Why do people complain every time another Halo game comes out?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gamefreak1296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Gamefreak1296
Member since 2005 • 1670 Posts

Okay, to ward off the haters, let me say i'm am not a huge Halo fan at all. I casually enjoyed them from time to time. It always happens though that when a new Halo game comes out people just rag on "another Halo rawr." Why don't people complain about every other series that won't die?

FF?
Mario?
Zelda?
tons of other games that I'm blanking on at the moment.

Anyway feel free to discuss. Thanks!

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

Probably because there are so many shooters in general. And the whole genre feels pretty similar. But honestly I haven't noticed people complain about Halo nearly as much as Call of Duty. Which I haven't even played at all so I can't comment on that.

Actually I noticed they did a pretty good job of improving each Halo game from what I've played. And each game is pretty short, so I see nothing wrong with the numbers. The entire first trilogy can be beaten faster then a single Final Fantasy game, lol.

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
Call of Duty? They're complaining because they believe they're milking the franchise for all it's worth, and to be fair, they probably are. At least the main Halo games have a 3 year period between them.
gamedude234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gamedude234
Member since 2009 • 2558 Posts

because they have nothing better to do, so people hate on popular titles. the only series i believe deserves most of the hate is Call of Duty. Halo does have significant changes between the games, and it does feel different out of the sea of COD clones.

Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

Well Halo has always been hated on since it got popular, and to be fair the series is being milked. I really look forward to Halo 4 but I don't think they should have started a new triolgy. I just hope MS doesn't milk the franhise to deathbefore the trilogy can end.

knightseason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 knightseason
Member since 2006 • 1260 Posts

All popular games get complaints about them when a new one is announced, normally by people that have nothing better to do.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

Well Halo has always been hated on since it got popular, and to be fair the series is being milked. I really look forward to Halo 4 but I don't think they should have started a new triolgy. I just hope MS doesn't milk the franhise to deathbefore the trilogy can end.

Gibsonsg527

I agree. I knew instinctively that Halo 4 would be announced at MS's E3, and I was disappointed despite enjoying the series quite a bit. 3 new titles? It would have been more satisfying to see something more original, but they know Halo will sell, so they just pushed the same stuff instead of coming up with something new (besides Kinect). I really don't see the need for another trilogy.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Gibsonsg527

I would have been happy if they had ended it with Reach, since it's the prequel and ties in with the original trilogy, but I am unsure of how Halo 4 will play out, since it's not done by Bungie and at this point, I also get the feeling that the Halo series is being seen as nothing more but a cash-cow. It's the same with Call Of Duty as well; it doesn't matter what kind of modes you put in there or what kind of improvements you add or what features you take away, it's still going to be a Call Of Duty and it's going to sell millions. Same with Halo...and that's sad.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#9 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

Easy. I can answer in one word: fanboyism

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

Just be glad that it doesn't come out every year like COD, and with a new developer taking over, who knows how it will turn out, they may take it in a completely new direction as far as shooters go.

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#11 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

sometimes it's a fashion or trend to hate on particular games.

gamedude234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gamedude234

[QUOTE="Gibsonsg527"]

Metamania

I would have been happy if they had ended it with Reach, since it's the prequel and ties in with the original trilogy, but I am unsure of how Halo 4 will play out, since it's not done by Bungie and at this point, I also get the feeling that the Halo series is being seen as nothing more but a cash-cow. It's the same with Call Of Duty as well; it doesn't matter what kind of modes you put in there or what kind of improvements you add or what features you take away, it's still going to be a Call Of Duty and it's going to sell millions. Same with Halo...and that's sad.

your logic makes no sense: so if they make the best shooter ever made, its still bad just because of its name?

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

There seam to be a good number that get whinny as they clam that only squeals are coming.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Because they hype it with millions of $$$$ commercials, and the end result is just some average shooter.

And people go crazy "Halo! Halo! Halo!" and it's about as good as most of the multiplat shooters that come out like R6 Vegas.

I enjoyed Reach, but it was basically a 3 day rental.

gamedude234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gamedude234

Because they hype it with millions of $$$$ commercials, and the end result is just some average shooter.

And people go crazy "Halo! Halo! Halo!" and it's about as good as most of the multiplat shooters that come out like R6 Vegas.

