Xbox or Gamecube?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by Tlgersuperman (87 posts) 11 months, 5 days ago

Poll: Xbox or Gamecube? (25 votes)

Xbox 44%
Gamecube 56%

The Xbox and the Gamecube were turning points for both companies who made them, and would also determine their fate in the gaming and entertainment industry.

For Nintendo, they were moving from their growing bad reputation outside of their targeted audience by treating people nicer, and trying to gain support with friendly business practices. Pushing for the type of gamers that they had usually been avoiding, and changing their whole outlook. However, the lack of impact of this system had them fall on their back and stop going in this direction. So it was a rare time. It was like for about 5 years, there was a different company that took the brand name for awhile. When you look back it's quite strange how different everything was for the company before and after this console.

For Microsoft, the Xbox was pushing away from the PC monitor and going abroad, as well as shifting focus to going into hardware along with their software business. The unexpected market penetration of the system basically showed Microsoft that they had something on their hands and went through with it. Although they did lose tons of money in the process, they also had a lot of revenue from hardware and software they were not expecting, and would decide to take the risk again. Although they really only focused on the home turf the first time, so they could only go in so far.

The lengths these companies went to bring us some well remembered systems and games were tops.

Which do you think is better? Below are some of the top games voted on a random forum out of 3,000 or so people in abc order. With me lazily not typing in the full name for some of them :)

Xbox Games:

1. Halo
  2. Halo 2
  3. Project Gotham Racing
  4. Project Gotham Racing 2
  5. Fable
  6. Fable:Lost chapters
  7. Morrowind
  8. Forza Motorsport
  9. Amped
  10. Amped 2
  11. Fuzion Frenzy
  12. Blinx
  13. Blinx 2
  14. Blood Wake
  15. Breakdown
  16. BruteForce
  17. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  18. Carve
  19. Conker Live and Reloaded
  20. Crimson Sea
  21. Crimson Skies
  22. Dead or Alive 3
  23. Dead or Alive Ultimate
  24. Dino Crisis 3
  25. Dungeons and Dragons Heroes
  26. Far Cry Instincts
  27. Far Cry instincts Revolution
  28. GunGriffon
  29. GunValkyrie
  30. Hunter: The reckoning
  31. Jet Set Radio Future
  32. Kingdom Under Fire Heroes
  33. Kingdom Under Fire Crusaders
  34. Links 2004
  35. Loons: the fight for fame
  36. Mech Assault
  37. Mech Assault 2
  38. Midtown Madness
  39. All the NBA inside Drive games
  40. All the NFL Fever games
  41. Night Caster
  42. Night Caster 2
  43. Ninja Gaiden
  44. Ninja Gaiden Black
  45. Otogi
  46. Otogi 2
  47. Panzer Dragoon Orta
  48. Phantom Crash
  49. Phantom Dust
  50. Sega GT 2002
  51. Serious Sam
  52. Silent Scope Complete
  53. Spikeout
  54. Steel Battalion
  55. Steel Battalion 2
  56. Toe Jam and Earl 3
  57. Tom Clancy Trilogy Collection
  58. Tony Hawk 2X
  59. Toxic Grind
  60. UFC Tapout
  61. UFC Tapout 2
  62. Unreal Championship
  63. Unreal Championship 2
  64. Voodoo Vince
  65. Whacked!
  66. Xyanide

Gamecube Games:

1. 1080 Degress Avalanch
  2. Baiten Kaitos
  3. Baiten Kaitos 2
  4. Battalion Wars
  5. Bomberman Generation
  6. Custom Robo
  7. Eternal Darkness
  8. F-zero GX
  9. Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles
  10. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
  11. Geist
  12. Kirby airride
  13. Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
  14. Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
  15. Lost Kingdoms
  16. Lost Kingdoms II
  17. Luigis Mansion
  18. Mario Kart: Double Dash
  19. Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes
  20. Metroid Prime
  21. Metroid Prime 2
  22. NBA Courtside 2002
  23. Odama
  24. Paper Mario 2
  25. Pokemon Colosseum
  26. Pokemon XD
  27. Resident Evil
  28. Resident Evil Zero
  29. Star Fox Adventures
  30. Star Fox Assault
  31. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II
  32. Star Wars Rouge Squadron III
  33. Super Mario Strikers
  34. Super Mario Sunshine
  35. Super Smash Bros. Melee
  36. Wario World
  37. Wave Race Blue Storm
  38. WWE Day of Reckoning 2

While I will have to say that there are certain games missing from each list, I will say that all these game line-ups are quite amazing. But of course I can't let you guys pick both. AHAHAHAHHA.

#1 Edited by crazyguy111 (265 posts) -

About the same for me. I liked ps2 the best at the time.

