Why do FPS are not very good at telling a Good Story?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mcgnnis1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Mcgnnis1
Member since 2006 • 811 Posts
Since the day i bought my PS2 and after playing Red Faction 2 i've been a big fan of FPS games but due to the lack of FPS on PS2 i bought Xbox as well. There i encountered a little game called Halo and i was completely blown away by it. I mean it had one of the best stories i have ever witnessed in a video game format. (Face it people the story of the Halo franchise is way better than some B-rate Sci-Fi movies). But as i played more FPs games i noticed that they never really focused on a decent story. I mean sure Half-Life 2 was a phenominal game story wise but still it was like 1 game in 100. So my question is that Why do developers doesn't focus on creating a good story for the game. I mean every single FPS i have played is kinda light of story and big on action. Now i know peopple like to play more multiplayer than single player. But what's so bad about telling a good story huh?
savetehhaloz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#2 savetehhaloz
Member since 2007 • 2373 Posts
ah well.. it is hard to come up with an immersive and engaging story after all. But that is no reason to for game devs. to come up with a near storyless game. FPS games mainly focus on the combat and action more then story. And it is easier to tell a story in an RPG since it is much slower and there is more emphasis on cutscenes.
Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts
...Have you ever played a Metroid Prime game?
Mcgnnis1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mcgnnis1

ah well.. it is hard to come up with an immersive and engaging story after all. But that is no reason to for game devs. to come up with a near storyless game. FPS games mainly focus on the combat and action more then story. And it is easier to tell a story in an RPG since it is much slower and there is more emphasis on cutscenes.savetehhaloz

True. But i am not saying that they should just focus solely on story..i mean isn't a good story an important part of a video game? If devs only focus on comabt then we wouldn't had games like Half Life, Halo and Brothers of Arms etc. I mean i'm pretty sure that many People remember Halo for its engaging storyline.. well now its more about how good its multiplayer is.

Mcgnnis1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mcgnnis1

...Have you ever played a Metroid Prime game?Erebyssial

No. Sorry I never played one. But i never said about it having a bad storyline. I know how good Metroid Prime games are.

Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts
If you like FPS that have a great storyline as well, Metroid Prime games are amazing.
Sroek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sroek
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
I don't think it's fair to say that the entire FPS genre is lacking in the story department when it doesn't sound like you have much experience with FPS games. Try the Chronicles of Riddick, Deus Ex, System Shock and The Darkness.
Stavr0s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Stavr0s
Member since 2007 • 1003 Posts

Well, some won't agree with me, but I think that The Darkness had an excellent story. Hell, I even cared for the characters,

Condemned Criminal Origens had a good story too. If you have a 360 or a good computer, check both of them out.

DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts

Why are so many RPGs and RTSs and other games not very good at telling a good story?

Solid writing is not usually the focus of games these days since it is so easy for publishers to make so much money off of mediocrity. Good stories in any type of game are a rare thing to see.

Mcgnnis1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mcgnnis1

I don't think it's fair to say that the entire FPS genre is lacking in the story department when it doesn't sound like you have much experience with FPS games. Try the Chronicles of Riddick, Deus Ex, System Shock and The Darkness.Sroek

Well like i said..not every FPS sucks at telling a good story. All those games you mentioned are really great.But you will also notice that none of these games have a very good multiplayer. I can't sayanything about DeusEx or System Shock.Its just i am seeing that trend of lackluster single player campaign with a good storylineto be growing. I mean can anybody say that games like UT 3 or COD 4 has a good storyline. But then again its a shooter right?what can we expect from a game whose single player campaign length is like 5 hours long. I mean the guys who developed Bioshock didn't they focused on telling a good story rather than a good multiplayer? My point is that developers can tell a good story if they want but in my opinion nowadays everybody is making gamnes with a good multiplayer in mind. not that its a bad thing but well it would be cool if FPS devs start focusing on telling good stories in their games with a solid multiplayer.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Half Life told a real good story, and so did Unreal and Halo.
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#12 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

Since the day i bought my PS2 and after playing Red Faction 2 i've been a big fan of FPS games but due to the lack of FPS on PS2 i bought Xbox as well. There i encountered a little game called Halo and i was completely blown away by it. I mean it had one of the best stories i have ever witnessed in a video game format. (Face it people the story of the Halo franchise is way better than some B-rate Sci-Fi movies). But as i played more FPs games i noticed that they never really focused on a decent story. I mean sure Half-Life 2 was a phenominal game story wise but still it was like 1 game in 100. So my question is that Why do developers doesn't focus on creating a good story for the game. I mean every single FPS i have played is kinda light of story and big on action. Now i know peopple like to play more multiplayer than single player. But what's so bad about telling a good story huh? Mcgnnis1

I think most FPS developers believe their audience is similar to an action movie audience. Both are there for action, explosions, etc., while the narrative can take a back seat. I tend to agree with their belief, but also wish there were better stories out there.

