Xbox One Leads Black Friday Console Sales?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

This just popped up on mu pulse my app....If this in fact is true, than perhaps the $100 price difference is not that big of impact as many thought it would be...

http://segmentnext.com/2013/12/01/xbox-one-dominates-black-friday-sales/

#2 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

I guess maybe those analysts who predicted that Microsoft would have a better production pipeline and therefore less out of stock product might have been correct.

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't seen that anywhere else. :)

EDIT: Interesting that the article only mentions Wal Mart and Target. I'd be interested to know what the numbers were for Best Buy and GameStop.

#3 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

I would also be interested in seeing the figures for Best Buy as well. Still, this news seems to trend in the opposite direction of what analysts predicted for BF.

#4 Posted by firefox59 (4314 posts) -

To be fair, part of it is because BF is mostly an American thing and in North America MS > Sony. Even still, I'm sure plenty of people are surprised by this.

#5 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

in North America MS > Sony.

I don't think that is strictly true. Sony's presence here is pretty prevalent and always has been. Microsoft's first Xbox didn't put a dent in PS2 sales. The 360 trended that way, but Sony was as much to blame for that as any of it's competitors.

After E3 Microsoft has it's work cut out for it trying to win back the mindshare they burnt off with the bad announcements. And Sony managed to capitalize pretty well on their blunders. I don't think any territory (other Japan) is going to be an easy one to call early.

If nothing else, as a fan of this industry it's going to be fun seeing how it all shakes out a year or two down the road. As much as I've enjoyed Microsoft's consoles, they needed a shake up. 10 years ago the Xbox being little more than the Halo delivery system was enough. In 2013 though, it is not. I'd like to think they are building up some relationships behind the scenes and planning some fun stuff for the console's second and third waves of titles, but for now it's anyone's guess how it will all play out.

Sony came out strong, built up stronger, and then pissed it all away with the PS3. Don't get me wrong, I have a PS3 and enjoyed some great gaming moments with it. But they are stronger now for their blunders in 2006-8. Since those blunders we've seen them refocus their efforts on more important aspects of the console market like ease of programming, stronger hardware, helping build up studios and investing in not only first but second party developers. They're on a good track, and if MS is smart they will follow suit and get some more studios under their wings.

Ahhhh, Video games. Even talking about the boring business side of things is fun. :)

#6 Posted by Jacanuk (3636 posts) -

@Areez said:

This just popped up on mu pulse my app....If this in fact is true, than perhaps the $100 price difference is not that big of impact as many thought it would be...

You know what would be more interesting to know, is how big was the stock for each of the consoles.

Its easy enough to have a great sale and higher than Sony but if Ps4 had 10 and Xbox had a 100 , well the rest goes without saying.

#7 Posted by Jacanuk (3636 posts) -

To be fair, part of it is because BF is mostly an American thing and in North America MS > Sony. Even still, I'm sure plenty of people are surprised by this.

I agree North America is highly Xbox territory which again is shown by Microsoft saying a huge F you to most of europe and only around 5 countries got the xbox one, the rest have to wait until q1 2014 meaning anywhere from mid Jan to end of March, early april.

#8 Edited by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

I think it's possible that Sony short-changed North America restock to have a real launch in Europe. I still believe Sony will outsell the Xbone in November and December, and lead by at least 2-3 million sales globally by winter's end.

#9 Posted by Archangel3371 (15145 posts) -

Hmm. Interesting. With all the negative PR, $100 price difference, and backlash from the gaming community many thought the Xbox One would be DOA. It looks like should turn out to be a very interesting gen indeed.