I enjoyed Reach, but it was basically a 3 day rental.

ZombieKiller7

opinions, opinions, opinions. I'd argue Halo is easily one of the best shooters out there, on any platform, ever. Its certainly better than R6 Vegas. But its your opinion that you disagree.

Than again, i'm in the majority.

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

Probably because a popular thing to do these days is milk a series dry.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts
It just comes with the territory, the more popular the game the more vocal the people that don't care for it become. Same thing happens with Gears of War, World of Warcraft, and Call of Duty.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
It just comes with the territory, the more popular the game the more vocal the people that don't care for it become. Same thing happens with Gears of War, World of Warcraft, and Call of Duty.Archangel3371
I agree with what you're saying, but I don't think ive ever seen someone hate on WoW before. Which is strange now that I think about it.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ZombieKiller7

opinions, opinions, opinions. I'd argue Halo is easily one of the best shooters out there, on any platform, ever. Its certainly better than R6 Vegas. But its your opinion that you disagree.

gamedude234

Go play Orange Box or Bioshock then come tell me with a straight face Halo is one of the best shooters.

At least R6 innovated with its cover system, what did Halo innovate, other than a new way to milk adolescent boys.

The series isn't bad by any stretch, it's simply one more title on a large pile of mediocre shooters that come out every year, except this one has the most obnoxious amount of hype and fanboyism attached to it.

Now let me throw this question back :

Why do you care so much if I didn't care for Halo?

Do you see people making threads, "Why do people complain every time another Tom Clancy game comes out?"

That's because nobody cares.

Ppl care about Halo because Halo = Xbox360 prestige and symbolism

If you didn't like R6 Vegas, it really does not bother me.

But me not liking Halo irritates you.

As far as I'm concerned, the best games are %99 multiplats, and the best of those are titles that didn't get a whole lot of hype or sales, like Left 4 Dead, R6 Vegas, Borderlands, Bioshock, Orange Box, Far Cry 2, MAG.

Compared to those titles, Halo is another "Super Mario" phenomenon that gets millions of sales, but nobody on anybody's friends list every plays it.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="Gibsonsg527"]

gamedude234

your logic makes no sense: so if they make the best shooter ever made, its still bad just because of its name?

What kind of a question is that to ask? Re-read my posting; I did not say that it was bad because of anything. I said that it is sad that no matter what's being done to a series like Halo, for better or worse, that it will continue to sell for millions. And there's no such thing as the best shooter ever made. No such thing as perfection in videogaming, no matter how close games have gotten to that milestone. There's always something to gripe about and people will never be happy. Understand?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts
[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]It just comes with the territory, the more popular the game the more vocal the people that don't care for it become. Same thing happens with Gears of War, World of Warcraft, and Call of Duty.GodModeEnabled
I agree with what you're saying, but I don't think ive ever seen someone hate on WoW before. Which is strange now that I think about it.

Well you don't see it much anymore, same with Halo and Gears of War as Call of Duty has become the game to diss these days but even that one seems to have mellowed out just a little bit.
gamedude234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gamedude234

[QUOTE="gamedude234"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

I would have been happy if they had ended it with Reach, since it's the prequel and ties in with the original trilogy, but I am unsure of how Halo 4 will play out, since it's not done by Bungie and at this point, I also get the feeling that the Halo series is being seen as nothing more but a cash-cow. It's the same with Call Of Duty as well; it doesn't matter what kind of modes you put in there or what kind of improvements you add or what features you take away,

Metamania

What kind of a question is that to ask? Re-read my posting; I did not say that it was bad because of anything. I said that it is sad that no matter what's being done to a series like Halo, for better or worse, that it will continue to sell for millions. And there's no such thing as the best shooter ever made. No such thing as perfection in videogaming, no matter how close games have gotten to that milestone. There's always something to gripe about and people will never be happy. Understand?

you're right, you didn't say it was bad: you said that "no matter what kind of modes you put there or what kind of improvements you add or what features you take away,it's still going to be a Call Of Duty and it's going to sell millions. Same with Halo...and that's sad.

essentially what you've said is, that if they improve the game so much as to reach near-perfection(i know there's no such thing as perfection, it was afire of speech), then it's sad. That's what you said. It's sad because it will still be viewed as Call of Duty, or Halo, or any popular franchise. I'm not saying that any of those 2 franchises are good or bad, just pointing that out.