Have you tried Bioshock yet? I loved that story.

Koba123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Koba123
Member since 2005 • 1739 Posts
FEAR is the only FPS game that i have played, that ended up looking like a game with a great story, i was so in that game i cant remember was the story actually any good.... :P
Kamais_Ookin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Kamais_Ookin
Member since 2007 • 123 Posts

Not anymore, especially with the new "Perseus Mandate" that game is horrible.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
You have an Xbox and think Halo has a great story? Well, I guess its time you get The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay. The most highly under-appreciated title of last gen. Easily one of the greatest FPS/Stealth/Action games ever made.
N0han

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 N0han
Member since 2007 • 982 Posts

I guess the main reason is the goal that a FPS game has. Its goal is to deliver you either massive shootouts that will give you an epic feeling, or making you feel part of a very small squad (COD4 does this) that tries to handle the elite badguys.

In these scenario's you only need to know the name of the character you play, the faction it fights for and the reason it fights against others. To make you want to kill the enemies it is needed to only get one side of the story, your side. Otherwise you would be able to feel some symphatie and will not get that epic good vs bad feeling. Making a bigger and or longer story means more dialogue and more thinking while most of the FPS-players just pick up the game because they want to frag some evil looking enemies and perform just impossible actions.

RPG players on the other hand prefer getting to know all about the characters and the universe. Therefore you get to know more about your enemies and get to make decisions/ role play / think while gaming. These games have a better story because it is the gamers that buy this games expect them to have a top notch story that grabs you.

Some games try to make combinations between RPGS and FPS like mass effect for example but then again its probably more of an RPG imo.

A fact is that great shooters with boring storys will sell pretty good aswell, aslong as the shootouts give you an intense feeling. Having said this, there are alot of shooters that add a fun story aswell, not enough tho.

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts
Dude, most games don't have a good story, not just the shoot people in the face variety. Even most RPGs have very lame, cliche, and convuluted stories. By saying only 1 type of game has this problem is ignoring the real issues, in that the plot is usually not the primary concern for those making the game. This isn't a problem to me, and it can be fun when a game has a decent plot, but most of the time I don't need anything more than what we got with something like Gears of War.
Mcgnnis1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mcgnnis1

You have an Xbox and think Halo has a great story? Well, I guess its time you get The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay. The most highly under-appreciated title of last gen. Easily one of the greatest FPS/Stealth/Action games ever made.foxhound_fox

Actually i do own Chronicles of Riddick and has finished it multiple times. And yes it has one of the best stories told in a FPS medium.

Mcgnnis1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mcgnnis1

I guess the main reason is the goal that a FPS game has. Its goal is to deliver you either massive shootouts that will give you an epic feeling, or making you feel part of a very small squad (COD4 does this) that tries to handle the elite badguys.

In these scenario's you only need to know the name of the character you play, the faction it fights for and the reason it fights against others. To make you want to kill the enemies it is needed to only get one side of the story, your side. Otherwise you would be able to feel some symphatie and will not get that epic good vs bad feeling. Making a bigger and or longer story means more dialogue and more thinking while most of the FPS-players just pick up the game because they want to frag some evil looking enemies and perform just impossible actions.

RPG players on the other hand prefer getting to know all about the characters and the universe. Therefore you get to know more about your enemies and get to make decisions/ role play / think while gaming. These games have a better story because it is the gamers that buy this games expect them to have a top notch story that grabs you.

Some games try to make combinations between RPGS and FPS like mass effect for example but then again its probably more of an RPG imo.

A fact is that great shooters with boring storys will sell pretty good aswell, aslong as the shootouts give you an intense feeling. Having said this, there are alot of shooters that add a fun story aswell, not enough tho.