#10 Posted by The_Last_Ride (68894 posts) -

Not in Europe. X1 is tailored for US, Lets face it. MS doesn't give a crap about Europe or the rest of the world. It's not a huge surprise that X1 is doing well in the US

#11 Edited by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

Not in Europe. X1 is tailored for US, Lets face it. MS doesn't give a crap about Europe or the rest of the world. It's not a huge surprise that X1 is doing well in the US

That's a strategy for failure if they really do feel that way. That means that they'd end up selling 50 million systems, and that's being optimistic. The Xbone has to be a global success to remain relevant, and perhaps Sony knows this and is pre-emptively choking them out in Europe with the intention of holding them at arm's length in North America until Europe is on lockdown. Japan is a lost cause for Microsoft, but it's a lost cause for Sony too. Japan just went fucking nuts last generation and is not a relevant factor for home console sales any longer. It has completely marginalized itself. That said, with what little success the consoles DO see in Japan, it'll be a lopsided bloodbath -- even more so than last generation.

#12 Posted by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

Well yeah, you could actually find Xbones in stores. However, a 50/50 split in NA is a huge loss for MS. Anything above that is a huge win for Sony and 50/50 is being highly generous for MS, I predict 60-40 by years end for PS4 and much higher around the world.

#13 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I think it's possible that Sony short-changed North America restock to have a real launch in Europe. I still believe Sony will outsell the Xbone in November and December, and lead by at least 2-3 million sales globally by winter's end.

Sony plans to ship 5 million by the end of March. Seeing as how MS shipped and sold 1 million Day 1, i highly doubt the lead would be as high as 2 million.

I am not sure how the X1 sold more than the PS4 seeing as how PS4 sold 1 million on Day 1 in NA alone and MS needed 13 countries to sell 1 million. it could be that MS had retailers hold X1 units for Black Friday. argianas wasn't able to buy one even though stores he checked had them in stock.

#14 Posted by The_Last_Ride (68894 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

That's a strategy for failure if they really do feel that way. That means that they'd end up selling 50 million systems, and that's being optimistic. The Xbone has to be a global success to remain relevant, and perhaps Sony knows this and is pre-emptively choking them out in Europe with the intention of holding them at arm's length in North America until Europe is on lockdown. Japan is a lost cause for Microsoft, but it's a lost cause for Sony too. Japan just went fucking nuts last generation and is not a relevant factor for home console sales any longer. It has completely marginalized itself. That said, with what little success the consoles DO see in Japan, it'll be a lopsided bloodbath -- even more so than last generation.

i don't know when the X1 will get here, they haven't even announced that yet. But i don't know anyone that is a gamer that considering to get it. Costing around 750-800 bucks is damn expensive for a console here for something you don't want. None of the apps nor the TV function will work. Neither will voice recignition. So i am not considering it

#15 Posted by Ghost_Face (7672 posts) -

Why do you believe MS doesn't care about Europe or the rest of the world? Is it because the launch in those countries or territories is after that of NA? It's not a zero sum equation. And MS can't consider NA a safe region even though it's home territory, unlike Sony in Japan.

I think this news is surprising after the backlash and 180 after announcing the X1.

#16 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

@Ghost_Face:

I am also not buying the idea that MS does not care about Europe. I mean they did bundle FIFA with the Xbox One. That would be the equivalent of bundling Madden here in the United States.

I think what is interesting here is that the Xbox One has faired better, despite the post E3 backlash, and negative press. Perhaps the nay sayers under estimated the Xbox One.....

#17 Edited by Jacanuk (3636 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

Why do you believe MS doesn't care about Europe or the rest of the world? Is it because the launch in those countries or territories is after that of NA? It's not a zero sum equation. And MS can't consider NA a safe region even though it's home territory, unlike Sony in Japan.

I think this news is surprising after the backlash and 180 after announcing the X1.

I know you didn´t ask me but there a number of reasons why Microsoft consider North America its core market and europe as a 2nd rate market.

The major one is that Xbox have always sold more in NA than europe which is partly because their design is focused on the "internet Infrastructure" there is in america and that europe is historical a lot slower to get new tech, after all most of europe only got netflix this year and last year, and how long have it been running in NA now? 5-6+ years not to mention tivo and the vast amount of channels and content being created for that market.

