would you be happy if there were less sequels

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

what if there were less sequals to amazing games and instead new amazing games? would you be happy or sad about this?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
I'd be happy as long as there are amazing games.
YoBrandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 YoBrandino
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts
While I do enjoy a good sequal to a great game I have played. I would rather see new games, than a bunch of sequels to games I have not played. Creates way to much catching up to do, I just don't have enough time to play, arg.
Termite551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Termite551
Member since 2006 • 1125 Posts
I'm fine as long as the sequels are good
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

Depends on the developer and/or game. Obviously if a series is designed as a trilogy or series (Mass Effect, MGS) I would want to see the franchise carried out from beginning to end. Also if a developer creates a truly unique setting and is able to explore that world without rehashing the same-old game (Half Life, Stalker) I would definitely love to see them create sequels and spin-off franchises. Last but not least are franchises where the title has more to do with the gameplay than the story. Franchises like Mario or the SWAT series, where you're buying the game for the st.yle of gameplay rather than a deep or interesting story.

However I hate it when developers create sequels without any meaningful updates or they use a franchise simply to sell a new game. A good example of the former is the Call of Duty series. Other than some minor changes and variations CoD 4 plays just like Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (which was created by the same team 6 years ago). This wouldn't be so bad if Infinity Ward/Activision adopted a development cycle that lead to meaningful updates, but instead we recieve the same-old rehashed game every year or so with a new coat of paint.

An example of the latter would be the modern day Final Fantasy series. The franchise name used to mean something; but now Square Enix slaps the FF tag on almost everything they produce. FFXIII, FF Versus XIII, FF Agito XIII, FFT:WotL, Crisis Core: FFVII, the list of upcoming Final Fantasy titles that have little in common goes on, not to mention the various remakes (both rumored and in development).

crazychris90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#6 crazychris90
Member since 2004 • 510 Posts
Games like the Final Fantasy series will do well even if they were'nt made to be sequels, they're all equally different. Like naming FF7 the Life Stream or something like that. (I'm terrible at making up names :()
11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts

Sequels are just a way to:

1. Not have to switch to a different universe/ gameplay style, because the devs were successful with the past game(s). This is a good thing if you ask me, because it would be a shame if there was only one game in some great universes out there.

2. Get some quality sales. We all know it. Sequels to good game make lots of cash, although it's usually mainly because it's a quality game.

bruizar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bruizar
Member since 2008 • 50 Posts

I think sequals are good as they create value for the IP, But if the sequal is executed in a disappointing manner the series suffer.

Good example in movies is terminator

Anofalye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9 Anofalye
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts

What about no more sequels on games YOU play, and more sequels on game I play? :P

Although Mask of the Betrayer should NEVAH have been done with the Soul Meter, a sequel as follow some guidelines that Mask of the Betrayer doesn't follow with this soul meter which ruins, destroy and completely change the game.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

Typically a sequel succeeds because the players want more of what that game has to offer so you can't bash them for making them. If you don't care for you don't buy it and that's fine. New games typically are risky because they try to create something from scratch. If it isn't very good then nobody cares. You don't get a free pass like you may have with a sequel.

From a personal standpoint I have no problem with each. I like to play new games but sequels typically are what make me love a series. I can't wait for the next Super Mario game you know?