Worst sequel to your favorite video game franchise.

• 51 results
ivo_ree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1 ivo_ree
Member since 2014 • 121 Posts

Which of your favorite video game franchises of all time were ruined by a very uninteresting, broken, out of place or rushed sequel that ruined the formula of that specific franchise?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Crysis 2. I mean it takes 9 hours for the to be interesting. Didn't even touch 3.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I didn't like a lot of the choices made for Mass Effect 3. I enjoyed the game, but I was still left very disappointed.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44138 Posts

Nothing recent really comes to mind. Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter for the PS2 was a real disappointment for me.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10433 Posts

@mastermetal777 said:

I didn't like a lot of the choices made for Mass Effect 3. I enjoyed the game, but I was still left very disappointed.

i'd go one further and say mass effect 2. much more shooter than rpg and not a particularly good one at that. 1 had a great story and ending, 2 was mostly just one big, relatively uneventful recruitment drive.

also splinter cell double agent

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Uhm... Nothing...

EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. ToS is one of my favorite JRPGs, and when they first announced a sequel to it, I was kinda excited.

.....And then that excitement was killed by the crappy story and Emil. I really didn't like how the original 8 (9 if you count Kratos) characters from the first one were basically guest characters in their own game. They had barely any plot relevance and when they joined you, it was for short periods of time and they were level-locked and equipment-locked. And **** Emil. And that whole little monster taming/catching thing has been done before in RPGs, and done better.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

No Wait ! Theres Bioshock Infinite !

bigt503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bigt503
Member since 2010 • 42 Posts

Loved the first killzone.....pure trash since the first one. (haven't played the newest, still playing on ps3)

Refresh220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Refresh220
Member since 2014 • 49 Posts

Suikoden is one of my favorite game series and playing number 4 was just an insult.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Halo Reach.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lulu_Lulu

The more appropriate question is. Who still makes blind purchases and preorders ?

Forget the the crappy sequels and the developers who make them, lets get to the SAUCE of the problem.... YOU !

rkb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rkb89
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I would say castlevania lords of shadow 2...not that it was a bad game..just a let down from the first one

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

Deus Ex Invisible War.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Dragon Age 2 was a pretty big let down. They wen't from a massive world with a multi-part story and tactical gameplay to a small, closed-off world with a single story about some ass hole I don't care about and action-oriented, controller-friendly gameplay. I imported my character for what? so I could see him once? And all of the decisions I made had pretty much no real effect on the story. They set up this awesome world with a bunch of lore and then said: "nah, lets make a game about this douchebag in some place called Kirkwall or whatever" "Yeah! we'll have the enemies appear out of nowhere so all the combat is the same!" "Great idea! Let's get rid of all the different playable races too! We can make the deeproads a tiny side mission!" "**** yea! lets smoke some more crack!"

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#16 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

Crysis 2.

JamesJoule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JamesJoule
Member since 2012 • 398 Posts

Dragon age 2 .. Batman Arkham origins .. Mass effect 3

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

DMC2 and DmC.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Uncharted 3 without question.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mastermetal777

@mesomorphin: I both agree and disagree with Uncharted 3. The mechanics were a bit better, as were a lot of the visuals, but the game's plot was essentially a giant copy/paste of Uncharted 2, with one of the most pointless set pieces I've ever seen. The cruise ship sequence DID NOT have to be there! It was overly long, served no purpose to the plot other than to give Drake another arbitrary obstacle, and had a extremely lame villain to boot. I liked the overall story, as well as seeing Nate and Sully interacting more and learning about their past, but the game wasn't nearly as good as Uncharted 2, and I'd argue that it was weaker than the first Uncharted - at least the first game stayed consistent throughout its brutally short campaign.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mesomorphin

@mastermetal777:

Okay so it would seem as though we "disliked" for different reasons. To me, what I loved about Uncharted 2 was the puzzle solving, the moderate challenge in deciphering them, and the idea behind actually having to pull out your journal inorder to put the clues together! But It didn't end there, the game had some incredible graphics for its time (even now they're still really good) along with some really good voice acting, and a decent story and ending.

Unfortunately whilst Uncharted 3 did improve in the graphics department and retained the excellent voice work the series was known for, the game itself felt like one big shooter! hardly any puzzle solving at all, and when there was it was miserably easy. The story itself, including the ending felt way too predicable and cheesy as shit. plus whilst I did like the scripted set pieces in Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3 abused it.

Naughty Dog flat out replaced the awesome puzzle solving and well balanced structure in favour of consistant fire fights and lousy story.

I'am hoping for Uncharted 4 to be an improvement, but I aint expecting it to be.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mesomorphin

Heres another. Pokemon X/Y......my god where they dumb down to the max, and their low polygon graphics make it worse. Stick with the sprites, they're much better.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Max Payne 3 :

Mediocre story , uninteresting characters , delayed PC version , designed for controller , Cover based combat , No dream sequences , No dark themes , lengthy & boring ass unskippable cutscenes , no quick saves/quick loads , crappy checkpoint system (mostly at wrong place) , annoying red/green/blue effect during cutscenes , over use of white full screen effect that explodes at your face after ever 3 seconds , Can't pick ammo in some cases after killing enemies because cutscene triggers and after that you can't go back to previous area , tacked on multiplayer , crappy level design , out of the place Max Payne's character , feels like typical R* game (cheap dialogues , slutty characters , typical "protagonist went to other country for job opportunity and now fighting for his life" Rockstar story etc) , Limited inventory , No Grenades , No Molotov cocktails , No Lead pipe or melee combat and so on .

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lulu_Lulu

@Cloud_imperium

I'm sorry, did you just list Cover Based Combat as a negative ?