But what makes people think(know) that Ms doesnt care about EU? well first only a small part of the europeans was going to get it, and then at almost the last call they removed pretty all but the big 4 and ireland in europe. With a bad excuse that the language wasn't probably supported. So something a software update easily could fix would prevent release in countries where english is taught from the lowest grades in school..... nah i dont buy that excuse for one second.

Microsoft just wanted to have enough consoles ready for the other countries and NA.

#18 Posted by Randolph (10344 posts) -

MS sells the most systems in North America. It's not hard to understand why they would choose to cut some of the countries where they have traditionally struggled to assure supply in their single biggest market. I'm glad they did. If they had gone with a true worldwide approach, or something close to it, supply would be super tight, and I almost certainly wouldn't have one. If they had the supply, sure, but they didn't. Launching in one territory at a time with plentiful supply to meet demand seems like a much better idea than trying to launch almost everywhere all at once with very little.

#19 Edited by HckyTwn (1 posts) -

Most of you think like and talk like (and probably are) Millennial Gamers--and that's why you believe the PS4 is a sure thing to win this cycle. It's not. Most consumers are not in this demographic. They have more disposable income. They're more casual in their gaming. They want their entertainment consoles to do a wide range of things outside of gaming.

For example, think of all those late-30/early-40 mothers out there that buy a console "for the family", but of course are drawn to the exercise and dancing games. Or most Gen-Xers, who love to use their consoles for music or streaming shows. Or older gamers who don't particularly care about researching what console has the best GPU (see: 50+ GTAV fans).

Millenial Gamers are vocal on social media. Millenial Gamers are excited about launches and often pre-order. Others, not so much. They get the consoles whenever--there's no rush for them. You won't see their numbers in these "pre-order stats" that are cited or the "social media buzz" meters... but they're still there, and in much larger numbers. This is why the XBO will do just fine this cycle and why most of you will be absolutely shocked by it. You'll spin and try to explain away every positive XBO sales story, just like you have with the article linked above or the news that MS matched Sony's "million console launch".

#20 Posted by The_Last_Ride (68894 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Ghost_Face said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

I know you didn´t ask me but there a number of reasons why Microsoft consider North America its core market and europe as a 2nd rate market.

The major one is that Xbox have always sold more in NA than europe which is partly because their design is focused on the "internet Infrastructure" there is in america and that europe is historical a lot slower to get new tech, after all most of europe only got netflix this year and last year, and how long have it been running in NA now? 5-6+ years not to mention tivo and the vast amount of channels and content being created for that market.

But what makes people think(know) that Ms doesnt care about EU? well first only a small part of the europeans was going to get it, and then at almost the last call they removed pretty all but the big 4 and ireland in europe. With a bad excuse that the language wasn't probably supported. So something a software update easily could fix would prevent release in countries where english is taught from the lowest grades in school..... nah i dont buy that excuse for one second.

Microsoft just wanted to have enough consoles ready for the other countries and NA.

that and no apps are getting released for the european versions of the 360 and i am guessing the same will happen to X1

#21 Edited by SirWander (5176 posts) -

MS did put up a good marketing campaign.

#22 Edited by firefox59 (4314 posts) -

@Shame-usBlackley said:

Sony plans to ship 5 million by the end of March. Seeing as how MS shipped and sold 1 million Day 1, i highly doubt the lead would be as high as 2 million.

I am not sure how the X1 sold more than the PS4 seeing as how PS4 sold 1 million on Day 1 in NA alone and MS needed 13 countries to sell 1 million. it could be that MS had retailers hold X1 units for Black Friday. argianas wasn't able to buy one even though stores he checked had them in stock.

So many people keep saying this. While it's entirely possible, looking at the BF numbers, doesn't it also make sense that MS simply spread out their stock over the 13 countries to sell 1 million. Just because the Xbox One launched in more countries, doesn't mean that it needed those countries to hit that all of a sudden important 1 million mark.

