Why do people frown on gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by STB1001 (10 posts) -

For whatever reason I have always believed that playing video games now a days in 2013 was a normal thing. But apparently there is a lot of negative reputation with being a gamer. For example: I entered college several months ago and one of my math teachers told gamers to delete their games because she viewed them as a waste of time. She even then commented that the idea of playing video games for a living was taboo for her. To me, this seemed completely normal and just a ordinary thing. But to her she could not physically comprehend it. Yet the next day she was able to accept movies as a fine form of entertainment to engage in. I don't get it: But why do people seem to frown on others who like to spend the majority of their free time playing video games than someone would if they were to be watching movies or reading or watching television?

#2 Posted by RimacBugatti (1047 posts) -

Well some time ago I said to myself that if I were to eliminate doing all pointless and self destructive activities etc. than there wouldn't be anything to do. If you think about it in all reality what point is there to doing anything in life other than trying to help people.

#3 Edited by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

Well it is just the same as people spending time watching TV or Movies or reading a book. In most cases it's just a form of entertainment. Though if you're at college and telling your maths teacher you're going to be a professional gamer and expect to be taken seriously, well you may as well have said you're going to be a rock star or a famous footballer, it's no less ridiculous or likely.

#4 Posted by skipper847 (2925 posts) -

The only thing that seems to be ok these days is drinking. If you play games its, You don't play them things do you. If you gamble its, Well don't spend too much its a waste of time, but when its im going out Friday night to get plastered and puke up every its seems to be ok.

#5 Edited by Netret0120 (1497 posts) -

I don't see why she is being so negative. Spending 15/24 hours a day playing is madness but playing 3 hours is perfectly acceptable. Simply balance your time. I rarely play midweek and play alot on weekends and still find time to go out with my friends to parties etc

#6 Posted by turtlethetaffer (15549 posts) -

How old is the math teacher? That must have something to do with it.

#7 Posted by Jacanuk (2746 posts) -

@STB1001 said:

For whatever reason I have always believed that playing video games now a days in 2013 was a normal thing. But apparently there is a lot of negative reputation with being a gamer. For example: I entered college several months ago and one of my math teachers told gamers to delete their games because she viewed them as a waste of time. She even then commented that the idea of playing video games for a living was taboo for her. To me, this seemed completely normal and just a ordinary thing. But to her she could not physically comprehend it. Yet the next day she was able to accept movies as a fine form of entertainment to engage in. I don't get it: But why do people seem to frown on others who like to spend the majority of their free time playing video games than someone would if they were to be watching movies or reading or watching television?

But she is right also she might have said it because a lot of kids today seem to spend their lecture/class time on facebook or playing games instead of paying attention and learning.

Also playing games for a living is perhaps 2 out of a 10.000 get to earn more than min. wage.

So i fully understand her and its fun to hear young kids who think gaming can bring them fame and fortune.

#8 Posted by Ornjlightning (454 posts) -

Video games can be an excellent learning tool. I'm not talking about mind numbing stupid "edutainment". But if you sit down and think about it, think about how many things you can learn from a game like Baldur's Gate or Final Fantasy. In math alone you can learn a lot. But you can learn immeasurable things in other concepts like morality, ethics, motives, philosophy, right and wrong, brain augmenting strategy building, and that's any game. If you get specific, lets look at Deus Ex Human Revolution. You can learn the professional email, and possibilities concerning the world of security. If you look at Baldur's Gate 2 Shadows of Amn, - The value of money, learning not to be naive, the concept of trust, logistics, consequences, not to get wasted, math, strategy, and other things I'm sure.

Games get a bad rep as a useless and brain rotting waste of time that lets you simulate your violent urges in casual ways. Even though it isn't much more useless than plenty of other activities. It's a proven fact that it has the potential to be beneficial for your mind. You know gamers make decisions 25% faster than other people? Especially snap decisions that need to be made, NOW.

And then there's the other rep, dare I say it, that it makes you a gun tottin anti-social person killer. Although, we obviously don't even need to talk about that, it can't help. It kind of seems like a culture staple. New things are to blame, especially if they are popular to slander or use as scapegoats.

