Why does everybody hate Doom 3 so much???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Disturbed_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Disturbed_King
Member since 2007 • 554 Posts

I mean honestly, I just got this game off of the id Super Pack I bought off of Steam, and I must say, I'm actually addicted to Doom 3 right now! And I utterly cannot understand how a lot of people hate this game so much, like on YouTube I was watching a Final Doom gameplay trailer and one of the comments said that "Yeah Final Doom was one of the true Dooms, while Doom 3 was a s**** remake of the original Doom" and so forth.

And for those of you who haven't played it and keep dissing it just because it looks like an average first person shooter, well, tell you what, it'snot an average FPS. Doom 3 actually has a new theme/tone in it that makes it's FPS gameplay have a new feel to it, and it's overall presentation is really great at the least.

So tell me people...for those who've played Doom 3, why do y'all hate this game/dis it so much?? Discuss and tell me in FULL detail.

Sushbag88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Sushbag88
Member since 2005 • 403 Posts

I wasn't aware that everyone disliked Doom 3. I thought it was good. Not much replay value, but a decent romp and a beautiful one at that.

Darth_Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3 Darth_Homer
Member since 2004 • 5779 Posts
I don't think people hated Doom 3. If they were, it was probably because they found it was yet another shooter taking place in darkened corridors. Or because they couldn't get it running on their rigs...
_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 _Bear
Member since 2002 • 18760 Posts
I know I don't hate DooM 3, I own it on pc with it's expansion. I also happened to get the xbox version when I saw it was playable on 360. I enjoyed it all over again.I was surprised IMO that it rivaled the pc version as far as playability. I think some people always have hated DooM and those style games, where you basically march fourth and blast thy monster. super soldier. But some of those games to me are the most fun in the short term, satisfying way. So no not everyone hates Doom 3, though I know some gamers do.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

From what I hear, people didn't like Doom 3, I think they were just disappointed because they were coming off other big FPSs like Call of Duty, Half-Life, and Far Cry. That's what most reviews mention. But what won Doom 3 over was the state of the art graphics.

So it was mixed reactions I guess. Gameplay wasn't so state-of the art compared to the graphics.

Astral_Vapor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Astral_Vapor
Member since 2007 • 276 Posts
Doom is t3h aw3some.
Avatar image for LambentResident
LambentResident

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LambentResident
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I've never heard an individual in my life ever say that Doom 3 is no good. Everyone I know that's played Doom 3 has actually complimented positively on it.
The_PirateKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The_PirateKing
Member since 2005 • 9714 Posts
~-~It's only on the Internet where I hear that. I think it's mostly a bunch of kids who are too "teh hardcorezz!!!11!1!" for their own pants.~-~
Avatar image for deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
Member since 2005 • 7040 Posts

It was a pretty good game, but I think all the insane hype it got actually hurt it some. I mean this game was hyped to be THE game of....whichever year it came out.

I think the game was also a bit too long for what it offered. It got very boring towards the 75% mark, IMO, and I actually fell asleep playing one night, haha. I liked the ending though.

GC4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 GC4ever
Member since 2004 • 3044 Posts
lets throw anyone who didn't like doom 3 in the pit of hell!!!!!!!!
i loved doom 3 and the expansion
they scared me sh*tless when i played it
but then i played fear.........
skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#11 skyyfox1
Member since 2003 • 13015 Posts
i thought doom 3 was great... i bought a 6600 gt to play this game and it was well worth it. graphics are incredible.. the whole experience is like being in a horror movie. like friday the 13th or something. everytime you turn a corner, there's something jumping out at you. awesome game with replay value. id is the all time greatest video game maker in this world. tech 5 is almost complete. i think they are licensing it out pretty soon. quake wars will be kick ass. john carmack is a god. i love the games, can't get enough.
Viedric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Viedric
Member since 2003 • 949 Posts
I didn't realize that they did. What's to hate?
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
I like Doom 3. I guess the reason people hate it is the fact that it wasn't innovative in any way. But it's still a solid game, and I'm not someone that complains about innovation if the game itself is enjoyable.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#14 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
I like Doom 3. I think most people's disappointment comes from the fact that it doesn't compare to the likes of Half-Life or more modern FPS's at the time. What made Doom 3 great was the atmosphere. Most areas were dark, and that was perfect for a demon to ambush you. I hated those little baby demons because they always scared me, the way they rush at you from out of nowhere.
doominatorx6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 doominatorx6
Member since 2007 • 510 Posts
Doom 3 is the reason i wake up my friend. Bought it the day it came out and was blown away in everyway. It might not play as well as people hoped, (i mean that saying it to back up the amazing production values) so thats why it didnt get as high as i thought (I guessed around 90-95, more like 85)