#23 Posted by Ghost_Face (7672 posts) -

@Jacanuk:

I don't believe that Microsoft's focus on NA as their primary regions means a lack of caring about Europe. Does that line of reasoning mean that Netflix doesn't care about Europe because they have only started to penetrate that market? Not at all. I don't think it's unusual for an NA company to focus on that home region. It's one of the biggest markets, and they may have more of an affinity for NA tastes/trends.

Why offer an even more limited amount of consoles in more regions, making every launch chaotic, instead of focusing on their main one? Maybe they could have waited and had a simultaneous launch, but that just plays into Sony's hands ever more.

After watching multiple videos with the Kinect failing to recognize Danny's accent, I don't believe it's hogwash that more work is needed. I'm not a software engineer, and can't speak on how easy or difficult it would be to patch this functionality, but I have to believe more work goes into it than that. The issues were so noticeable, Gamespot had an entire segment on it. I'm not saying there is nothing to your reasoning, I just don't think it's that clear cut either.

#24 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Ghost_Face said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

that and no apps are getting released for the european versions of the 360 and i am guessing the same will happen to X1

MS doesn't give a crap about Europe. There's a serious problem with the Xbone's multimedia functionality in Europe but MS ignored the issue prior to launch and has declined to comment on it (let alone fix it) since launch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-25-xbox-one-tv-integration-suffers-noticeable-judder-in-uk

The Xbox One's TV integration suffers noticeable judder in the UK, tests have revealed.

Website HDTVTest.co.uk first flagged up the problem, which occurs when you run a live TV feed from your set-top box, such as a Freeview HD, Sky or Virgin Media box, into Microsoft's console using the HDMI-in port.

The UK and Europe use a 50Hz broadcasting system. The Xbox One outputs at 60Hz, so if you feed it a 50Hz HDMI source, one out of every six frames will be a duplicate, causing judder.

#25 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@Areez said:

This early in HW companies normally (but not always) sell pretty much everything they ship, so if there is a gap it probably represents MS allocating more units to NA in that timeframe. Sony launched in Europe this week and sold 250K consoles in the UK alone.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-02-ps4-fastest-selling-console-in-uk-history

PS4 exclusive Knack debuts at 13 ahead of Super Mario 3D World on Wii U at 14. Yes, Knack sold more than Mario.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-12-02-ps4-become-uks-fastest-ever-selling-console

The impact of the new machine is evident in the sales breakdown of individual titles on the UK chart, however, as Sony's machine outsold other platforms on nearly every multiplatform title. Nonetheless, this week's number one, Call of Duty: Ghosts sold best on the huge install base of the Xbox 360, which took 37 per cent of total sales compared to the PS4's 28, the PS3's 21 and the Xbox One's 12 per cent.

Last week's top dog, fellow hardy perennial FIFA, slipped down to number two in this week's chart, but showed a huge swing towards PS4, which accounted for a massive 42 per cent of total sales. Xbox 360 took 22 per cent, Xbox One 19 and PS3 14 per cent. Whilst that lion's share is an impressive statistic, it should be remembered that it is at least partly due to Microsoft bundling FIFA in with pre-orders of its machine at launch.

#26 Edited by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

@CarnageHeart said:

@Areez said:

This early in HW companies normally (but not always) sell pretty much everything they ship, so if there is a gap it probably represents MS allocating more units to NA in that timeframe. Sony launched in Europe this week and sold 250K consoles in the UK alone.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-02-ps4-fastest-selling-console-in-uk-history

PS4 exclusive Knack debuts at 13 ahead of Super Mario 3D World on Wii U at 14. Yes, Knack sold more than Mario.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-12-02-ps4-become-uks-fastest-ever-selling-console

The impact of the new machine is evident in the sales breakdown of individual titles on the UK chart, however, as Sony's machine outsold other platforms on nearly every multiplatform title. Nonetheless, this week's number one, Call of Duty: Ghosts sold best on the huge install base of the Xbox 360, which took 37 per cent of total sales compared to the PS4's 28, the PS3's 21 and the Xbox One's 12 per cent.