N0han

Absolutely true. but what i'm trying to say is that its not that big of a deal that a FPS focuses more on action and less on Story..obviously you are playing the game to kill the bad guys right? But you know how sometimes a developer would go to an extra length to create a good story with great gameplay even though they don't have to since they can focus more on the action and multiplayer part. I'm just saying that it would be nice to see a good story with great action.

stephant_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 stephant_6
Member since 2005 • 1758 Posts

-System Shock

-Bioshock

-Half-Life

-Deus Ex

Play them.

feel_freetwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 feel_freetwo
Member since 2006 • 1888 Posts
1- bioshock doesnt have a good story. dont confuss intriging atmosphere, and a strong narrative. the story is in the end no different to half the games out there. 2- story doesnt matter, as long as it gets you from point A to point B it does the job, take re4 for example. 3- halo 1 had a good story, 2 and 3 didnt.
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
I think there have been more than you think. But anyway the trouble (with most every genre) is telling a good story without interfereing with gameplay. But not having a deep story isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes you just want to shoot **** :D
-Cranium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 -Cranium
Member since 2003 • 4377 Posts
Halo:CE and Half Life come to mind when I think of FPS with strong stories. Deus Ex as well. First Person Shooters are more of a pick up and play experience, then say RPGs.
Avatar image for instantdeath999
instantdeath999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 instantdeath999
Member since 2007 • 3470 Posts

I know it's not a shooter, but it is an action game. The metal gear solid series have great stories.

And I think Halo has a great story also, even more so after reading the books.

Avatar image for instantdeath999
instantdeath999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 instantdeath999
Member since 2007 • 3470 Posts

1- bioshock doesnt have a good story. dont confuss intriging atmosphere, and a strong narrative. the story is in the end no different to half the games out there. 2- story doesnt matter, as long as it gets you from point A to point B it does the job, take re4 for example. 3- halo 1 had a good story, 2 and 3 didnt.feel_freetwo

About your second statement... I couldn't dissagree more. Nothing screams "laziness" to me more than a crappy story that only gives you the slightest excuse to kill everything that moves.

N0han

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 N0han
Member since 2007 • 982 Posts
[QUOTE="N0han"]

Mcgnnis1

Absolutely true. but what i'm trying to say is that its not that big of a deal that a FPS focuses more on action and less on Story..obviously you are playing the game to kill the bad guys right? But you know how sometimes a developer would go to an extra length to create a good story with great gameplay even though they don't have to since they can focus more on the action and multiplayer part. I'm just saying that it would be nice to see a good story with great action.

Your right on that part, and thats why the shooters with good stories and settings end up having a change on the GOTY list, however its not needed, but its great if it does have a story. Thats why I prefer COD4 above HALO 3, although halo 3 is epic, I just prefer the story of cod4.

feel_freetwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 feel_freetwo
Member since 2006 • 1888 Posts

[QUOTE="feel_freetwo"]1- bioshock doesnt have a good story. dont confuss intriging atmosphere, and a strong narrative. the story is in the end no different to half the games out there. 2- story doesnt matter, as long as it gets you from point A to point B it does the job, take re4 for example. 3- halo 1 had a good story, 2 and 3 didnt.instantdeath999

About your second statement... I couldn't dissagree more. Nothing screams "laziness" to me more than a crappy story that only gives you the slightest excuse to kill everything that moves.

re4 is one of the best games of all time, and its story was rubbish. if something is just a excuse for killing everything, then its not the fault of the story, but the game.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#28 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts
[QUOTE="instantdeath999"]

[QUOTE="feel_freetwo"]1- bioshock doesnt have a good story. dont confuss intriging atmosphere, and a strong narrative. the story is in the end no different to half the games out there. 2- story doesnt matter, as long as it gets you from point A to point B it does the job, take re4 for example. 3- halo 1 had a good story, 2 and 3 didnt.feel_freetwo

re4 is one of the best games of all time, and its story was rubbish. if something is just a excuse for killing everything, then its not the fault of the story, but the game.

The reason FPS don't include good stories is tofitwith feel_freetwo capacity :P kidding a joke!

Use gs PM yahoo doesn't work btw!

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

1- bioshock doesnt have a good story. dont confuss intriging atmosphere, and a strong narrative. the story is in the end no different to half the games out there. 2- story doesnt matter, as long as it gets you from point A to point B it does the job, take re4 for example. 3- halo 1 had a good story, 2 and 3 didnt.feel_freetwo

Nah, I disagree about Bioshock. Those diaries told a heck of a good story. Granted, not incredibly original, but more interesting than most things out there.