Why are gamers so emotional to criticism?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Express your dislike or disappointment for whatever game and fans label you a troll regardless if you give legitamate reasons. When you ask them 'what makes this a great game in your opinion?', they can never give you a straight answer or engage you a decent discussion but would rather have your posts deleted.

If a stranger online expresses dislike for any game I'm enjoying, I can respect their opinion and engage them in a friendly debate rather than feeling offended and feel the need to label them a troll.

The insane backlash over game reviews like Resident Evil 6, Uncharted 3, Skyward Sword were just individual opinions of the reviewer and have no effect on a fan's enjoyment of that game. Why so emotional?

Tazzman1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Tazzman1000
Member since 2012 • 638 Posts
Thats the beauty of internet forums
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Insecurity and immaturity.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this behavior is not a sole proclivity of gamers.

honestly I have no idea why people care so much about the reviews, it's not as if they have any impact on sales.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts
Well first of all there are plenty of people who can explain quite well why they enjoy any particular game so it's not like all fans of a game behave like you imply. Also this is something that goes both ways. Why do some gamers need to try and prove so hard that people should hate something because they hate it and label it's fans as blind fanboys?
187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 187umKILLAH
Member since 2010 • 1414 Posts

Bigboi500

- This.
A lot of gamers have trouble accepting that individuals have a right to form their own opinion without following the crowd, just because a game is popular doesn't mean we all have to like it. I don't get this need some have of constantly replying to people who disagree with their opinion and comment on how wrong they are and how the game is awesome to them, it's only a fanboy who feels everyone should praise the game they love so much and no one on the planet could possibly dislike that certain game. If you can explain legitimate reasons why you dislike a game then by definition you are not a troll, if you can respect others right to express their dislike for a game you enjoy a lot you are not a fanboy. Simple as that.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#7 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
IM NOT EMOTIONAL, YOU ARE !
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HipHopBeats

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this behavior is not a sole proclivity of gamers.

honestly I have no idea why people care so much about the reviews, it's not as if they have any impact on sales.

SirWander

True. Even with bad reviews there's no way the # of sales and personal enjoyment. It's like a form of mindless ioldatry damn near worshipping a product. Seems like a rarity to find people willing to engage in a friendly debate about likes / dislikes without resorting to unnecessary insults.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HipHopBeats

IM NOT EMOTIONAL, YOU ARE ! Allicrombie

Lol, if you want emotions, visit the Bioware forums. :cool:

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
That's not specific to gamers. The world population at large reacts emotionally to criticism.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

*Shrugs* I agree reviews are nothing to get work up over, but in fairness, people who like a game tend to be no more or less eloquent than people who dislike it.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#12 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

depends if your engaging in conversations with adults or children.. Adults generally know how to engage in conversation respecting what others generally think concerning a much loved game, whether good or bad.. I generally find 'on here' that it's usually kids that can't except negative comments concerning their much loved games.

Lord_Nas3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lord_Nas3k
Member since 2006 • 1492 Posts

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]IM NOT EMOTIONAL, YOU ARE ! HipHopBeats

Lol, if you want emotions, visit the Bioware forums. :cool:

lol wtf u talkin abot?? miranda is so frekin dum!!!! i duno how u can evn think shes a gud romance!!tali master race rite here!!!

I can't even look at those forums seriously.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#14 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

That's pretty much System Wars for you, one negative comment about a game and people go haywire...

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

Express your dislike or disappointment for whatever game and fans label you a troll regardless if you give legitamate reasons. When you ask them 'what makes this a great game in your opinion?', they can never give you a straight answer or engage you a decent discussion but would rather have your posts deleted.

If a stranger online expresses dislike for any game I'm enjoying, I can respect their opinion and engage them in a friendly debate rather than feeling offended and feel the need to label them a troll.

The insane backlash over game reviews like Resident Evil 6, Uncharted 3, Skyward Sword were just individual opinions of the reviewer and have no effect on a fan's enjoyment of that game. Why so emotional?

