Why can't my computer run Witcher 2 while consoles can?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by greengloop (285 posts) -

I have a MacBook Pro with a 2.26 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM and a GeForce 9400m and I run Windows 8 on it. It can run games like Team Fortress 2 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 fine. However Witcher 2 is like a slideshow. Even at the lowest graphics settings and a measly 640x480 resolution it is not quite acceptable. Consoles came out in around 2006 yet they can run the game quite well with 720p/30fps. If PC gaming is so good and old hardware runs fine for a long time how come my computer can't run this game? It meets the minimum system requirements, yet it doesnt even come close to console quality.

I don't mind my computer not being able to run the game right now (afterall it has a mobile GPU) but what I am more concerned about is doling out about a grand next year for a gaming PC and then finding out just 3 or 4 years down the line that while consoles continue to run the latest games at medium and acceptable settings, my PC shows a slideshow for the same games.

#2 Posted by wis3boi (31382 posts) -

I have a MacBook Pro with a 2.26 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM and a GeForce 9400m and I run Windows 8 on it. It can run games like Team Fortress 2 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 fine. However Witcher 2 is like a slideshow. Even at the lowest graphics settings and a measly 640x480 resolution it is not quite acceptable. Consoles came out in around 2006 yet they can run the game quite well with 720p/30fps. If PC gaming is so good and old hardware runs fine for a long time how come my computer can't run this game? It meets the minimum system requirements, yet it doesnt even come close to console quality.

I don't mind my computer not being able to run the game right now (afterall it has a mobile GPU) but what I am more concerned about is doling out about a grand next year for a gaming PC and then finding out just 3 or 4 years down the line that while consoles continue to run the latest games at medium and acceptable settings, my PC shows a slideshow for the same games.

greengloop

Your card is a lot worse than the ones in any console

#3 Posted by greengloop (285 posts) -

Yeah I suspected that. Are there some benchmarks where I can compare my card with another card thats about equivalent to those on the consoles?

Also could you answer my question in the second paragraph? Thanks for the reply!

#4 Posted by ZimpanX (12636 posts) -

Laptops are weak compared to desktops and not really made for gaming. The GPUs in the 360/PS3 are about equalent to the Geforce 7900 or the AMD HD 2900 series which are far superior to that 9400M of yours. Plus console games have been optimized to run with a specific hardware setup in mind.

Are there some benchmarks where I can compare my card with another card thats about equivalent to those on the consoles?

greengloop

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/HD_2900_XT/12.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9400M-G.11949.0.html

Does that help?

#5 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18479 posts) -
My gaming laptop could run FarCry 2 and Dead Space on ultra but couldn't run Oblivion or Hellgate decently. PC gaming is random business and minimum requirements are always a lie.
#6 Posted by funsohng (27962 posts) -

I have a MacBook Pro

greengloop
Answer.
#7 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="greengloop"]

I have a MacBook Pro

funsohng

Answer.

Yup.

If you want a gaming PC then get a desktop or a gaming laptop. These laptops and most dekstops you find in stores are not designed to run games, consoles are designed for exactly that.

If you can afford to drop over a grand on a MacBook pro then you can afford to buy a decent $600 gaming PC which run Witcher 2 without any issues and will run most games coming out in the next few years at a decent framerate as long as you are willing to cut back on some graphics features.

#8 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6255 posts) -

Don't bother with PC gaming unless you're very dedicated and very tech saavy.

If you just want to be able to sit down and play games in peace without alot of fooling around, use your Xbox.

#10 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

Have to be a proper nerd to fully get into PC gaming.

Although even i know that laptops suck balls when running games.

#11 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18479 posts) -

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

If you just want to be able to sit down and play games in peace without alot of fooling around, use your Xbox.

ionusX

begone trollface!

He's right though.
#12 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

Black_Knight_00

begone trollface!

He's right though.

No he's not. I have an easier time booting up my PC and playing games on it than I do on my PS3.

#13 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18479 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="ionusX"] begone trollface!

S0lidSnake

He's right though.

No he's not. I have an easier time booting up my PC and playing games on it than I do on my PS3.

#14 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Black_Knight_00

So? I could post a screenshot of my PS3 version of BLOPS2 which refused to even load to the main menu after installing Patch 1.03. Or Skyrim PS3's infamous framerate issues.

Point is, some games are poorly optimized. Same is true for PC games. Saying all PC games require you to toy around wiht the settings and whatnot before you can play them is ridiculous. Most PC games have an auto-detect setting that defaults the best setting for your system. The fact that it allows you to customize these settings to get the best out of your system is a PLUS. You played MAG with me, you saw how terrible the framerate was. Now imagine if we were able to turn off the AA and other graphical settings to get a better framerate and how much more playable it would've been.

That combined with auto patching and insanely fast loading times mean I save upto an hour with every PC game that I finish. Rage, Splinter Cell, Deus Ex, Sleeping Dogs load in seconds on my PC.

#15 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

[QUOTE="greengloop"]

I have a MacBook Pro

funsohng

Answer.

lmao. Yeah I stopped reading there.

#16 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6255 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="ionusX"] begone trollface!

S0lidSnake

He's right though.

Stop turning this forum into system wars, my suggestion to help someone has been dragged into the "but PC is just as easy" e-peen land.

Common sense, appliance vs computer, appliances are simpler.

Insecure asshats.

#18 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] He's right though.ZombieKiller7

Stop turning this forum into system wars, my suggestion to help someone has been dragged into the "but PC is just as easy" e-peen land.

Insecure asshats.

you quit posting on gamespot your doing the exact same thing every time you open your mouth.

sign-gtfo-400.jpg

#19 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6255 posts) -

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

ionusX

Insecure asshats.

you quit posting on gamespot your doing the exact same thing every time you open your mouth.

sign-gtfo-400.jpg

Way to be disruptive.

Go away sexpest.

#20 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18479 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

ionusX

you psoted a meaningless and off-topic .jpg in an attempt to make yourself seem right. congradulations you are now officially as dumb as cheleman

PC games have more problems than console games. Denying as much is insane.
#21 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]  Black_Knight_00

you psoted a meaningless and off-topic .jpg in an attempt to make yourself seem right. congradulations you are now officially as dumb as cheleman

PC games have more problems than console games. Denying as much is insane.

no they dont the playing field is actually rather level. with the advent of cloud gaming and digital distribution as well as the narrowing of the hardware market down to two handfuls of companies (three if you in asia) controlling everything the issue of determining hardware for a game is soo much simpler and the issue of bugs is prevelent on both a console and a pc. the difference is that the console as a platform can do VERY little to change its problems relying on the developers to continue supporting the game and the publisher to support that action. whereas the on the pc these problems can be fixed 8/10 by the community. in fact i argue that there is no reason beyond "i cant and/or wont play games without a controller b/c im like that" to be playing on a console anymore. and if the gaming communities ever broke that self placed barrier between them and the world of pc gaming. there would be a huge market shift and you would see an end to the only other thing left to entice people to get a console beyond this self imposed barrier, which is the exclusives.

the field is level u is just butthurt that we taking over.

#22 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18479 posts) -
the field is level u is just butthurt that we taking over.ionusX
This sentence is the perfect sum of the asinine argument that precedes it
#23 Posted by c_rakestraw (14683 posts) -

Another thread lost to the System Wars folk.

Thanks for ruining an otherwise harmless thread.