanks.
#27 Posted by Archangel3371 (15345 posts) -

• Mass Effect
  • Dragon Age
  • Elder Scrolls

• Demon's/Dark Souls
  • Dragon's Dogma

GeoffZak

I'd take Tales of Graces, White Knight Chronicles and Resonance of Fate any day over Mass Effect (Which isn't even an RPG, lol), Dragon Age and Elder Scrolls.

Action/RPG hybrid or whatever, whenever I make a list of my favourite WRPG's I still always feel comfortable enough to include the Mass Effect games.
#28 Posted by wiouds (5060 posts) -

[QUOTE="wiouds"]What do you think the strengths of WRPG and JRPG are?c_rake

I see WRPG as you making a character role for completed quests. Combat is the same as getting pass to gaurds that you can not kill. You can develople your character's out of combat skills. WRPG have some of the worse combat from any game type. They are mostly about precombat planning and weak battles. It is not a huge problem since it focus on other actions as well.In Skyrim I wn almost all my fights with holding the attack and then releasing it until the enemy is dead.

JRPG on the other hand is all about combat. In a good JRPG you will find a huge amount of rich enemies that does not all you to fall into a combat pattern. Fun and different combat but this also cause the field system to be boring with little to do.

You taken the weak combat system form a WRPG and the boring field of a JRPG and you get Dragon Dogma. Climbing on the enemies does not fix that.

JRPG are still created the ruch enemies to fight against.

WRPG on the other hands is leaving more and more Role playing game play out of the game, and replacing it with pretending to be the character.

I do enjoy WRPG and JRPG. I find they are very different. The reason I say that is because many time I try to point out weakeness in WRPG and I get a called a WRPG hater while they continue to point out the weakness of JRPG.

On a side note, I find FFXIII and ME2 share a weak point. That is the lack of what is most important in a RPG and that is player control character growth.

#29 Posted by c_rakestraw (14599 posts) -

I see WRPG as you making a character role for completed quests. Combat is the same as getting pass to gaurds that you can not kill. You can develople your character's out of combat skills. WRPG have some of the worse combat from any game type. They are mostly about precombat planning and weak battles. It is not a huge problem since it focus on other actions as well.In Skyrim I wn almost all my fights with holding the attack and then releasing it until the enemy is dead.

JRPG on the other hand is all about combat. In a good JRPG you will find a huge amount of rich enemies that does not all you to fall into a combat pattern. Fun and different combat but this also cause the field system to be boring with little to do.

You taken the weak combat system form a WRPG and the boring field of a JRPG and you get Dragon Dogma. Climbing on the enemies does not fix that.

wiouds

Totally with you on Skyrim's combat. That stuff is terrible. So static and boring. Ugh. Final Fantasy's active-time battle system is way better by comparison since they both move pretty quickly. Only difference is that you're moving through menus in the latter, but that's hardly a negative.

That's why I love Dark Souls so much. Its combat works in the active control and pace of something like Skyrim but then adds the strategy of a JRPG system. Every time I engage an enemy, I'm always having to consider a ton of different variables: the environment, the number of foes in the vicinity and whether drawing one will draw all of them or not, their movements and equipment, whether I can block their attacks without breaking my guard, etc. Usually all I have to think about is when to attack and when to dodge in any sort of action game, RPG or otherwise. It's the perfect blend of styles.

WRPG on the other hands is leaving more and more Role playing game play out of the game, and replacing it with pretending to be the character.

I do enjoy WRPG and JRPG. I find they are very different. The reason I say that is because many time I try to point out weakeness in WRPG and I get a called a WRPG hater while they continue to point out the weakness of JRPG.

On a side note, I find FFXIII and ME2 share a weak point. That is the lack of what is most important in a RPG and that is player control character growth.

wiouds

Blank slate characters are kind of what make WRPGs what they are, though. It's what allows you to project yourself onto them, which is how the role-playing aspect works. Not as easy to get into that part when you're working with a pre-existing character. You can maybe relate to them, sure -- but that's different.

I see it like this: In WRPGs, you play the role of a character of your making whose actions define every aspect of them. in JRPGs, you assume the role of a predetermined character whom you guide through the story of the game. The former tend to be more popular because it's more fun to be the character as opposed to simply control him.

Final Fantasy 13 had some level of control over character growth. The problem was that you just didn't get access to it until the end of the game.

#30 Posted by enz2 (1689 posts) -

With the popularity of WRPGs, I doubt it. Personally not a fan of WRPGs, but they're still great quality JRPGs coming out which is the main thing. Handhelds is probabaly the main interest for JRPGs for now, but I've been pretty happy so far with the JRPGs released on PS3. Nier, White Knight Chronicles, Eternal Sonata, Star Ocean, Final Fantasy... and another great title on its way... Ni no Kuni.

