Witcher2, Skyrim or Darksouls?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

I've already clocked Darksouls, I'm currently plodding through skyrim, haven't played witcher. So which one do you guys prefer?

Trezay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Trezay
Member since 2014 • 39 Posts

skyrim without a doubt

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#3 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

The Witcher 3 is coming so i it'd be better if u give The Witcher 2 a shot first ....

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#4  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Haven't tried Witcher, I've only seen other people play Skyrim and the combat sucks ass, but Dark Souls is good. I like the flexibility it offers and the tense combat.

kingplutoxiao1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kingplutoxiao1
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Skyrim is already out of the picture because its not even an RPG(its a hack n slash, bring it on fanboys, you're first "RPGS" were probably Oblivion and Fallout 3, which aren't even RPGs, just Hack n Slashes. Once you play Fallout 1, 2, Tactics, Morrowind, and especially Daggerfall, then come talk to me.)

Dark Souls probably for challenge and Witcher for story and freedom. Both are excellent Hardcore RPGs(Witcher is a VERY good Hack n Slash and ARPG combo), but to his or her own.

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

They're all amazing, don't choose one and play them all.

Walkerdowntown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Walkerdowntown
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

I like Shyrim the best. It's amazing while it lasts but after 40-50 hours I abruptly don't like it anymore. It's strange. I couldn't beat Dark Souls because it was too hard. The art direction was really cool though. I'm not sure I like Witcher 2. The combat is not very fun in my opinion. It's too hard so I have to play on easy. I haven't beat it yet but the story is better than the game play. I'm not a fan of the game play at all

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Well one thing to keep in mind when playing an RPG is gameplay is not a factor.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@Walkerdowntown: dark souls is a tough unforgiving game Indeed, first time I tried it I didn't know what the hell I was doing, and didn't do very well, after a few key tips from my cousin I did lot better second time around and completed the game which I'm quite proud of. The combat in Darksouls is spot on.

I see what u mean about skyrim, I usually play it after a few weeks of not playing it and I think to myself, "can't believe I've been neglecting this game" then after a few days on it I'm over it, it can get a little boring it's a good game to keep coming back to. It's just to vast, but I love that there's sooo much u can do its insane, I mean u could play that game for hours without even doin a single mission, combat no where near as good as dark souls, but it makes up for that in other ways. Haven't played witcher.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

@kingplutoxiao1 said:

Skyrim is already out of the picture because its not even an RPG(its a hack n slash, bring it on fanboys, you're first "RPGS" were probably Oblivion and Fallout 3, which aren't even RPGs, just Hack n Slashes. Once you play Fallout 1, 2, Tactics, Morrowind, and especially Daggerfall, then come talk to me.)

Dark Souls probably for challenge and Witcher for story and freedom. Both are excellent Hardcore RPGs(Witcher is a VERY good Hack n Slash and ARPG combo), but to his or her own.

Skyrim a hack n slash. Not even close. You can use magic, shoot arrows, conjure weapons, summon elementals to fight for you... etc. I was level 40 before i ever even used a sword.

A hack n slash implies that all you do is repetitively range or melee down everything. The Witcher 2 is a little closer but it's not as well. You have signs, traps, bombs, ranged, and you can manipulate others to fight for you.

I've played all the early RPGs you've mention so you can't really take that route in your rebuttal.

One of the dumbest replies I've read since becoming a member.

@topic:

Honestly I would play all 3. They all offer something different and have different methods of immersion.

Dark Souls being the hardest makes you want to rise up to the challenge. It's so hard that any progress is very rewarding.

The Witcher 2 is a little rough around the edges with combat and such but it can be very challenging as well. Doesn't always tell you where to go so you have to research and search around for some objectives

Skyrim is a little cookie cutter compared to the others but offers a lot in the fact it can cater to any play-style and there is so much exploration and side quests it will keep you busy for a long time. It also has the other 2 beat in graphics and gameplay IMO.

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ShangTsung7
Member since 2014 • 250 Posts

Skyrim. no contest.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I prefer Skyrim though I loved the Witcher 2 as well. Haven't played Dark Souls.

donmuath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14  Edited By donmuath
Member since 2008 • 64 Posts

Witcher 2.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#15 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: That's incredibly naive, even for you.

huerito323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#16 huerito323
Member since 2009 • 1432 Posts

@kingplutoxiao1 said:

I've played Fallout 2, and Morrowind is quite frankly my favorite game ever. I don't know what makes you say Skyrim is not an RPG when you consider Morrowind an RPG. You didn't give a logical reason. To me, an RPG is all about character development and making choices. There's no other game that gives you as much freedom in this department as The Elder Scrolls series does. I can play through hundreds of hours with one character, then create a completely different character based on different skills, and my experience will be completely different.

