Why dont people agree with GS reviews?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cgncgn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cgncgn
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
They just are a bit hard so what? look at ign review for assasins. the only review i think they didnt do to flash was the halo 3 review but all the other gameing sites just about all gave it higher then gs did. so answer the topic i think game spots reviews are just fine
ebbderelict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#2 ebbderelict
Member since 2005 • 3992 Posts
For the most part I tend to agree with GS reviews. Although agreeing with the review and agreeing with the score are 2 seperate things for me. For instance sometimes a game will score lower than I would score it, but all the points they make in the review are valid. It's just the things that lowered the score aren't items that concern me or ruin the game play experience for me, so would not impact the score I would give. I think sometimes people just look at the score as well. They might see 6 when they would give an 8, or might see 7 where they would give a 4, and figure the review is total crap.
FrankZappa17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FrankZappa17
Member since 2007 • 239 Posts

how can ppl agree with gs giving ratchet and clank 7.5???????

or halo 3 review overrated and now uncharted 8.0 although im happy they gave assassins creed 9.0 and crysis :)

Brmarlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Brmarlin
Member since 2006 • 2559 Posts
Usually I do agree, but the review system pretty much allows them to say whatever they want and slap a random number on it. Kane and Lynch should not have been a 6, Gears of War should not have been a 9.6 - they can be really off the wall at times.
spidermonkey11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 spidermonkey11
Member since 2007 • 1716 Posts
I agree with some reviews and I do appreciate how harsh they are but I don't agree with some reviewers they have. Number one game in my mind that they coompletely blew is Fire Emblem RD. A 6 for one of the best tactical games and it wasn't just the score I read the review. Some of the points they docked and the reasons they docked em for was completely horrible! I could agree with a 7-8 because Fire Emblem games are meant for the tactical/RPG player and meant for these consumers. Also they tend to dock points for very minute things that don't have much to do about gameplay/graphics or essential mediums that make a game playable and fun!
zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#6 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts

It's all down to personal opinion.

Should Shadowgrounds have gotten 6.9? No.

Should SilverFall have gotten 6.5? No.

Avatar image for Jedi_Shearstone
Jedi_Shearstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jedi_Shearstone
Member since 2004 • 702 Posts
ever since they changed the system for giving a score theyve been terrible the reviews themselves are okay but the numbers they give are random with games they obviously have bias towards like the halo series and gears of war have any issues glossed over wereas games they not to keen on in the first place have the issues brought up constantly im just happy i have my own opinion which i hold in higher regard to theres
Trekeith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Trekeith
Member since 2002 • 123 Posts

I find Gamespot's reviews very valid and usually quite accurate. While I am often shocked at some of the scores they've dished out to games I thought would score higher or lower, I can say that, in retrospect (after I buy the gameor rent it), Gamespot's reviews are usually bang-on in terms of the fun-factor I get from a given game.

Avatar image for danielsmith2020
danielsmith2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 danielsmith2020
Member since 2003 • 2244 Posts

Generall people will never totally agree with a review, however recently gamespot reviews have been terrible. At the moment it seems that gamespot are just marking down games just so hey can be seen as a harsh review site. But the thing that really annoys me is that the scores they have been handing out are starting to bear no relation to what every other reviewer says.

The best example being R&C, every other review of R&C gives it 8 and above. Anyone else find it slightly odd that gamespot seems to give a lower mark than every other review site and puts there review out last?

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

Well, the important thing to me is consistency. I don't have a problem with a site or mag that consistently marks down games, cause then you know where you stand. It's good to see harsh reviews and then make up your mind. It's when they suddenly glorify games that it really rankles.

TheMotherBrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 TheMotherBrain
Member since 2007 • 284 Posts
Just like everybody else said. The reviews are right on, but the scores are a little off.
VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
I go with the majority. Most of the time, Gamespot give a rating which is sooo much different to other gaming sites.
Avatar image for danielsmith2020
danielsmith2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 danielsmith2020
Member since 2003 • 2244 Posts
I've come to the opinion that the reason why gamespot changed there review system was so they don't have to justify the scores anymore. With the old system you could see where the score came from, now they can put whatever they like and there's no accountability.
hart704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hart704
Member since 2004 • 2994 Posts

how can ppl agree with gs giving ratchet and clank 7.5???????

or halo 3 review overrated and now uncharted 8.0 although im happy they gave assassins creed 9.0 and crysis :)

FrankZappa17
Easy. Because some P P P P P L L L L L L L understand that it's an opinion and take it as such. How can you consider such a great score to be so disastrous is the real question you should ask yourself.
weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 weirjf
Member since 2002 • 2392 Posts

They just are a bit hard so what? look at ign review for assasins. the only review i think they didnt do to flash was the halo 3 review but all the other gameing sites just about all gave it higher then gs did. so answer the topic i think game spots reviews are just finecgncgn

It is obvious sometimes that they do not spend enough time playing the game before they review it. They want to get it out and done. Other times it seems like they were paid for a high review because they ignore glaring deficiencies. At least half of the time they are pretty spot-on.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
In the case of Ratchet, I probably freaked out too soon.  I had only played the demo when the review came out, so it wasn't fair for me to fly off the handle.  That said, I've beaten Ratchet, and it is a much much better game than the 7.5 implies.

In the case of Uncharted, I was about 5 minutes away from beating the game when the review came out, and I knew that my experiences, and really everyone else's experience who has been playing the game here on the forums, were much better than the 8.0 would have you believe.  My problem is that yes 7.5 and 8.0 are good scores, but they imply that the games receiving those kinds of scores are merely good, and not classics.  Uncharted is a classic in my book and that is why I disagree with GS on this one.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts

I like that Gamespot for the most part holds back on handing out the high scores unless a truly outstanding game comes along. Too many sites out there hand out high scores like they're going out of style, it makes it hard to find those games that really stand out.

Some people just disagree with Gamespot's scores, nothing wrong with that. Other folks just want their expectations met, if they're looking for that from a review they're being silly. Others are just fanboys and wouldn't be happy with anything less than a 9.0 despite the fact they've never touched the game...

Avatar image for tiedye_duality_
tiedye_duality_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 tiedye_duality_
Member since 2007 • 186 Posts
there will allways be people who disagree with another, everyone's got an opinion. I just think the small group of ppl who do complain are just bored and seeing if they can find an excuse to make their post count rise.. after all if they think a games so good why complain about it, they wust allready have it!
Woolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Woolman
Member since 2007 • 234 Posts

Halo 3 has an average of 9.1. Then ALL the reviews are higher than 9.5 duh!

Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shifty_Pete
Member since 2004 • 2678 Posts

People don't agree with GameSpot's reviews because GS has the audacity to score a game differently than they would. People get caught up inthe hype of a game and then scream when the game doesn't score as high as they expected. They usually don't bother playing it first, or anything, they just start screaming that GS is biased and unprofessional.

Personally, I wish GS would ditch scores althogether. Then people would have to read the actual review, and fanboys would go somewhere else to quibble over numbers.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts

user impressions >>> all. i used to look at reviews in a lot of depth a while back and ill tell you what, it left me an unhappy gamer. i lost the drive to play a lot of games i had interest in and you know what, if i had just played them i would have liked most.

i highly prefer and reccomend user impressions, especially in a forum setting. you dont have a handfull of reviewers spouting off their opinions and personal tastes unchallanged. you have a group of people discussing and challanging each others opinions. it is a far superior way to gauge a game's quality and you dont geta bad impression off of one person who might just have different taste than you.

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts

From the way a lot of people seem to act, they don't seem to agree with the reviews because the score doesn't reflect on their exorbitant expectations for the game. The Gamespot reviews are fun to read, and I like hearing various opinions on the game, but when people seem to act like these reviews are the be-all-end-all for the game, it's pretty silly if you ask me.