Also, final doom was crap compared to the other dooms.
_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts
I enjoyed playing through Doom 3, though the game eventually began to feel a little repetitive and predictable after some times, but nothing that made me throw the game away in disgust. It's probably what others have said, that this game got a little too much hype and people disappointed with the game became more vocal about it that those that enjoyed it. I felt that the replay value of the game was pretty low, and I had no desire to pick it up again after I finished it.
Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shifty_Pete
Member since 2004 • 2678 Posts
I've never tried the PC version, but the XBOX version bored me to tears pretty quickly. Basically, you walk into a small industrial room/hallway, a couple of enemies teleport in behind you, and you waste them. Then you go into an identical small industrial room/hallway and do the same thing again. And again. And again. Its like the video game equivelent of a Saturday Night Live sketch--a decent idea that goes on WAAAY past the point of being fun.
zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#18 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts

I didn't really like Doom 3 but I don't hate it.

I don't like the way you open a door the room is empty but when you go inside the door looks behind you and all hell breaks loose. The game did that way too many times. The whole opening secret passageways behind you after you've walked past it is so last century. The one thing it did do well is atmosphere.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

I've never tried the PC version, but the XBOX version bored me to tears pretty quickly. Basically, you walk into a small industrial room/hallway, a couple of enemies teleport in behind you, and you waste them. Then you go into an identical small industrial room/hallway and do the same thing again. And again. And again. Its like the video game equivelent of a Saturday Night Live sketch--a decent idea that goes on WAAAY past the point of being fun.Shifty_Pete

I agree with you there. It felt archaic, like a relic from the early 90s that I'd rather not remember. Farting around in darkened corridors. I never completed the game. It's still upstairs.

weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20 weirjf
Member since 2002 • 2392 Posts

I like Doom 3. I guess the reason people hate it is the fact that it wasn't innovative in any way. But it's still a solid game, and I'm not someone that complains about innovation if the game itself is enjoyable.inoperativeRS

People who judge games on innovation aren't even real gamers. It is like people who hate a movie because there was no poetic symbolism. Damn snobs don't know what they are missing.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44093 Posts

I played the Xbox version of Doom 3 and really enjoyed it. It actually kept me on the edge of my seat and gave me a few jumps, especially when playing at night. The ending was pretty cool too. The flashlight going out after awhile kind of annoyed me though.

I never got around to playing Ressurrection of Evil though. As unlikely as it may be I wouldn't mind seeing a 360 version of the game complete with beefed up graphics, the expansion pack, and of course Achievement Points.

kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
I liked Doom 3 a lot. Didn't think it was a great game but thought it was very good. I never played it before 10 pm; I liked turning all the lights off and then getting into it, added a lot to the atmosphere. From an FPS perspective it didn't do anything that special but when it comes to atmosphere it hit a home run.
kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts

People who judge games on innovation aren't even real gamers. It is like people who hate a movie because there was no poetic symbolism. Damn snobs don't know what they are missing.

weirjf

Agree, I think games should be praised for innovation but shouldn't be ripped for lack of innovation, unless it goes to an extreme (i.e.they are shamelessly ripping off something else). You don't need innovation to make a great game. As a matter of fact, some of the best games ever aren't necessarily innovative but rather just do what they do better than any other game.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#24 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts
The only negative thing I've ever heard was criticism over the flashlight. Other than that everything I've ever seen/heard was positive in regards to Doom3.
trophylocoste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 trophylocoste
Member since 2006 • 8454 Posts
Im sure they didnt hate it they were just disapointed
Kev_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#26 Kev_Boy
Member since 2003 • 1527 Posts
From what I hear, people didn't like Doom 3, I think they were just disappointed because they were coming off other big FPSs like Call of Duty, Half-Life, and Far Cry. That's what most reviews mention. But what won Doom 3 over was the state of the art graphics.

So it was mixed reactions I guess. Gameplay wasn't so state-of the art compared to the graphics.ASK_Story

Not to sound like a personal attack and I respect your opinion, but this is the most generic Doom 3 is being discribed from people who haven't played it. It's just not accurate: The gameplay is absolutely fine and the graphics aren't state of art but still good.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
It has some nice technical achievements but aside from that it was a disappointing FPS. It didn't even manage the frantic fun of the original doom games so it blew it on nostalgia. The game itself is just a corridor crawl and FPSs moved beyond hallway crawls a long time ago. Looks pretty (except the plastic faces), but that was about it.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]From what I hear, people didn't like Doom 3, I think they were just disappointed because they were coming off other big FPSs like Call of Duty, Half-Life, and Far Cry. That's what most reviews mention. But what won Doom 3 over was the state of the art graphics.