#31 Posted by josephl64 (4424 posts) -

I dislike Wrpgs and Shooters, but realistically speaking, I don't see Jrpgs rising to prominence in the West anymore...at least in the forseeable future. I hope I'm wrong about that though

#32 Posted by MadVybz (2797 posts) -

Given that JRPG devs have done nothing to make their games more accessible, and that they don't seem to even want to, I'd say no.

This only applies to consoles, though. JRPGs are still alive and well on hand-helds.

#33 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

Given that JRPG devs have done nothing to make their games more accessible, and that they don't seem to even want to, I'd say no.

This only applies to consoles, though. JRPGs are still alive and well on hand-helds.

MadVybz

What do you mean by more accessible? Just a little curious.

#34 Posted by MadVybz (2797 posts) -

What do you mean by more accessible? Just a little curious.

Lucky_Krystal

Accessible purely in a thematic sense. I think the main reason why WRPGs have left them in the dust is because they've simply done more to cater to the common player. Not only is there the cultrual boundary that prevents a lot of people from playing JRPGs, they're extremely linear as well, which a lot of RPG fans despise nowadays because they're not 'true' role-play experiences.

#35 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16672 posts) -

I think they're still rather strong, at least on handhelds. Although Xenoblade was easily the best console game of the generation. But handhelds are like havens for JRPGs, especially the DS. And while most are still rather traditional, there are unique ones, like Radiant Historia, which is easily one of the greatest games of the generation. However, some traditional ones are still great, like Dragon Quest IX. amazing game.

#36 Posted by wiouds (5060 posts) -

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

c_rake

Totally with you on Skyrim's combat. That stuff is terrible. So static and boring. Ugh. Final Fantasy's active-time battle system is way better by comparison since they both move pretty quickly. Only difference is that you're moving through menus in the latter, but that's hardly a negative.

That's why I love Dark Souls so much. Its combat works in the active control and pace of something like Skyrim but then adds the strategy of a JRPG system. Every time I engage an enemy, I'm always having to consider a ton of different variables: the environment, the number of foes in the vicinity and whether drawing one will draw all of them or not, their movements and equipment, whether I can block their attacks without breaking my guard, etc. Usually all I have to think about is when to attack and when to dodge in any sort of action game, RPG or otherwise. It's the perfect blend of styles.

wiouds

Blank slate characters are kind of what make WRPGs what they are, though. It's what allows you to project yourself onto them, which is how the role-playing aspect works. Not as easy to get into that part when you're working with a pre-existing character. You can maybe relate to them, sure -- but that's different.

I see it like this: In WRPGs, you play the role of a character of your making whose actions define every aspect of them. in JRPGs, you assume the role of a predetermined character whom you guide through the story of the game. The former tend to be more popular because it's more fun to be the character as opposed to simply control him.

Final Fantasy 13 had some level of control over character growth. The problem was that you just didn't get access to it until the end of the game.

In a RPG I consider it role playing is through the game play. Pretending is just outing out the character which can be done in many games. WRPG and JRPG are RPG with different focus.

I find it hard to feel anything for the "Blank Slate" characters of many WRPGs. They always less immerse in that world. You get a character that is a side character to the story and/or all the important decision the character make is already predetermined. In oblivion you are an errand boy that any warrior can do what you did. In Mass Effects the most important decision are premade like steal the Normandy to go the last planet, and is show Shepard most defining characteristic which is Shepard will do what he/she need to get the job done. I am getting tired of teh work around for the "Blank Slate" characters that WRPG need to do.

JRPG can still have great stories. I enjoy FFXIII storys theme of how people deal with suffering. This is the same theme as ME2, but the different is that FFXIII had its character react differently. Even the main villain in FFXIII was acting out on suffering.

#37 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

Outside of a few main series JRPGs have ways been kinda niche... but yeah they've kinda dropped in quality over the gen. Tales of Xillia looks amazing though and it looks to have a much better cast/story than Graces. Power of Friendship really? So disappointing

#38 Posted by jsmoke03 (12734 posts) -

there are a lot of jrpgs that are in this gen...its just on handhelds now

#39 Posted by Sali217 (1274 posts) -
There still are a lot of JRPGs, I don't know what people are talking about when they say they are lacking. They are all on the handheld systems.
#40 Posted by Krelian-co (10361 posts) -

i would like to but i doubt it, we are in a generation where people get bored if they have to read more than 2 consecutive lines.

