Why do some people squirm when animals are killed in games?

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

They're not real; they're pixelated. On top of that, these PETA types have no problem mass murdering hundreds of humans, but if you kill that one attack dog, you're bad?

Logic.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

First off, logic and PETA don't go well together.
Secondly, I don't know for other people, but I know for myself, I find it more disturbing when animals get killed in movies and games because they're innocent. When you see people getting killed, or kill enemies in video games they're usually the "bad guys" and they're just getting what they asked for.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gamerguru100

@SOedipus said:

First off, logic and PETA don't go well together.

Secondly, I don't know for other people, but I know for myself, I find it more disturbing when animals get killed in movies and games because they're innocent. When you see people getting killed, or kill enemies in video games they're usually the "bad guys" and they're just getting what they asked for.

The "Logic' part was sarcasm.

I think people need to grow thicker skin regarding killing non-existent, pixelated animals in games. I can understand movies, but if you're getting mad about it in games, my only response is LOL.

Far Cry 3 & 4 are definitely NOT for you. :P

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

Do these people really exist?

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

Because people care more about animals than people. Still, it's stupid since everything in games is fake. I'd go so far as to say even children should be viable targets for our Erage.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gamerguru100

@ariabed said:

Yes. There are certainly people that are bothered by killing pixels in the shape of animals.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gamerguru100

@Zen_Light said:

Because people care more about animals than people. Still, it's stupid since everything in games is fake. I'd go so far as to say even children should be viable targets for our Erage.

I'm jealous of PC gamers because they can mod their Skyrim and do freaking suplexes on those pretentious asshole kids in Whiterun. How I would love to just kick one in the nuts.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ariabed

@gamerguru100 said:
@Zen_Light said:

I'm jealous of PC gamers because they can mod their Skyrim and do freaking suplexes on those pretentious asshole kids in Whiterun. How I would love to just kick one in the nuts.

@gamerguru100 said:
@ariabed said:

Yes. There are certainly people that are bothered by killing pixels in the shape of animals.

I suppose people can be sickened by something they see in a movie so kinda works the same way in a game no?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:

They're not real; they're pixelated.

This argument is getting dumber every year. Yes, video games aren't real, just like movies and fictional books aren't real. However, we can still feel emotions from games...just like books and movies.

When I'm forced to kill people in The Walking Dead game, I don't say "They're just pixels, so who cares!" Sorry, but I find that really stupid. A lot of people don't feel comfortable killing dogs because animals don't share the same intelligence and morals that humans do. For many, it's easier to justify killing a bad guy who made poor decisions then a dog who's just there doing the bad guys bidding.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gamerguru100

@ariabed said:
@gamerguru100 said:
@Zen_Light said:

@gamerguru100 said:
@ariabed said:

I suppose people can be sickened by something they see in a movie so kinda works the same way in a game no?

Not really IMO. In non-animated movies, there may be an actual animal acting, so a death scene can have impact on a viewer. In a game, the animals are already lifeless, robotic, and pixelated, do idgaf.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

@gamerguru100: Yeah it doesn't really bother me in games. You gotta do what you gotta do, especially if you want to increase your ammo pouch or wallet size.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

A female friend was watching me play Far Cry 4 one day and a big ole tiger came at me and I killed it. She said "poor kitty" like I should have let it eat me haha.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gamerguru100

@JangoWuzHere said:
@gamerguru100 said:

This argument is getting dumber every year. Yes, video games aren't real, just like movies and fictional books aren't real. However, we can still feel emotions from games...just like books and movies.

When I'm forced to kill people in The Walking Dead game, I don't say "They're just pixels, so who cares!" Sorry, but I find that really stupid. A lot of people don't feel comfortable killing dogs because animals don't share the same intelligence and morals that humans do. For many, it's easier to justify killing a bad guy who made poor decisions then a dog who's just there doing the bad guys bidding.

True, but I as a gamer give zero fucks about killing animals. It doesn't phase me at all.

I'm sure there is the odd group of people out there that find fun in mass murdering civilians in games, yet get upset if an animal comes into their sights. I just find it all hypocritical regardless of the emotional aspect.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gamerguru100

@SOedipus said:

@gamerguru100: Yeah it doesn't really bother me in games. You gotta do what you gotta do, especially if you want to increase your ammo pouch or wallet size.

Damn straight. Getting all those weapon pouches is one of the highest priorities in Far Cry. :P Gotta have four weapon pouches for four different weapon types, damn it!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#15  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

This

@JangoWuzHere said:
@gamerguru100 said:

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gamerguru100

@phbz said:

This

@JangoWuzHere said:
@gamerguru100 said:

I still find it hypocritical nonetheless. If you're fine with murdering civilians or hundreds of "bad guys", then a few animals shouldn't have that big of an effect on you.

JFC.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ariabed

@gamerguru100: i guess everyone has a limit to what they would like to see and do in a game, and these days games are looking increasingly more realistic.

I mean if it was possible would you randomly kill a baby in a game?

Even though the baby is just pixels its still would not be nice to see.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gamerguru100

@ariabed said:

@gamerguru100: i guess everyone has a limit to what they would like to see and do in a game, and these days games are looking increasingly more realistic.