So it was mixed reactions I guess. Gameplay wasn't so state-of the art compared to the graphics.Kev_Boy

Not to sound like a personal attack and I respect your opinion, but this is the most generic Doom 3 is being discribed from people who haven't played it. It's just not accurate: The gameplay is absolutely fine and the graphics aren't state of art but still good.

I'm not sure if you read my other posts in the past, but they're all in positive favor of Doom 3. And they all confirm that I did and am currently playing the game. I played it on the original XBOX and I just got it again for the PC because of the cheaper price and I wanted to play it with smoother framerates and better graphics.

I just answered the thread creator's question. He didn't ask "Did you like or hate Doom 3?" But he asked, "Why does everybody hate Doom 3 so much?" Which will bring about a different answer.

So I hope that clears it up a little. I'm not saying Doom 3 was bad, but I was just pointing out what the reviews said. If I shared my opinion, it wouldn't really hold much water since they're my own, but people would pay more attention to pro reviews.

I like Doom 3 a lot. I recognize that it's a different kind of shooter experience. But that's a good thing because I don't want to play ten Far Cry's or twenty Call of Duty's. Doom 3 is successful in what it does, and the little programming touches, like the flickering lighting for example, are masterfully done. But I will still say that the gameplay isn't as revolutionary as Half-Life 2 or as fun as Far Cry, but Doom 3 is still darn impressive and, IMO, equally fun for what it is.

boyd62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 boyd62
Member since 2003 • 374 Posts

While i like others do not hate doom, of the 3 fps games releasedthe same year, both HL2 and Far Cry were games that delivered more. While it was a good game, the expectations did not live up to the Hype.

Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

Next to Fable, Doom III is a prime example of how hype can kill a game, even a good one.

I really don't think you're aware of the kind of hype Doom III had in the YEARS prior to it's release....in 2002 and 2003 it was heralded as this amazing FPS game we'd all be playing....then it got delayed, again, and again.

In addition, Id Software kept going on about how diverse the gameplay would be and how great the story would be cause they hired a professional writer......this led to even more disappointment, cause the story in Doom III is merely decent, nothing special. Also, many players found the "diverse gameplay" to be lost among lot and lots of fights in dark corridors with cheap tricks like enemies spawning behind you.

All the hype about the amazing lighting didn't really count for much when a large portion of the game took place in extremely dark corridors.

Add this to gameplay elements that felt like cheap gimmicks.....aside from enemies spawning behind you when you triggered something (which felt cheap in 2004), many also felt the player being forced to flip between a flashlight and gun at release was a cheap gimmick, and frankly kinda dumb that a futuristic space soldier wouldnt have any night vision or any gun that actually has a light attached....hence the reason for the birth of the ducttape mod.

Another problem with Doom III is it's one of the few examples of a game that overstays it's welcome....in other words, Doom III is too long, especially since there really isn't much variety in the environments or gameplay considering it's length. You probably could have chopped about 1/3 or 1/4 of the game length, and it still would have been as fun as it was, probably more so.

After all the hype, when Doom III finally did arrive, it did so on the hells of games like Call of Duty, Far Cry, and Riddick...which offered much more gameplay wise. In addition both Far Cry and Riddick managed to look better then Doom III, both while beating it to release. The real stake through the heart of Doom III was the release of Half Life 2 on PC, which pretty much took the crown of single player FPS games released that year.

In the end it was the immense hype that killed Doom III, people acted like it would be the next big step in FPS gaming, it wasn't. Same thing happened to another game that year, Fable. some Xbox users claimed for over two years that it would be "greatest RPG of all time"....it wasn't, not even close, and as a result it became almost a joke...same with Doom 3.....which is unfortunate cause both were actually a good games. Sometimes a developer just needs to know when to keep their mouth shut, cause people will always overhype their words, and also use it to bring a game down if it doesn't live up.

TM_Darkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TM_Darkside
Member since 2007 • 3993 Posts

I don't hate it. I think it's an average FPS.

Beautiful visuals, repetitive gameplay.

sjona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sjona
Member since 2005 • 42 Posts
first game to ever make me crap my pants. i didnt like the expansion tho, especiallyh not the bosses.
lavatj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lavatj
Member since 2003 • 36 Posts

One of the few games I have kept and keep playing over and over again,while waiting on other games to hit shelves.Waiting now for Bioshock,Halo 3 and especially "The Orange Box" TF 2 is gonna be awesome and Portal a brand new experience!!!

