Why is Mario so popular?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

So i see people just loving Mario games and I hate them. They are very hard with simple control and the Mario character is super lame.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts
I find him and the many characters in the game to be simple yet quite endearing. The same can be said for the stories in the games as wel. The gameplay is usually quite refined. I also enjoy the very colourful look and feel of the games.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
I find him and the many characters in the game to be simple yet quite endearing. The same can be said for the stories in the games as wel. The gameplay is usually quite refined. I also enjoy the very colourful look and feel of the games.Archangel3371
This. The controls are refined and allow a huge variety of moves. I love the difficulty of most Mario games, though NSMB 2 was too easy.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
its a quality franchise that has stood the test of time...and then some. it appeals to almost everyone in some form.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

1.Face of one of the biggest video game companies in the world

2.Over 20 years old

3.Usually high quality

4.Family friendly

5.Very simple to learn, anyone can play it

6.Nice and colorful

7.Advertising, advertising, advertising.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#6 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

1.Face of one of the biggest video game companies in the world

2.Over 20 years old

3.Usually high quality

4.Family friendly

5.Very simple to learn, anyone can play it

6.Nice and colorful

7.Advertising, advertising, advertising.

crimsonman1245
Pretty much this. Mario is one of the first most popular franchises, and has remained that way for a very long time. High appeal to many, especially casual gamers.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Well Mario pretty much single-handedly saved the video game industry in the 80s, so..

JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JuanGrande386
Member since 2003 • 1116 Posts

So i see people just loving Mario games and I hate them. They are very hard with simple control and the Mario character is super lame.

alim298

You must be 14 years old right? Anyone 20 or older would know why Mario was/is so popular. 

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

i havent really enjoyed Mario since Super Mario World

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

it's the moustache man

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 alim298

[QUOTE="alim298"]

JuanGrande386

You must be 14 years old right? Anyone 20 or older would know why Mario was/is so popular. 

I played Mario on Atari when I was a kid and all I remember from it is the sound that is played when you die (which was very annoying) and hard unbeatable game

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
They are very hardalim298
Madness
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

[QUOTE="JuanGrande386"]

[QUOTE="alim298"]

alim298

I played Mario on Atari when I was a kid and all I remember from it is the sound that is played when you die (which was very annoying) and hard unbeatable game

Well you should play Super Mario Bros. on NES. That is the game that made Mario popular.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 alim298

[QUOTE="alim298"]

[QUOTE="JuanGrande386"]

lazyathew

Well you should play Super Mario Bros. on NES. That is the game that made Mario popular.

Thanks for the advice. I hope this changes my mind.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

If you play video games at all then you are playing them in the house that Mario built. Best platforming franchise ever hands down.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#16 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Mario is consistently the best platformer series. The controls are simple and the platforming is also and the games are fun.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Mario is the face of video games because it appeals to everyone both young and old, casual and hardcore. Casual gamers can enjoy and beat the games, and hardcore gamers can enjoy collecting everything while mastering the games.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

because he's gaming'smost popular icon and even to ths day his games continue to be good.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Mario's pure.  It's great gameplay to its most basic level and it's executed well.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#20 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69362 Posts
Mario is popular because unlike any other franchise its the most whored out in gaming history. There are more Mario games than anything else. So you will be hard pressed to find someone who isn't aware of the brand after being plastered on so many games.
StaticOnTV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 StaticOnTV
Member since 2013 • 597 Posts

Well Mario pretty much single-handedly saved the video game industry in the 80s, so..

JML897
Incorrect, single handedly??
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Basically

-Top notch responsive controls

-Incredibly well designed leves with great hidden collectibles and secrets

-Easy entry level, but also offers high level of challenge for those who want it

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts
I've wondered this myself. I've been a gamer all my life but have never been a mario fan.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Mario is one of the handful of core franchises (along with Zelda and Metroid) that Nintendo's core console fans became fixated on during the ongoing drought of third party support that started with the N64 and continues to this day. They always liked Mario/Zelda/Metroid but as time passed they lost interest in all else. Even late in the N64 era hits like Goldeneye could emerge from left field, but the reception to quality games like RE4 and Xenoblade was remarkably cool in later generations.