Last week's top dog, fellow hardy perennial FIFA, slipped down to number two in this week's chart, but showed a huge swing towards PS4, which accounted for a massive 42 per cent of total sales. Xbox 360 took 22 per cent, Xbox One 19 and PS3 14 per cent. Whilst that lion's share is an impressive statistic, it should be remembered that it is at least partly due to Microsoft bundling FIFA in with pre-orders of its machine at launch.

I said GotDAYUM!

#27 Posted by The_Last_Ride (68894 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Ghost_Face said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

MS doesn't give a crap about Europe. There's a serious problem with the Xbone's multimedia functionality in Europe but MS ignored the issue prior to launch and has declined to comment on it (let alone fix it) since launch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-25-xbox-one-tv-integration-suffers-noticeable-judder-in-uk

The Xbox One's TV integration suffers noticeable judder in the UK, tests have revealed.

Website HDTVTest.co.uk first flagged up the problem, which occurs when you run a live TV feed from your set-top box, such as a Freeview HD, Sky or Virgin Media box, into Microsoft's console using the HDMI-in port.

The UK and Europe use a 50Hz broadcasting system. The Xbox One outputs at 60Hz, so if you feed it a 50Hz HDMI source, one out of every six frames will be a duplicate, causing judder.

I am sure there will be some issues where i live aswell when it finally gets here

#28 Edited by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

They also benefitted because PS4s were/are harder to find.

#29 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Things that are on a shelf can sell, stuff that is sold out can't.

#30 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Things that are on a shelf can sell, stuff that is sold out can't.

Gaf said this survey is based on one blog's survey of one target store around 3000 shoppers. I've seen this story picked up by many mainstream and gaming websites. Odd that they are all sourcing infoscout, a blog no one has heard of.

Maybe if they surveyed more than a few stores, we would have a better picture.

#31 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@S0lidSnake:

The NPD is so ridiculous tight with videogame data its not surprising that journalists looking for hard numbers just kind of go along with any random site that makes plausible claims. VGChartz numbers pop up quite a bit even though back when the NPD actually shared data it was regularly demonstrated that VGChartz was pulling its numbers out of its butt.

#32 Edited by Jacanuk (3636 posts) -

@Jacanuk:

I don't believe that Microsoft's focus on NA as their primary regions means a lack of caring about Europe. Does that line of reasoning mean that Netflix doesn't care about Europe because they have only started to penetrate that market? Not at all. I don't think it's unusual for an NA company to focus on that home region. It's one of the biggest markets, and they may have more of an affinity for NA tastes/trends.

Why offer an even more limited amount of consoles in more regions, making every launch chaotic, instead of focusing on their main one? Maybe they could have waited and had a simultaneous launch, but that just plays into Sony's hands ever more.

After watching multiple videos with the Kinect failing to recognize Danny's accent, I don't believe it's hogwash that more work is needed. I'm not a software engineer, and can't speak on how easy or difficult it would be to patch this functionality, but I have to believe more work goes into it than that. The issues were so noticeable, Gamespot had an entire segment on it. I'm not saying there is nothing to your reasoning, I just don't think it's that clear cut either.

Of course a focus from a NA company on their core market isent proof alone that they do not care. What is a proof tho is the amount of craziness us europeans have to take from MS, not only with this launch but also at the xbox360 launch and in his lifetime, most of that with a marketplace and services that reminds of a north korean supermarket, compared to what was possible to us xbox players.

Also i get that they wanted to have enough consoles, but why not do like Sony? release it in their core market and then europe, and why only so few countries? 23 countries to begin with and then 10 of those got kicked in the face.

Also i think there are some tricks up that Danny video, but its not surprising that it understands the people who made it and their core market :)

Anyways X1 is a US console first and then the rest of us can go chew on a stick. If thats because MS doesnt care because the world is only NA , or because Ms have had trouble with finding partners because our system is so different, is a question, but i believe the first because its not like we only 2 channels and still live in stonehuts.