The old Fallout games are a completely different type of RPG, just as JRPG's are also different. There isn't one type of RPG, there's many that focus on the different aspects that make an RPG. You got the Pokemon games, the Final Fantasy series, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Witcher..etc. Some focus on making decisions that change the story, some focus purely on character development and following a linear story, and some are open world that give you the freedom to do whatever the hell you want. All of them are RPGs.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

witcher 2 or dark souls for me, skyrim is very boring..

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

I happen to like all three. I had a great time in Witcher 2, liked that more than I thought I would. Skyrim I put around 400 hours across two characters, but I haven't gotten around to the DLC yet. (Backlog) Dark Souls is my favorite title of the past gen.

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

Definitely Dark Souls.

huerito323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By huerito323
Member since 2009 • 1432 Posts

I love both Dark Souls and Skyrim for different reasons. I can't choose one favorite.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ turtlethetaffer

The genre predates the entire video gaming medium.

Back in the day it was played by simply telling the GM what you want your character to do. RPGs are very idealistics, fueled by imagination, hence why gameplay is lacking even in the Best of RPGs. Hell, People like Mass Effect 1 more than they liked Mass Effect 2, despite 2 having much better gameplay, you know why..... Because Role Playing Elements are too good to follow simple game design. I'm not naive, atleast I hope I'm not, I forgot what the word even means

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@mjorh said:

The Witcher 3 is coming so i it'd be better if u give The Witcher 2 a shot first ....

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Gameplay/combat - Dark Souls

Story elements/c&c - Witcher 2

Wandering around picking flowers or rearranging the furniture in your virtual houses - Skyrim

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#24  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Skyrim

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

I enjoyed Dark Souls the most without a doubt. The combat's punchy, weighty, fair yet challenging. The world's dripping with a gloomy beautiful atmosphere, it's fun to explore thanks in part to there being no map, so you're more in the present wondering where to go next or dreading what might be lurking around the corner, as opposed to being more worried about getting from point A to B to complete a quest. It's a rare game that can keep me playing for hours where I lose track of time, whereas most other games these days leave me a bit fed up after and hour and a half.

I love Skyrim and The Witcher series. But I feel Skyrim became too easy too fast and ended up feeling a bit repetitive with too many pointless quests and uninspiring, lazy dialogue. I could never entirely get into The Witcher 2 either. The combat always felt a little frustrating (targeting the right person, having to roll around a lot to stop 2+ enemies steamrolling you), the story's too political for my liking and the characters all seemed a little bland and sometimes unlikable, so I ultimately felt withdrawn playing it.

PrinceLeto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 PrinceLeto
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Dark Souls didn't exactly work out for me. I enjoyed the challenge for, like, 40 hours but then farming souls and ascending weapons became too time consuming and tedious, so I stuck on Ornstein and Smough. Just could't find anything more to push me forward.

Skyrim was a beast for quite a long time. I did a lot of sidequest, got to level 37 and lost interest after approx. 100 hours. I didn't even manage to beat main quest. Don't get me wrong, both Dark Souls and Skyrim are great games, but there is just a moment when you spend too much time in one world and have to move on to another games. I sometimes come back to Skyrim just to do one quest and then leave the disc in box for another month or so.

Well, Witcher franchise is something else. It actually is a real RPG opposite to two other games. Skyrim is something I would call "Betheseda RPG" (when you play few their games, you can tell they look more or less the same) and Dark Souls is Dark Souls, nothing to compare it to, except Demon's Souls and incoming sequel, of course. Witcher's story, atmosphere is just superb and if I were to pick one from these three I would go for Witcher 2, because it's game I always wanted to play. Story-focused with well-written characters and decent graphics, didn't get monotonous for one second.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

Skyrim was fun at first but that lack of challenge turned me off.

I love the Witcher series because of the characters and the story. I have 85 hours logged into The Witcher 2.

Dark Souls is amazing. While the story isn't as fleshed out as the Witcher's, I like the way the game feeds you a little bit of it at a time. It's very dark and sad. The combat is punishing but not impossible. I have 115 hours logged into it and I would recommend it.