With AAA games going the way of the dodo...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

what are you plans when AAA development finally kick the bucket? Are you going full indie or what?

Hypothetically speaking of-course....

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#2  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

I'll play whatever gets made.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 torenojohn7
Member since 2012 • 551 Posts

Well Not really.. even another Video game crash won't kill AAA gaming...

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

What does AAA even mean any more? Size of the budget? Brand strength? Supposed quality? Because let's be honest, last year and the beginning of this year saw some shoddy releases from the big publishers, in spite of throwing huge amounts of money at development and marketing. It seems like they are struggling to release products not beset by problems (bugs or other issues), but also misjudging the market with some titles that fall a bit flat. Personally, I'm looking forward to many more games from independent developers (not necessarily 'indie') this year than supposed AAA games from big publishers, especially with some titles delayed to next year. The number of AAA releases on my radar is gradually diminishing, but maybe my tastes are changing.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

Thankfully there still looks to be plenty of AAA games in the works and for the foreseeable future to keep me going. I really don't see it dying off.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#6 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

@Gue1: I don't agree that AAA games are going out of fashion - it tends be the reverse. A Hollywood-ization of the games industry - big budgets and development times, super quick sales on launch to make the investment back, then drip feed content to hide the scam.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

I'll play whatever gets made.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Gue1 said:

what are you plans when AAA development finally kick the bucket? Are you going full indie or what?

Hypothetically speaking of-course....

AAA games will never be done.

What might happen is that developers will see that its not a good idea to spend the massive amounts, but reduced budgets does not mean that AAA games is dead.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#9 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

I think even if we think that AAA games are going downhill in more than one term....it still won't make a difference.

Look at the sales of the recently released AAA games....It's sky high and it's increasing.

I get a feeling that a lot of people don't question the content given to them.

They merely buy it because the game has a nice "EA" logo or "Activision" logo. They then make a correlation between the fact that they are big publishers and they publish good games... which is a grand misconception.

I bet there are so many kids on CoD that don't even know who the hell CD Projekt RED or Black Tusk Studios or all the other developers, that we partially still trust to give us good content, are. It's sad.

Indie games actually give you exactly what you want from an indie game.

It's always new and has a different taste.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#11 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

I've been playing more indie games than AAA stuff since about 2011-2012. Except for when Q4 comes around where there's abit of a balance.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

While I don't play many AAA, big-budget games (since 80% of them are garbage; uninteresting, recycled concepts with loads of DLC to make the product seem more valuable), I would certainly play one if it looked appealing.

I prefer medium-budget games made by mid-size dev teams.

Small titles are cool too, though I usually cherry-pick those since no-one needs thousands of 2d, side-scrolling platformers.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I don't even know what AAA means......

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

I am gonna do as I do now. Mostly focus on mid tier development games. AAA games stopped appealing to me ages ago.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#15 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts
@Archangel3371 said:

Thankfully there still looks to be plenty of AAA games in the works and for the foreseeable future to keep me going. I really don't see it dying off.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: Yeah I agree, the meaning for triple AAA is pretty vague so I'm I sure what qaulifies as a AAA game

Lozozozozoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 Lozozozozoz
Member since 2014 • 85 Posts

As others have said, I don't think that AAA gaming will die out.
Indie games are getting more popular and I think more and more people will start playing a mix of indie and AAA, not one or the other.
I tend to play mostly AAA games on consoles and indie games on PC - not on purpose, it just happens.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts
@thehig1 said:

@Lulu_Lulu: Yeah I agree, the meaning for triple AAA is pretty vague so I'm I sure what qaulifies as a AAA game

Its pretty simple.

From the perspective of a publisher, it means a game is given as much budget as it (reasonably) needs to develop it to completion. In the last few years, you are looking at the more ambitious titles being 30 million and up or so. 10 years ago, the bar was probably considered 20 million.

From the perspective of game review sites, it means a high scoring game.

The idea, in theory, is that if a game is given enough time and money, it should lead to a well made game and well made games sell. Naturally, there are always exceptions of super well made games that are massive hits done with a tiny budget, as well as crazy high funded games that flop incredibly in sales. In general, it does hold true that more money equals a better made game. And publishers have more or less faith in some developers than others to make do with a very constrained budget or a "take-as-much-as-you-need" budget.

Destiny is a AAA game from a publisher's perspective, but not a players. Something like Hearthstone was done on something that was even a sub-A budget but was AA/AAA from a player's perspective.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@thehig1:

Some say its Reception.... some say its the game's budget...... some say its the how many copies it sells......

Honestly..... the term is meaningless as it is.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: sure is

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@Maroxad said:

I am gonna do as I do now. Mostly focus on mid tier development games. AAA games stopped appealing to me ages ago.

@pyro1245 said:

I prefer medium-budget games made by mid-size dev teams.

This.

Although there are a few exceptions, mid tier/mid sized teams is the way to go for the most part.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#22 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Gue1: They're not going to dissapear

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@The_Last_Ride:

but compared to last gen the releases have slowed down dramatically and more and more companies are focusing more and more on mobile, DLC, F2P, indies, remasters... I mean, did you ever imagine Capcom making an episodic Resident Evil game? And there's hardly anything of worth in current gen systems beside indies and yearly franchises after 2 years in the market.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#24 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Gue1 said:

@The_Last_Ride:

but compared to last gen the releases have slowed down dramatically and more and more companies are focusing more and more on mobile, DLC, F2P, indies, remasters... I mean, did you ever imagine Capcom making an episodic Resident Evil game? And there's hardly anything of worth in current gen systems beside indies and yearly franchises after 2 years in the market.

indies are more than enough to entertain me when they're good

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

Honestly the best games have aleready being made each year is going backwards in quality. but i got to say the last few yeasr there have been advancements in gameplay, games cost WAYYYYY too much now, so the AAA budget is becoming less innovative ,more sequel based and fewer titles will be made. I think console exlusives will have the biggest problem with this since they are not gonna get as many sales as multiplats. Personally i find indies or AA to be more interesting than AAA these days, you dont need AAA budget to make a good game i hope more devs from smaller countries reallize this and stop spending riddiculus amount of money for crappy games.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

The last AAA game that I played and enjoyed was The Last of Us. If it weren't for that game, I'd probably have to go all the way back to to Arkham City. The big publishers just don't put out many good games anymore, and I've all but given up on buying AAA games, honestly.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

As other said I don't think AAA are going away. I don't even think they are going down in quality.

If there are no more AAA then I would say it would be a stagnation for gaming as a whole.

We are being flooded by lower grade games and they have little to nothing to improve gaming. Look even bigger companies are putting lower grade games like hearthstone (A) and team fortress 2 (A).

wing821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wing821
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

I would *SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY* whenever there's a game which I think is worthy. AAA or not.
We should let the gimmicky title cloud our judgement of a good game, shouldn't we

There are good game among AAA, there are good game among Indie(maybe even more)

that doesn't mean that we have to choose one of them.

I still have hope in AAA. Maybe one day, something groundbreaking would come, one day.
Indie may give it a push, or become better than AAA.
Who knows.

Just wait and see.