Wow, Amazing Spider-man 2 actually looks good.

#1 Posted by FinalFighters (1738 posts) -

Check this out:

i like the fact you can now switch between peter and spider-man anytime you want, and peter having his own objectives now. it has more of that Batman Arkham vibe which i like. and the webbing slinging looked fantastic (imagine playing this with Sony's VR device!). The graphics look really good also, i think its the unreal engine.

I had no intentions on buying the game but after watching this walkthrough i think im gonna pre-order it (you get venom symbiote costume if you do, i believe) lol

anyone is/was planning on picking this up when it releases?

#2 Posted by guynamedbilly (12967 posts) -

The combat and graphics look pretty slick, but I really dislike the magic floating web way of swinging. It doesn't feel as fun to swing in the modern Spiderman games as it does to swing in Speedrunners. There's something wrong with that.

#3 Posted by Minishdriveby (10214 posts) -

They don't really mention how expansive the Peter Parker sequences are. They don't say you can switch between Spider-Man and Peter Parker at anytime.

#4 Posted by Minishdriveby (10214 posts) -

@guynamedbilly said:

The combat and graphics look pretty slick, but I really dislike the magic floating web way of swinging. It doesn't feel as fun to swing in the modern Spiderman games as it does to swing in Speedrunners. There's something wrong with that.

It's not a magic floating web anymore. The webbing sticks to building, e.g. Spider-Man 2.

#5 Posted by guynamedbilly (12967 posts) -

@Minishdriveby said:

@guynamedbilly said:

It's not a magic floating web anymore. The webbing sticks to building, e.g. Spider-Man 2.

Really? Wow. The video didn't seem that way, but if so my interest level is rising. Cool, thanks.

#6 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

Nah, can't do it. I have yet to enjoy a Beenox Spider-Man game. Admittedly it does look like they learned a bit from the last one. And this one might even be decent. But they always look decent in the lead up to release. People always think "maybe this one will be as good as the second movie game!", but they never are. The swinging is always lacking, or the combat is not as well realized as you want or the voice actors are giving strained performances that take you out of the moment. It's always something.

So I'm not buying anymore Spider-Man games from them. Spider-Man needs a Rocksteady type studio to come in and build a game that really makes Spider-Man shine. And I just don't think Beenox "get" the character or gamers in general. I don't want a button that does all the fun stuff for me, I want solid mechanics and the ability to pull off cool moves through my own volition and skill. I want combat that feels as custom tailored to Spider-Man's powers as the Arkham games were tailored to Batman's abilities. And I'm tired of settling for "so-so". So unless this one comes out to unanimously high praise and scores from enough sites to really change my mind, I have no intention of playing anymore Beenox Spider-Man games.

#7 Posted by equanox214 (129 posts) -

@guynamedbilly: Yeah they say it p[rolly in the first two minutes. "if theres no building to catch you will fall" or something along those lines. Im pretty hype for this one i felt that last one could of been great with some polish

#8 Posted by Wild_man_22 (673 posts) -

I'm always suspect, about developer walkthroughs, they just Feel scripted.I really hope Peter Parker isn't a huge part of the game. I can't imagine anything more boring,Unless you are using spider-mans abilities during the mission. That camera angle just looks awkward for combat.

I am hoping this game turns out great. But it is a movie tie-in, and a spider-man game. Will wait to see what reviews say, and most likely rent.

#9 Posted by superclocked (5863 posts) -

Finally, a good Spiderman game....

#10 Posted by johnd13 (8605 posts) -

This actually looks pretty fun. Whether it's going to be a great game remains to be seen.

#11 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6032 posts) -

The last one looked pretty great, too. I'll play the wait and see game this time.

#12 Edited by El_Zo1212o (6032 posts) -

Well, that was disappointing. It looks identical the first one. I like how all the new things they're boasting are all moves from Spiderman 2- slingshot, wall run, no more swinging from the clouds.

I wonder if it's going to get a 3ds release. After all, Amazing Spiderman was a terrible console title, but it made for an excellent handheld game due to the fact that it was nearly identical to it's big brother(sans the open world). It's just more impressive and forgivable as a handheld title.

#13 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

I had a great time with the original and this one looks to improve upon it in nearly every way. Can't wait to pick this one up. Easily a day one purchase for me.

#14 Edited by GiantAssPanda (1614 posts) -

@johnd13 said:

This actually looks pretty fun. Whether it's going to be a great game remains to be seen.

Yeah. My thoughts as well. Usually these games end up being pretty mediocre. 6-7 or something.

#15 Posted by jasonredemption (391 posts) -

I platinumed the first Amazing Spider-man video game and while it did have its flaws the one thing I LOVED was the boss battles with robots in the open city. That was the sort of thing that not even Rocksteady is doing with the extremely beloved Batman: Arkham games. I will almost certainly pick this one up, however the rumor on the street is that while it's fun it's not a huge upgrade from the last one. So I'm keeping my expectations low and since I've not seen any footage of Spidey chasing some giant robot through the city I'm already a little disappointed (but that's just me personally).