Would you agree that the zombie theme has been overdone?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by CarcassPlays (74 posts) -

The title basically says it... But would you agree?

#3 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (6722 posts) -

Yeah it seems like every second game has zombies in it lately.

#4 Posted by The_Last_Ride (74019 posts) -

Yeah, it's overblown, i am tired of it. They need to be used as a story element like Walking Dead did, while telling a great story. But the theme overall is overused as hell

#5 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (17173 posts) -

I agree. Lets take it to the Next Level. GHOSTS & DEMONS !

#6 Edited by PyratRum (557 posts) -

Nah, I love zombies.

#7 Posted by Evil_Saluki (4923 posts) -

It goes without saying, but zombie stuff tends to be used as a foundation these days to stick other mechanics on. It's got to a point where saying your not into zombie games is like saying your not into FPS.

#8 Posted by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

Oh yeahhhhhh. I want to see more trolls and goblins in my video games ( Cmon developers,you know that's the next big thing)

#9 Edited by marcheegsr (2984 posts) -

Defiantly.

#11 Posted by BranKetra (49383 posts) -

There could be a decrease in how mainstream zombies, vampires, and werewolves are.

#12 Edited by Mesomorphin (864 posts) -

Yes, I would agree that the Zombie theme has been overdone, No I do not think there is enough games on the market today that bring enough justice to the theme, allow me to explain.

Games such as Dead island, War z and Zombie-u have interesting clever concepts that would complement the genre greatly, where it not for the fact they are all horrendous. And unfortunately this goes for the main majority of zombie game's that are currently available on the market.

I personally have only played VERY FEW games that do the theme any justice, and set to serve an example. Those games are Half-Life 2, The Last of us, Fallout( refereed to as Ghouls) and Call of duty zombies. Whilst others respect Dead rising and Left 4 dead and DayZ I personally never saw the hype behind them, but can respect them both, unlike Dead island, War z and Zombie-u.

So to answer your question again, I do agree the theme has been over done, but it hasn't been done well enough, inorder for me to turn my back on it just yet.

PS: I think dying light looks like shit.

#13 Edited by Jacanuk (5482 posts) -

@carcassplays said:

The title basically says it... But would you agree?

Hmm, in some areas i think it has been overdone, but its a great topic and so far i am not tired of the different ways the creators deal with it.

So in games like DayZ, WarZ, WhocaresZ, it´s overdone, old and bad. Where as in games like The Forest, 7daystodie, walking dead, its not, its not new but its not bad either and its good thing to play.

#14 Edited by Archangel3371 (16070 posts) -

No I don't think so but I love killing zombies especially in Dead Rising 3.

#15 Edited by gargungulunk (134 posts) -

I want to see zombie-dinosaurs...other than that, I'm completely tired of the undead.

#16 Posted by GuitarSmash (274 posts) -

Dead Rising 3 gave me my fix for those bloodbags for a while....

#17 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

I love zombie fiction, and have for a really long time. Somewhere in the early 80s I saw Night of the Living Dead and it was all over for other monsters as far as I was concerned.

Zombies in games though, it's kind of a relatively new thing still. At least done in a way that makes use of them as the central antagonist in some way. Before the Resident Evil games, there were almost no zombie games. At most you'd just have a zombie be an easily dispatched enemy like in Castlevania or something. RE changed a lot of that with it's more brutal approach to the undead as a real enemy. And from there the popularity grew.

I suspect developers like zombie stuff because it's easy to program mass horde A.I. If you put a bunch of soldiers in a game, people expect them to act like soldiers. To cover the comrades, work as a team, they need A.I. subroutines and pathing protocols. Zombies only need to know where the player is, have a sphere of recognition, and a groan sound effect.

But to answer your question, "no". I'm not sick of zombies and I likely never will be. Since Night and Dawn and Day of the Dead, they've been favorites of mine and I can't imagine anything changing that. :)

#18 Edited by Upat3am (99 posts) -

It has not been done right yet. There is no sense of hopelessness in zombie games.

#19 Posted by sukraj (23670 posts) -

@pyratrum said:

Nah, I love zombies.

same here

#20 Edited by Threesixtyci (4299 posts) -

It's always gonna be something.

Used to be WWII....

#21 Edited by yngsten (256 posts) -

@Upat3am: I guess you didn't play The Last of Us.

#22 Edited by Hennius (47 posts) -

What it needs is a LONG break... untill people start to miss it and become more excited in new invovations for upcoming zombie themed games.

It's hard to think what more they can do with the concept...

In my own opinion, they need to go back to the real "Horror" element and make something truly fearful.

#23 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (17173 posts) -

@ Hennius

Hopefully they'l leave out the survival part.

#24 Posted by Hennius (47 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: Slender style.

Taking away that key factor of potentially no weapons or just generally defending yourself.

#25 Edited by Lassiter88 (19 posts) -

It reminds me when everyone in Hollywood made movies about talking babies... after a short while, I get the point.

#26 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (17173 posts) -

@ Hennius

That type of thing just kills the mood. When a P C can't defend himself from a fly. Its like getting hit by a parked car.

#27 Posted by Arthas045 (5461 posts) -

I am still a fan of the zombies...

#28 Posted by Hennius (47 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ Hennius

That type of thing just kills the mood. When a P C can't defend himself from a fly. Its like getting hit by a parked car.