You poor thing... :(

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

far cry 2

max payne 3

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#28 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Cloud_imperium

I'm sorry, did you just list Cover Based Combat as a negative ?

You poor thing... :(

May be you didn't notice but it was supposed to be sequel to Max Payne 2 , not Gears of War 2.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#29 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

@MirkoS77: Odd, I thought it was the best in the series, at least gameplaywise

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@Cloud_imperium

I don't care if its a sequel to contra.... Smart people hide behind cover.

Besides the gameplay of Max Payne 1 and 2 was boring.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#32  Edited By heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

Max Payne 3 :

Mediocre story , uninteresting characters , delayed PC version , designed for controller , Cover based combat , No dream sequences , No dark themes , lengthy & boring ass unskippable cutscenes , no quick saves/quick loads , crappy checkpoint system (mostly at wrong place) , annoying red/green/blue effect during cutscenes , over use of white full screen effect that explodes at your face after ever 3 seconds , Can't pick ammo in some cases after killing enemies because cutscene triggers and after that you can't go back to previous area , tacked on multiplayer , crappy level design , out of the place Max Payne's character , feels like typical R* game (cheap dialogues , slutty characters , typical "protagonist went to other country for job opportunity and now fighting for his life" Rockstar story etc) , Limited inventory , No Grenades , No Molotov cocktails , No Lead pipe or melee combat and so on .

@sukraj said:

far cry 2

max payne 3

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

resident evil 6 was a huge let down

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Final fantasy 12 - the beginning of the end for my interest in final fantasy.

Resident evil 4 - game was actually good, but not the type of game I expected or loved and it set the course for the rest of the series

Mass effect 3 - felt it was rushed, way too much stuff left unaddressed, even if they had more paid dlc for this I would have bitten.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#35 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

FEAR 3. My god, that game is terrible. I'm glad I got in a humble bundle for dirt cheap. It can't touch the original, or even FEAR 2 for that matter.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

I just wrapped up DmC and I can confirm that anybody who says it doesn't live up to DMC 3 is Full Of Sh!t !

Thanks You and GOOD NIGHT ! :p

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@SovietsUnited said:

@MirkoS77: Odd, I thought it was the best in the series, at least gameplaywise

Gameplay maybe, but it got everything else wrong. Terrible music and atmosphere, level design, "badboy"ishness of the Prince. It was an awful sequel in nearly every respect.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#38 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

@MirkoS77: It was too angsty, yeah, I do not agree about the music though, not at all. Level design was pretty damn excellent as well. But yeah, each to their own.

@Lulu_Lulu: For once, I agree

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lulu_Lulu

@SovietsUnited

I think this is a truly a historic Day.... Last Night I purchased DLC for the 1st time. Vergil's Downfall..... can't wait to break it in.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lulu_Lulu

@SovietsUnited

I think this is a truly a historic Day.... Last Night I purchased DLC for the 1st time. Vergil's Downfall..... can't wait to break it in.

ivo_ree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 ivo_ree
Member since 2014 • 121 Posts

Spyro : Enter The Dragonfly, this game was broken, unfinished and ruined the series. The developers are very lucky it sold over a million copies, however the good news is that if Insomniac Games were the ones developing this game they probably wouldn't have thought of Ratchet and Clank.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts

@SovietsUnited said:

@MirkoS77: It was too angsty, yeah, I do not agree about the music though, not at all. Level design was pretty damn excellent as well. But yeah, each to their own.

I'd have to agree with you about Warrior Within. Despite the badly-judged tone, it was easily the best game in the series.

Meanwhile, I thought The Two Thrones was a terrible sequel to Warrior Within. The series had a lot of promise after Warrior Within's ambiguous ending...and instead they went into massive backpedaling mode, and tried to win back fans of the series by essentially just remaking The Sands of Time (story and all). It was a really weak ending to a great trilogy of games.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@Planeforger

Screw the Story.... The 2 Throwns Gameplay was Miles better than its Predecessors.

The reboot was decent and the one after that was... Well it was something...

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

FFX-2 (only the ending is good)

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Planeforger

Screw the Story.... The 2 Throwns Gameplay was Miles better than its Predecessors.

The reboot was decent and the one after that was... Well it was something...

All I remember from T2T's gameplay were awful trial-and-error chariot races, awkward stealth segments, QTE boss fights, and weak retreads of Warrior Within's Sand Wraith sections. Also...I seem to remember that they mostly removed a lot of the combat moves from the previous game?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lulu_Lulu

@Planeforger

The Chariot Races were far less Trial and Error than the Dahaka Chases, They were cooler too.

What do you mean by awkard stealth ? You sneak up behind a baddy and spill his guts out, simple as that.

As for the Boss Fights, SoT and WW ended them with Cutscenes but T2T ended them with QTE's, its hardly a critism when you consider that.

".....weak retreads of Warrior Within's Sand Wraith sections."

Specifically what exactly ?

As for the Combat, they were Sort of Identical. Claiming that ALOT of it was removed is not just an overstatement, its actually a lie.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

#47 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

Deus Ex: Invisible War, Dragon Age 2, or Crysis 2

Edge_Plus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Edge_Plus
Member since 2013 • 135 Posts

Fable 2 - I didn't get the same feeling that I got when I played the first Fable.

Halo Reach - Even though I liked Halo Reach i still LOVED Halo 3 and didn't live up to it IMO.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mastermetal777

@Macutchi: Funny, I thought 2 was very well put together. It took the events of the previous game and added a new bit of lore and deeper themes, as well as some of the best crew members in the entire trilogy. It did tie in well for me, which is why 3 was such a big let down.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

NG3