Why are there no good dinosaur games??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cryfreedom66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 cryfreedom66
Member since 2005 • 654 Posts

I was playing FC3 the other day and the though occurred to me...why hasn't a good AAA dinosaur game been released?

You'd be hard pressed to find a person alive, especially gamers (males 16-35 demographic more specifically) who would not love a game like this. Dinosaurs were a huge part of my childhood (and pretty much every other boy in the world) and I, for one, would love a chance to kill, and be killed, by them...

Imagine a game like FC3 that featured a huge open world crawling with well animated, smartly programmed dinosaurs...amazing!

The last modern gen dinosaur game that comes to mind was Turok, and that was a lackluster, on the rails, corridor shooter...and I recently saw a trailer for a new source engine mod for jurassic park...which is nice, but the production value on a free mod will never match what a big studio could put out.

Please someone tell me why noone has taken advantage of the dino genre!!

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

You've never played Dino Crisis, Primal Rage or Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis?

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

Simple answer: because nobody has done it successfully yet,and the suits in the big publishers' offices are so disconnected from their childhood that they don't know how easy it would be to sell a big budget dinosaur game.

The industry at large is very much a "me too" industry. One company makes a WW2 FPS that becomes popular and then everyone makes WW2 FPS. Then someone makes a successful modern FPS and then everybody makes modern FPS. It's always been like that, mind you. The SNES had so many identical beat em 'ups, for example.

We'll see a good dinosaur game some day. And if it sells, it will get 5 sequels and 20 similar games will be made.

cryfreedom66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cryfreedom66
Member since 2005 • 654 Posts

You've never played Dino Crisis, Primal Rage or Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis?

Ilovegames1992

haha i've played all 3 of those games and they are all 10+ years old....not really relevant to what i'm talking about..

plus one of those is a 2d fighting game and one is a park sim soo not really sure where you're going with that...

LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 LJChronx
Member since 2003 • 954 Posts

I actually thought the first two Turok games on the N64 were pretty good. But your right, they havent made any recent dino games that are even close to AAA. They really are missing out on free money IMO. People love dinos and videogames seem to be a perfect fit for the two together.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Unleash the dinosaurs from their cages in the zoo tycoon expansion pack and let the madness ensue.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

cryfreedom66

haha i've played all 3 of those games and they are all 10+ years old....not really relevant to what i'm talking about..

plus one of those is a 2d fighting game and one is a park sim soo not really sure where you're going with that...

They're all games... boss games. But i get your point. Maybe dinosaurs aren't as cool as they used to be. I still think they're the sh!t.

But ok how about King Kong? Technically a film adaptation but a pretty good game with dinosaurs in.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

On Steam there's Primal Carnage, where you can play either as Dinosaur and killing people, or people, and killing Dinosaurs. It isn't an AAA game and also certainly not perfect, but it works and entertains so far.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#9 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

On Steam there's Primal Carnage, where you can play either as Dinosaur and killing people, or people, and killing Dinosaurs. It isn't an AAA game and also certainly not perfect, but it works and entertains so far.

Justforvisit
that is a pretty sweet game i think.