I admit, babies might be my line. :P Although I still wanna drop kick those Whiterun kids into space.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ariabed

@gamerguru100: lol!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#20 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@gamerguru100: That's fine and all, but have those people told you what's their vision regarding humans vs animals kills, so you can call them hypocrites? Because I don't think that word means "having an opinion different from mine".

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gamerguru100

@phbz said:

@gamerguru100: That's fine and all, but have those people told you what's their vision regarding humans vs animals kills, so you can call them hypocrites? Because I don't think that word means "having an opinion different from mine".

You can think what you want, dude, and so can all the other "anti-killing animals in games" people.

In the end, I just think it's fucking stupid.

My frustration mostly stems from seeing multiple people on YouYube insult an uploader for killing an animal in his video game vid. It's like you either stop watching the video and piss off to cat videos or just don't be a stupid dumbass. Insulting someone for killing a virtual animal in their game on their YouYube channel is pretty goddamned low if you ask me.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gamerguru100

I'll also say that if you're fine with the mission "No Russian" in MW2 but have a problem with killing a dog or two in "Takedown" then...

HAHAHAHA

O_O

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

Because good old Fido doesn't whine like my wife does. Because animals aren't as complicated and difficult as humans, so I can project all my personal ideals and ideas on them and then say: 'I feel Fluffy actually understands me.' Because a lot of animals can't defend themselves, verbally or physically, against the wrath of humans. Because animals are innocent and pure. Because animals don't **** up the world like humans do, which makes humans easier to dislike. Because animals generally have a higher cuteness factor.

Oh man, so many reasons to not care about violence against humans, but go berserk when someone kills an animal.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:
@gamerguru100 said:

I agree 100%.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Why do some people squirm when animals are killed in games?

´cause people are dumb.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:
@ariabed said:

I admit, babies might be my line. :P Although I still wanna drop kick those Whiterun kids into space.

you can fus ro dah them dam kids on consoles though

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#27 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

If that annoys you then never watch any sort of cute animal video on YT and then read the comments...you'll have an aneurysm...

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#28  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

There are just certain things people aren't comfortable seeing, regardless if it's real or not. I could make a game where the protagonist is raping a digital version of your mother, and I'm sure you'd find something wrong with that, but don't fret! It's not real! It's just a video game!

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gamerguru100

@thehig1 said:
@gamerguru100 said:
@ariabed said:

But it doesn't kill them. They...must...DIE! AARGH.

:P

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:
@thehig1 said:
@gamerguru100 said:
@ariabed said:

But it doesn't kill them. They...must...DIE! AARGH.

:P

true, gotta take what you can get though.

You can adopt a child, then make him follow you to somewhere like the bridge at winterhold that leads to the mage college.

Then fus ro dah him off the bridge and he will fall to his death

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31  Edited By Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that many animals are endangered, but people are all over the place. And most of the animals people hate to kill in games or see die in movies are mammals, like elephants, tigers, bears. But birds, they are everywhere as well, so usually I'm perfectly fine killing a chicken or crow in a game, but hesitate when it's a bear. I know the endangered thing doesn't take into account dogs and cats, but they are seen as close pets, so we empathize with them as if they were our own. Sure, people are close to us as well (duh), but people have a wider range of variety when it comes to personality and distinguishable features, but dogs and cats, not as much. So the gap between a criminal and our best friend is huge compared to a mean dog and a friendly dog.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@gamerguru100: Just because you don't have a problem with it, doesn't mean other people are weird or stupid because they do.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gamerguru100

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@gamerguru100: Just because you don't have a problem with it, doesn't mean other people are weird or stupid because they do.

Debatable

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#34 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

This.

And ya people are people and like they would squirm in real life if a animal was hurt, they do it if it happens in game.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gamerguru100

@Jacanuk said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

This.

And ya people are people and like they would squirm in real life if a animal was hurt, they do it if it happens in game.

Hmmmm...nah, still weird.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#36 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:
@Jacanuk said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

This.

Hmmmm...nah, still weird.

Not saying it´s not weird .

It is after all just pixels on a screen, 1´s and 0´s.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Didn't care about killing animals in farcry 3 but I accidentally killed a dog in gta 5 in first person mode. It did make me sad. Oh I killed the owner too for and let pushed her off to the ocean. :p

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I agree.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Because enraging large groups of people who are looking for an excuse to be enraged is profitable.

GrahamZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By GrahamZ
Member since 2003 • 126 Posts

Humans and other higher animals have this thing which they've evolved known as 'empathy'. It is not logical, but it is a survival mechanism, allowing for adoption, protection of the weak. It doesn't always serve survival when it is directed at other species (or pixellated creatures). That's just a side-effect. Not everyone is equally empathic over the same things, which is why you have some people working for the ASPCA, or wincing when they see someone else in pain (or even another creature, and even a virtual creature) while others engage in dog fighting and other activities requiring little or no empathy. Knowing that a feeling is illogical does not prevent you from feeling.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Is another Cabela game coming out?