It's a little pitiful to see this after every highly anticipated game, which usually come from people who haven't even played the game. The conspiracy...:roll:

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#23 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

user impressions >>> all. i used to look at reviews in a lot of depth a while back and ill tell you what, it left me an unhappy gamer. i lost the drive to play a lot of games i had interest in and you know what, if i had just played them i would have liked most.

i highly prefer and reccomend user impressions, especially in a forum setting. you dont have a handfull of reviewers spouting off their opinions and personal tastes unchallanged. you have a group of people discussing and challanging each others opinions. it is a far superior way to gauge a game's quality and you dont geta bad impression off of one person who might just have different taste than you.

OneWingedAngeI

you posted up exactly what I think.

To base your gaming decisions on what professional reviewers think and not what you like yourself it foolish. I know next to nothing about any of the gamespot editors, what games they like, what some of their best gaming moments are, what they are looking forward toso in the end their opinion means very little because i simply can't relate to them.

On the other hand there are posters like GodMode, UpInFlames, JuraDai that i've actually had conversations with, that i've seen post numerous times and i found that have very similar tastes to me that I would take suggestions from way more seriously than any score, badge or editor's choice pick i see given to a game on gamespot.

L8erSquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 L8erSquare
Member since 2007 • 2599 Posts
I dont mind them, they at least explain the score well, and they also show the scores from other sites and GS users 8)
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#25 Kazona
Member since 2003 • 1377 Posts

To be fair not everyone disagrees with Gamespot's reviews. Just the opposite, a lot of people do agree with them. I for one generally find Gamespot's reviews to be several notches above the competition. Take Mass Effect for example. I was totally stoked about the game (still am lol), so when it got lower than a 9 I was kinda bumbed at first. But once I read the review, I completely agreed with the score. So yes, I'm a bit dissappointed that it didn't get a higher rating, but that doesn't mean I disagree with it.

Personally, I think at least 90% of the people who cry faul when a game gets rated lower than they hoped are simply incredibly dissapointed and they need to put the blame somewhere for that dissapointment. And since it's a lot easier to blame the reviewer than it is to blame the developer, the cries of anger on these forums are quick to light up when a hyped up game turns out to be not so perfect after all.

CIoud_S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CIoud_S
Member since 2007 • 3216 Posts
Why? Becuase people invest their selfworth into the success of a particular game. So any criticism against the game is taken as a personal slight.
Inditra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27 Inditra
Member since 2006 • 1653 Posts
It all really boils down to personal taste on the part of the gamer. I think what GS is trying to do is provide a general score that applies to everyone playing the game, not just the fans of that particular series or genre. Maybe someone has played that series and is devoted to it and will love new installments no matter what, but there's someone out there playing it for the first time. There's all sorts of variables that need to be taken into account.
musicXpirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 musicXpirate
Member since 2005 • 3040 Posts
I like GS because they're harsh. If all sites took it easy on games we'd have a bunch of lame games getting good scores. I know it's hard to accept the fact that an anticipated title gets a low score, but get over it, it happens a lot. Besides, 8.5 is not that much different than 9.0. I consider any game on GS that's at least 8.0 worthy.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Because they are quite inconsistent. Not just from reviewer to reviewer but the same reviewer as well.

One game gets docked for "not doing too much different from its predecessors" (Metroid Prime 3) and another gets rewarded for "not straying too far from the original gameplay" (Halo 3).

