Worst ideas for a video game that you've played?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Reed_Bowie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Reed_Bowie
Member since 2011 • 506 Posts
Dark Souls. Basically, the idea behind this game is that the game will be difficult and you'll have to retry sections multiple times in order to progress. Now, to be fair. this idea was executed very well. I just felt that it was a very boring and repetitive game.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
This isn't exactly what you mean but the XBLA game Rocketbowl came to mind. The premise is actually kind-of neat. It's pretty much "arcade bowling" with hills, curves, ramps, etc. I thought it sounded like it'd be a pretty fun multiplayer game. Wrong. You can only use one controller for multiplayer. That means if you play with four people, you take your turn and then you have to pass the controller to the next person for them to take their turn (and since this is bowling, you spend just about as much time passing the controller as you actually do playing). I think the game would be a pretty fun party game if it was splitscreen or at the very least you didn't have to pass around a single controller on multiplayer, but as it stands it's just a complete hassle to play. So yes, this is a stupid idea because would it really be so hard to allow different players to use different controllers? I can't believe nobody on the development team thought of that.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

So many tacked on multiplayers that ruin games.

DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

crimsonman1245
This. This, and this.
Apocalypse324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Apocalypse324
Member since 2007 • 1486 Posts

Both games are for the PS2 and both were surprisingly NOT terrible games either...

A Dogs Life: You walked around peeing on things and living the life of a dog

Mr Mosquito: you play as a mosquito flying around trying to suck blood from people and not get smashed

Two terrible ideas that were surprisingly somewhat enjoyable.

NeverMore0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NeverMore0
Member since 2003 • 1278 Posts
Games that just flat-out cheat are the worst in my opinion. Like the newest (I think) Heroes of Might and Magic game. They apparently couldn't make the A.I. any good so they made it so they could just keep buying unending quantities of units to throw at you.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#7 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Unnecessary implementation of multiplayer and co-op. Games should always focus on single player.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#8 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Having a campaign in Battlefield 3.

Beagle050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Beagle050
Member since 2008 • 737 Posts

Vehicle health regen - Any combat games.

Spartan_N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Spartan_N7
Member since 2013 • 581 Posts
Useless multiplayer and co op. Tomb Raider immediately comes to mind, as well as Bioshock 2.
DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

The desmond sequences in AC:R.

I couldn't do any beyond the first. So boring.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#12 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Quick Time Events.
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts
Heavy Rain. A game about a psychotic child abductor with a control scheme that appears to have been developed by a psychotic child abductor. What were they thinking?
ESPM400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 ESPM400
Member since 2011 • 96 Posts
Implementing motion controls as an afterthought, or just implementing them when they're not needed/wanted. Personally I have nightmares resembling that scene from Back to the Future II, 'You have to use your hands? That's like a baby's toy...' I will never give up my controllers/mouse and keyboard.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Letting you play MGS2 as snake for half an hour and then suddenly switching to Raiden
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 capaho
Letting you play MGS2 as snake for half an hour and then suddenly switching to RaidenBlack_Knight_00
Being abruptly switched from Batman to Catwoman a few hours into Batman: Arkham City was an unwelcome surprise as well.
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

[QUOTE="crimsonman1245"]

DarthJohnova

This. This, and this.

nfgpsk.jpg

TINYOWNSYOU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TINYOWNSYOU
Member since 2009 • 565 Posts

Cooking Mama multiplayer. I can't think of much that's worse than having a carrot peeling contest with your friends. Also, "Action Bass" for ps1 was pretty bad...

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#19 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Letting you play MGS2 as snake for half an hour and then suddenly switching to Raidencapaho
Being abruptly switched from Batman to Catwoman a few hours into Batman: Arkham City was an unwelcome surprise as well.

Aw, I liked Catwoman.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Letting you play MGS2 as snake for half an hour and then suddenly switching to Raidencapaho

Luckily I didn't have that DLC, so I only used Batman thoughout the whole game. From what I hear I didn't miss much.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

99.9% of motion controls. 

