Will We Ever See Another Creative Charming Game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GamerComplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 GamerComplex
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Everybody's so hooked on realism nowadays that it's hard to imagine we'll see something like Jak and Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Banjo Kazooe, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon etc. Every game I see nowadays has some generic forgettable MC. I would love to see an original, unrealistic character equipped with current gen technology. Thoughts?

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 0

#2 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Yes...

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

-Pikmin 3

-Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

-Super Mario 3D World

they might not be new characters (with the exception of Pikmin 3), but all three are are very creative and charming not to mention exceptionally well designed. All three came out within the past year

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Oddworld remake comes out in a couple weeks

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#6  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Ratchet & Clank is not a franchise I would call creative. In my eyes, it's a rather derivative platformer with ho hum level design.

But there are plenty of creative games out there.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GreySeal9

@geniobastardo said:

Child of Light and Transistor says hello.

Bolded for emphasis. It doesn't get much more creative than Transistor. There isn't anything out there quite like it, which is more than can be said about standard platformers with the oh so typical anthropomorphic animal characters.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

Ratchet & Clank is not a franchise I would call creative. In my eyes, it's a rather derivative platformer with ho hum level design.

Ratchet poops all over Nintendo platformer's, and not because of the platforming. It's an action game really

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#9 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

I see lots of creative charming games out there these days.

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 975 Posts

The only games that ever made me feel like they were creative and charming were Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 back in the days of the snes. No other game I've played since then has captured feel of charm and elegance that those two games had.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@darktruth007 said:

The only games that ever made me feel like they were creative and charming were Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 back in the days of the snes. No other game I've played since then has captured feel of charm and elegance that those two games had.

You have got to play Retro Studio's DK games. They utterly murder what RARE did with far better level design, more interesting scenarios, and far more unified artistic vision/style with far more attention to detail/craftmanship. They also offer a lot more gameplay content and a lot more challenge.

I used to love Rare's DK series back in the day, but I've grown up and seen it has a good number of flaws in its design then Retro came a long and made two essentially perfect games from the IP. The best platforming has to offer.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#13 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Stop playing full priced AAA games. There industry is not short of charming characters. This is your problem with narrowing yourself to a fraction of the industry that doesnt cater to you anymore.

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 975 Posts
@illmatic87 said:

Stop playing full priced AAA games. There industry is not short of charming characters. This is your problem with narrowing yourself to a fraction of the industry that doesnt cater to you anymore.

Dude - you can take your advice and shove it. You don't know me - you don't know what I consider to be charming and you don't know what games I've played. I couldn't really give a crap what you think about my opinion - and I'm certainly not going to bother to defend it to someone who is as crass and rude as you are.

@Pikminmaniac said:

@darktruth007 said:

You have got to play Retro Studio's DK games. They utterly murder what RARE did with far better level design, more interesting scenarios, and far more unified artistic vision/style with far more attention to detail/craftmanship. They also offer a lot more gameplay content and a lot more challenge.

I used to love Rare's DK series back in the day, but I've grown up and seen it has a good number of flaws in its design then Retro came a long and made two essentially perfect games from the IP. The best platforming has to offer.

Well I'm glad you enjoyed them - but they don't come anywhere close to the original DKC games as far as I'm concerned.

They may both be sidescrolling games and feature the same characters - but their approach to designing the atmosphere, tone, music and gameplay for their respective games couldn't be more different.

The original DKC games we're darker and grittier than the new ones, and had a much more primal and organic feal to them. The environments almost looked photorealistic and the music was expertly crafted did a exceptional job of capturing the feel of each environment in the game. In fact it did an incredible job of immersing the player into the world and was one of the best soundtracks availible on the snes.

The current DKC titles on the other-hand are much more cutesy and made to look like a cartoon, rather than striving for realistic looking environments like the first one did. The music was much more generic sounding and heavy-handed - it had none of the elegance of the first two DKC games.

As for game design I much prefered the original's approach. In the first series I could just sit back, relax and coast through the levels that were challenging, but fair. The newer series however just seems so punishing it makes me want to break the controller in half every time I try to play it.

The first two DKC games were an experience unlike any other in gaming. The newest two just seem like decently crafted platforming games.

I wouldn't really call the sequel series a spiritual successor to the originals though - more like a spin-off series that went in a completely different direction.

The original SNES DKC games, however were literally the reason the system sold. The Wii version on the other hand merely amounts to "just another wii game" and not much else.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Why are the zillions of anthropomorphic platformer mascots from the late 90's to early 00's now considered the pinnacle of creativity and charm?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GreySeal9

@Chozofication said:

@GreySeal9 said:

Ratchet poops all over Nintendo platformer's, and not because of the platforming. It's an action game really

You're entitled to that opinion, but lol.

R&C is a pretty medicore from an action game perspective as well. There's no real tension, strategy, or need for skill: taking down enemies requires nothing more than bullet spamming.

I think Insomniac covers up their lack of imagination in the level design department with whacky weapons.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#17 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@GreySeal9: I still hold the original Spyro trilogy as Insomniac's best work. Great platforming challenge, unique world, simple but entertaining gameplay. Ratchet and Clank I thought was fun. The only real issue with those games are their abysmal checkpoint systems.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GreySeal9

@mastermetal777 said:

@GreySeal9: I still hold the original Spyro trilogy as Insomniac's best work. Great platforming challenge, unique world, simple but entertaining gameplay. Ratchet and Clank I thought was fun. The only real issue with those games are their abysmal checkpoint systems.

Loved Spyro: Year of the Dragon. TBH, I feel Insomniac's games got less interesting when their characters got guns.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

forgettable MC....that better not been referencing Master Chief you fucker. If you're looking for charm its right infront of you man open your eyes! little big planet, project spark, any mario game, Sunset Overdrive! Man stop being a depressant/hipster

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

@Chozofication said:

@GreySeal9 said:

You're entitled to that opinion, but lol.

R&C is a pretty medicore from an action game perspective as well. There's no real tension, strategy, or need for skill: taking down enemies requires nothing more than bullet spamming.

I think Insomniac covers up their lack of imagination in the level design department with whacky weapons.

Ratchet has very satisfying gameplay. It's smooth, varied, the game's all look great, the character's are great - it's just a fun, very well made set of games. There's a reason they've kept making them. Well, there's a few crap one's like all 4 one and full frontal assault, but most are gold.

It's about the only "platformer" series I care about now. They have made a ton of them by now, but as long as they keep adding new guns and mechanic's i'll keep playing them, can't wait to see it on ps4.

The kind of platformer's I liked just died in the N64 era, like Banjo Kazooie...

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#21 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I would like to add the awesome and quirky Sly Cooper series as some very charming and creative games.

valentinmann20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 valentinmann20
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

While reading this post, I thought, why, there isn't a game made for iOS platform ,like Diablo, and I mean a well designed game with an interesting concept.

Any suggestions?

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

You obviously haven't been looking hard enough

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Nintendo Land.

Wonderful 101

Mario 3D World.

Pushmo/Crashmo

Kid Icaris Uprising

I read this same complaint consistently yet people bash the one console that really stresses the developers to be creative. "yeah, but the hardware is too weak." Well **** you,