Also: How is it sad that if they change Halo for the better, it will sell millions? Don't you what people playing good games? I can see how its sad if they change it for worse, but for better? You sure about that?

gamedude234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gamedude234

[QUOTE="gamedude234"]

ZombieKiller7

Go play Orange Box or Bioshock then come tell me with a straight face Halo is one of the best shooters. I have played both BioShock and the Orange Box extensively. I really enjoyed Bioshock, but hardly anything God-Like(and bioshock 2 was a step down). The Orange Box, i only really enjoyed Portal. No one plays TF2 on consoles, and HL2, save for Ep. 2, had so many fundamental flaws. So yes, i Still think Halo as one of the best FPS franchises out there, right now. Go Play Doom, and Halo CE.

At least R6 innovated with its cover system, what did Halo innovate, other than a new way to milk adolescent boys.

Halo, country to popular beliefs, has made significant changes with each game, as another poster here said.

The series isn't bad by any stretch, it's simply one more title on a large pile of mediocre shooters that come out every year, except this one has the most obnoxious amount of hype and fanboyism attached to it. Halo actually really stands out in the sea of Cod clones. its different from others and you know it.

Now let me throw this question back :

Why do you care so much if I didn't care for Halo?

Ok, let me get this straight. the post I posted before was because you said: Halo is mediocre, when that is not a fact, as you implied, but an opinion. You're the one not respecting other people's opinions, and being too arrogant and protective to give a decent argument

Do you see people making threads, "Why do people complain every time another Tom Clancy game comes out?"

That's because nobody cares.

Ppl care about Halo because Halo = Xbox360 prestige and symbolism

If you didn't like R6 Vegas, it really does not bother me.

But me not liking Halo irritates you.

? I honestly don't know where you are going here.

As far as I'm concerned, the best games are %99 multiplats, and the best of those are titles that didn't get a whole lot of hype or sales, like Left 4 Dead, R6 Vegas, Borderlands, Bioshock, Orange Box, Far Cry 2, MAG.

Compared to those titles, Halo is another "Super Mario" phenomenon that gets millions of sales, but nobody on anybody's friends list every plays it.

You've lost all credibility here.

Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

[QUOTE="Gibsonsg527"]

gpuFX16

I agree. I knew instinctively that Halo 4 would be announced at MS's E3, and I was disappointed despite enjoying the series quite a bit. 3 new titles? It would have been more satisfying to see something more original, but they know Halo will sell, so they just pushed the same stuff instead of coming up with something new (besides Kinect). I really don't see the need for another trilogy.

I wouldn't mind finishing Halo 4 because Halo 3 ended on a cliffhanger but after that they should stop. There is no reason to make a whole new trilogy.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ZombieKiller7

I have played both BioShock and the Orange Box extensively. I really enjoyed Bioshock, but hardly anything God-Like(and bioshock 2 was a step down). The Orange Box, i only really enjoyed Portal. No one plays TF2 on consoles, and HL2, save for Ep. 2, had so many fundamental flaws. So yes, i Still think Halo as one of the best FPS franchises out there, right now. Go Play Doom, and Halo CE.

gamedude234

There's not that many good first-person shooters out there. Name some off the top of your head.

Halo, R6 Vegas, Bioshock, Deadspace, Left 4 Dead, Far Cry 2, CoD, BF series, HL2, Crysis 2, Killzone....after that I'm drawing blanks.

Out of that pile, I put Halo somewhere towards the bottom, if not THE bottom right next to Killzone.

It takes too many bullets to kill stuff, I don't like that the player is a walking tank that can take so many hits, and the controls just didn't feel that good to me. On top of the that the storyline is cookie-cutter "Starship Troopers" fare and I'm sick of hearing about goddamn Master Chief.

Get a new IP already, this one's been ridden harder than John Marston's horse.

Halo actually really stands out in the sea of Cod clones. its different from others and you know it.gamedude234

Meh. It's good to have choices.

Ok, let me get this straight. the post I posted before was because you said: Halo is mediocre, when that is not a fact, as you implied, but an opinion. You're the one not respecting other people's opinions, and being too arrogant and protective to give a decent argumentgamedude234

This whole thread is "not respecting other people's opinions."