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Heavy Rain. A game about a psychotic child abductor with a control scheme that appears to have been developed by a psychotic child abductor. What were they thinking?capaho
Going by your description, probably child abducting.
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 capaho

Luckily I didn't have that DLC, so I only used Batman thoughout the whole game. From what I hear I didn't miss much.Black_Knight_00

The Catwoman segments were actually fun, the problem is that I hate character switching.  It kills the virtual reality aspect of the game for me.  I'd like to meet the idiot that came up with the concept of character switching and thought it was a good idea.  It destroys the integrity of the game.

JimmiCottam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JimmiCottam
Member since 2012 • 105 Posts

A Dogs Life: You walked around peeing on things and living the life of a dogApocalypse324

I remember this being hyped by the Official Playstation 2 Magazine. I played a demo and didn't think it lived up to the hype. Totally agree with you on that front, dude

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Luckily I didn't have that DLC, so I only used Batman thoughout the whole game. From what I hear I didn't miss much.capaho

The Catwoman segments were actually fun, the problem is that I hate character switching.  It kills the virtual reality aspect of the game for me.  I'd like to meet the idiot that came up with the concept of character switching and thought it was a good idea.  It destroys the integrity of the game.

Something tells me you're going to hate GTA V then
Apocalypse324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Apocalypse324
Member since 2007 • 1486 Posts

[QUOTE="Apocalypse324"]

A Dogs Life: You walked around peeing on things and living the life of a dogJimmiCottam

I remember this being hyped by the Official Playstation 2 Magazine. I played a demo and didn't think it lived up to the hype. Totally agree with you on that front, dude

Yea its been forever since I played it...from what I remember it was nothing great by any means...but don't remember hating it either, but just the concept of it is terrible

unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
Those "tactic" missions in COD BO 2.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Brink.

Well...it's idea was a good one I guess it was just the execution was f*cking atrocious.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 capaho

Something tells me you're going to hate GTA V thenBlack_Knight_00

If what I've read about character switching in GTA V is true, it will definitely diminsh the value of the game for me.  I hope GTA V doesn't turn out to be another Rockstar debacle like L.A. Noire and Max Payne.  If it does, that means the Rockstar of old is truly gone.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HipHopBeats

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Something tells me you're going to hate GTA V thencapaho

If what I've read about character switching in GTA V is true, it will definitely diminsh the value of the game for me.  I hope GTA V doesn't turn out to be another Rockstar debacle like L.A. Noire and Max Payne.  If it does, that means the Rockstar of old is truly gone.

Lol, honestly I wouldn't hold my breath expecting GTAV to be the grand finale of this gen. It does look to be way better than it's disappointing predecessor. But actual gameplay footage and minor spoiler vids will never steer you wrong. Rockstar would have been better off allowing character custimazation and using genric male / female voices like in Mass Effect instead of constant character switching.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Both games are for the PS2 and both were surprisingly NOT terrible games either...

A Dogs Life: You walked around peeing on things and living the life of a dog

Mr Mosquito: you play as a mosquito flying around trying to suck blood from people and not get smashed

Two terrible ideas that were surprisingly somewhat enjoyable.

Apocalypse324

Neither of those ideas sound terrible.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pffrbt

Games should always focus on single player.

Venom_Raptor

That's stupid and narrowminded.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pffrbt

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Luckily I didn't have that DLC, so I only used Batman thoughout the whole game. From what I hear I didn't miss much.capaho

Your reasoning is completely nonsensical.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#34 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
map packs and pay to win microtransactions
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 capaho

Lol, honestly I wouldn't hold my breath expecting GTAV to be the grand finale of this gen. It does look to be way better than it's disappointing predecessor. But actual gameplay footage and minor spoiler vids will never steer you wrong. Rockstar would have been better off allowing character custimazation and using genric male / female voices like in Mass Effect instead of constant character switching.

