Why Won't My PS2 Play DVDs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zcds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 161

User Lists: 0

#1 zcds
Member since 2005 • 1984 Posts

I got a ps2 and it just won't play dvds. i put them it. it says reading disk for a few seconds then stops. i checked all my settings and nothing helps. They are legal copys of the dvds. Can any one help me out?

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#2 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts

Possibility 1) Your PS2 is old and doesn't read properly anymore. Either replace the lens (which isdn't easy), try cleaning it thoroughly or buy a new one.
Possibility 2) Tinker with system configuration for a while. I had to do this with my first PS2, as it didn't want to read some discs either.

By my guess however, it will be the first.
Oh! If you don't tilt it on it's side, tilt it on its side, so it's upwards instead of laying down. It improves readability for some reason.

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

well how old is your ps2? I've heard of this happening with the old fat ps2s after a while. also its common for the laser to stop reading CDROM games (like OLD ps1 and ps2 games that arent on DVDs). I bet your Laser is just worn out. Good thing you can buy a used ps2 for pretty cheap nowadays. My ps2 is from like 2001 and it still plays DVDs, but it has trouble reading ps1 and some ps2 games. I have to turn my ps2 off, flip it upside down, then turn it back on to read old some games.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

my old ps2 slim did that because of water.

DropTarget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 DropTarget
Member since 2009 • 375 Posts

I went through 3 PS2's last generation with this exact same problem before I gave up and bough a Gamecube. I could not get a PS2 to last me more than a year and a half.

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Talldude80

I went through 3 PS2's last generation with this exact same problem before I gave up and bough a Gamecube. I could not get a PS2 to last me more than a year and a half.

DropTarget

thats just crazy. I'm still on my first ps2 from 2001. but for 3 of them to break so quickly, thats just bad luck. I bet the new slim ps2 works much better.

zcds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 zcds

I do have a fat ps2, so that might be it, too old. Thanks for the help ill try what you guys said.

legwarmers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 legwarmers
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I had a similar problem with my fat PS2; that it would play some dvds not all. From what I remember one of the solutions for me was I had to upgrade the firmware, the catch was it was on the disc that came with the PS2 remote control. If you can find someone that has that disc it might solve your problem.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Daavpuke

@zods: don't forget to tell us how that works out!

zcds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 zcds

It dose play some dvds but not others. It played a dvd from guitar world and thats all i could get to work. I guess I'll have to find that update disk.

amsfm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 amsfm6
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

Get one of those CD lens cleaner discs that have the little brush on them, worked like a charm when I had DVD reading problems.

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Talldude80

Get one of those CD lens cleaner discs that have the little brush on them, worked like a charm when I had DVD reading problems.

amsfm6

i might have to try that too. to help my ps2 play some older games. flipping the thing upside down to play games just doesnt seem safe (even though it works with virtua fighter 4 and Twisted metal black)

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Daavpuke
[QUOTE="Talldude80"]

[QUOTE="amsfm6"]

i might have to try that too. to help my ps2 play some older games. flipping the thing upside down to play games just doesnt seem safe (even though it works with virtua fighter 4 and Twisted metal black)

I have my PS2 upright the entire time. If you're really worried about it, you can always buy a cheap pedestal for it. I have a lens cleaner, but it's only a temporary solution on my PS2's I've owned. I'd say it'll give you an extra year on it though.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#14 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts
[QUOTE="Talldude80"]

[QUOTE="DropTarget"]

thats just crazy. I'm still on my first ps2 from 2001. but for 3 of them to break so quickly, thats just bad luck. I bet the new slim ps2 works much better.

bs , , thats not bad luck ive been through 7 of them with either a disc read error problem or a av problem -my last ps2 slim 9000 brand new 4 months old died cause of that problem and my first slim overheated and blew a fuse-i found out later the cause was a recall by sony , , and the 3 fat units i had 2 yrs in each had the disc read problem so thank you very much and only went through 4 ps1s which had bad eyes or blown fuses, playstations used to be as bad as a 360 today but the ps3 is not that way so thank goodness cause i wont be getting another ps3 until its 199,99 ,, \ which doesnt seem like ill need one because my launch 60 gig still works and my new slim still is new enough barely using it , so ya ,