#9 Posted by GerardoExber (78 posts) -

She is wrong, there is nothing wrong with gaming :) Unless a gamer really becomes addicted to it, we gamers go to school, work, have a social life and play videogames :) Believe me I've been called homosexual, retarded and a nerd just for being a gamer. There are far more worse things in this world but humanity doesn't see them :(

#10 Edited by BranKetra (46493 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer: Yes, I would say that the older generations do not have as modern of a mindset as average-aged gamers and younger do because they were without many modern inventions and innovations until recently.

#11 Posted by STB1001 (10 posts) -

How old is the math teacher? That must have something to do with it.

She is in her 60s. So that might be part of it. There has always been older people questioning the forms of entertainment that grab the young.

#12 Posted by ConorHat (138 posts) -

It's the same thing Bobby Fisher tackled when he got older. It's hard to come to the realization that his life meant nothing other than to win Chess games. His life became a trivial spectacle, and he couldn't handle that.

#13 Edited by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

Mostly just ignorance.

#14 Posted by uninspiredcup (4653 posts) -

1. The gaming media are primarily advertisements

2. Gaming has lots of young uneducated console children

3. Games treat woman as sex objects

4. Most games involve killing.

5. Pc gaming (mature gaming) with mature games like Total War tend to get ignored.

As a whole, gaming is mostly a joke that has gotten progressively worse thanks for greedy publishers.

#15 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (17556 posts) -

Everything has someone frowning over it. Examine their reasons and if not valid ignore them.

#16 Posted by DuaIFace (460 posts) -

Anyone could guess what her problem is.

All you have to do is post her age and it'd be obvious. Plenty of old folks still yet to brace the tech world they live in.

#17 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

You base one persons opinion as something that vilifies video games?

Get down off your cross, video games aren't frowned upon anymore than anything else in 2013 because this isn't 1988 anymore.

Everyone that really gets into whatever it is they enjoy tend to think that they are an outcast looked down upon by others for whatever reason. Besides, what do you care what your teacher said? How does it actually effect you as a person? Or how does it impact your personal life? Or your enjoyment of video games? It doesn't so get over it and just enjoy playing games because at the end of the day what someone else thinks doesn't mean shit and one day youll be dead.

#18 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (4933 posts) -

I usually find that people who "look down" on gaming, and call it a "waste of time/money" or something "that kids play", generally don't understand it nowadays and how much it's evolved into a real entertainment medium. My dad still doesn't believe how much GTA 5 grossed when it first released, and when I compared it to big budget films etc.

In the end, I don't care what anyone thinks about me being a gamer. I enjoy it and that's all that matters :)

#19 Posted by DonkeyBrains (32 posts) -

@uninspiredcup:

1. The film media are primarily advertisements

2. Movies have lots of young uneducated cartoon children

3. Moviess treat woman as sex objects

4. Most movies involve killing.

5. Mature movies tend to get ignored.

#20 Posted by marcheegsr (2179 posts) -

If It wasn't for gaming I would have probably gone down the wrong road.

Most my friends would make fun of me for always playing games but hey it kept me away from doing what they were doing like snorting cocaine / E pills, and getting drunk everynight.

Gaming kept me out of trouble. Don't listen to people. Do what you enjoy.

#21 Edited by sukraj (20586 posts) -

If It wasn't for gaming I would have probably gone down the wrong road.

Most my friends would make fun of me for always playing games but hey it kept me away from doing what they were doing like snorting cocaine / E pills, and getting drunk everynight.

Gaming kept me out of trouble. Don't listen to people. Do what you enjoy.

yeah I enjoy gaming just as much as watching movies some people don't realise that u can get some enjoyment from gaming.

#22 Posted by k2theswiss (16213 posts) -

everything is a waste of time...

#23 Edited by withe1982 (412 posts) -
#24 Posted by moix123 (67 posts) -

" Your Idea is not SMART if people doesnt laugh at it."

#25 Edited by WR_Platinum (4666 posts) -

Ignorance.

#26 Posted by moix123 (67 posts) -

why ignore,

prove them that they are wrong. You have a smart idea. Go for it and prove them wrong.

#27 Posted by insanegame377 (332 posts) -

In my opinion, playing video games for a couple of hours after a long day is no different to sitting down and watching TV. Its not like gaming is my only interest, I have a good social life, I play football and like to keep healthy by going to the gym 3 times a week.