HipHopBeats

I agree, allowing for character customization and sticking with that character throughout the game makes the most sense from the gamer's perspective.  I suspect this new trend toward character switching is being driven by development costs, thus is cheaper for the developer to switch characters than to provide a campaign long enough for a single, customized character along the lines of the Mass Effect or Fallout series.

The GoY edition of Batman: Arkham City forces you to switch from Batman to Catwoman a couple of times first, then allows you to switch back and forth at your own choosing.  If you start as Batman and focus only on the main missions, the campaign is rather short, leaving you with just the side missions and Catwoman sequences.  I suppose that forcing you to switch to a couple of Catwman interludes gives the illusion of prolonging the campaign.  It seems to me that it would have made more sense to give you the option of choosing Batman or Catwoman and playing through as one of those characters before replaying the game as the other.

As far as GTA V goes, despite my disdain for character switching, I'll likely still buy it as long as the overall game is decent and the user reviews are good.  In my view, GTA IV is an all-time classic.  I suspect the character switching in GTA V will be something along the lines of Episodes from Liberty City, where you play through some of the overlapping GTA IV missions from the perspective of either Johnny Klebitz or Gay Tony, depending on which episode you're playing.  I hope they don't skewer up the GTA series with GTA V.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 capaho

[QUOTE="capaho"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Luckily I didn't have that DLC, so I only used Batman thoughout the whole game. From what I hear I didn't miss much.Pffrbt

How so?

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pffrbt

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

[QUOTE="capaho"]

capaho

How so?

Because there's no virtual reality aspect to kill, and even if there was then occasionally switching your character isn't making the game any less realistic than the fact you're controlling everything with a controller and you are not actually the character. If you're talking about getting into a game and feeling invested, switching your character isn't affecting anything. And what the hell are you even talking about with the integrity of the game. Switching your character hurts nothing unless the character you switching to is garbage.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#38 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

Having a campaign in Battlefield 3.

speedfreak48t5p
Yeah, till this day I still haven't finished it.
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 capaho

Because there's no virtual reality aspect to kill, and even if there was then occasionally switching your character isn't making the game any less realistic than the fact you're controlling everything with a controller and you are not actually the character. If you're talking about getting into a game and feeling invested, switching your character isn't affecting anything. And what the hell are you even talking about with the integrity of the game. Switching your character hurts nothing unless the character you switching to is garbage.

Pffrbt

I take it your thinking is rather concrete.  The virtual reality indulgence of a game for me comes from taking on the persona of the protaganist or anti-hero, depending on the tenor of the game, within the game's context and virtual environment.  Jumping characters breaks the persona aspect of the virtual relaity experience, and that breaks the virtual reality experience for me entirely.  If I want a collection of short stories, I'd rather read a book.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#40 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

adding online multiplayer to certain great single player titles

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Pffrbt

Jumping characters breaks the persona aspect of the virtual relaity experience
How difficult could it possibly be to become invested in multiple characters.
and that breaks the virtual reality experience for me entirely.
How incredibly petty.
If I want a collection of short stories, I'd rather read a book.capaho

How is it a collection of short stories if it's one story told from multiple perspectives.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 capaho

How is it a collection of short stories if it's one story told from multiple perspectives.

Pffrbt

It's not possible to have a single story from events that are described from multiple perspectives.  Each perspective has its own story.  I enjoyed Episodes from Liberty City but the perspective episodes that overlapped with GTA IV were just the same events rehashed with a different spin.  That's a lot different than having a variety of content to sustain a longer campaign.  It's a gimmick to make a short campaign appear longer than it really is.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Something tells me you're going to hate GTA V thencapaho

L.A. Noire and Max Payne 3 are both excellent games.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#44 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts
  • Tacked on multiplayer
  • Motion controls. All of them
  • Lack of a manual save feature (Condemned 2, Bioshock: Infinite)
  • Illogical control schemes
  • Pointless 'romance' dialogue options (ie Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age)
  • Pay to win structure
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 HipHopBeats

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

capaho

I agree, allowing for character customization and sticking with that character throughout the game makes the most sense from the gamer's perspective.  I suspect this new trend toward character switching is being driven by development costs, thus is cheaper for the developer to switch characters than to provide a campaign long enough for a single, customized character along the lines of the Mass Effect or Fallout series.