Decessus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -5

#34 Decessus
Member since 2003 • 5132 Posts

I mean honestly, I just got this game off of the id Super Pack I bought off of Steam, and I must say, I'm actually addicted to Doom 3 right now! And I utterly cannot understand how a lot of people hate this game so much, like on YouTube I was watching a Final Doom gameplay trailer and one of the comments said that "Yeah Final Doom was one of the true Dooms, while Doom 3 was a s**** remake of the original Doom" and so forth.

And for those of you who haven't played it and keep dissing it just because it looks like an average first person shooter, well, tell you what, it'snot an average FPS. Doom 3 actually has a new theme/tone in it that makes it's FPS gameplay have a new feel to it, and it's overall presentation is really great at the least.

So tell me people...for those who've played Doom 3, why do y'all hate this game/dis it so much?? Discuss and tell me in FULL detail.

Disturbed_King

It's been a little while since the game has come out, so I don't know if I'm remembering things right but I think one reason that so many people "hate" Doom 3 is because the expectations for it were incredibly high. Compared to those expectations, when the game finally did come out and it turned out to be really nothing more than the first Doom with new graphics, I think a lot people felt like they were cheated pretty badly.

A game off the top of my head that I can compare it to is Fable for the Xbox. The hype for that game was so high because of all the rumored features that were supposed to be in the game, that when the game finally did come out and a lot of those features weren't there, people got upset. Take by itself, the game was actually pretty fun and enjoyable. If you're expecting something to be really great though, it's hard to get excited when you find out that what you just paid money for is only "good".

overfeind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 overfeind
Member since 2004 • 2984 Posts
Well sir IMHO It just wasn't that great.
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#36 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts
The only complaint I here from people is that it doesn't have that much replay value and it is reptitive, but overall people just thinks it is a decent game. In my opinion it is one of my favorite game on the original Xbox. It has a great presentation with spooky atmosphere. In the past before Doom 3 came out, I always want a game like the Aliens movies with the dark sci-fi setting hallways and such, and when Doom 3 came out I was so happy.
MartinNH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MartinNH
Member since 2007 • 38 Posts

I really loved Doom III, it has some great scares. I got a little bored by monsters hiding in hidden rooms and jumping on you when you opened doors, in the end I just shot every time I opened a door since I new something would be coming at me. I loved the atmosphere and the feeling of being at a space station where everything had gone wrong. And those little baby monsters freaks me out every time! The graphics are great, the use of light and shadow is revolutionary, or at least it was when the game was released.

As far as I remember the game got good reviews too.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#38 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Because DOOM I and II came before it and ultimately created such insanely high andunrealistic expectations that a lot of people were let down whenthe gamecame out and felt mostly like a generic shooter with a shiny new gloss of paint. The original DOOM games focused on non-stop action and adrenaline, and DOOM 3 changed the formula to have more of a horror oriented feel. It was slower paced, there were not as many enemies on the screen at once, some of the weapons were not the best, there were not as many massive battles, etc.

It was by no means a bad game, but to many it just didn't feel like the DOOM they knew and wanted.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
I like Doom 3. :D
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

Doom 3 failed to meet expectations and came with some inexplicably poor game design. Oh yeah, and a game put out by a then unknown developer- Crytek, turned the entire genre on its head. That game was Far Cry, which easily outclassed both Doom 3 and Half-Life 2. Getting outshined out of nowhere by a new company surely didn't help things.

Doom 3 wasn't really a bad game, its just not a great game. Thank goodness for the mod community for making the game playable.

skudoops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 skudoops
Member since 2007 • 61 Posts

Doom 3 failed to meet expectations and came with some inexplicably poor game design. Oh yeah, and a game put out by a then unknown developer- Crytek, turned the entire genre on its head. That game was Far Cry, which easily outclassed both Doom 3 and Half-Life 2. Getting outshined out of nowhere by a new company surely didn't help things.

Doom 3 wasn't really a bad game, its just not a great game. Thank goodness for the mod community for making the game playable.

MarcusAntonius

HL2 out classed em both Imo, but honestly the only thing in Doom that I hated was the flash light or gun system. Why not just put the flashlight on the gun

doyle6788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 doyle6788
Member since 2007 • 44 Posts
because after 'all hell breaks loose (pardon the pun) you literally walk through corridor after demonic corridor saying to yourself, hmm... i wonder where the bad-guys will spawn THIS time, yeah, you get a jump/pee your pants affect every dang time, especially w/ 7.1 surround and the lights off, but still, repetition killed the devil, unless you beat doom 3, then you did.