HipHopBeats

I can relate. It's difficult to know why some people are so obsessed with attacking others for criticizing a game they like or trying to badger others into seeing things their way. Whether or not you like a game comes down to your own personal prefences, and there is nothing to debate in that regard. They are games after all.

Most forums tend to have a handful of forum bullies, especially forums that have a more general appeal like this one. I don't suppose it should be all that surprising that there would be a wider variance in the maturity levels of the members in a forum about games than in a forum aimed at professionals.

It's been my experience thus far when posting something here that some others find objectionable that I always get attacked by the same four or five people regardless of the topic. You just have to take it with a grain of salt, steer clear of the flak and enjoy the forums in your own right.

SouljerDGU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SouljerDGU
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I'm a bit guilty of this myself as when I like a game I feel as everyone should like it, I have to constantly remind myself that my opinion of a game is my own and not everyone has the same mentality, it's not like I go all fanboy on someone who expresses dislike but I will be a touch biased but still engage in a mature debate.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

It is more about the large number reading your comment, and a tiny few give that type of answer.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

What I hate most about it is how people practically label me as a dumbass or heretic when I say I hate games like Batman Arkham City or Assassin's Creed.

"You can't hate those games! EVERYONE MUST LOVE THEM! They're AAA games!!! You're an idiot for not liking them." -_-

According to most gamers today, the only games worth playing are those that average AAA scores. That's what I hate about video game criticism. People will blindly follow the professional critics.

I don't understand why people care so much about scores. I play whatever I like. I don't care if my favorite game got a 4/10. I'll still like it.

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

These gamers treat their favorite games as gods and need to defend their "honor" which explains why they become emotional. I personally find this type of gamer behavior quite idolatrous.

mikeyMKII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mikeyMKII
Member since 2009 • 754 Posts

Bigboi500

This.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 capaho

What I hate most about it is how people practically label me as a dumbass or heretic when I say I hate games like Batman Arkham City or Assassin's Creed.

"You can't hate those games! EVERYONE MUST LOVE THEM! They're AAA games!!! You're an idiot for not liking them." -_-

According to most gamers today, the only games worth playing are those that average AAA scores. That's what I hate about video game criticism. People will blindly follow the professional critics.

I don't understand why people care so much about scores. I play whatever I like. I don't care if my favorite game got a 4/10. I'll still like it.

GeoffZak

Well said. I couldn't agree more. The only rating that really matters when you're playing a game is your own.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 capaho

It is more about the large number reading your comment, and a tiny few give that type of answer.

wiouds

Unfortunately, that tiny few can be extremely hostile and disruptive.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

capaho

Unfortunately, that tiny few can be extremely hostile and disruptive.

What is worse is that many seem to think that tiny few stand for the large group.

I have been attack because I state that I believe that the indies games are not innovative and are reducing the amount of true innovation that is going on. I seen comments that are in line with my thoughts, but it is easy for me to think that most believes the song and dance the indie game are doing.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#24 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Immaturity I guess.

I used to be like that, back when I was 11 years old and just discovering the internet (those were dark days). I counterattacked anyone who attacked my favorite anime, game, etc. Then as I grew older I realized it was really no big deal for someone not to agree with me. I don't care if someone wants to criticize a game I adore. Their criticism might actually be valid, and I might even agree with them if I just calmed down and had a proper discussion instead of going "OMG NOOB, YOU HAVE NO TASTE, GO KILL YERSELF!!!111"

I'm assuming the people who actually get worked up over someone insulting their favorite game are either immature kids, or just someone who has yet to come to the realization that -GASP- Not everyone is gonna like what you like. (SHOCKER!)

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#25 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Internet toughs, trying to get tougher.

