Will This New Nvidia Mobile Chip Kill Consoles

This topic is locked from further discussion.

VidGamer_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 VidGamer_basic
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts

With this announcement of nvidia new moblie chip will this eventually be the demise of consoles and games as we know it.  I though that most people on tablets don't care about big console like experience.

Avatar image for Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Enfamous_Mr_BHC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Member since 2013 • 177 Posts
I really don't think so. Nvidia might be butt hurt at Microsoft and Sony but they won't kill console gaming with that chip for so many reasons I won't list right now
isv666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 isv666
Member since 2005 • 161 Posts

Pretty sure it won't.  It might make mobile developers step their game up a bit, but the experiences on a console versus some mobile platform are worlds different.  They also appeal to entirely different audiences.  I would say most of your mobile gamers aren't the same type of person who would necessarily sit in front of a console and play a game.

Avatar image for AbstractRadical
AbstractRadical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AbstractRadical
Member since 2013 • 632 Posts
I do not think it will kill console games but it will be able to bring gaming into another golden age.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#5 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

No

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts
No. Next question.
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#7 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

I still don't understand why people have convinced themselves that mobile gaming is going to overtake traditional console gaming.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#8 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I still don't understand why people have convinced themselves that mobile gaming is going to overtake traditional console gaming.Lucky_Krystal

I don't understand it, either. The two can co-exist just fine. Why everything has to be question of "is this going to kill off X thing?" is beyond me.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
1. No one wants to game on a tiny screen 2. The more processing power the more heat is generated, a big nono for portable devices 3. Gaming on a tablet is impractical: either you use those god awful virtual controls or you connect a controller, but in that case you need to buy a stand and at that point you might as well be gaming on a regular TV
SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
While the new Nvidia Tegra4 chip and any future portable chips are powerful, you have to remember that these are there mostly to power devises that do not have gaming as their main purpose. Those chips are for phones and tablets which are as multifunction as you can get and are going to be used for gaming as much as it is for speedy web browsing, running applications better, take faster HDR images, HD video recording and playback etc. Tablets and phones are not dedicated game machines so these will never have deep scope enthusiast games as the ones found in consoles or PC. Not to mention that touch screens are not suited to be good game controllers beyond simple touching ans swiping motions. Yeah I could play a really graphically intensive FPS or Racing game on my phone, but that doesn't mean I want to because trying to play those games with touch screens and accelerometers input are a stop gap measure at best. Even if you where to plug a tablet to an HDTV and use a Bluetooth controller to play your games, there is just so much a chip can do in comparison to a big machine build from the ground up for gaming and that have always been intended to tap power from an electrical outlet and not from a battery.
Maiken100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Maiken100
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

lol hell no.

Alpha_S_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points