Xbox One will get EA Subscription program

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

No word yet on other platforms. Way to take sides here EA...

Update:

PlayStation owners won’t be getting the EA Access system, something Sony attributes to the lack of value the service offers.

Speaking to Game Informer, a spokesperson for Sony noted that the PlayStation Plus system already provided substantial quality given its price.

PlayStation Plus memberships are up more than 200% since the launch of PlayStation 4, which shows that gamers are looking for memberships that offer a multitude of services, across various devices, for one low price.

As such, Sony didn’t believe that offering another service would be appealing for PlayStation owners, they said.

“We don’t think asking our fans to pay an additional $5 a month for this EA-specific program represents good value to the PlayStation gamer.”

Link

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Not the worst idea of all time, the price is pretty fair if you ask me. Though, I'm not totally interested because most of EA's currently in-development IPs don't interest me. (Aside for a few of course)

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#3 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@behardy24 said:

Not the worst idea of all time, the price is pretty fair if you ask me. Though, I'm not totally interested because most of EA's currently in-development IPs don't interest me. (Aside for a few of course)

EA might continue they partnership with Ubisoft so you will have a few of their biggest titles on the service.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

I can't imagine this not being on the PS4 as well. Seems like it's really about targeting used game sales as the bigger titles likely won't hit the vault until well after release when the bargain hunters are looking to grab them cheap.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@Ish_basic said:

I can't imagine this not being on the PS4 as well. Seems like it's really about targeting used game sales as the bigger titles likely won't hit the vault until well after release when the bargain hunters are looking to grab them cheap.

Companies need to start doing something to combat used games sales. Maybe others will follow suit.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The_Last_Ride

Sony has responded, the OP has been updated

Gamefan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gamefan1986
Member since 2005 • 1325 Posts

@firefox59: If they want to combat used game sales, then they could lower the starting price of games...or at the very least drop the prices on games faster.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

"Will give you access to mostof the EA games"

Please specify.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_Last_Ride

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Please specify.

It means no new games

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

it's an interesting twist with Sony. I don't really know why they would feel denying playstation users the choice of whether or not to subscribe is better for ps users than not having a choice at all. I'm wondering if this has more to do with how a service like this affects Sony's ability to collect licensing fees on EA games...which are what, $7-10 per game?

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

@firefox59 said:

@Ish_basic said:

Companies need to start doing something to combat used games sales. Maybe others will follow suit.

Yeah, it's called making better games that are worth the new game price they're asking. Anything else wont work. You can't deny that there's a ton of shitty games out there trying to screw customers over with a $60 price tag.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Black_Knight_00

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Please specify.

It means no new games

Wait, is that a joke or does it really mean you get old EA games you can buy for $3 at a flea market but not the new ones that are coming out?

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zen_Light

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Please specify.

It means no new games

Wait, is that a joke or does it really mean you get old EA games you can buy for $3 at a flea market but not the new ones that are coming out?

Dunno about you guys, but I'm chomping at the bit to pay a monthly subscription to play stellar games like Madden 2001 and Fifa 1998.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Ish_basic said:

it's an interesting twist with Sony. I don't really know why they would feel denying playstation users the choice of whether or not to subscribe is better for ps users than not having a choice at all. I'm wondering if this has more to do with how a service like this affects Sony's ability to collect licensing fees on EA games...which are what, $7-10 per game?

Its all about cost and income and also probably that EA´s service would compete with Sony´s own services or planned services so im not that surprised that Sony said no.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@Black_Knight_00:

It wasn't and fyi better deal than SONY lol $5 for 4 hrs was it?

Just read comments, but basically for $30 a year you get access to their complete library of games no strings attached. As for new games, you'll have access to betas or alphas and test/ purchase the game 5 days before release. SONY declined simply because EA access eats into SONY's licensing and distribution fees. SONY notorious for nickle n dimming developers and being paranoid control freaks with regards to digital transactions. SONY wants to monopolize the PSN Store. Microsoft is a billion dollar company and already owns 50% of the US online market share. Accepting EA access just strengthens their current position. Plus, I bet you that the terms were different for both SONY and Microsoft.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 The_Last_Ride

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Please specify.

It means no new games

No, that's not a joke, it's only old games

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Please specify.

It means no new games

Wow. Pretty much every EA game from 2011 and before is $1 to $5 and 2012-2013 are like $10. Why rent them when you can buy the whole lot for less than twice the amount of a yearly subscription?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The_Last_Ride

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Please specify.

It means no new games

Wow. Pretty much every EA game from 2011 and before is $1 to $5 and 2012-2013 are like $10. Why rent them when you can buy the whole lot for less than twice the amount of a yearly subscription?

Exactly, that's why Sony refused it. Also you get 10% off from new games and 5 day early access. But it only pays off if you plan to buy more than 5 new games from EA in a year

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 firefox59

@Zen_Light said:

@firefox59 said:

@Ish_basic said:

Yeah, it's called making better games that are worth the new game price they're asking. Anything else wont work. You can't deny that there's a ton of shitty games out there trying to screw customers over with a $60 price tag.