#2 Posted by huerito323 (1378 posts) -

Xbox by far. I prefer Xbox than the highly praised PS2, which I loved as well. Games like Morrowind, KOTOR, Halo..etc, plus Xbox Live. It was the true next gen experience that set the bar for the services we have today.

#3 Posted by Randolph (10542 posts) -

The OG Xbox was fantastic. Had a great sometimes under appreciated lineup. Glad you listed Voodoo Vince, because that one is really high up there for me. Good memories of Panzer Dragoon Orta and JSRF too.

#4 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (631 posts) -

for me, it's easily the xbox. i'll choose it over the cube and ps2 all day every day.

as well, the 360 over all others.

#5 Posted by Planeforger (15846 posts) -

As a PC gamer, I didn't see the point of the Xbox. It was a weak PC with a handful of decent exclusives - and worse still, it resulted in a bunch of PC franchises being simplified and dumbed down to work on Xbox hardware.

So yeah, easily the Gamecube for me. It had one of the best exclusive libraries of the last few generations, brilliant couch co-op, and simply the best controller I've used played with.

#6 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (6422 posts) -

@huerito323 said:

Xbox by far. I prefer Xbox than the highly praised PS2, which I loved as well. Games like Morrowind, KOTOR, Halo..etc, plus Xbox Live. It was the true next gen experience that set the bar for the services we have today.

Yeah I agree. Although I enjoyed all 3 console from that gen, Xbox was probably my favourite overall.

#7 Posted by nicecall (428 posts) -

i had a gamecube, but probably only played it a couple times, i hated its controller and didnt like any of the games on it. Xbox i put the most time on, and a fair bit on the ps2, but mostly xbox cause it was superior.

#8 Posted by yokofox33 (30041 posts) -

Gamecube. While I enjoyed the Halo games immensely, the Gamecube had a wider array of games that I enjoyed. Tales of Symphonia, Smash Bros, Mario Golf, etc...

#9 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

I enjoyed the Xbox more at the time, but I think most of the Gamecube library holds up better today. Games like Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Viewtiful Joe, they still look great. But a lot of the original Xbox games look a bit crummy by today's standards. I think Halo holds up, but look at games like Brute Force or Black or the original Xbox version of Fable, they just look kinda bad now even though at the time they were pretty cutting edge (at least for consoles).

#10 Posted by Archangel3371 (15837 posts) -

While I love Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Resident Evil for overall games the Xbox was my favourite. Halo 1 & 2, Ninja Gaiden, Guilty Gear, Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Otogi 2, Dead or Alive were some kick-ass games plus it had online and an HDD.

#11 Posted by CountBleck12 (23167 posts) -

Gamecube, I thought the games were more fun. I never owned an Xbox but I have played a few games on them, still prefer the GC.

#12 Posted by sukraj (23224 posts) -

Xbox for me

#13 Posted by dbtbandit67 (353 posts) -

Nice thread. For me, I am going with the Xbox. It was the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast. Microsoft may have never pursued a home console, at least at the time that it did, had it not been for the Dreamcast and it's fall. Dreamcast had Windows CE as its OS which gave Microsoft the idea to install a Windows kernel on a home console.

It was also its spiritual successor in other ways, such as its aggressive push to popularize online gaming in a home console. Xbox Live would not catch on until the 360, but it was with the original Xbox that it built a solid foundation, debut, learned from its mistakes, and would continue to build upon its foundation that would help make it so popular on the 360. And then, there are direct Sega-Xbox correlations as many Sega games would be published on Xbox.

The GameCube is a console that actually gets better overtime, cause at the time it was a real POS and I hated it. The miniature cube shape was such a gimmick, and it had a very distinct personality. You can call it gaming-centric yes, kid-friendly maybe, but it sure as hell wasn't as hardcore and adult as the Dreamcast and Xbox. And there was no online, at all.

But overtime and looking back on it in retrospect, it had a lot of solid games, and a game just being on the GameCube, the GameCube's personality rubbed off on it, like with Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. As a vintage console, it actually is one of the better systems I own. And even though the graphics are dated by now, there is a sort of distinct lush art style look to its games, like with Metroi Prime.

But ultimately my vote goes to the original Xbox, one of my favorite consoles of all time. An exclusive;y hardcore gamer's machine, unlike 360 which really was the PS2 of its generation.

#14 Posted by special-ops (122 posts) -

GameCube is much better than Xbox Because GameCube has better games.

#15 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8456 posts) -

Both were good, but NGB and Riddick were tied for my GOTG, so xbox pulls ahead for me.

#16 Posted by Tlgersuperman (87 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

I enjoyed the Xbox more at the time, but I think most of the Gamecube library holds up better today. Games like Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Viewtiful Joe, they still look great. But a lot of the original Xbox games look a bit crummy by today's standards. I think Halo holds up, but look at games like Brute Force or Black or the original Xbox version of Fable, they just look kinda bad now even though at the time they were pretty cutting edge (at least for consoles).