After the early days of the GC (where games like Eternal Darkness and Miyamoto's Pikmin failed to make a dent, while anything with Mario flew off the shelves), third parties and Nintendo decided to work with or around the obsession rather than fighting it (see the screenshot below).

ngbbs4f984a3268a91.jpg

JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JuanGrande386
Member since 2003 • 1116 Posts

Mario is popular because unlike any other franchise its the most whored out in gaming history. There are more Mario games than anything else. So you will be hard pressed to find someone who isn't aware of the brand after being plastered on so many games.Pedro

Isnt there like 12 Call Of Duty games on the Xbox 360??? How many Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk games were made before they killed them off??? Yes there is tons of Mario games but come on thats Nintendos bread and butter besides Zelda and they continue to sell millions of copies.

GustaveIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GustaveIV
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Every jump causes so much tension. Classic drama in a simple push of the button.
Solid_Snake325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 Solid_Snake325
Member since 2006 • 6091 Posts
His legacy mainly, pretty much brought video gaming into the mainstream. These days though, I'm not seeing anything really impressive.
nate206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nate206
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

While the mood of these games is often light, childish, (almost annoying so for me), the level design in a lot of these games is brilliant. I was very impressed by the Mario Galaxy games. I thought Mario's sun had set, but those games proved otherwise.  As for the mood, sometimes I guess I need it. Last week I finished Spec Ops the Line which kinda messed me up :)  Mario Galaxy to the rescue!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#29 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
because he is awesome ? :D
Suikojin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Suikojin
Member since 2005 • 333 Posts

Mario himself is simple and yet, he has so much personality, along with the rest of the cast! And not only that but the games are generally really well done. The quality of the games is what gets me.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JML897

[QUOTE="JML897"]

StaticOnTV

People bought the NES because they wanted to play Mario in the same way that people bought Wiis because they wanted to play Wii Sports (SMB was obviously a more important game than Wii Sports since the industry didn't need saving when the Wii came along).

So yeah, I would say Mario just about single-handedly saved the industry.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 The_Last_Ride

[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"][QUOTE="JML897"]

JML897

People bought the NES because they wanted to play Mario in the same way that people bought Wiis because they wanted to play Wii Sports (SMB was obviously a more important game than Wii Sports since the industry didn't need saving when the Wii came along).

So yeah, I would say Mario just about single-handedly saved the industry.

i would agree with that
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44547 Posts
hard? what are you 12 and your first Mario game was NSMB?
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Some of the greatest games ever made are Mario.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 The_Last_Ride
Some of the greatest games ever made are Mario.YoshiYogurt
that is so true
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]Some of the greatest games ever made are Mario.The_Last_Ride
that is so true

ANother cool thing about mario is that even his "spin-offs" can be very successful and quality games and create their own series, Just look at Paper Mario and Mario Kart.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19563 Posts
I'd like to add 'near-perfect platforming controls' to the list. I'd struggle to think of a platformer with better controls than a Mario title, and that makes all other platformers feel slightly weaker in comparison.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 The_Last_Ride

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"][QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]Some of the greatest games ever made are Mario.DJ-Lafleur

that is so true

ANother cool thing about mario is that even his "spin-offs" can be very successful and quality games and create their own series, Just look at Paper Mario and Mario Kart.

don't forget Smash Bros either
MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

I know why Mario is so popular but that doesnt mean I have to like him.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

It's hard not to like Mario.

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

It was one of the first games that actually had an end, He revolutionized platforming with Super Mario 3 & Super Mario World, and then pretty much set the standard for 3D camera/character control with Super Mario 64. And then Super Mario Galaxy pretty much gave us the most expertly designed platforming levels ever, its near perfect scores are proof of that.

And I don't think Mario is that "milked" sure they're a lot of different series involving him but they usually only get 1 game per console. So for example since 1996 there have been only four 3D Mario games, the Wii got 2 of them. Same with Mario Kart, Paper Mario and the 2D marios except for the NES which got 3.

Also keep in mind Mario is almost 30 years old now. Actually he is 30 if you count the Mario Bros arcade game as his first game instead of Super Mario Bros on NES/Famicom.

