Why is the nintendo WFI USB connector so damn troublesome?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

snakeofsolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 snakeofsolid
Member since 2005 • 2140 Posts

I thought this dongle POS was supposed to be easy and simple, Oh sure itll work when i install it and run, but the moment i decide to TURN OFF MY PC, and or DISABLE the dongle because i think its getting too hot. I have to reinstall the entire product, because my Wii and DS will somehow actually FIND the thing, but not be able to connect to the internet until i reinstall the junk. I PUT ALL OF MY FIREWALLS down, yet it still hates to connect.

Someone with the Datel Wifi max please tell me it doesnt hate mcafee and doesnt hate being shut down.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts
Ever thought about getting wireless internet? You can get a free router and probably a better price by simply changing ISPs and you can still hardwire it via ethernet to your desktop?
paullyrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 paullyrock
Member since 2006 • 47 Posts
Yah I had trouble with the damn thing for a while but now it seems to be working well. I guess just go to nintendo and it has detailed instructions on how to get it to work and stay that way.
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts
I never got my stupid Datel Wireless wifi dongle to work so I went over to a linksys router and have not had an ounce of trouble with it.
snakeofsolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 snakeofsolid

I never got my stupid Datel Wireless wifi dongle to work so I went over to a linksys router and have not had an ounce of trouble with it.roboccs

damn guess i should just grab a wireless router, the only reason i refrained from doing so is because i didnt want to go into the router settings...open all those ports again, type in my ISP login, its such a hassle.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

I've heard a lot of people having problems with the USB WiFi adapter, actually.

Wireless routers are cheap enough now that jumping from the dongle to a full-fledged router is only about a ten dollar difference. Granted, it won't bea fancy router, but it works (heck, I'm using a $10 Wireless G ****** router that was a boxing day sale).

The only real downside to using a full router comes if you live in an apartment building or condo, as the DS only supports the most archaic and easily broken form of wireless security- WEP. The Wii supports WPA2 (I think), so it's less of an issue, but every time I want to use my DS online I end up turning the wireless on and off because I know there are at least a dozen people who could leech my connection if they wanted.

Shillster89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shillster89
Member since 2007 • 1508 Posts
the problem that I have with my nintendo wifi connector is that it always freezes my computer, so i can only go online for like 20 minutes max at a time. its pretty stupid, and the wierd thing is, when i first got it, it did the same thing, but after a few months it was fine, and didn't freeze the comp. at all, but its back to freezing it again. I have no idea what is wrong with the thing either.
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts
Well for one thing - when you turn off your PC your turning off the USB ports too... you have to keep you PC on constnatly to use the WIFI...
NECR0CHILD313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 NECR0CHILD313
Member since 2006 • 7025 Posts
The only trouble I've ever had out of it was the result of a firewall doing whatever the hell it wanted to.
snakeofsolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 snakeofsolid

Well for one thing - when you turn off your PC your turning off the USB ports too... you have to keep you PC on constnatly to use the WIFI...Netherscourge

thats not the problem though, im aware of that, but when i do turn on my PC again, the wifi should come on again with it, instead it doesnt for some reason, and i have to do a multitude of things to get it back on, either unplug and replug it, or actually compeletely reinstall the usb connector, and thats not right at all.