Will you use your real name as your Gamer ID next gen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 9 months, 29 days ago

Poll: Will you use your real name as your Gamer ID next gen? (39 votes)

Sure, I don't mind using my real name 13%
No, I'll stick to my Gamer ID or change it if allowed 87%

Both PS4 and X1 will offer gamers an option to use your real name as your Gamer ID. PS4 at launch, and X1 later down the line.

I'd rather stick with my current user name. I don't understand why people would want their private info on a gaming console out for the world to see, but to each their own.

#1 Edited by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

Maybe. I'm kinda already doing that, so it wouldn't be much of a change.

#2 Edited by JodyR (16412 posts) -

I agree it may be easy for some people because their real name is already known. Those who never share their real name on the internet will have a harder time,

psst, hey c_rake! :D

EDIT: Nice results so far HipHopBeats!

#3 Edited by HipHopBeats (2861 posts) -

@JodyR: Brofist

...................__

............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸

........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\

........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')

.........\.................'...../

..........''...\.......... _.·´

............\..............(

#4 Posted by Bigboi500 (29081 posts) -

No. I like being mysterious and enigmatic.

#5 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (18177 posts) -

Right, because I really want every internet lunatic to know who I am and where I live. What could go wrong?

#6 Posted by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

@JodyR: Hey! Been a while. How's it going?

#7 Edited by xgraderx (2395 posts) -

No,I wont use my real name.

#8 Edited by xsubtownerx (10705 posts) -

Nope. I don't mind having it shown in a profile of some kind, but as for a gamer ID I will stick with my xsubtownerx.

#9 Posted by Danyawesomsauce (105 posts) -

No. I only tell my friends what my name is.

#10 Edited by The_Last_Ride (69630 posts) -

nah, i will stick to my gamertag

#11 Posted by firefox59 (4340 posts) -

No, there is a reason tags exist in the first place.

#12 Posted by Jacanuk (3862 posts) -

Nope, not going to use my real name, also who cares if i am called "Bigwood30in" or "jamesjamesjameson" :D

#13 Posted by guynamedbilly (12919 posts) -

Nah. I wouldn't mind it showing my first name, but I don't want all my info out there.

#14 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

I don't mind people knowing my name, the problem though, is that no one does know my name. If I suddenly changed to it, I'd probably be wiped from some of my friends lists.

Can't really see the upside of using the real name though. More people know me as ZZoMBiE13 than know me as Paul. Just seems like a way to confuse everything.

Of course, ideally, they will both likely offer some hybrid option. Akin to Twitter where you can be Nickname -Real Name off to the side-. I might go for that if it's an option.

#16 Posted by EnderX (42 posts) -

I think the whole idea of it is idiotic. It's like going out into public and having a name badge with your first and last name. Not everyone needs to know your first and last name, and people who put their first and last name out on the internet for someone to see. And also usually post pictures of themselves and things going on in their life, well, I just can't understand why. Guess some people don't give a shit about privacy.

#17 Posted by Randolph (10423 posts) -

My first name has been part of my identity online since 2001. Well, actually, at first I was Vegita81, because I was an anime/dbz nerd, but I dropped that pretty quickly. So I've been doing the whole real name thing for a while already.

#18 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@Randolph said:

My first name has been part of my identity online since 2001. Well, actually, at first I was Vegita81, because I was an anime/dbz nerd, but I dropped that pretty quickly. So I've been doing the whole real name thing for a while already.

I prefer to think that Randy is just a construct of your split-personality disorder and that Vegita81 is your given name.

#19 Edited by sukraj (21797 posts) -

No

#20 Posted by Jasurim (41 posts) -

No, I prefer not everyone knowing my real name and gamertags can sometimes be a bit more fun too.

#21 Edited by MirkoS77 (6998 posts) -

No. I never use my real name online unless it's necessary (banking and CC sites). I also don't put any photos of me online either. Just value my privacy I suppose.

#22 Posted by VGobbsesser (15614 posts) -

I already use my first name as part of my online ID, but I definitely wouldn't use my last name. I would probably just keep using said same online ID.

#23 Posted by Archangel3371 (15248 posts) -

I don't really have a problem with using my real name but I've used my current one ever since I signed up with XBL on the original Xbox so I'll probably just stick with it for next gen as well.

#24 Posted by TAMKFan (32717 posts) -

I never use my real name as a username anywhere and next gen won't be an exception.

#25 Posted by Pedro (21006 posts) -

For gaming, I see no need to use my real-name. I have an ongoing alias that I have used for the past 10 years to I am sticking with that.

#26 Posted by Randolph (10423 posts) -

@Pedro said:

For gaming, I see no need to use my real-name. I have an ongoing alias that I have used for the past 10 years to I am sticking with that.

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa.

Your name ISN'T Pedro? I am so disappoint.

#27 Edited by s_h_a_d_o (1275 posts) -

@TAMKFan said:

I never use my real name as a username anywhere and next gen won't be an exception.

So very much this.

Also, I always refuse to link different forms of social media and/or user accounts - colour me prudent.

#28 Edited by drekula2 (1898 posts) -

my psn id is DeterministBane, and that happens to be my real-life name as well

#29 Posted by Namgis (3572 posts) -

Anonymity... is like a warm blanket.

-Max

#30 Posted by Flat_Line_____ (1437 posts) -

I don't mind using my first name. I would prefer other gamers used it sometimes in online games, rather than having some random name I decided to use always linking me to who squad mates or online friends think of when talking to me.

In my case, it would probably be better most of the time since my gamer tag, which is 'ShadyJay', makes people online think it has something to do with Eminem of course...

Actually, it is because my first name is Jason and I play kinda "shady" online. :P But, if it bothered me THAT much, I could always change it. I've just never felt like $8-$10 worth of bothered yet...