Will you be attending a midnight launch for your new console?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 0

Poll Will you be attending a midnight launch for your new console? (26 votes)

YES! PS4 27%
NOPE! PS4 the following morning 15%
YES! X1 0%
NOPE! X1 the following morning 4%
YES! Getting both 4%
NOPE! I'll buy both, but the following morning 8%
I won't be buying at launch 42%

A simple question. Are you getting a new console, and are you getting it at a midnight launch event? Not sure why I'm so curious, but I am. All feedback and replies are welcome. Thanks!

• 
bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1 bob_toeback
Member since 2006 • 11287 Posts

I think it would be fun. I've never been one to buy a console right as it comes out. However, I will be waiting. Im not too concerned with buying either at the moment. I think I'll be able to enjoy MGS5 and Watch Dogs fine on current gen for now.

CoquiNegro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By CoquiNegro
Member since 2013 • 171 Posts

I did it for the wii and the ps3, highly regretted it. I'm not buying a new console at launch this time around. Especially considering the launch lineups are even weaker than the previous generation.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

I decided not to get a console at launch and instead order the Rift

The launch lineup is so weak and most games are on pc so not really that into spending the cash on a machine that would probably stand in a corner waiting for a exclusive.

But even if i got a console i would never stand at a midnight launch, i can wait until ups stops by.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@bob_toeback said:

I think it would be fun. I've never been one to buy a console right as it comes out. However, I will be waiting. Im not too concerned with buying either at the moment. I think I'll be able to enjoy MGS5 and Watch Dogs fine on current gen for now.

I've never actually been one to buy consoles at launch before. I'd always wait until at least a few months or a year would pass and let a few games hit the market.

This time though, I decided to just go all in from the word go. Sure it's not the smartest choice. They'll be cheaper down the line, have more games down the line, etc. But for once I'm not going to worry about that stuff. I want to play Dead RIsing and InFamous and Forza and Destiny and I just don't wanna wait this time. :)

Not going for the midnight launch though. I'm old and cranky and hate to wait in lines.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I think im just going to wait till Friday morning to pick up my preorder from gamestop.

I rather be sleeping than waiting in line for a console that Ill probably be too tired to play once I get home. So I will wake up fresh and go pick it up and have a whole day ahead of me for gaming.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

I will attend the midnight launch as the weather will be fantastic and I'm quite the night owl anyways. Sounds like a party! :)

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

That's the plan...for the PS4, anyway. X1 is getting shipped...they were out of preorders before I got myself down to the store to order one.

I'm always going to midnight launches. Love 'em and this particular store manager loves to have them, so I've been to a lot over the years. The big ones can be a bit hectic, so I sometimes avoid them (Halo, Cod launches, etc), but I really want to be there to carry my $400 piece of hardware across a dark parking lot in the middle of the night, so.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

Nah I'll just grab both of mine the next day during normal hours. One of the benefits of pre-ordering is that I'm guaranteed a unit :) That said I'd be interested in attending one of those big launch events like they do at the larger EB Games type stores. Sad thing is that's usually over an hour away from my house so I can't really be arsed :)

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ZZoMBiE13

@Ish_basic said:

That's the plan...for the PS4, anyway. X1 is getting shipped...they were out of preorders before I got myself down to the store to order one.

I'm always going to midnight launches. Love 'em and this particular store manager loves to have them, so I've been to a lot over the years. The big ones can be a bit hectic, so I sometimes avoid them (Halo, Cod launches, etc), but I really want to be there to carry my $400 piece of hardware across a dark parking lot in the middle of the night, so.

Only time I'll go to a midnight launch is if it IS a Halo release or a Grand Theft Auto release. And I made it out to Injustice's launch as well. I really wanted to try that arcade stick.

But despite going, I still had to grouse about it. (See above comment about being old and cranky). **Grumble grumble** we live in the future and can pluck data from the air but I have to wait in a stupid line to get my new game **grumble grumble first world problems grumble**. RABBLE RABBLE!

daviddiorio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 daviddiorio
Member since 2013 • 31 Posts

Never been to a console launch before but I have been to plenty of game releases so if its anything like those I think it will be pretty fun. They usually give out a bunch of free stuff and give you special one night discounts on other products.

gold_struck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By gold_struck
Member since 2013 • 64 Posts

ZZoMBiE13 living in hawaii :'( i wish i could attend

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

No I ordered my xbox one from Amazon.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I preordered my PS4 at the Gamestop 10 minutes away from my house and I am going to be there for the midnight launch.

