Worst Console Generation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sarge1442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sarge1442
Member since 2004 • 709 Posts

So recently I came across a podcast that talked about the best and worst console generations. Thought it was pretty good and I would say worst is Atari 5200 Era best is SNES Era. Also heres the link to what got me thinking about http://thegameraccess.com/shows/unscripted-access/what-is-the-worst-generation-we-can-remember-unscripted-access-episode-73

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#2 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Yeah Shokio said the upcoming one will be the worst one. I don't really think any of the ones i have been a part of were bad

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

It's a tough question to answer, because every generation has had some really good games.

If I had to choose, I'd say the PS1/Saturn/N64 era generation was the best. It had a good bit of the SNES/Genesis era in it, with good platformers and shmups, but it also started the 3D revolution. We got the "cinematic RPGs", the FPS's, 3D platformers, and franchises that we're playing today. I also feel like that was the last generation where just fun games were being done regularly.

For me, the worst was the Atari 2600/intellivision/coleco. The games were just too simplistic to hold my interest for long. The arcade ports were atrocious.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

Hard to say, for me the BEST generation was 4 simply because I grew up in those years. And were my best memories in games, music and high school years.

Cant say much about the WORST, simply because I never look at it that way with each generation.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6  Edited By Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

ZX-Spectrum 48k but then you take me back there when I was that age and I probably enjoyed it as much then as I do PS4 today. I can't answer this question I take what hand I'm delt. I feel games evolve and move on, and they have done so.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Of the generations I've been a part of, I'd have to go with the N64/PS1 generation. It was an essential transition period in which developers were figuring out how to work in the third dimension. However, being a transition period, this resulted in the games not being as convincingly designed as the 2D games before or the 3D games that came after.

Hennius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 Hennius
Member since 2014 • 47 Posts

This new generation recently brought to the world seems to be fairly... Un-impressive, Un-inspiring... Sure enough that they are taking things further with refined UI and additions such as kinect v2.0 and Twitch streaming. But considering performance then we are talking nothing jaw dropping and amazing unlike PS2 VS PS3 or XBOX vs XBOX360. In a nut shell, I wish i could revert back to the times of the N64... legendary.

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

for me personally... i had the least fun with the n64/psx era of consoles... although i did have a few psx games i loved, like ff8, chrono cross... but overall i found the system not powerful enough to provide decent 3d graphics it was attempting to do. but technology was in a crusty turning point from 2d for consoles from 1995-2001 and 3d was primitive and wouldn't become decent until 2001 with the xbox.

I can see why people think this current generation isn't much better then last, since the games barely look any different... its like a minor upgrade when it should have been much more. graphics being stuck at 1080p still is the problem... these next gen consoles should be able to put out at least twice that resolution. they didn't go far enough to next gen things... the hard drives should be SSD so the games load instantly, and the cpus should have twice the power.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

Definitely the recent 7th generation:

• Games that value storytelling over gameplay
  • Online passes
  • Day 1 DLC
  • On Disc DLC
  • DRM
  • Changing genres in franchises (resident evil, splinter cell, etc)
  • Milking franchises
  • Digital only games
  • Unnecessary motion controls
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Evil_Saluki said:

ZX-Spectrum 48k but then you take me back there when I was that age and I probably enjoyed it as much then as I do PS4 today. I can't answer this question I take what hand I'm delt. I feel games evolve and move on, and they have done so.

I remember this system I had one of them when I was a kid the graphics were shocking.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I want to pose a question to you guys saying the N64/PS1 were transitional and didn't provide the 3D gaming experience properly.

Are you saying that now, looking back? Or did you feel that way back then?

Because at the time, I enjoyed the heck out of those games. Twisted Metal, Wipeout, Destruction Derby, Descent. I didn't question the quality of those games at the time.