#41 Posted by idunnodude (2281 posts) -

i see. i guess WRPGs have taken over. honestly i dont mind cuz i love the mass effect series and skyrim was great too. its just that i felt JRPGs did better when it came to telling stories and stuff.

everyone praises dark souls for kind of combining the two. i dont really see it since it barely had any story (i played demon's souls). i dont really get why its so praised just cuz its hard. other games can be hard too, the difference is they give you a choice with difficulty settings. if anything i think that deserves more praise since they give the gamer a choice.

#42 Posted by CRS98 (9036 posts) -
Japan's getting pretty much left in the dust this gen, and JRPGs don't really appeal to what people typically find in an RPG, especially when you're going up against Bethesda's style of openness and interactivity, and BioWare's ability to craft worlds and characters and excellent gameplay.
#43 Posted by Krelian-co (10361 posts) -

Japan's getting pretty much left in the dust this gen, and JRPGs don't really appeal to what people typically find in an RPG, especially when you're going up against Bethesda's style of openness and interactivity, and BioWare's ability to craft worlds and characters and excellent gameplay.CRS98

LOL:lol:

#44 Posted by CRS98 (9036 posts) -

[QUOTE="CRS98"]Japan's getting pretty much left in the dust this gen, and JRPGs don't really appeal to what people typically find in an RPG, especially when you're going up against Bethesda's style of openness and interactivity, and BioWare's ability to craft worlds and characters and excellent gameplay.Krelian-co

Are you laughing at me, or with me?
#45 Posted by c_rakestraw (14599 posts) -

everyone praises dark souls for kind of combining the two. i dont really see it since it barely had any story (i played demon's souls). i dont really get why its so praised just cuz its hard. other games can be hard too, the difference is they give you a choice with difficulty settings. if anything i think that deserves more praise since they give the gamer a choice.idunnodude

There is a story in Dark Souls. They just like to hide it. There's a whole story synopsis and lore series on YouTube; watch it and you'll see just how rich its world is.

It's not just because they're hard that they're praised. It's how they use challenge to make you constantly aware of your surroundings. How often do you consider the lay of the land when fighting something games? Your position, the enemy's position, the weight of their swings versus yours, etc? Never, right? Dark Souls forces you to be aware because the environment is as much of an enemy as the monsters.

#46 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

The market isn't incapable of supporting both WRPGs and JRPGs. It's ridiculous that people keep saying WRPGs have "replaced" JRPGs. Both have become shadows of their past.

WRPGs moved to consoles and JRPGs moved to handhelds because that's where their respective devs can make the most money.

The 3DS in Japan has already outsold the lifetime sales of the PS3 (also in Japan).

#47 Posted by Krelian-co (10361 posts) -

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

[QUOTE="CRS98"]Japan's getting pretty much left in the dust this gen, and JRPGs don't really appeal to what people typically find in an RPG, especially when you're going up against Bethesda's style of openness and interactivity, and BioWare's ability to craft worlds and characters and excellent gameplay.CRS98

at you.

Bethesda's games although good are a buggy mess and hardly offer anything good in terms of story or characters.

And Bioware, well although they do good characters and decent stories they ruin their games with bad design choises. I personally think jrpgs were way ahead of them in both aspects in the ps and ps2 eras, nothing bioware has done has yet to come close to the stories or characters jrps offered back then. The problem with jrps were the lack of decision and choise making but this way they could deliver a more directed and better story.

#48 Posted by Legolas_Katarn (15592 posts) -

Anything SMT or SMT spinoff related, Tales of games, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Radiant Historia, Lost Odyssey are about the only good ones I can think of from recent years. I can't see them being as popular again as they were in the PS2 days.

im talking more mature type of ones like FFX

I don't think I can take you seriously after that.

And then there are bad ones like......oh god.....Record of Agarest War Zero.......OH GOD.......

Record of Agarest War 2 is even worse.

Bethesda's games although good are a buggy mess and hardly offer anything good in terms of story or characters.

Well, he did say Bethesda for their open worlds, he didn't praise them for anything else in his post.

#49 Posted by CRS98 (9036 posts) -

[QUOTE="CRS98"][QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

Krelian-co

at you.

And Bioware, well although they do good characters and decent stories they ruin their games with bad design choises. I personally think jrpgs were way ahead of them in both aspects in the ps and ps2 eras, nothing bioware has done has yet to come close to the stories or characters jrps offered back then. The problem with jrps were the lack of decision and choise making but this way they could deliver a more directed and better story.

Never mentioned how good Bethesda's stories were, just that you can murder almost anyone you don't like, and then pose their ragdolls in humiliating ways. And Baldur's Gate has nothing on JRPGs? Riiiiiiight.
#50 Posted by mikeyMKII (754 posts) -

The Souls' games say hi.