Oh look, this argument again. Players are trading in games no matter how much they enjoy them, it's been proven. It's also been proven that many gamers will buy used just to save 5 bucks. ($55 vs. $60) This at times can effectively cut new game sales in half. It has nothing to do with the quality of games. Many gamers also sell a game back early for the money planning to buy it again, but then they never do. This increases the amount of used games for players that never bought new to purchase.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Exactly, that's why Sony refused it. Also you get 10% off from new games and 5 day early access. But it only pays off if you plan to buy more than 5 new games from EA in a year

My guess is they want to capitalize on the Steam sales factor: basically the idea that people will pay just to have a huge choice of games, but never actually download and play them. I mean, come on: if a guy hasn't picked up a $2 copy of Army of Two by now, it's because he doesn't care to play it.

Oh and by the way, 90% of those games will be single player only, since exception made for Battlefield, EA shuts down servers 3 years from release.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 firefox59

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Battlefield 4, Peggle 2 and both sports games both came out in the last year (with more games to come they claim). $2.50 a month isn't a bad deal. Sony didn't do this for a potential multitude of reasons. One being they don't want it competing with PS Now, which has been rumored to be $5 for a short amount of rental time let alone a month. Sony should give the consumer the option. This might actually eliminate the possibility of EA games being available for the PS+ releases.

Also, "Playstation Plus members are up 200% since the launch of the PS4." Lmao, yeah cause you need it to play games online now. That means nothing and Sony knows that. To use it as justification for this decision is bull. Sony just didn't want to do it.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zen_Light

@firefox59 said:

@Zen_Light said:

@firefox59 said:

@Ish_basic said:

Oh look, this argument again. Players are trading in games no matter how much they enjoy them, it's been proven. It's also been proven that many gamers will buy used just to save 5 bucks. ($55 vs. $60) This at times can effectively cut new game sales in half. It has nothing to do with the quality of games. Many gamers also sell a game back early for the money planning to buy it again, but then they never do. This increases the amount of used games for players that never bought new to purchase.

Oh look, this argument again. Pretending GS trade-ins are 100% of all used game sales. Sorry to break this news to you, but poor game sales are not due to the used market. It's due to poor value and over-pricing.

Unless you're a business rep or have a vested interest in the financial aspect of gaming I can't understand why consumers take up for heartless corporations that don't give a single damn about you--all they care about is your cash. Why defend them?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

Seems like a pretty good deal. Trying games out early, getting discounts on various games and dlc, and having access to play a variety of games is pretty enticing for $30 a year. I think I'll be subscribing to this service myself.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 firefox59

@Zen_Light said:

@firefox59 said:

@Zen_Light said:

Oh look, this argument again. Pretending GS trade-ins are 100% of all used game sales. Sorry to break this news to you, but poor game sales are not due to the used market. It's due to poor value and over-pricing.

Unless you're a business rep or have a vested interest in the financial aspect of gaming I can't understand why consumers take up for heartless corporations that don't give a single damn about you--all they care about is your cash. Why defend them?

Who brought up Gamestop? You did. You're ignorant for thinking it's only Gamestop. There are a bunch of companies dealing in used games. THAT is the problem. It's not just one. Games sales are negatively affected by used games. That is a fact. Also over-priced games? Games are cheaper now relative to the dollar than they've ever been. Nice try. Just another gamer who doesn't know what's going on.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zen_Light

@firefox59 said:

@Zen_Light said:

@firefox59 said:

@Zen_Light said:

Who brought up Gamestop? You did. You're ignorant for thinking it's only Gamestop. There are a bunch of companies dealing in used games. THAT is the problem. It's not just one. Games sales are negatively affected by used games. That is a fact. Also over-priced games? Games are cheaper now relative to the dollar than they've ever been. Nice try. Just another gamer who doesn't know what's going on.

You're the one who is ignorant if you believe most used game sales are only $5 cheaper than new games, and if you believe used game sales are the reason new games sell so much less.

I see you still haven't answered why you defend new game prices and the companies who sell them. I guess there's no point in asking you how many new games per year you buy.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 firefox59

@Zen_Light said:

@firefox59 said:

You're the one who is ignorant if you believe most used game sales are only $5 cheaper than new games, and if you believe used game sales are the reason new games sell so much less.

I see you still haven't answered why you defend new game prices and the companies who sell them. I guess there's no point in asking you how many new games per year you buy.

Maybe try reading my whole post next time? Games are cheaper now than they have ever been. Why the hell would companies lower the price of new games? Especially when pre-orders are higher than ever. It doesn't make sense. You think I would preach buying new games and then not do it? Lol, why. I've bought one used game in my entire life and that's because it was really old and incredibly expensive new. Besides, the number of games one purchases has nothing to do with buying new or used.

CrossFire245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By CrossFire245
Member since 2007 • 1085 Posts

Has there been any word yet on when this will be released to the public? I know it's in a beta now, but I figure it must release at least 5 days before the next Madden (which comes out August 26th).

Tigarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 Tigarian
Member since 2005 • 215 Posts

PlayStation Plus memberships are up more than 200% since the launch of PlayStation 4

Is this surprising considering it was basically forced on anyone who wants to do anything online with the PS4?