Why isn't there any 'Vampire' games?

#1 Posted by thegamingjunkie (197 posts) -

I'm just really surprised to see how little vampire-themed games there are out there for consoles and PC. The Sims 3 (late night/Supernatural) is the only game I can think of with vampires in it (bah).

Or typically just any supernatural creatures in it. I know The Order series for Playstation has werewolves-kind of things in it (Lycans). Most games are contemporary action, exploration, zombies, super powers, shooting, etc.

Like, what's up with all the game developers and stuff?

#2 Posted by sukraj (22133 posts) -

have you played buffy the vampire slayer on the original Xbox.

#3 Posted by loafofgame (469 posts) -

Weren't vampires mainly cool during the late 90's and early 00's? I don't know. Oh no, wait, Twilight was something recent, right? And Vampire Diaries and True Blood? Maybe they're a bit too kitschy and focused on relationships now? Oh well, apparently Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines was a great game, so you never know...

But I agree, there's too little thematic variety in videogames.

#4 Posted by thegamingjunkie (197 posts) -

@sukraj: nope, but I did hear the show was something of a gem XD I do want to try it tho

#5 Posted by thegamingjunkie (197 posts) -

@loafofgame: omg lol yea totally agree. These days are mostly based around romance. Can't imagine "twilight" or vampire diaries as games- I would hate to see twilight even made as a video game. But maybe the different concept of supernatural creatures in True Blood and the world can be worked with (some potential)... leaving the romance out of course.

#6 Posted by Krelian-co (10374 posts) -

We need Twilight the game!

#7 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (763 posts) -

One word. Castlevania.

#8 Posted by sukraj (22133 posts) -

@sukraj: nope, but I did hear the show was something of a gem XD I do want to try it tho

if u still have the original xbox i would pick it up if u can get hold of the game.

#9 Posted by MuD3 (1218 posts) -

legacy of kain

#10 Edited by sukraj (22133 posts) -

@MuD3 said:

legacy of kain

i forgot about that game.

#11 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

Actually in terms of Function, theres quite a ffew Vampire games.

#12 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (18280 posts) -
#13 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18280 posts) -
#14 Posted by thegamingjunkie (197 posts) -
#15 Posted by SovietsUnited (1915 posts) -

@MuD3 said:

legacy of kain

#16 Edited by Krelian-co (10374 posts) -
#17 Edited by Planeforger (15535 posts) -

How did we get 16 posts in without mentioning the definitive vampire game (and one of the best RPGs of the past decade), Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines?

*edit* Ah, someone did. So...how did we get 16 posts into this thread without 15 posts being about Vampire Bloodlines?

#18 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@Planeforger

I'm more concerned no one mentioned Raiden from Metal Gear Rising. :)

#19 Edited by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

Castlevania Lords of Shadows series was a breathe of fresh air. It was a gem in a sea of piss and shit. Most of the vampire games get disgusting reviews and the games are even more disgusting. Wonder why no big AAA focuses on this and make a big budgeted game based on vampires.

#20 Edited by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -
#21 Edited by xWoW_Rougex (2755 posts) -

Already been mentioned but I still want to give a shout out to Vampires: The Masquerade Bloodlines. Any wrpg or vampire fans need to play this.

#22 Edited by foxhound_fox (87693 posts) -

Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines is definitely something you should consider playing. However, it is a role-playing heavy game that someone who (and I don't mean to sound condescending or anything) only knew about vampires in The Sims might find a little overwhelming.

There are tons of vampire games out there.

#23 Posted by Byshop (11157 posts) -

@thegamingjunkie: If you include just any game that has vampires in it somewhere, there are actually a lot. It really depends on what you mean by "Vampire Themed". Games that have vampires as enemies but where the entire game isn't necessarily focussed on vampires, then any Castlevania game or similar monster-style action game would count. If you mean games where you actually play as a vampire, then the already mentioned Legacy of Kain games are mostly pretty good. The BloodRayne games technically count but they are horrible. The best examples, though, are the "Vampire - The Masquerade" games with "Bloodlines" (also already mentioned) being the best. It's a deeply flawed game, but it's a first person RPG like Deus Ex but based on the White Wolf pen and paper Vampire RPG. It's a deeply flawed game, but its rough points in execution are made up for by awesome ideas, atmosphere, writing and soundtrack. It has a rabid fan following and the community continues to patch the game to this day even though the developer folded 6 months after the game's release.

-Byshop

#24 Edited by Threesixtyci (4283 posts) -

Heh.. looks like everyone forgot about the Elder Scrolls series.
Also known as Skyrim....

#25 Edited by udUbdaWgz1 (631 posts) -

there are no pure "vampire" games because developers don't have the creativity to create a money-making one.

they'll talk about demographics and consumer needs, instead.

edit: lol, skyrim isn't a "vampire" game, lol.

#26 Posted by RimacBugatti (1192 posts) -

@thegamingjunkie: Your right about that! There really isn't much to play anymore. It's all the same old crap.

#27 Edited by Ish_basic (3998 posts) -

@loafofgame said:

Weren't vampires mainly cool during the late 90's and early 00's? I don't know. Oh no, wait, Twilight was something recent, right? And Vampire Diaries and True Blood? Maybe they're a bit too kitschy and focused on relationships now? Oh well, apparently Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines was a great game, so you never know...

But I agree, there's too little thematic variety in videogames.

The Strain looks like it's trying to bring back the time when Vamps were monsters and not boyfriends. I enjoyed the first episode.

Really, it's because of zombies. They've pretty much taken the spotlight away from every other classic horror monster.

Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age will probably have vamps in it and the new LoK has vamp vs human multiplayer. There are also the Van Helsing ARPGs, which are good, though the gameplay is not exclusively relegated to vampire hunting.

#28 Posted by gameofthering (10134 posts) -

You should watch it (It's on Netflix)

It's really good.

#29 Posted by Jeager_Titan (945 posts) -

Well there is the recent vampire theme game called Dark but its a giant turd of a game.