The GoY edition of Batman: Arkham City forces you to switch from Batman to Catwoman a couple of times first, then allows you to switch back and forth at your own choosing.  If you start as Batman and focus only on the main missions, the campaign is rather short, leaving you with just the side missions and Catwoman sequences.  I suppose that forcing you to switch to a couple of Catwman interludes gives the illusion of prolonging the campaign.  It seems to me that it would have made more sense to give you the option of choosing Batman or Catwoman and playing through as one of those characters before replaying the game as the other.

As far as GTA V goes, despite my disdain for character switching, I'll likely still buy it as long as the overall game is decent and the user reviews are good.  In my view, GTA IV is an all-time classic.  I suspect the character switching in GTA V will be something along the lines of Episodes from Liberty City, where you play through some of the overlapping GTA IV missions from the perspective of either Johnny Klebitz or Gay Tony, depending on which episode you're playing.  I hope they don't skewer up the GTA series with GTA V.

Character switching definitely takes away from the immersion. It looks like the 3 protagonists will rally up at certain points allowing you to decide which character you want to use for whatever heist they have planned. I'm sure people will have their favorite protagonists and some may even hate playing as a certain character. Sort of like a Tarantino flick where you see the same story from different perspectives. In the end, it's all padding to make the game seem longer. It could work but nothing beats either a solid single character or custimazation. If the actual gameplay is good, I'll buy it once all DLC's are out.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#46 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
as much as i love battlefield, regen has NO PLACE in the gameplay design whatsoever.
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 capaho

L.A. Noire and Max Payne 3 are both excellent games.Black_Knight_00

Of course, I was speaking only for myself.  

I know L.A. Noire has its fans, but it was just too broken for me to be able to enjoy it, particularly the idiotic driving physics that resulted in a shrub or a picket fence stopping a car dead in its tracks.  Combine that with an open world in which there was almost nothing to do, passersby who didn't react to your presence, the same background sounds everywhere (like pigeons cooing and the sounds of people playing ping pong inside of buildings), and the overhyped interrogation system that you weren't able to use on the guilty party during the serial killer investigation because you never had him in custody (definitiley one of the worst ideas for a video game), and it all added up to little more than nonsense.  

By the time I encountered the illogical character switch in L.A. Noire it had already become so laughably bad that I just didn't care anymore.  The convoluted pursuit of the arsonist at the end of the game resulted in just a cut scene ending rather than a grand finale shootout.  D'oh!  It's a pity that its development was so badly bungled that its potential was never realized.  It could have been an epic game rather than an epic disappointment.

As for Max Payne, another game that has its fans, it wasn't much more than a headache on a disc for me.  It was too linear for my taste and the shootouts were just too repetitive.  Also, I just can't get into games that are as devoid of humor or satire as this one.  The only game I've ever played that was more morbidly unpleasant than Max Payne was the awful Heavy Rain.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 capaho

Character switching definitely takes away from the immersion. It looks like the 3 protagonists will rally up at certain points allowing you to decide which character you want to use for whatever heist they have planned. I'm sure people will have their favorite protagonists and some may even hate playing as a certain character. Sort of like a Tarantino flick where you see the same story from different perspectives. In the end, it's all padding to make the game seem longer. It could work but nothing beats either a solid single character or custimazation. If the actual gameplay is good, I'll buy it once all DLC's are out.

HipHopBeats

I will buy it too, if the gameplay appears to be decent and the user reviews are good.  I don't like character switching, but if it's as you describe and the overall game quality is good, it shouldn't be too big of a distraction.