A lot of my friends, in particular my friends from uni give me some stick for playing games, but its more due to some of the niche games I've played as opposed to me actually being a gamer!

#28 Posted by The_Last_Ride (65895 posts) -

After watching a few videos from the news it's frightening how the public looks at games, especially politicians and the military

#29 Posted by turtlethetaffer (15549 posts) -

@BranKetra: I just find that many people tend to be set in their beliefs at a certain age. Older folks didn't have these kinds of technologies, so it's natural they will think something like a video game is a waste of time, although I'd argue it's no worse than watching a movie or TV show.

#30 Posted by bowchicka07 (740 posts) -

Most people that hate video games completely suck at them. The majority of them come from an older generation and refuse to accept change but lets face the facts. The downside to video games is that they are used out of moderation and in turn we have a lot of lazy folk such as myself sometimes who don't read or exercise. The whole kids who played video games and then shot up public places is not at the fault of video games. They had problems way before that IMO. Now for the upside on video games. They are excellent for the economy! Videos Games creates thousands of jobs such as designers, writers, publishers, voice actors, server and web site admins, marketing coordinators,reviewers, critics, competitors, competitive hosts and announcers, game testers and of course all the jobs that go in with the retail. Video games are great dexterity for the hands (guitar is better though) and increases hand-eye coordination all together. Now there is interactive gaming as well which would do even more for such as lose weight, learn guitar and bass, (hey remember that hand dexterity thing) and much more. Lets face it video games aren't going anywhere so everybody needs to just get in line with the gaming industry.

#31 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (4482 posts) -

People don't frown on Gaming. They frown on Gamers ! Big Difference.

And with the way things have turned out recently... Can we blame them ?

Embrace the shame, it might you a better person.

#32 Posted by gamingqueen (31062 posts) -

Some associate them with kids even though the majority of games out there are not made for kids. Some associate them with violent behavior because they have you kill and do violent stuff. Others think playing video games is lazy for the same reason watching is TV because you sit on your behind for long hours doing nothing but staring at a screen. Some are prone to having seizures and can't take too much colors and effects on screen. Some are turned off by the gaming community because it's not exactly attractive especially online gaming community. The rest, it's simply not for them. Can you imagine doing something you don't like? That's how they think about playing video games.

Why isn't it as popular as movies and books? Because it's not as user friendly. It's not as practical, as quick and easy as going to the movies or just grabbing a book.

#33 Posted by bowchicka07 (740 posts) -

Some associate them with kids even though the majority of games out there are not made for kids. Some associate them with violent behavior because they have you kill and do violent stuff. Others think playing video games is lazy for the same reason watching is TV because you sit on your behind for long hours doing nothing but staring at a screen. Some are prone to having seizures and can't take too much colors and effects on screen. Some are turned off by the gaming community because it's not exactly attractive especially online gaming community. The rest, it's simply not for them. Can you imagine doing something you don't like? That's how they think about playing video games.

Why isn't it as popular as movies and books? Because it's not as user friendly. It's not as practical, as quick and easy as going to the movies or just grabbing a book.

I would argue that gaming is more popular than reading a book. Sadly.

#34 Edited by JimmiCottam (100 posts) -

I have never understood the stigma with gaming even though gaming can be as rich and as diverse as films, books and other entertainment arts. As gaming becomes more popular though I can sense a lot more people like Government body A complaining that playing game X causes Y problems that can be solved by, oh I dunno, saving rain forests. There has been none of these sorts of problems with books or with music (although people argue that Metal rots the brain and we should all be listening to Beethoven's 9th on constant loop) so why should games suffer?

And to those who think gaming "is for kids" clearly haven't understood the situation. Cartoons are apparently for kids but Ren and Stimpy and Southpark clearly showed that that wasn't the case

#35 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (17556 posts) -
#36 Posted by Zuzuvela (2147 posts) -

Most mainstream media attention is on Video Game violence

Gamers on the internet dont show the hobby in a good light TBH

The idea of the 'gamer' instead of a person who just plays video games like someone can just watch films

#37 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22910 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer said:

@BranKetra: I just find that many people tend to be set in their beliefs at a certain age. Older folks didn't have these kinds of technologies, so it's natural they will think something like a video game is a waste of time, although I'd argue it's no worse than watching a movie or TV show.

