Who has ordered an Oculus Rift?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

I have, about 2 weeks ago.

Dev model of course ($300)

super excited.

#2 Posted by MirkoS77 (7018 posts) -

I'm waiting until the finalized consumer version hits. I hope it's out before Star Citizen.

#3 Posted by Jacanuk (3926 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

I have, about 2 weeks ago.

Dev model of course ($300)

super excited.

Same here even tho its only a dev model i couldn't wait and it seems to be so far along that its worth it.

#4 Posted by kaealy (1447 posts) -

Have already owned a dev version and sold it, waiting for the customer release.

#5 Posted by wiouds (5018 posts) -

Graphic is not that important so I do not see the reason to get it.

#6 Posted by Jacanuk (3926 posts) -

@wiouds said:

The Rift isn't about graphics its about immersion

#7 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@wiouds said:

yup..

and me thinks the consumer edition will be able to handle 720p just fine which appears to be the new generation console standard

#8 Posted by wiouds (5018 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@wiouds said:

Immersion is one of the overrated thing in gaming. I put immersion even lower that graphic.

#9 Posted by Jacanuk (3926 posts) -

@wiouds said:

@Jacanuk said:

@wiouds said:

Immersion is one of the overrated thing in gaming. I put immersion even lower that graphic.

Then clearly the Rift isn't for you because thats what its about, its about tricking the mind as much as possible to believe that what you are seeing is real.

#10 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@wiouds said:

@Jacanuk said:

@wiouds said:

For me immersion is one of the (if the THE) most important thing about a game.

Otherwise I might as well play checkers.

Added: Immersion by the way is a combination of game mechanics as well as graphics. Ironically Wrum has a pretty high immersion factor but low graphics. Much of which is done simply by having a first person view

#11 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@wiouds said:

Tried one and it has no immersion at all. Its just a gimmicky way of viewing a game. It would talk matrix level of immersion for me to actually believe I am killing dragons or flying around in space. All rift does is remind me I am playing a game by having to wear a cumbersome helmet. I get more immersed with a nice sound system and a comfortable place to sit while playing.

Besides, there will never be a large amount of games that support it since it requires a lot of special coding in order for it to work. You don't just plug it in and magically it works on every game.

Rift can sit in the pile of 3d glasses and motion body controls for all I care.

#12 Edited by wiouds (5018 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@wiouds said:

@Jacanuk said:

@wiouds said:

Added: Immersion by the way is a combination of game mechanics as well as graphics. Ironically Wrum has a pretty high immersion factor but low graphics. Much of which is done simply by having a first person view

I think many seem to have immersion = being engrossed in the game. To me immersion in a gaming just mean you feel like you are one of the character in the game. The problem is there are more games that does not allow that than games that do and those that do need the player to agree with a few things.

#13 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@Gargus said:

@Jacanuk said:

@wiouds said:

Tried one and it has no immersion at all. Its just a gimmicky way of viewing a game. It would talk matrix level of immersion for me to actually believe I am killing dragons or flying around in space. All rift does is remind me I am playing a game by having to wear a cumbersome helmet. I get more immersed with a nice sound system and a comfortable place to sit while playing.

Besides, there will never be a large amount of games that support it since it requires a lot of special coding in order for it to work. You don't just plug it in and magically it works on every game.

Rift can sit in the pile of 3d glasses and motion body controls for all I care.

People buy large TV for an increased effect. Some buy multiple monitors to increase effect. A well done VR headset would make that experience light years better and make expensive dual monitor and or large TV setups nearly obsolete for the price of $300.

its not a gimmick its a game changer

#14 Posted by Jacanuk (3926 posts) -

@wiouds said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@wiouds said:

@Jacanuk said:

@wiouds said:

I think many seem to have immersion = being engrossed in the game. To me immersion in a gaming just mean you feel like you are one of the character in the game. The problem is there are more games that does not allow that than games that do and those that do need the player to agree with a few things.

You are right, many see immersion as "deep mental involvement in something." since that is kinda what it means.

And this isent really about games per say, its about a peripheral who can help in archiving this immersion by altering the perception of a game.

#15 Edited by kaealy (1447 posts) -

@Gargus said:

@Jacanuk said:

@wiouds said:

Tried one and it has no immersion at all.

I pretty much stopped reading here. That pretty much the evidence that you didn't try it at all or it wasn't just properly configured. Even though I sold mine, saying that VR isn't the future is pretty stupid.

#16 Posted by wiouds (5018 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@wiouds said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@wiouds said:

@Jacanuk said:

@wiouds said:

You are right, many see immersion as "deep mental involvement in something." since that is kinda what it means.

And this isent really about games per say, its about a peripheral who can help in archiving this immersion by altering the perception of a game.

It seem like more people use immersion to described the feeling of being a character in the game which is not the same thing as "deep mental involvement in something." How else does it make sense when someone attack a game for not being immersion because it was in third person pov.