GrimIock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GrimIock
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Because he stars in games that are of a consistently high quality.
ESPM400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ESPM400
Member since 2011 • 96 Posts
Okay, I was hoping that this thread would die, and that I could hold my tongue, but it didn't, and I can't. Being as I'm someone who has actually been alive for every Mario release, I can say unequivocally that development of the series peaked at SMB 64. Every single game after that is Nintendo cashing in on sheep buying a product that hasn't changed in any significant way in almost 30 years. I may be a cynical asshol*, but I can't abide their business strategy. Mario, Zelda, and Metroid have all been around since '85, '86, and '87 respectively (longer for Mario if you count Donkey Kong). Stop milking a franchise like it's your only form of sustenance and come up with something new. All the Mario series has brought to the table in the last decade is some graphical updates and some gimmicks. Although I've said it before, and it will be a sad day when it actually happens, Nintendo is going to go the same way as Sega in the next five years or so if they don't pull their respective heads out of their own posteriors with due haste. EDIT: @Vickman178, since his inception in Donkey Kong, Mario has been featured in almost 200 games. If you don't call that 'milking it,' I don't know what you can.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#46 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69362 Posts

Okay, I was hoping that this thread would die, and that I could hold my tongue, but it didn't, and I can't. Being as I'm someone who has actually been alive for every Mario release, I can say unequivocally that development of the series peaked at SMB 64. Every single game after that is Nintendo cashing in on sheep buying a product that hasn't changed in any significant way in almost 30 years. I may be a cynical asshol*, but I can't abide their business strategy. Mario, Zelda, and Metroid have all been around since '85, '86, and '87 respectively (longer for Mario if you count Donkey Kong). Stop milking a franchise like it's your only form of sustenance and come up with something new. All the Mario series has brought to the table in the last decade is some graphical updates and some gimmicks. Although I've said it before, and it will be a sad day when it actually happens, Nintendo is going to go the same way as Sega in the next five years or so if they don't pull their respective heads out of their own posteriors with due haste.ESPM400

Say it ain't so? :o Mario milked? Absurd. The games that really milked is COD. :|

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Okay, I was hoping that this thread would die, and that I could hold my tongue, but it didn't, and I can't. Being as I'm someone who has actually been alive for every Mario release, I can say unequivocally that development of the series peaked at SMB 64. Every single game after that is Nintendo cashing in on sheep buying a product that hasn't changed in any significant way in almost 30 years. I may be a cynical asshol*, but I can't abide their business strategy. Mario, Zelda, and Metroid have all been around since '85, '86, and '87 respectively (longer for Mario if you count Donkey Kong). Stop milking a franchise like it's your only form of sustenance and come up with something new. All the Mario series has brought to the table in the last decade is some graphical updates and some gimmicks. Although I've said it before, and it will be a sad day when it actually happens, Nintendo is going to go the same way as Sega in the next five years or so if they don't pull their respective heads out of their own posteriors with due haste. EDIT: @Vickman178, since his inception in Donkey Kong, Mario has been featured in almost 200 games. If you don't call that 'milking it,' I don't know what you can.ESPM400
If you're going to use terms like "sheep", take your comments to System Wars.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#48 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Well with mario there isn't much to hate. It is simple, but there is room for self-created challenges. The series never tries to follow what's popular at the time. For example, Dead Space 3 is getting hated on at the moment for straying towards more of a third-person action shooter (same with Dead Space 2), but Mario doesn't do this. Of course, Mario reinvents itself every now and then (Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy, etc.), but it never reinvents itself to follow the crowd. Also even when it does change things up, it still goes back to its roots and releases games that are more traditional of it. There's something for everyone with Mario which cannot be said for most games.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JML897

Well with mario there isn't much to hate. It is simple, but there is room for self-created challenges. The series never tries to follow what's popular at the time. For example, Dead Space 3 is getting hated on at the moment for straying towards more of a third-person action shooter (same with Dead Space 2), but Mario doesn't do this. Of course, Mario reinvents itself every now and then (Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy, etc.), but it never reinvents itself to follow the crowd. Also even when it does change things up, it still goes back to its roots and releases games that are more traditional of it. There's something for everyone with Mario which cannot be said for most games.Minishdriveby

Reading your post made me think of how some other developers would have gone with a Mario "reboot" to make him darker and grittier (see Bomberman Act Zero). I'm glad Nintendo's never really done that.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

The closest a Mario related game has come to being dark and gritty is Luigi's Mansion.