Why I will Continue to Preorder Games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#1 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

Ok, before you jump down my throat let me say a disclaimer:

I used to preorder most video games. I knew if I was going to buy the game day one then why not get the pre-order bonus? But as we all know last year showed that it wasn't worth pre-ordering anymore, that being the paying beta team didn't work out and that patches were inevitable and that when the price drops would now hit a few months down the line, so it began to make sense to wait and then pick up and enjoy the game.

However, sometimes it just doesn't make sense not to preorder. Here's why. I do my purchasing through a store that often gives $10 gift cards for prerodering, I automatically get 20% of every new video game I purchase because I am a member. I'm not here to advertise for said company (many of you will know which company I am talking about). I am merely saying that I cannot remember the last time I paid $60 for a game (which is why I laugh at the thought of going digital and paying full price). Heck, usually I won't be paying much more than $40 for a game and in the case of one up coming release because I have a $10 off coupon I probably won't be paying more than $30 for this particular game. Now if no extra MONETARY bonuses are offered (I pledge to no longer care about preorder costume or weapon DLC), if a game is simply the 20% off I will wait for reviews and for all the day one purchases and the inevitable internet videos and streaming of gameplay to see what the game is like.

We live in a day and age where everyone is talking about video games, streaming gameplay of them and where inevitable price drops will make waiting worth it. However, there are still valid reasons to preorder, for me, most of them are monetary reasons. That is all, you may now commence hating me and ripping my argument to shreds.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

I always wait for a sale.... games are expensive in my country.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

imho most games just aren't worth a purchase upon release, and the select few that are I usually just buy when they come out because most of the time the trinkets they lure you in for pre-ordering are just junk.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44139 Posts

I pre-order sometimes but not often because most of the games I get are pretty easily available when they release. I pre-order if I like the bonus offers or if I think a game may have limited supplies although sometimes I've pre-ordered simply because I could and it can be nice to have the game already bought and paid for on release.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56066 Posts

If your going to pre-order, do it the right way and do your research like at Target for example, sometimes they do pre-order on some games that are consider popular in demands. By pre-ordering a game at Target, I pay only a $1 and when I go to pick up my copy, I get a $5 gift card from them and that's what I call a Hell of a deal. Gamestop sucks, put $5 and nothing good in return other then points, and few DLC I bet but Gamestop are the worst when it comes to pre-orders. Also I'm pretty much going digital this gen and I like the pre-downloading but don't worry, I do my research when it comes to games I'm buying and I go to different game sites to get all the data I need on a game before I pre-order digital game.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

It's sad that people have to defend why they pre-order now. You don't need to defend what you buy your money with and when you buy it. But I'm just assuming this topic is in response to all the people being assholes about other people pre-ordering, claiming they're ruining the industry and whatnot. If you're interested in a game and want to play it day 1, then by all means go and ahead and pre-order it. If it's a game people are excited for, it's going to sell a lot anyway. If the game ends up being crappy, then that's going to hurt for the developers later on when they pump out a sequel.

If anything, I just want to see pre-order bonuses go away. I don't like that you have to commit to buying the game right as it releases to receive all of its content with some games anymore. But I'm still not going to pull out my pitchforks and viciously attack or preach to anyone who mentions pre-ordering a game.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I preorder a lot of games that call my attention, I get gifts in some ( simple things like a mug, a cup, a T shirt or whatever, the catch is that those are made for and only to preorders and in a certain way become collectibles and I´m a sucker for collectibles ), other times I get DLCs and the best of all for me, I can pay it pretty much the way I want it ( normally I go and deposit 6.5 UD every week until it´s paid ) and if for whatever reason I decide not to purchase the game I can get my money back ( not in store credit but hard cash .... which I finally end up blowing in the store ), right now I only have one preoder in process ( BAK ), I´m almost through, time to preorder something else ( maybe Uncharted 4 ) and I have another one already paid ( Dying Light ).

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

If it works for you then hell yeah... you should do it.... don't let us make you feel bad about it.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#9 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Dude, don't feel like you have to justify anything you do to us! We are just random people on the internet who you will never meet, it's your cash, so you spend it however you like!

Me personally though, I always keep an open mind with everything.....sometimes I preorder and sometimes I don't.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Used to pre prefer a lot on consoles and I needed to for some games.

If I never pre ordered gta5 I wouldn't have been able to get it launch night.

However now I only game in PC I don't see any advantage as you can download it in a few minutes once you have paid for it.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

As far as extra content goes, pre-ordering these days is literally pointless if you don't have an online console connection (which I don't have).

Seriously developers... **** you all for saying you get this extra content, but you actually need some silly little code to download it.

Most new games down here cost $79.95 - $99.95 anyway, and I'm nowhere near as passionate about video games as I used to be.

With the rare exception, there's little point in me not waiting for a price drop.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I used to preorder but it got to be pointless when I switched to pc gaming. Why give a company my money in advanced when these publishers constantly prove they are willing to release broken and untested products that should have been far from release. Hell even with the savings you get if I was to apply them to Canadian game prices I'd still be paying $60 a game which is absurd for something that has been chopped into tiny DLC bits to be sold to me later for a higher price then the full original game if you get them all. I personally feel the pr-order is a large reason game companies feel they can release unfinished games. Cash flow enters before release showing interest, publisher pushes for harder deadlines because of said interest, game company can't keep up. RELEASE BROKEN PRODUCT!. Repeat.

The last three games I preordered turned out to be giant broken unfinished products so needless to say I won't be doing it ever again. I'll wait to see if the company actually put out a finished and working product before I'm willing to pay out at such a steep price of $80 or $60 if it's digital new.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

Only way I'd ever consider preordering is if I actually know I'll like the game, or if for some reason it's hugely important to get a game day one because that's what everyone else I know is also doing.

Otherwise, the premium spent to have something day one is not worth it. It's not that important that I play a game the day it releases. It'll be the same game 6 months later, and cheaper too.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I only pre-order my must-have games... and it's usually with trade-in credit.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#15 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I preorder only if I'm really interested in the game. And usually I put 90% of the funds through trade-ins. If I don't like it, I just return it. Simple as that.

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

@jasonredemption:

The interesting thing about this world is that you have idiots roaming around you can steal from them, punch them, insult them and they will still smile and hang with you like nothing happened, you sir are one of those persons.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#17 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@SoNin360 said:

It's sad that people have to defend why they pre-order now. You don't need to defend what you buy your money with and when you buy it. But I'm just assuming this topic is in response to all the people being assholes about other people pre-ordering, claiming they're ruining the industry and whatnot. If you're interested in a game and want to play it day 1, then by all means go and ahead and pre-order it. If it's a game people are excited for, it's going to sell a lot anyway. If the game ends up being crappy, then that's going to hurt for the developers later on when they pump out a sequel.

If anything, I just want to see pre-order bonuses go away. I don't like that you have to commit to buying the game right as it releases to receive all of its content with some games anymore. But I'm still not going to pull out my pitchforks and viciously attack or preach to anyone who mentions pre-ordering a game.

I was just about to say this. It's eerie how almost verbatim this post is in accordance to what I was going to say.

But yeah.. to hell what anyone else thinks. If you can afford it, pre-order away.