Brute Force may not be the best example, but BLACK is a PS2 port so it will look bad regardless. It was a solid game though. Not to shabby.

@dbtbandit67 said:

Nice thread. For me, I am going with the Xbox. It was the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast. Microsoft may have never pursued a home console, at least at the time that it did, had it not been for the Dreamcast and it's fall. Dreamcast had Windows CE as its OS which gave Microsoft the idea to install a Windows kernel on a home console.

It was also its spiritual successor in other ways, such as its aggressive push to popularize online gaming in a home console. Xbox Live would not catch on until the 360, but it was with the original Xbox that it built a solid foundation, debut, learned from its mistakes, and would continue to build upon its foundation that would help make it so popular on the 360. And then, there are direct Sega-Xbox correlations as many Sega games would be published on Xbox.

The GameCube is a console that actually gets better overtime, cause at the time it was a real POS and I hated it. The miniature cube shape was such a gimmick, and it had a very distinct personality. You can call it gaming-centric yes, kid-friendly maybe, but it sure as hell wasn't as hardcore and adult as the Dreamcast and Xbox. And there was no online, at all.

But overtime and looking back on it in retrospect, it had a lot of solid games, and a game just being on the GameCube, the GameCube's personality rubbed off on it, like with Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. As a vintage console, it actually is one of the better systems I own. And even though the graphics are dated by now, there is a sort of distinct lush art style look to its games, like with Metroi Prime.

But ultimately my vote goes to the original Xbox, one of my favorite consoles of all time. An exclusive;y hardcore gamer's machine, unlike 360 which really was the PS2 of its generation.

The XBox was already greenlite before the Dreamcast even came out. I understand why some would think of it as a spritual sucessor, but people usually make the facts to make the Dreamcast look better and more influential then it actually was. There was also push for online gaming before both as well.

Also I am pretty sure your correlations claims also applies to Sega-gamecube, and while not much used it, yes the Gamecube did have online.

#17 Posted by EPICCOMMANDER (660 posts) -

I'm a "gameplay and controls come first" kind of player, so I don't care for sh*t what the graphics of a game look like. For me, it's all about the games...

Even with KOTOR, KOTOR 2, Halo, and Halo 2 for the Xbox, my vote is for the gamecube with Pikmin, Pikmin 2, Paper Mario, Wind Waker, the Ocarina of Time HD port, TWP, RE Zero, the Resident Evil 1 remake, and the greatest game I've ever played in Resident Evil 4, that have me voting for the gamecube, hands down.

#18 Edited by bowchicka07 (1075 posts) -

Xbox all the way. KOTOR, Morrowind, Halo, Halo 2, and Ninja Gaiden were top notch.

#19 Edited by GuitarSmash (208 posts) -

Gamecube. Animal Crossing. Nuff Said.

#20 Posted by Yoshi9000 (397 posts) -

Gamecube for sure. Nothing beats animal crossing, pikmin, double dash, smash bros, twilight princess, rouge leader, pokemon colosseum, Mario sunshine, the list goes on and on. Looking back, there are still lots of gamecube games I would have wished to play, like tales of symphonia, Killer 7, Metroid prime, and eternal darkness.

#21 Posted by lebanese_boy (14081 posts) -

I had a GameCube back then and oh boy did I enjoy playing on that thing. My vote goes to the GC any day.

#22 Edited by KingsofQueens (2217 posts) -

For me, in generation 6, I enjoyed the XBOX a lot more, with GameCube following a close second.

Both XBOX/GC were really my most played consoles at the time, (and still play them to this day), while my PS2 collected dust, which wasn't that great of a system. PS2 really catered for the JRPG gamers, a genre I'm not into.

#23 Edited by starwolf474 (736 posts) -

This was the very first generation where a Nintendo console wasn't my favorite. Though it had a few really great gems like Super Monkey Ball, Super Smash Bros Melee, and Resident Evil 4, overall, the GameCube was a disappointment to me. Nearly every one of my favorite Nintendo franchises had their all time worst series entry on the GameCube and that made me regard the console as a disappointment.

The Xbox ended up being my favorite console that generation. I loved that it had a hard drive, I loved the size of the Xbox controller since I have very large hands and the other consoles had controllers designed for people with small hands, I loved how it pushed online gaming harder and better than the competitors, I loved how it brought to consoles many great western developed games that previously would only release on PC, and it almost always had the best version of multiplat games.

The PlayStation 2 was my least favorite console of that generation. I hated the controller and it was the least powerful, so I never bought any multiplat games on my PS2. And since I'm not a fan of Japanese RPGs, the PS2's exclusive library was not very appealing to me either.

I think that the Dreamcast had the potential to be my favorite console of that generation if it would have survived longer. That console did a lot of great things and had a lot of great games in the short 2 years that it was around.