My wife wants me to wait until the next day because she worries that I will get robbed, but I've never been robbed (being a burly black guy with a childhood scar bisecting one eyebrow helps in some situations) and I doubt my streak will end Thursday night since there are normally a couple cops posted outside during midnight game launches (never attended a midnight hardware launch for this particular store).

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RimacBugatti

When do you think the people will start camping outside of the stores prior to the launch?

Alucard1475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By Alucard1475
Member since 2004 • 564 Posts

I'll be getting a PS4, but not at launch. The games I actually want for it are something like 8+ months away.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#16 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

If you are going to a PS4 midnight launch give me a hell yeah!

Loading Video...

nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

Yes, I'm absolutely going at midnight for my PS4.

For my Xbox One, sadly, I have that pre-ordered from Amazon because GameStop sold out of Xbox One pre-orders basically the second they opened them and, since they couldn't guarantee me a Day One Edition, I opted to keep my Amazon pre-order.

VintAge68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 5

#18 VintAge68
Member since 2010 • 530 Posts

Hopefully, the following day (i.e. for Europe: end of November) but my expectation is somewhat filtered through the fact that I had already the opportunity to use both next-gen consoles during this summer...

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

@RimacBugatti:

What's interesting is that based on a conversation I overheard a Gamestop manager having with a caller, they expect to get some additional systems on top of the preorders, so some people will be able to pick up PS4s on launch day without a reservation.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RimacBugatti

Well hopefully that's the case. I preordered my PS4 but I had been thinking of maybe getting an Xbox One as well but I'm not sure yet.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@CarnageHeart said:

@RimacBugatti:

What's interesting is that based on a conversation I overheard a Gamestop manager having with a caller, they expect to get some additional systems on top of the preorders, so some people will be able to pick up PS4s on launch day without a reservation.

Seems to be the case at my store, too, which was interesting. Got me wondering if they were trying to keep up store traffic for Friday morning, as the plaza has both a Target and Best Buy in it.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I have waited in line for most new consoles the last 3 gens, but this time I opted for Amazon Prime, which gives you free launch day delivery. It's a big relief... in the past, I used to wait for 10 hours, get home, hook it up, and pass out. Now, I'll be rested and ready for a marathon. I'm so glad it's happening on a Friday. I won't get it until the afternoon, but that's OK with me... it's worth it to relax at my domicile as I prepare my entertainment center etc. .

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ZZoMBiE13

@The_Last_Ride:

WHAT?

WHAT?

WHAT?

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RimacBugatti

I'm pumped! I just can't wait to have the PS4 in my arms. Unfortunately can't play it until Christmas but it will be nestling under the tree. :)

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25 chicknfeet
Member since 2004 • 15630 Posts

I will be skipping the launch day kerfuffle and leave it up to you all. I'm totally fine waiting until the second or third...or fourth wave of consoles are released.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Nope

I bought my Wii U the day of (there was no midnight launch)

I intend to get the PS4 when it gets a more promising library. So far all it has in its future is inFAMOUS, but I know the great 3rd party games will be coming soon enough.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@RimacBugatti said:

I'm pumped! I just can't wait to have the PS4 in my arms. Unfortunately can't play it until Christmas but it will be nestling under the tree. :)

I cant play my xbox one until xmas too oh well

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RimacBugatti

Well I guess we both have to wait together. I was hoping to have the extra money to get an Xbox One also so that I could play one or the other in the mean time but work is slow so not this year. I'm actually more excited about the new consoles more than when I built my computer. I guess it's because the better games in my opinion. Xbox One will be freaking awesome with Forza 5. I really, really, really came close to cancelling my PS4 preorder for a Xbox One when they delayed Driveclub but Need for Speed will have to do for now. But Forza 5 is where it's at. KZSF will be great but I'm burnt out on shooters but the game has wonderful graphics so that will make it more awesome. Less than 48 hours woo whoo!