Sorry but I just do not see how it would help in many games. I do not need or want my third person games to have a first person pov so it would be no different that 3D TVs. If the game can not engross you in it with while you are looking at a screen then it could just be gimmick riding.

#17 Edited by Jacanuk (3926 posts) -

@wiouds said:

It seem like more people use immersion to described the feeling of being a character in the game which is not the same thing as "deep mental involvement in something." How else does it make sense when someone attack a game for not being immersion because it was in third person pov.

Sorry but I just do not see how it would help in many games. I do not need or want my third person games to have a first person pov so it would be no different that 3D TVs. If the game can not engross you in it with while you are looking at a screen then it could just be gimmick riding.

Hmm, i am not 100% sure i get what you mean when you say "feeling of being a character" if you mean that shallow idea that 1st person is being a character then you are a 100% correct, immersion has nothing to do with 1st person. A immersive game could be 1st,3rd or be a fly on the wall

Its all about how it makes you feel, a example is Metro: Last light not one of the best games in the world, but the setting was so great that i felt immersed into the idea that i was really walking around in a world after a nuclear war, just the one area where you walk through the torn abandoned buildings was epic and wow with those flashbacks and the kid crying.

So put that in a more closed setting with a VR like Rift on, i am 100% sure you can magnify that same experience one had while watching a screen 10 fold when its up close and personal and you are almost tricking your mind into thinking you are really there.

Its the future of gaming and anyone who says the rift is a gimmick is insane, the rift might not be technology advanced enough yet, but its getting closer and is a step in the right direction for gaming.

#18 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Will wait for full retail version. This will change everything.

#19 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

I think its dangerious for us to get into a debate over the word immersion.

To be honest its one of those things you either understand or not. If you dont understand immersion then yes, oculus rift is not for you.

#20 Posted by wiouds (5018 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@wiouds said:

Hmm, i am not 100% sure i get what you mean when you say "feeling of being a character" if you mean that shallow idea that 1st person is being a character then you are a 100% correct, immersion has nothing to do with 1st person. A immersive game could be 1st,3rd or be a fly on the wall

Its all about how it makes you feel, a example is Metro: Last light not one of the best games in the world, but the setting was so great that i felt immersed into the idea that i was really walking around in a world after a nuclear war, just the one area where you walk through the torn abandoned buildings was epic and wow with those flashbacks and the kid crying.

So put that in a more closed setting with a VR like Rift on, i am 100% sure you can magnify that same experience one had while watching a screen 10 fold when its up close and personal and you are almost tricking your mind into thinking you are really there.

Its the future of gaming and anyone who says the rift is a gimmick is insane, the rift might not be technology advanced enough yet, but its getting closer and is a step in the right direction for gaming.

If immersion can happen in 1st,3rd or be a fly on the wall them it is not that important.

I did not call it a gimmick. I said gimmick riding. It is where a game use a gimmick in place of being a good game.

It is also insane to say it is the future with no proof but what you see.

#21 Edited by Jacanuk (3926 posts) -

@wiouds said:

@Jacanuk said:

@wiouds said:

If immersion can happen in 1st,3rd or be a fly on the wall them it is not that important.

I did not call it a gimmick. I said gimmick riding. It is where a game use a gimmick in place of being a good game.

I think you misunderstood what i said

I basically said that immersion is individual therefore its kinda hard for you or anyone to say something isn't important to another person or that what they experience isent a "deep mental involvement in the game"

And dont see how its insane to say that something that can enhance most peoples playing experience is the future when that is pretty much what everyone in the industry is saying

#22 Edited by wiouds (5018 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@wiouds said:

@Jacanuk said:

@wiouds said:

I basically said that immersion is individual therefore its kinda hard for you or anyone to say something isn't important to another person or that what they experience isent a "deep mental involvement in the game"

And dont see how its insane to say that something that can enhance most peoples playing experience is the future when that is pretty much what everyone in the industry is saying

It is still just about making it look more pretty.

There is no real proof of how the market will react. I seen too many wrong prediction for the future of gaming that came from those in the industry.

#23 Posted by MirkoS77 (7018 posts) -

Carmack's the Chief Technical Officer. That's enough for me to sit up and take notice.

#24 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@wiouds said:

@Jacanuk said:

@wiouds said:

@Jacanuk said:

@wiouds said:

It is still just about making it look more pretty.

There is no real proof of how the market will react. I seen too many wrong prediction for the future of gaming that came from those in the industry.

Why do people buy 50" TV screens?

same reason...

#25 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

OMG! I just got it and tried it and its amazing.

Its important to try demos that are specifically designed for it (Native support) and with head tracking on.(meaning plug in the usb cable as well) when you do that its friggin amazing and what will be coming game wise is going to be earth shattering.

If you play something like Skyrim which is not designed for it you will be lucky if it doesn't end up confused and in pain. But demos...oh my god...