-

I don't pay them any mind as their opinions and trolling are usually so idiotic it's funny. Gaming for me is a hobby not a religion, I treat it as such and try to have some fun on the forums, but it's getting harder and harder with the shear amount of first class fools over on SW.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

The internet is pretty much an exaggeration of everything

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

HipHopBeats
uncharted 3 scored a AAA....did the fans clamour because it was scored high? lol and think about it...most of these gs users are either young, nerdy, or people that have deep attachments....sports fans are the same way...
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#28 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

Some people cannot handle different opinions, especially on the interenet which acts as a soap box for the smallest minority of people. This is why you find more racists on the internet than in real life, it allows them to hide behind a computer screen and be vocal wihtout any consequences.

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3106 Posts

PMS or menopause.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

Express your dislike or disappointment for whatever game and fans label you a troll regardless if you give legitamate reasons.HipHopBeats

i dont know what fantasy world ur living in, but most people dont give "legitimate" reasons, and thats why i stopped forum posting; except to troll... you bastard.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 capaho

What is worse is that many seem to think that tiny few stand for the large group.

I have been attack because I state that I believe that the indies games are not innovative and are reducing the amount of true innovation that is going on. I seen comments that are in line with my thoughts, but it is easy for me to think that most believes the song and dance the indie game are doing.

wiouds

I think the actual problem is that the tiny few think they stand for the large group. I think the majority of people simply prefer to stay out of it when the tiny few start wrecking a discussion.

SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
Trust i wonder the same thing all the time... i read some many posts that i'm just sitting there like is this guy serious? if you care about the opinions of strangers on the internet you need to get out more. alot more.
homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts

SirWander
That's hardly true. There's word of mouth for a reason, especially as games are still not cheap, many people either look online or ask around to find out how good a game may be. While it's true that reviews don't heavily move games, there's no denying that there is some weight, if not, EA wouldn't have contract deals where some studios get bonuses if their games score well enough at MetaCritic. And don't say "That's just EA being greedy, etc."
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 HipHopBeats

depends if your engaging in conversations with adults or children.. Adults generally know how to engage in conversation respecting what others generally think concerning a much loved game, whether good or bad.. I generally find 'on here' that it's usually kids that can't except negative comments concerning their much loved games.

DecadesOfGaming

That's the thing, I'm not sure if all of the wall of texts, nerd rage posts is coming from teenagers and not adults in their late 20's and early 30's. Many times, I've attempted to have friendly discussions asking someone what makes them like a certain game I may have overlooked and they respond with 'troll' or 'hater'.

lol wtf u talkin abot?? miranda is so frekin dum!!!! i duno how u can evn think shes a gud romance!!tali master race rite here!!!

I can't even look at those forums seriously.

Lord_Nas3k

Same here. Plus the way Bioware forums are designed, my eyes get sore trying to read endless walls of text crying about the same disappointment that has been addressed months ago. Sad thing is while I can appreciate Mass effect franchise for what it is, most of the Mass Effect community appear very anal and unfriendly if you haven't memorized every detail of the lore.

I can relate. It's difficult to know why some people are so obsessed with attacking others for criticizing a game they like or trying to badger others into seeing things their way. Whether or not you like a game comes down to your own personal prefences, and there is nothing to debate in that regard. They are games after all.

Most forums tend to have a handful of forum bullies, especially forums that have a more general appeal like this one. I don't suppose it should be all that surprising that there would be a wider variance in the maturity levels of the members in a forum about games than in a forum aimed at professionals.

It's been my experience thus far when posting something here that some others find objectionable that I always get attacked by the same four or five people regardless of the topic. You just have to take it with a grain of salt, steer clear of the flak and enjoy the forums in your own right.

capaho

I've seen a couple of crazy youtube rant vids from weirdos who rage as if their whole life revolves around gaming but funny thing is people don't seem to act bizzare like that in person at a game store discussing likes / dislikes over whatever game. Or maybe I just never ran into them, lol. Makes me wonder is it the anonymity of the internet that encourages outrageous behavior.