The following rant is not strictly aimed at you. I just picked yours to quote because it was short and illustrates the point I want to expand on. So any of the following is not meant personally.

Disclaimed over.

What people should be arguing, if you're going to engage on this topic, is the benefits of games over other media. I've been playing video games for nearly 40 years. And rather than point out that movies or films or music or whatever are no worse than games, how about arguing about the good aspects.

Hand to eye coordination exercise is one of the most obvious positives. The opportunity for tangential learning is another. The fact that games offer a cathartic release when your day is going otherwise awful and you need to vent, better to spend an hour playing Call of Duty than to walk around grousing about how everything sucks in the world and maybe hurting someone elses feelings. I've lived that one more times than I can count (well not with CoD, but other games). All of these are positives.

But what I usually have done when someone has given me the "Waste of time" argument is point out the artistic side of games. How a painting is just a painting, but a video game is like a painting I can walk through and interact with. An artistic expression made by a team of creative people who wanted to share their vision and it can only come full circle through my interaction. Seriously, it's time to stop defending games, and start being their emissaries. Get out in front of it and don't just point out the negatives of other media but the benefit of Games.

#38 Posted by BranKetra (46493 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer said:

The following rant is not strictly aimed at you. I just picked yours to quote because it was short and illustrates the point I want to expand on. So any of the following is not meant personally.

Disclaimed over.

What people should be arguing, if you're going to engage on this topic, is the benefits of games over other media. I've been playing video games for nearly 40 years. And rather than point out that movies or films or music or whatever are no worse than games, how about arguing about the good aspects.

Hand to eye coordination exercise is one of the most obvious positives. The opportunity for tangential learning is another. The fact that games offer a cathartic release when your day is going otherwise awful and you need to vent, better to spend an hour playing Call of Duty than to walk around grousing about how everything sucks in the world and maybe hurting someone elses feelings. I've lived that one more times than I can count (well not with CoD, but other games). All of these are positives.

But what I usually have done when someone has given me the "Waste of time" argument is point out the artistic side of games. How a painting is just a painting, but a video game is like a painting I can walk through and interact with. An artistic expression made by a team of creative people who wanted to share their vision and it can only come full circle through my interaction. Seriously, it's time to stop defending games, and start being their emissaries. Get out in front of it and don't just point out the negatives of other media but the benefit of Games.

You have a good point. I agree that comparing cons is not the best way to be a video game apologist. The best defense of video games is the fact that there are positive qualities of playing them as a hobby and making them a lifestyle choice.

#39 Posted by MirkoS77 (6230 posts) -

I play games to escape shitty reality. In that respect, I can understand why some view them in a negative light.

#40 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22910 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

I play games to escape shitty reality. In that respect, I can understand why some view them in a negative light.

In my reality, I've saved Earth. 6 times this year alone. And I stopped a Zombie outbreak, uncovered a government conspiracy, raced Laguna Seca, and beat up the Joker. And that was just since October.

Reality can suck it.

#41 Posted by HipHopBeats (2622 posts) -

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one. Personally, I respect a down to earth gamer over a sports nut, reality tv or some cynical math professor. People like your math teacher are close minded. As long as you enjoy your hobby and it doesn't interfere with your priorities, it shouldn't matter what other people think. Especially some dismissive douche bag with no real understanding on what she's critiquing.

#42 Posted by Treflis (11186 posts) -

Same way people frowned on Rock music and TV back in the days.

It's different then what they're used too and things that are different Humans don't really like until they get used to it.

#43 Posted by drekula2 (1653 posts) -

Logically speaking, games are no more or less productive than movies, books and music. But there are two aspects of the industry as a whole that will make people always associate video games, be they Pac-Man or our modern games as escapism and slacking.

1. Very few games provide a meaningful message or vision (as many movies/books/albums do). Most are just about slaughtering enemies.

2. Games reward spending inordinate amounts of time playing through them. Many are diluted (2 hours of story mixed with 15 hours of grinding for example). Many games even reward 100+ hours. Movies don't have that addictiveness about them.

So until games evolve beyond "kill this enemy. watch this cutscene" skinnerboxes, more people will frown on it.