It doesn't matter about the numbers. They are meaningless. When you praise one game for doing something and then dock another for the same thing, that shows a bit of an unprofessional nature.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

I like GS because they're harsh. If all sites took it easy on games we'd have a bunch of lame games getting good scores. I know it's hard to accept the fact that an anticipated title gets a low score, but get over it, it happens a lot. Besides, 8.5 is not that much different than 9.0. I consider any game on GS that's at least 8.0 worthy.musicXpirate

I even find myself enjoying games that get less than a 7.0. I don't have any less than 6.0, but there are some that look like they could be cool.

shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts
A review is just another opinion. Different people have different opinions. It's normal.
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts
The only reason I don't like the GS reviews as much as like, IGN's is because they are too inconcistent, sometimes they are too generous, and sometimes they aren't harsh enough. Gametrailers has way worse reviews than GS though. 1up is ok, but sometimes they are WAY too harsh. IGN isn't perfect, but overall, their reviews have been fair enough.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

biases. people dont like to see their favorite or hyped up game 2 get lower scores. also i think people they know everything when it comes to gaming. so their opinion should be correct instead of these sites where people who also play games (and much more than us) that actually get payed are not experts enough.

i complained when gt4 got an 8.9 since i think ekberg isnt really that good of a gt player, but in the end, but i settled on the fact that i got my opinion and he has his, and he spent a lot of time playing it so he deserves some credit.

neway get over it, i love gs reviews, they give the harsher reviews...they dont give away aaa scores, unless your game has halo in it.

It_is_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 It_is_I
Member since 2003 • 624 Posts

I find it best to look at the majority of reviews of a game and make my decision. I also understand MY personal tastes in games, and I do not have to justify that to anyone. You like what you like. If a game you like gets a 5 on GS. You should not pass over that game because that is what YOU like to play! I wonder about people who will literally will not play a game based off of one review. Gamespot, IGN, Gameinformer, PC Gamer, etc. are not the official/last word to say if a game is good or not, you are! But ALL of the game related magazines and web sites know there are more people who would rather be led than lead... So they will continue to take advantage of those types of people. :)

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#35 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Actually i've found myself to enjoy some games a lot, that i personally would rate AAA Status, but Gamespot begs to differ. As long as im interested in it, i'll try it. Regardless of Gamespots score
weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#36 weirjf
Member since 2002 • 2392 Posts

A review is just another opinion. Different people have different opinions. It's normal. shinian

It isn't opinion that is the issue; it is inconsistency. They will slamone game 2 points because of bugs, but another with even more bugs they will overlook it and rate it a 9.0. GS needs a separate metric for rating stability/bugs/optimization and leave the main score to the game itself. Either that or CONSISTENTLY rate each game based on those failures.

L8erSquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 L8erSquare
Member since 2007 • 2599 Posts

I like that Gamespot for the most part holds back on handing out the high scores unless a truly outstanding game comes along. Too many sites out there hand out high scores like they're going out of style, it makes it hard to find those games that really stand out.

Some people just disagree with Gamespot's scores, nothing wrong with that. Other folks just want their expectations met, if they're looking for that from a review they're being silly. Others are just fanboys and wouldn't be happy with anything less than a 9.0 despite the fact they've never touched the game...

duxup

So true, i could not have said it better myself.

hesel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 hesel
Member since 2006 • 2738 Posts
I just see it as a guideline, I don't purposely miss a game because GS give a low mark if I like the look of it i buy it. It should be taken at face value as it is only the opinion of the reviewer and not you, people have different tastes.
havik0666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#39 havik0666
Member since 2007 • 520 Posts

wut ^^ I'm totally in agree with GameSpot reviews

bsrt2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bsrt2004
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I think it's too biased. Like COD4 deserved to be one of the highest rated games for the 360. I'm a die hard Gears of War fan and I still say COD is one of the best FPS to date. I think it didn't get as much hype as certain games (cough, cough, Halo3) which got undeserving scores (that game is an 8.0 game if it's lucky) so it got brushed to the side a little. Oh well I guess, it is what it is.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

It's no big deal, it's just one review out of a ton of other reviews.

The only review that matters at the end is my own, meaning, my own personal opinion about a game.

I liked Haunting Ground but the reviews tore it up. But did I care? No. I still enjoyed the game.