If people are sick of Halo and don't feel like playing another one, what's it to you?

You're offended that other people apparently don't like this series as much as you do.

? I honestly don't know where you are going here.gamedude234

Why do you care so much if other people don't like Halo as much as you do?

You've lost all credibility here.gamedude234

I have 12-15 people on my friends list, I've never seen any of them play Halo.

I see some of them playing CoD, and we play L4D sometimes.

anirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 anirin
Member since 2011 • 69 Posts

Go play Orange Box or Bioshock then come tell me with a straight face Halo is one of the best shooters.

The series isn't bad by any stretch, it's simply one more title on a large pile of mediocre shooters that come out every year, except this one has the most obnoxious amount of hype and fanboyism attached to it.

ZombieKiller7

I agree 100%. IMO Halo is an average FPS in a market filled with a lack of fresh ideas - successful because it managed to build a fanbase before the FPS genre really got going on consoles, and thanks to Microsoft's marketting. When the first game was released it was something special... now it's just living off its reputation.

I find the campaigns boring and don't understand why they get praised so much by fanboys. HL2 and Bioshock are far more inspiring, and probably other games I can't think of off my head. As for multiplayer, they're essentially re-releasing the same thing with minor additions... but at least they aren't as bad as the COD series in that respect.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="gamedude234"]

gamedude234

you're right, you didn't say it was bad: you said that "no matter what kind of modes you put there or what kind of improvements you add or what features you take away,it's still going to be a Call Of Duty and it's going to sell millions. Same with Halo...and that's sad.

essentially what you've said is, that if they improve the game so much as to reach near-perfection(i know there's no such thing as perfection, it was afire of speech), then it's sad. That's what you said. It's sad because it will still be viewed as Call of Duty, or Halo, or any popular franchise. I'm not saying that any of those 2 franchises are good or bad, just pointing that out.

Also: How is it sad that if they change Halo for the better, it will sell millions? Don't you what people playing good games? I can see how its sad if they change it for worse, but for better? You sure about that?

-I don't mind when a game makes improvements when necessary and takes away the bad stuff. That's fine; developers are doing their job and they deserve the money for doing what's right the first time. But to not improve the gameplay formula and make small changes to the gameplay in order to sell millions is very sad in general. You take away what made the game great and add in changes that make it worse and people still buy it like nothing ever happened, that's bad. Same thing with Call Of Duty - a lot of bad things happening in that game and people still don't care! Hey, it's Halo and Call Of Duty! Nothing can go wrong, right?

-That's not what I said at all. Halo gets better and better in a few areas, yet gets worse in other areas too. Whether it's from story to multiplayer, for better or worse, there's always something to nitpick on. So I wouldn't say that are changing Halo for the better, because even after...what, four games into the series now? They still have a lot more improvements to make to the formula. And the changes that I've seen are small, significant changes, but not all the areas have been improved. They still have some work to do before they can completely satisfy me, but I know for a fact that it will never happen. Developers are keen on trusting their own opinions and doing what they think is right when, for the most part, they are wrong.

-All that said, that's the general feeling that I'm getting. It's like Madden - they just update the graphics and improve the stats, but it's still the same game and it still gets bought like crazy, despite the small changes they make. It's nothing but a cash-cow to me and I'm starting to get the same feeling with Halo and Call Of Duty - make these small changes, do little else to update it or make it 10x better, and it will still sell. In other words, they are starting to get lazy and just rush it out the door in the hopes that it will sell millions and it will. Believe me, Halo and Call Of Duty have sold ridiculously well these days.

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#28 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts

I think the fact that Battlefield fans are complaining about the annual COD game is way more ironic.