Depends... Why did amnesia do so well? Because of the fact you had no weapon and the ambience was fine tuned.

It is only a concept :P i'm not a games developer. The "Horror" element just needs to be tweaked when it comes to zombies.

#29 Posted by gbrading (8057 posts) -

When Dead Rising came out in 2006, I think we could safely say "the zombie theme is overdone". I have no idea what it is these days.

#30 Edited by Gallowhand (480 posts) -

I think everything has been overdone at this point, especially in FPS games. Aliens, robots, nazis, zombies, dinosaurs, mutants, terrorists...what more can they do? Those that try to use enemies from actual countries just seem to stir up a hornet's nest of controversy these days, so they play it safe due to political correctness.

I do think zombies have been overdone at this point (especially in FPS and RPGs) because everyone jumps on the bandwagon, but there seem to be more games using 'aliens as bad guys' recently. So I guess the cycle begins anew.

#31 Edited by Renegade_Fury (17395 posts) -

Yes, and I hate zombies. The only games I tolerate them in is the House of the Dead series.

#32 Edited by jukev2424 (269 posts) -

Yes, it is being over done, but I love zombie games so you just choose what ones appeal to you. I mean look how many futuristic shooters there are. You can't possibly play all of them.

#33 Posted by pupp3t_mast3r (141 posts) -

Yes it's massively overdone in games, zombies are just too easy a mechanic to setup and take advantage of. You never have to explain where they came from, no need to invent new game mechanics, and the ai in creating a believable zombie opponent would be a fraction of what would be required for humanoid enemies.

#34 Edited by Ish_basic (4089 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ Hennius

the clock tower games (at the least the first one) worked pretty well. Nothing like hiding under a bed crossing your fingers that scissor-man didn't see you crawl under it. Always felt those games were scarier because I couldn't just blow the damn thing's face off. Zombies have lost that fear factor because they're too easy to kill....Dead Rising 3 plays more like Dynasty Warriors than a horror game. And ghosts? What's he gonna do? Make the room cold?

We need a good old fashion juggernaut of an enemy (one or many) and a more helpless protagonist to put the horror back in horror games.

#35 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (17173 posts) -

@ Ish_basic

Under a Bed you say ? That actually sounds like fun.

Reminds me of Heavy Rain's Taxidermist.

Also if the Protagonist is going to be that helpless then the AI, had better very dynamic, and gameplay should support a fuckton of hiding and trap features for all sorts of Delaying, Diversion and Indirect Offensive strategies. It better be fun being hunted.

#36 Posted by Bumblebee1138 (61 posts) -

If a Zombie game is done correctly and cleverly it can turn out to be a good game (Like Walking Dead) but most tend to just make "Shoot/Slash Zombies" games which very tedious and uninteresting.

Yet somehow they sell very well....

#37 Posted by sukraj (23670 posts) -

@Renegade_Fury said:

Yes, and I hate zombies. The only games I tolerate them in is the House of the Dead series.

house of dead is crap.

#38 Edited by Renegade_Fury (17395 posts) -

@sukraj said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

house of dead is crap.

lol, what's wrong? Have you never played it at an arcade, or are you just allergic to fun?

#40 Posted by girlshavefuntoo (125 posts) -

I actually still enjoy zombie games, but I'm welcoming to new ideas. I think aliens would be cool.

#41 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (17173 posts) -

@ girlshavefuntoo

They better be smart Aliens. Not alien Zombies.

#42 Edited by YukoAsho (2083 posts) -

Lord yes, zombies are so overdone, they've become a point against a game for me. This while there are so many unused themes (WWI, Civil War, Roman Empire, Feudal Europe or Japan, ETC...) that would make amazing game settings.

@SEANMCAD said:
Maybe 1920s mobsters should be next.

Fuck.

Yes.

I'd SO play a shooter or action-adventure set in the roaring 20s.

#43 Posted by t1striker (1549 posts) -

Yeah actually a few years ago, and now it is just another zombie game geezes f'in christ. I remember when I thought Resident Evil was awesome with it's zombies, and everything. boy does the media like to beat something into the ground though.

PS: I'm actually still going to play The Walking Dead Season 2 contrary to my hatred of zombie games.

#44 Posted by sukraj (23670 posts) -

@Renegade_Fury said:

@sukraj said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

house of dead is crap.

lol, what's wrong? Have you never played it at an arcade, or are you just allergic to fun?

face is looking fine its the game that bothers me.

#45 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17395 posts) -

@sukraj said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

@sukraj said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

house of dead is crap.

face is looking fine its the game that bothers me.

So (C) for all of the above. Gotcha.

#46 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4322 posts) -

I don't really think it is.

#47 Edited by Barracuda54 (8 posts) -

I would say so, I have some Zombie games, I brought some Zombie games, the ones I bought, I returned, the ones I downloaded, I'm happy with...but yeah, I'm pretty much burned out with all the Zombie oriented stuff by now.

#48 Edited by WR_Platinum (4667 posts) -

Yeah its used way too much. Its kool after awhile, but there is no question that the zombie fiesta is oversaturated, just like aliens.

#49 Edited by wolf503 (128 posts) -

Yes, but I'm still waiting for it to be done right, so until then I say they should keep going lol