Will Watch Dogs AI be a hit or a dumb failure?

#1 Posted by geniobastardo (919 posts) -

I was about to pre-order the game but after seeing the Welcome to Chicago trailer of Watch Dogs, I developed doubts about the game. Giving every citizen a different face, a different voice and a different way of interaction, it's something new that we're going to see. I don't exactly remember the figures but I read it somewhere that WD features a lot of dialogues ( a lot means a lot) which means once you've heard a thing from an NPC, you're never going to hear it again and the game makes sure of it somehow. The same goes with faces and their stories etc. Pulling out such a tremendous AI is bound to have an impact on the overall game. That impact can either be negative or positive.

AI is a bitch, that's what I would say.It's the most hardest part to create in a game imo. There have been a lot of games before with promises of a refreshing AI but most of them fell flat. The same might be the case with Watch dogs. It's been in development for over 2 years now, the chances are very low that Ubisoft will mess up but still there is a possibility. What if the most anticipated game from Ubisoft in the past 2 years (might not be for you but for some it is so keep calm) fails??

#2 Posted by Cloud_imperium (1824 posts) -

Hopefully , it'll be good enough .

#3 Posted by mastermetal777 (558 posts) -

I think it'll be the most successful new IP of the year (at least until Destiny comes out, then all bets are off). It might not have GTA levels of game sales, but I think it will sell well. Ubisoft has a pretty good track record of quality games. Whether you like the games or not, the Assassin's Creed franchise has had major success with both critics and fans, myself included. Far Cry 3 was my GOTY in 2012, and again, there's quality in that game. And recently, Rayman Legends became one of my all-time favorite platformers for it just being that damn good. Ubisoft isn't known for releasing sub-par games on a regular basis. They do their best to make their games as good as they can be, which is the ultimate reason for the untimely delay it had. I think it will be a surprise hit. But anything can happen, so don't take any of what I said as fact or prophecy. Just take it from a follower and fan of Ubisoft's work.

#4 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2143 posts) -

I think it will be the next AC,milked to the extreme.

#5 Posted by geniobastardo (919 posts) -

I think it will be the next AC,milked to the extreme.

Nope, I don't think so. Milking is inevitable because it's Ubisoft we're talking about but so far by the looks of it, this game is not the least bit like AC.

#6 Posted by Grieverr (2544 posts) -

It'll be a hit just on the hype that's surrounding it. Many people will buy it just to see what it's all about.

I'm concerned about the delays and lack of demo.

#7 Edited by udUbdaWgz1 (465 posts) -

since, most a.i. in most games mostly stink mostly all of the time, i'll not hold my breath for any game.

this aspect of gaming is one of the very WORST parts of gaming. and, i'll just assume it's because of cost, plain and simple. the horrid a.i. has been an issue in gaming for decade after decade after decade, game after game after game and it still reeks of developer ineptitude and a lack of desire and profit margin.

throw in the blatant handholding and dumbing-down of games, as well as, crappy a.i. and you have games all of our 10 year old kids can play without any thought, effort or use of their brains.

#8 Posted by geniobastardo (919 posts) -

since, most a.i. in most games mostly stink mostly all of the time, i'll not hold my breath for any game.

this aspect of gaming is one of the very WORST parts of gaming. and, i'll just assume it's because of cost, plain and simple. the horrid a.i. has been an issue in gaming for decade after decade after decade, game after game after game and it still reeks of developer ineptitude and a lack of desire and profit margin.

throw in the blatant handholding and dumbing-down of games, as well as, crappy a.i. and you have games all of our 10 year old kids can play without any thought, effort or use of their brains.

I agree but I am most astounded by the fact that the amount of "most" you used in your first sentence is most amazing.

#9 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (465 posts) -

@geniobastardo:

lol, I was going to work it in for the second half, but, realized I will never hold my breath and mostly wouldn't have been true :)

#10 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16411 posts) -

Looks like it'll be pretty cool to me. As long as the hacking is well executed.

#11 Posted by geniobastardo (919 posts) -
#12 Posted by geniobastardo (919 posts) -

Looks like it'll be pretty cool to me. As long as the hacking is well executed.

hacking is the backbone. What I'm afraid to see is that while putting so much focus on AI they might ignore other aspects of the game or the game in whole feels unnatural. In short, hacking might be compromised.

#13 Posted by johnd13 (7803 posts) -

For some reason I think there are going to be some issues that will prevent the game from being the masterpiece that got everyone excited when it was first showcased at E3. Nevertheless, I still expect it to be a big hit and at least partially live up to the hype.

#14 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16411 posts) -

@geniobastardo: I sure hope not. I'd rather have dumber AI if it meant having the awesome ability to technologically blow shit up.

#15 Posted by geniobastardo (919 posts) -

@geniobastardo: I sure hope not. I'd rather have dumber AI if it meant having the awesome ability to technologically blow shit up.

same here.

#16 Posted by mastermetal777 (558 posts) -

I don't expect every single AI to behave super intelligently, but it would be nice to see them interacting with the world a bit more instead of just simply being there and only following certain actions according to what they're next to or something. I think it will be more dynamic according to the situation that they're presented in. Like if you're in combat, a set of code will allow the AI to follow a rule set regarding how to defeat a hacker. Criminals will obviously flee a scene and do whatever it takes to run, including run through and over stuff.

#17 Posted by Jacanuk (3695 posts) -

I was about to pre-order the game but after seeing the Welcome to Chicago trailer of Watch Dogs, I developed doubts about the game. Giving every citizen a different face, a different voice and a different way of interaction, it's something new that we're going to see. I don't exactly remember the figures but I read it somewhere that WD features a lot of dialogues ( a lot means a lot) which means once you've heard a thing from an NPC, you're never going to hear it again and the game makes sure of it somehow. The same goes with faces and their stories etc. Pulling out such a tremendous AI is bound to have an impact on the overall game. That impact can either be negative or positive.

AI is a bitch, that's what I would say.It's the most hardest part to create in a game imo. There have been a lot of games before with promises of a refreshing AI but most of them fell flat. The same might be the case with Watch dogs. It's been in development for over 2 years now, the chances are very low that Ubisoft will mess up but still there is a possibility. What if the most anticipated game from Ubisoft in the past 2 years (might not be for you but for some it is so keep calm) fails??

Why didn't you just ask for the lotto numbers as well while you're at it.

How would anyone know anything about a game they haven't even played , based on the footage it seems like its going to be a decent game, even though from what i have seen the story and mission design seems a bit "Meh".

#18 Posted by geniobastardo (919 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@geniobastardo said:

Why didn't you just ask for the lotto numbers as well while you're at it.

How would anyone know anything about a game they haven't even played , based on the footage it seems like its going to be a decent game, even though from what i have seen the story and mission design seems a bit "Meh".

the question isn't that watch dogs will be good or not but it's its AI which bothers me. As I said, I didn't pre-order the game because of it, is it really going to be like what they're saying or it'll just end up as a bluff??