Battlefield games:

Battlefield 1942 (not counting the many expansions)

Battlefield Vietnam

Battlefield 2(not counting the expansions and the Modern Combat games)

Battlefield 2142

Battlefield Bad Company

Battlefield 1943

Battlefield Bad Company 2

Battlefield 3

And then of course, there's the online games like Battlefield Heroes and Battlefield Play-4-Free

Call Of Duty games:

Call Of Duty

Call Of Duty 2 (not counting the ports for the last gen consoles)

Call Of Duty 3 (same as above)

Call Of Duty 4 Modern Warfare

Call Of Duty World At war

Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2

Call Of Duty Black Ops

Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 3

And just for the fun of it, Halo games:

Halo Combat evolved

Halo 2

Halo 3

Halo ODST

Halo Wars

Halo Reach

Hallo Anniversary

Halo 4 (and by the time this is out, there will already be an expansion for BF 3 and a new COD release. trust me)

EA is just as bad, if not worse, than Activision when it comes to milking their franchises. The BF fans are just too stubborn to admit that. And as you see, the Halo series hasn't been milked as bad as many people says. Oh and sorry for the long post :)

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I never understood why some get whiny about the "milky" of games when they have been doing that for a wihle.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
At least the main Halo games have a 3 year period between them.CRS98
Yes, they may be "milking" it, but they put effort in, and each main game feels like they have spent time working on improvements, rather than just pumping out another.
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

I've only played the original which actually had a halo in it and was about a halo. And I found it somewhat entertaining but nowhere near as "OMG Halo roXXors" as Xbox fans think. Do the sequels have anything to do with a halo? I haven't really followed that closely but from previews I didn't think they did. And Master Chief? Sheesh, talk about overrated. He's just a guy that wears an American Gladiators green uniform.

DeadlyNirvana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DeadlyNirvana
Member since 2011 • 46 Posts
My biggest peeve with Halo is the fact that in Reach solo Legendary isn't that hard I have done it twice; I shall post gamertags if someone goes LIAR!!!11!!!! The Armor abilities are horrific, apart from Sprint and Hologram I despise them. Hate of Reach over I love the other Halo games and Halo 3 is one of my top FPS games, the reason people are hating on H4 and CE HD is that CoD won't sell as many copies with another contender on the list. Bottom line, haters gonna hate.
gamedude234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gamedude234

[QUOTE="gamedude234"]

I have played both BioShock and the Orange Box extensively. I really enjoyed Bioshock, but hardly anything God-Like(and bioshock 2 was a step down). The Orange Box, i only really enjoyed Portal. No one plays TF2 on consoles, and HL2, save for Ep. 2, had so many fundamental flaws. So yes, i Still think Halo as one of the best FPS franchises out there, right now. Go Play Doom, and Halo CE.

ZombieKiller7

There's not that many good first-person shooters out there. Name some off the top of your head.

Halo, R6 Vegas, Bioshock, Deadspace, Left 4 Dead, Far Cry 2, CoD, BF series, HL2, Crysis 2, Killzone....after that I'm drawing blanks.

Out of that pile, I put Halo somewhere towards the bottom, if not THE bottom right next to Killzone.

It takes too many bullets to kill stuff, I don't like that the player is a walking tank that can take so many hits, and the controls just didn't feel that good to me. On top of the that the storyline is cookie-cutter "Starship Troopers" fare and I'm sick of hearing about goddamn Master Chief.

Get a new IP already, this one's been ridden harder than John Marston's horse.

When did you start gaming? This gen? because that's what it looks like. I respect your opinion, but man, is that a bad list of "good shooters". In my eyes and many other peoples eyes anyway. And I also respect your "argument" for disliking Halo. 20 million people like it, that's not everybody. Though you could make a more cohesive argument, but I see that your opinion won't be changed by me, however: opines constantly change.

Halo actually really stands out in the sea of Cod clones. its different from others and you know it.gamedude234

Meh. It's good to have choices.

Yes, it is good to have choices. and for good choices, you need variety. Since Halo is different from most shooters, it adds to the variety, which is a good thing, no?

Ok, let me get this straight. the post I posted before was because you said: Halo is mediocre, when that is not a fact, as you implied, but an opinion. You're the one not respecting other people's opinions, and being too arrogant and protective to give a decent argumentgamedude234

This whole thread is "not respecting other people's opinions."

If people are sick of Halo and don't feel like playing another one, what's it to you?

You're offended that other people apparently don't like this series as much as you do.

How am I offended? I've said several times that you're entitled to your opinion and that's that.

? I honestly don't know where you are going here.gamedude234

Why do you care so much if other people don't like Halo as much as you do?

You've lost all credibility here.gamedude234

I have 12-15 people on my friends list, I've never seen any of them play Halo.

I see some of them playing CoD, and we play L4D sometimes.

You're in the minority. Also, 12-15 friends is NOT a credible source of information.