Will I like Saints Row 1&2 if I really enjoyed Saints 3&4?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xisiuizado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Xisiuizado
Member since 2014 • 592 Posts

I just finished Saints 4 last night and had a blast! It was the same with Saints 3. I'm considering trying Saints 1 & 2 after playing How the Saints Saved Christmas tonight, however, everything I've read points to those games being more Grand Theft Auto and less Saints Row.

Thus, if you have played and enjoyed the last two wacky Saints games and played either of the first two, would you recommend playing them or just skipping them altogether?

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3218 Posts

I haven't played SR 1 since I don't own a Xbox 360 and I do own SR4 but haven't played it yet. But I will say this I liked SR2 more then 3 because it has the better gangs then SR3 did and the fact that the city is much better as well. The city in SR3 felt very empty at times and had many boring parts while in SR2 the city was much bigger and better with more variety in it then SR3 did and I liked the missions more as well. Don't get me wrong I liked SR3 but I felt that SR2 is much better.

However the graphics for SR2 aged very badly and SR2 is less wacky then SR3 but to be honest this is why I liked 2 more then 3 to be honest.. So if you like a old school GTA games then you will like SR2 but if not and you enjoyed the crazy stuff that SR3 and 4 did you might not feel the same love for SR2 but for me SR2 is really awesome and you should still check it out.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7255 Posts

They are great, but just play Saint's Row 2 as it is basically a better version of SR1. You won't be smacking people with dildo's or flying around on hover-bikes, but it's still good fun. I like the mission structure in SR2. The premiss is you are trying to retake your territory from 3 rival gangs and you can choose to take them out one at a time, or switch back and forth to fight them all at once. There's quite a bit of variety to these missions too, even more so than in SR3.

Let's put it like this, if GTA is Goodfellas, and SR3 is Pineapple Express, SR2 would fall somewhere in the middle like Fast and Furious or Die Hard. Hope this was helpful.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I loved SR 3 & 4, but I personally didn't really get into SR 2 (never tried SR1)

Xisiuizado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Xisiuizado

Thanks for the insight! I appreciate the time you took to respond. It looks like I'll buy Saints 2 when it's on a digital sale. Thanks again. :)

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#6 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I've enjoyed SR3 and SR4 considerably. I've also played SR2 and didn't care for it quite as much. It's definitely on a completely different level as far as difficulty compared to the most recent games. I think I actually ended up using cheats to get through it because of instances of infinitely spawning enemies and other BS. SR2 also takes itself somewhat seriously at times as far the story goes. I definitely didn't hate the game, but I'm sure whether to recommend it or not since you've already played 3 & 4 and I played SR2 before those games. I guess if you're interested in some of the characters' backgrounds and don't mind if the graphics have aged a bit, you may as well give it a try.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I liked 1 and 2. Hated 3 and 4. It changed a lot after number 2.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

2 was great. 3 is when the series started going really "over the top" but the second game was one of the more solid entries in the series and I actually liked it a lot better than 1 and 3. Decent storytelling and a really solid voice cast made it that much better. SR3 was good, too, but it felt a little bit scattered compared to 2 which had a really solid story.

SR4 was probably my favorite of the series. Actually the only SR game I never got around to beating was 1, because that one basically was a GTA clone and was before the series really distinguishing itself from GTA with its own crazy personality.

-Byshop

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#9 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I played Saints Row 3 and loved it a lot. I did play the original Saints Row after that but i didnt like it at all. Its completely different and not nearly as fun and open ended and crazy.

I havent tried Saints Row 2 yet but its likely better then SR1. The series got good when they made Saints Row 3, this is the crazy type of game i like to play. I'm looking forward to when they make a full out sequel.

Jetsfan122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jetsfan122
Member since 2011 • 124 Posts

@xisiuizado:

On what platform were you planning on purchasing it for ? I may be mistaken , but I remember hearing Saints Row 2 was virtually unplayable on PC due to the enormous number of bugs/glitches . Something to look into if you plan on purchasing it for the PC.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Saints row 2 is the best in the series, it's what I always excepted GTA would become a completely open sim world where you bought businesses and houses and take over territories, still it has the wackiness of saints row and it had tons more side missions than saints 3 I found myself bored of 3 never got bored of 2

Xisiuizado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Xisiuizado

@Jetsfan122:
Thanks for the heads up! It'll be an X360 purchase, but it's still go to know to avoid the PC version in case there's a sale on all five Saints in the future.

To everyone else: Thanks again for your time and the feedback!

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

I finish the first 3 games on xbox 360 Saints row 2>> saints row1>> saints row 3>> saint row 4 i rent the ps3 version. Yesterday i buy the ps4 version i hope finish it

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

@Byshop said:

SR4 was probably my favorite of the series. Actually the only SR game I never got around to beating was 1, because that one basically was a GTA clone and was before the series really distinguishing itself from GTA with its own crazy personality.

-Byshop

I dunno. I only played gta 4, but I never thought the two series were ever similar. Saints row is all about taking over the city while gta focuses on the main character's life and his "hardships" he deals with in the game. I don't think it is that simple really. Of course it has been awhile since I played those games.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

It kind of depends on what you like about 3 and 4. 1 and 2 aren't as over the top crazy, but they basically play the same.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

Well 3 & 4 are the same so that should narrow it down.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@marcheegsr said:

I liked 1 and 2. Hated 3 and 4. It changed a lot after number 2.

Yeah I liked the first two games but after that the series just went downhill from there.