X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse vs. X-Men 2: The Clone Wars, Which is the Better Game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse for Super Nintendo by Capcom vs. X-Men 2: The Clone Wars for Sega Genesis by Sega. Which is the better X-Men game?

X-Men Mutant Apocalypse Cover

X-Men Mutant Apocalypse Screenshot

VS.

X-Men 2 The Clone Wars Cover

X-Men 2 The Clone Wars Screenshot

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Wow I don't even remember which is which or what is what. A lot of those super hero games blend together for me. I think I have both of them, though. The best super hero game has the line, "thank you....wonderman." I do remember Genesis having some sweet xmen games. I'm gonna see if I have it.

EDIT: I don't have the genesis game, but I'm sure I played it and it must be better than the snes one because the snes one sucks.

email2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 email2003
Member since 2004 • 3529 Posts
I have played both but I only managed to beat Clone Wars. Clone Wars is a hard game to beat. I voted Clone Wars only because you can play as Beast, Magneto.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Emerald_Warrior

Wow I don't even remember which is which or what is what. A lot of those super hero games blend together for me. I think I have both of them, though. The best super hero game has the line, "thank you....wonderman." I do remember Genesis having some sweet xmen games. I'm gonna see if I have it.

EDIT: I don't have the genesis game, but I'm sure I played it and it must be better than the snes one because the snes one sucks.

Heirren

The SNES one sucks? Are you sure you aren't thinking of Uncanny X-Men for NES? Because that one really, really sucked. The SNES one was very good, IMO.

Uncanny X-Men NES Cover

Uncanny X-Men NES Screenshot

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Mutant Apocalypse easily, for me. Love it and it's semi-sequel Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems more than most superhero/comic book games..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Emerald_Warrior

The SNES one sucks? Are you sure you aren't thinking of Uncanny X-Men for NES? Because that one really, really sucked. The SNES one was very good, IMO.

Uncanny X-Men NES Cover

I'm thking snes with ONE ATTACK BUTTON. A rather shallow game, imo. Very poor level design.

Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Eikichi-Onizuka

I'm thking snes with ONE ATTACK BUTTON. A rather shallow game, imo. Very poor level design.

Heirren

I believe you're thinking of Spider-man and the X-Men.

icedout06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 icedout06
Member since 2003 • 305 Posts
nostalga reasons i prefer clone wars but they both good games
fadeetoblackk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 fadeetoblackk
Member since 2011 • 459 Posts
I LOVE Mutant Apocalypse, I have not tried the genesis one though, are they similar?
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
I've only played a bit of Mutant Apocalypse but from what I did play, I still prefer Clone Wars.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

Uncanny X-Men NES Cover

You've got to be thinking of another game then. The move-sets of Mutant Apocalypse was the best part of the game. They integrated fighting-game type moves into the game giving each mutant a unique arsenal of moves and mutant powers to use.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Emerald_Warrior

I LOVE Mutant Apocalypse, I have not tried the genesis one though, are they similar?fadeetoblackk

Pretty similar. Both are 2D side-scrolling beat-em ups that actually follow the comics & characters, both had impressive graphics for the time, both had popular Mutants to choose from to play as, both were considered a bit challenging, and both have very crisp & responsive controls. Both were released in the mid-90s, as well.

fadeetoblackk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 fadeetoblackk
Member since 2011 • 459 Posts
well i love the super nintedo one. great controls, I love playing as gambit. All of it was just so great for its time. Still go back to it now and then
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
I have played both but I only managed to beat Clone Wars. Clone Wars is a hard game to beat. I voted Clone Wars only because you can play as Beast, Magneto.email2003
Agreed. Then again I am a bit biased towards my beloved Genesis.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

You've got to be thinking of another game then. The move-sets of Mutant Apocalypse was the best part of the game. They integrated fighting-game type moves into the game giving each mutant a unique arsenal of moves and mutant powers to use.

Emerald_Warrior

Na, I went and played it. The game feels rushed, at least imo.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Emerald_Warrior

Heirren

What do you mean "na"? YEAH. Each mutant character does have an arsenal of moves unique to each character. If you didn't when you played, then you're not doing it right.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Emerald_Warrior

What do you mean "na"? YEAH. Each mutant character does have an arsenal of moves unique to each character. If you didn't when you played, then you're not doing it right.

I understand that, but it's still clunky. The game is garbagr, sorry.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

You brought up having one attack to begin with (which wasn't right), that's what I was referring to. But in reference to what you're saying now...

I can understand not liking beat-em up games. And I can understand not liking the X-Men or comic book-related games at all. But saying it was "rushed" or "clunky" isn't doing the game any justice. Like I said, you've got to be playing a different game. Because X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse was a VERY polished game for SNES and was released by top rate company, Capcom. The controls were smooth as butter, the graphics were very pretty for SNES, and everything worked like it was supposed to. It was even a cut above most of the other beat-em ups at the time because it added that fighting-game type movesets for the characters which were unique to each, breathing new-life into an already old at-the-time genre.

Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Eikichi-Onizuka

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Emerald_Warrior

You brought up having one attack to begin with (which wasn't right), that's what I was referring to. But in reference to what you're saying now...

I can understand not liking beat-em up games. And I can understand not liking the X-Men or comic book-related games at all. But saying it was "rushed" or "clunky" isn't doing the game any justice. Like I said, you've got to be playing a different game. Because X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse was a VERY polished game for SNES and was released by top rate company, Capcom. The controls were smooth as butter, the graphics were very pretty for SNES, and everything worked like it was supposed to. It was even a cut above most of the other beat-em ups at the time because it added that fighting-game type movesets for the characters which were unique to each, breathing new-life into an already old at-the-time genre.

I'll just assume he means Spider-man and the X-Men. :P
crystos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 crystos
Member since 2003 • 1040 Posts
clone wars was better...the music and magento puts it over the top. plus the stages had a bit more "grit" to it...
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

played both, both are great games but I have some problems with both of them

X-men: Mutant Apocalypse looks and sounds better then Clone Wars, but the combat is kinda basic when compared to Final Fight or Streets of Rage, but worst of all, having to memorize moves for your characters is pretty lame in a beat'em up

the game is also insanely difficult and cheap, but at least, the level design tried to take advantage of each of the X-men's individual abilities

Clone wars is still a good looking and decent sounding game for Genesis standards, but not as good as Mutant Apocalypse in that regard, I have two major gripes with the game though, first of all the level design does NOT take advantage of any of the mutant's abilities, wall jumping and wall scaling is never necessary and only rarely did I find it useful

worst of all is the fact that the characters are not balanced, Wolverine is without a doubt very OP with his healing abilities

I also found the game to be very hard and extremely cheap

both are good games, overall I'd say Clone wars is slightly better, but it gets a bit too much praise I think

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Clone Wars for me, but I like the first one the best because that's what I played the most growing up. Clone Wars does let you play as Magneto though, so it gets big points there.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rilpas

Clone Wars for me, but I like the first one the best because that's what I played the most growing up. Clone Wars does let you play as Magneto though, so it gets big points there.

Renegade_Fury

yeah but it's really stupid that you can't fly as magneto, he was bad ass when you fight him as a boss but when you actually get to play him all of his powers are gone

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

rilpas

yeah but it's really stupid that you can't fly as magneto, he was bad ass when you fight him as a boss but when you actually get to play him all of his powers are gone

You can fly as Magneto. But you just hover in the air, in place. Unfortunately you can't fly around the room like he does when you actually battle him (right before gaining him as a team-member). Still, you've got admit, playing as the mighty Magneto is pretty awesome, regardless.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

Emerald_Warrior

You can fly as Magneto. But you just hover in the air, in place. Unfortunately you can't fly around the room like he does when you actually battle him (right before gaining him as a team-member). Still, you've got admit, playing as the mighty Magneto is pretty awesome, regardless.

I mean fly, not hover :P

and really, his hover technique is pretty useless :P

unknown37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 unknown37
Member since 2006 • 5135 Posts

I haven't played Mutant Apocalypse, but X-men 2 is considerably better than my other 16-bit super-hero games (GEN X-Men, Spider-man/Kingpin, Batman Forever, Spider-man/X-men arcade's revenge, and Spider-man/venom Maximum Carnage)

My only real gripe with the game is that it instantly throws you in the game the moment you turn it on. What kind of game doesn't have a menu?! :P

mordekai18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 mordekai18
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I'm bias so I'm a go with Clone wars! Iv'e seen videos of Mutant Apocalypes it looks ok, Definitely better graphics then clone wars! but Clone wars is just soo much more fun to play...one of my favorite genesis games

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
How about X-Men 1 on the Genesis.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rilpas
How about X-Men 1 on the Genesis. Swanogt19
meh game. meh graphics, bad sound, the use of powers is very limited, boss battles are not what I would call epic but at least the levels were more in tune with each character's abilities (specially night crawler)
Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
Personally I enjoyed X-Men 1.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Swanogt19"]How about X-Men 1 on the Genesis. rilpas
meh game. meh graphics, bad sound, the use of powers is very limited, boss battles are not what I would call epic but at least the levels were more in tune with each character's abilities (specially night crawler)

Pretty much this. It was a good game in comparison to pretty much all the Marvel Comics games before it, because most of them sucked (Uncanny X-Men, Silver Surfer, Spider-Man: Sinister Six, etc.). But in comparison to all the ones after it, and other Genesis action games out at the time, it's pretty mediocre and only palatable really because of the license and the MANY character appearance.

SonOfChewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SonOfChewbacca
Member since 2004 • 653 Posts

Never played Mutant Apocalypse, but I remember Clone Wars with its characters having their own strengths and weaknesses. Really awesome game, and it was a blast to play as Nightcrawler. Also, Wolverine had regenerating health!

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
X-Men 2 was actually an entertaining platformer. Apocalypse seemed like a generic beat em up.