Would you call FPS games a part of the action/adventure genre?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by almoalgam (81 posts) -

so......Would you call FPS games a part of the action/adventure genre or do you think of it as a totally new genre?

i think of it as part of the action/adventure genre because....well they're action adventure games

#2 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

No, they're both part of the action genre.

#3 Posted by Sushiglutton (5366 posts) -

The way I think about it, the terms are used for different dimensions. "First Person" refers to the perspective, "shooting" is the main activity in the game, "Action/adventure" is about the overall structure of the game. So an FPS can be an A/A, but it doesn't have to. For example Borderlands 2 is an FPS dungeon crawler, Portal is an FPS puzzle game, Fallout is an FPS RPG, COD is an FPS action game (lacks the adventure dimension). A game like Farcry 3 is perhaps an example of an FPS A/A (I haven't played it yet so can't say for sure).

#5 Posted by Kravyn81 (9438 posts) -
It's still its own genre despite containing both of those elements. If you wanna go down that road then all games can be considered action/adventure because they all have some of those elements except for maybe puzzle and rhythm games.
#6 Posted by funsohng (28435 posts) -
No. It's a shooter. The main focus of a game that is categorized as an FPS is the shooting aspect. Therefore, I call it a subgenre of shooter, and nothing else.
#7 Posted by Megavideogamer (5467 posts) -

First person shooter games can take place in a modern action adventure setting. But also in a military theme, or Sci fiction setting. The genre is for shooter presetting via a "first" person viewpoint on the game playfield. Which can be any instances or setting. Shooting in the First person seems more important than the setting in this instance.

The genre seems to get its name from the muliplayer aspect. Even though you are on an action filled adventure of some sort.

For me it would be a Yes if going by setting/storyline.

#8 Posted by CRS98 (9036 posts) -
Shooters are action games by default. The adventure part entirely depends on how it's made.
#9 Posted by Ovirew (6425 posts) -

I think the way I look at it is FPS (First Person Shooter) is its own sub-category of shooters, but FP can be part of pretty much any genre.

#10 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
Yeah action/adventure could pretty much cover almost everything, but for the most part a FPS is just an action/adventure shooter in first person view. Now some the focus is much more on just shooting so its much more of an action game than anything else. But a game like HL2, that is 100% pure action/adventure.
#11 Posted by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

To give a direct answer to your question: no, not all FPS have adventure elements (exploration being the main one) and therefore the FPS genre as a whole doesn't fit within the action/adventure genre. As a matter of fact, a lot of FPS are on rails (some literally, some almost literally).

Gaming genres are based around conventions more than actual literal definitions. The "action/adventure" genre is typically played in 3rd person, with focus on melee combat and its games have a little bit a freedom, an acceptable amount of exploration and some basic puzzles. People just weren't imaginative enough to find a name for these games, so they called them "action/adventure".

Kinda like how people call DMC and Ninja Gaiden "action games". It's just a collective lack of imagination.

I wish that a group of game journalists would have the balls to properly define genres, and give them new, more fitting names. But then again, as long as game journalists consider JRPG to be "role-playing" games, it will always be easier for me to remember that gaming journalism is not actually serious or legitimate.

#12 Posted by Blueresident87 (5340 posts) -

Traditional genres are becoming obsolete, there is so much cross-over now in games.

#13 Posted by ESPM400 (95 posts) -

The way I think about it, the terms are used for different dimensions. "First Person" refers to the perspective, "shooting" is the main activity in the game, "Action/adventure" is about the overall structure of the game. So an FPS can be an A/A, but it doesn't have to. For example Borderlands 2 is an FPS dungeon crawler, Portal is an FPS puzzle game, Fallout is an FPS RPG, COD is an FPS action game (lacks the adventure dimension). A game like Farcry 3 is perhaps an example of an FPS A/A (I haven't played it yet so can't say for sure).

Sushiglutton
Best way of defining the genre I've seen in a while, and having played FC3, it is a FPS A/A. I think the problem that we're running into is that the primary genres were defined back in a time when games tended to conform to a more specific set of parameters then that of the games of today, especially when it comes to FPS games. Personally, FPS as a genre refers more to the multiplayer only style games that birthed the genre, games that don't have a plot, just shooting other people in the fez. Otherwise it is - as previously mentioned - merely a descriptor applied to the genre that the game fits into.
#14 Posted by sukraj (23243 posts) -

No

#15 Posted by The_Last_Ride (73035 posts) -
i would call the genre generic :3,nah but seriously it's FPS, it's not adventure and it's mostly just shooting. Yeah a lot of action, but it's not a part of that genre
#16 Posted by Primordialous (1276 posts) -

Shooters are action games by default. The adventure part entirely depends on how it's made.CRS98

Right.

#17 Posted by tempertress (583 posts) -
I really think it depends. Some games fit quite neatly under one heading whereas other are incredibly hybridized.